No Iban - No Money Transfer According To Uk Banks?

Hi guys

hope this is the right place for this thread

Basically I have a increasingly frustrating problem/impasse. I am getting married to a Thai national and am trying to go through the process to get a marriage visa. Now one of the [stupid] rules about this process is that you need a sum of 400,000 THB in your thai bank account.

I do have that, but my father currently holds the money in his in the UK and I wanted him to transfer it over here to my Thai savings account

Where is the problem? The thai savings account only has a Swiftcode, not an IBAN number, as do all banks apparently in Thailand

British bank at the other end is saying they will only accept an IBAN, if that doesnt happen the transfer wont be completed

anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it solved? I think someone must have changed the rules without thinking about countries which dont use the IBAN system. Worst thing is you try asking and its like people are automatons at desk level i.e. 'No IBAN no transfer, No IBAN no transfer...ask your bank, ask your bank'. Have tried that, but if they dont have an IBAN then what? It semas people know nothing and at my wits end. Any help will be gratefully received

cheers in advance :-)

all the years[30] that i have sent or had my bank sent to me i have never had to give them an iban no.i have a transfer form in front of me now which says,you must ensure the correct account no.OR iban no.is recorded to avoid the risk of payment loss.but you should have your banks swift code as well as your acc.no.

I asked my father and he says there is a draft of new rules to prevent money laundering so this bank he has got the money in [HSBC or nat west I think] are refusing to accept anything except for an IBAN. Gave all the correct information before that but the transaction keeps bouncing back to his account and they just wont process it. Everything else he has done, including a accoutants receipt to prove the cash isnt the proceeds of drug money

I dont know whether there is just some wizened zombie behind the desk or whether the rules have got more stringent. if they have that means money transfers by the banks are by definition impossible as Thailand dont use IBAN's

I havent got much time left on this Tourist visa either so its quite urgent but the UK banks are being spectacularly unhelpful and/or ignorant about the Thai banking processes. Its like they treat people like a cross between Pablo Escobar and Gary Glitter if they think you are sending money out there. Its infuriating

Been based in Thailand since 2009 and this is the first time I have tried transferring money at that scale and its proved an exercise of futility

Edited by RichBKK

IBAN coding only applies to basically european countries and some middle eastern countries. It does not exist for countries like USA, Australia Singapore Thailand India etc so I suspect that your bank in the UK needs to update themselves. If you provide Bank Name, Branch and account number and name plus the SWIFT code of your Thai Bank then the transfer can be made like thousands of others that are made daily.

Suggest you by pass your current contact and move higher up the Bank if you can

• Like 2

IBAN is a European thing, tell the bank to remove the ill informed teller who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I wondered if it was just some johnny-no-stars at the bank who is giving out the wrong information, I will inform my dad anyhow and see if he can go in and shout at them again or something.

In the meantime, anyone else, please share their experiences, anything is useful

I think its what you say..... "just some wizened zombie behind the desk"

This was produced by using the search facility on the HSBC website itself

Things you should know

Before making a payment, you'll need to have your HSBC account number and sort code to hand. You'll also need the following information about the receiver:

their full name, their full postal address, their International Bank Account Number (IBAN) or account number / BSB number (where the destination country does not use IBANs), their bank sort code, their bank's SWIFT BIC code and their bank's intermediary SWIFT BIC Code

Payments will be routed overseas using this information. Incorrect or invalid information may lead to the payment being delayed or rejected by the overseas bank. In such cases, because of charges and differences in exchange rates, you may not receive the full amount back.

IBAN is a European thing, tell the bank to remove the ill informed teller who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I wondered if it was just some johnny-no-stars at the bank who is giving out the wrong information, I will inform my dad anyhow and see if he can go in and shout at them again or something.

In the meantime, anyone else, please share their experiences, anything is useful

What Daveroc has said is 100% correct, international commerce would have collapsed overnight if it were true.

How to do this is a basic teller function.

This is a paltry sum, worst case have him take cash to a different bank or WU.

Don't want to be Johhny negative but is it at all possible Da doesn't want to send this to you?

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

What Daveroc has said is 100% correct, international commerce would have collapsed overnight if it were true.

How to do this is a basic teller function.

This is a paltry sum, worst case have him take cash to a different bank or WU.

Don't want to be Johhny negative but is it at all possible Da doesn't want to send this to you?

Nah, can tell, hes genuinely pissed off with their prevaricating. I wonder if we have stumbled upon a paranoid/ultra cautious bank clerk. Wouldnt be the first time I guess

I had a similar problem when I went into a Nationwide in the UK. A clueless tellar (admittedly they are normally v good at nationwide), insisted that I needed an IBAN code. Ended up doing it myself via the on-line banking facility using a swift transfer. Nationwide email you back a copy of the transfer and below is the relevent fields needed:

BIC/SWIFT Code: GSBATHBK

IBAN/Account Number: 00-0000-00-000000-0

The swift code shown is the one for the Thailand GSB (Government Savings Bank).

The account number is that of the recieving account in the GSB (obviously zeroed to prevent any dodgy TV's from emptyng the account).

You should be able to find the appropriate swift code for your thai bank from the internet.

Have pasted the Full list of details required at the end of this email, obviously with my details blanked out or zeroed.

Hope this helps.

ChatterRat

--- Original Message ---

To: "Customer Services"

Subject: SWIFT

Customer Number:

Flex Account:

Customer Name:

Payment Type: SWIFT

Currency to be sent: Thai Baht (THB)

Amount in THB: 0

Daytime Contact Number:

Receiving Account Holder

Exact Name:

Street:

Town/City:

BIC/SWIFT Code: GSBATHBK

IBAN/Account Number: 00-0000-00-000000-0

Reference Number / Additional Information:

Note Nationwide state that Additional Info has to be filled in when sending money to Thailand.(Money Laundering security feature I guess).

Receiving Bank

Name: Government Savings Bank (GSB)

Street:

Town/City:

Additional charges to be debited from: My FlexAccount

Open a Bangkok Bank account, transfer into LONDON branch, they pass it on to Thai Bangkok Bank account, quicker easier and cheaper and no other crap to deal with as UK bank to UK bank.

Edited by CharlieH

If it is a small bank, it may not be setup to do international transfers, as there may be almost no demand for it. it may use a correspondance

bank to do international transfers. SWIFT codes are an international banking standard for doing international transfers. Ask the a bank manager

if they have a corresponding bank. It will be beyond any teller's knowledge.

I have run into a similar issue with some U.S. banks. Wanting a routing number and SWIFT on their forms. One of my U.S. banks wouldn't do ANY international transfers. They are now out of business. Serves them right. In any case, I would elevate this issue at your UK bank as you can't supply something that doesn't exist. Of course, the money could be moved to another UK bank and then by SWIFT if the problem can't be solved.

If it is a small bank, it may not be setup to do international transfers, as there may be almost no demand for it. it may use a correspondance

bank to do international transfers. SWIFT codes are an international banking standard for doing international transfers. Ask the a bank manager

It's the HSBC, the biggest bank in the world that advertises itself as "The world's local bank'.

Sounds like some rookie teller that doesn't know what they're doing, get your dad to speak to the branch manager.

I have run into a similar issue with some U.S. banks. Wanting a routing number and SWIFT on their forms. One of my U.S. banks wouldn't do ANY international transfers. They are now out of business. Serves them right. In any case, I would elevate this issue at your UK bank as you can't supply something that doesn't exist. Of course, the money could be moved to another UK bank and then by SWIFT if the problem can't be solved.

Maybe I'm missing the point here JT but it doesn't seem unreasonable that your US bank would require a routing number (presumably you mean an ABA number) and a SWIFT number. Unless I'm mistaken, SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) is the international standard for funds transfers hence all banks would understand that system whereas ABA numbering may not be understood by either the sending bank or the correspondant bank.

I can transfer funds from my Lloyds-TSB account to my Bangkok Bank account online now. Really easy.

Not if the account is offshore,IOM for instance.Really makes no sense to have a banking system that alkows UK transfers internationally online but can't do online tranfers from international transfers from offshore accounts.

Back to the original question-you do not need IBAN to transfer UK to Thailand swift code is what is required -100%

Edited by Thailand

I can transfer funds from my Lloyds-TSB account to my Bangkok Bank account online now. Really easy.

Not if the account is offshore,IOM for instance.Really makes no sense to have a banking system that alkows UK transfers internationally online but can't do online tranfers from international transfers from offshore accounts.

Back to the original question-you do not need IBAN to transfer UK to Thailand swift code is what is required -100%

Is this a new policy from Lloyds as it's been a while since I transferred money from my IoM account but it has always been possible before.

Is this a new policy from Lloyds as it's been a while since I transferred money from my IoM account but it has always been possible before.

It's new to me. Previously I had to either do it through telephone banking or use an International Money Mover form. Very easy now.

Update, I told my dad all the info on here by email along with getting the swiftcode etc, he printed our emails out and took it in to the bank

They seem to have admitted their original info [as you all correctly said on here] was wrong and said the money should be with me by friday or monday at the latest

here's hoping...

cheers everyone, been very helpful :-)

I asked my father and he says there is a draft of new rules to prevent money laundering so this bank he has got the money in [HSBC or nat west I think] are refusing to accept anything except for an IBAN. Gave all the correct information before that but the transaction keeps bouncing back to his account and they just wont process it. Everything else he has done, including a accoutants receipt to prove the cash isnt the proceeds of drug money

I dont know whether there is just some wizened zombie behind the desk or whether the rules have got more stringent. if they have that means money transfers by the banks are by definition impossible as Thailand dont use IBAN's

I havent got much time left on this Tourist visa either so its quite urgent but the UK banks are being spectacularly unhelpful and/or ignorant about the Thai banking processes. Its like they treat people like a cross between Pablo Escobar and Gary Glitter if they think you are sending money out there. Its infuriating

Been based in Thailand since 2009 and this is the first time I have tried transferring money at that scale and its proved an exercise of futility

You have two options

1/ Transfer via the Swift code of your Thai Bank, thus give the UK bank the following details.

Name of your Thai Bank,

Swift code ...

Your A/c Number ...

Beneficiary. John Smith ...

2/ If your Thai Bank has a London branch, then you can use the UK transfer system of BACS, give

the UK bank the following details of the London Thai Bank Branch.

Name of the Thai Bank (in London)

Sort Code,

Thai Bank A/c No ...

Your A/c. No ...

Beneficiary John Smith ...

Do either of the above via the internet, that is all you need, and you don't need IBAN

IBAN for non European accounts is simply the account number. I do it all the time from the UK. Get you dad to try a bigger branch of the bank, they will know this (I have had confusion with small branches in the UK - Barclays specifically - big branch just knew).

I am sure that you intended to be helpful but frankly this post is nonsense. Reading the earlier posts would have told you it was a major international bank. Also, the term you were looking for was 'Correspondent bank' - not applicable though.

Hopefully, the money has now been received but it is high time he OP set himself up with the ability to do online SWIFT transfers from the UK. I favour the Halifax for relative user-friendliness of their system and the GBP 9.50 charge. The do seem to have slipped to 3rd working day for receipt in Thailand since their last systems update.

I am sure that you intended to be helpful but frankly this post is nonsense. Reading the earlier posts would have told you it was a major international bank. Also, the term you were looking for was 'Correspondent bank' - not applicable though.

Hopefully, the money has now been received but it is high time he OP set himself up with the ability to do online SWIFT transfers from the UK. I favour the Halifax for relative user-friendliness of their system and the GBP 9.50 charge. The do seem to have slipped to 3rd working day for receipt in Thailand since their last systems update.

A SWIFT charge of GBP 9.50 from Halifax is bound to be a bonus, since general SWIFT charges from most UK banks are between 20.00 and 40.00 pounds.

How long will Halifax carry on with this low SWIFT charges which benefits those account holders that reduce Halifax deposits.

Update, my money arrived on cue. They have also kept my details on their computers back in the uk which should ensure no further problems of this nature in the future. Which is good as there is other money that will be transferred in the coming months i.e. dowry related stuff and some money my grandad left me in his will. The bank is now aware of that and know I am not a money launderer or anything so the problem is now solved

I think the point made about smaller branches not being as tuned in to how money transfers work for certain places as larger ones, even with major bank outlets is correct here. But they know now

cheers guys