Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

Where is the new Global going to be at KPP?

Bill.

Just after you turn down to Mike's place in fact right on the corner of his Soi I believe the exit from Global will be in Mike Soi. Mike told me last night that the opening would be as stated 24th but TIT so who knows.

I see that your resident snapper has been at it again well done H/P at least H/M and all do get some reliable info when he posts. The Walk shopping centre what's that all about any idea's about what store's/shops will be in there???

Yes still trying to work out Dave's bit re QPR/Arsenal or even 'The Hub of tranquillity' indeed H'M think's the smog has got to him, will work on it over the weekend.

For Wayned.

QPR.

Queens Park Rangers. But it turns out to be Crystal Palace, Or could it be Nottingham forest where royalty come's from them I don't know. You have to be a Brit to understand. Bit like the rules in American football you have to be a Yank.

The ashes now their something else.

H/M.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QPR, here we go again! Just as confusing as "bowlers" bouncing balls at stumps!. How is QPR an abbreviation for Crustal Palace?

NO no no! Its Queens Park Rangers, nothing to do with the Queen herself, nothing to do with gay men or anything like that, just a small west London football club, owned by Tony Fernando( no not Abba) who owns Air Asia. They got relegated last season but are doing ok this season but not many own up to supporting them.

Nothing to do with Crystal palace which is sarf Lundon, they have crept into the the top flight for a brief visit, be down again next season and no the Queen dont live there either.

Ah ashes! Isn't that something you put on the charcoal to keep the steak from burning?

Your not far off there if you look up ashes cricket and gaze at Wikipedia all will be revealed suffice to say that several grown men try to win a cricket match for some burnt wood in a jug. Sad really, they don't even have cheer leaders, but do ware crash helmets.

H/M.

Watcha Bill,

just returned from a week in Patters and have managed to get some flour for 45 bts in TOPS supermarket, 1.5k, I knw you were looking for some at one time, I am hoping to get into Yorkshire Puddings soon.

I have just struggled to finish my lunch.

Homemade Cornish pasty.

attachicon.gifDSCF3530.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3532.JPG

Must admit I like a good oggy. Last time we were in England all I could find were Ginster's ventures to make a good one. Unfortunately they hadn't succeeded. We didn't have time to visit the South West.

Your's look appetising and seeing them has rekindled my thoughts of trying to bake my own here. One thing I've never seen here though is swede or turnip.

Where did you find yours?

Jerry

I've never seen turnip or swede here either, so I use diced pumpkin in stead when making pasties, it makes a good substitute.licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Try adding the dykon or whatever the call that long white radish like vegatable here.

Thought you had to pull the pastry up from both sides so the line is in the middle.

If you are in ChiangMai Sausage king makes a good one. No turnips though in the one I had.

A genuine Cornish pasty is always crimped on the side NEVER on the top, in Devon they crimp them on the top so they become Devon pasty's don't ask they are still fighting over who make the best and where they fist came from. There doesn't seem to be a fixed rule on what veg you put in whatever's lying about your radish would work fine as well as carrot.

H/M

The white radish refered to recently was called in England Mooli, we got it from Africa, its often seen here in noodle dishes, so for soups its good but when roasted it becomes very bitter.

Just dunk it in boiling salted water first then pat dry roast and the bitterness go's.

Right last email for a week or two so make the most of it orf to BKK midday??? depends what time my cab arrives I suppose that I will have to wave to the well wishers down the N/S by-pass only hope they don't put out to much bunting not to mention flags, if it's not to late No bloody Stars and Stripes. So you don't miss me I shall be adorned in my Hunt Master red jacket and jodhpurs, photos can be taken of myself but only by professionals last thing H/M want's is blurred images of one.

Will Tap soon take care and stay out of the smog not easy I know but have a try.

H/M.

K.P.PHET.

W/H CITY.

A genuine Cornish pasty is always crimped on the side NEVER on the top, in Devon they crimp them on the top so they become Devon pasty's don't ask they are still fighting over who make the best and where they fist came from. There doesn't seem to be a fixed rule on what veg you put in whatever's lying about your radish would work fine as well as carrot.

H/M

A traditional Cornish Pasty is reputably reported to have the pastry crimpwd on one side, but not the top or edge. Even Ginster's get this right. Although I've had many a pasty made in Cornwall by Cornish folk which have been crimped on the top and very nice they were too.

Traditionally the ingredients are; beef, potato, turnip and onions. Some (again made in Cornwall) have carrot added as well and these are okay too.

The turnip adds a flavor that is fairly robust and unique in root vegetables. Turnip (Hua Pak Gaat) is available in Thailand although I haven't found it yet. It's used in traditional Pad Thai albeit pickled (Hua Chai Po).

Jerry

Where is the new Global going to be at KPP?

Bill.

Just after you turn down to Mike's place in fact right on the corner of his Soi I believe the exit from Global will be in Mike Soi. Mike told me last night that the opening would be as stated 24th but TIT so who knows.

I see that your resident snapper has been at it again well done H/P at least H/M and all do get some reliable info when he posts. The Walk shopping centre what's that all about any idea's about what store's/shops will be in there???

Yes still trying to work out Dave's bit re QPR/Arsenal or even 'The Hub of tranquillity' indeed H'M think's the smog has got to him, will work on it over the weekend.

For Wayned.

QPR.

Queens Park Rangers. But it turns out to be Crystal Palace, Or could it be Nottingham forest where royalty come's from them I don't know. You have to be a Brit to understand. Bit like the rules in American football you have to be a Yank.

The ashes now their something else.

H/M.

Thanks Fred

I will have a look up that way next time I come down from the mountains.

H/M

A traditional Cornish Pasty is reputably reported to have the pastry crimpwd on one side, but not the top or edge. Even Ginster's get this right. Although I've had many a pasty made in Cornwall by Cornish folk which have been crimped on the top and very nice they were too.

Traditionally the ingredients are; beef, potato, turnip and onions. Some (again made in Cornwall) have carrot added as well and these are okay too.

The turnip adds a flavor that is fairly robust and unique in root vegetables. Turnip (Hua Pak Gaat) is available in Thailand although I haven't found it yet. It's used in traditional Pad Thai albeit pickled (Hua Chai Po).

Jerry

One of my pasties got nailed shut rather than crimped as it had a big lump in it.

'er indoors was moaning that one of the kittens had disappeared.

The pasty was fine with HP sauce but it is the first time I have eaten a pasty with bones and fur in it.

H/M

Jerry

One of my pasties got nailed shut rather than crimped as it had a big lump in it.

'er indoors was moaning that one of the kittens had disappeared.

The pasty was fine with HP sauce but it is the first time I have eaten a pasty with bones and fur in it.

There's only one kind of fluff that I like. but I've never tried it flavored with HP sauce.

Seriously though, you're right. The important thing about food is whether it tastes good or not (and doesn't kill you). Purist recipes are fine but not all foods of the same name have the same proportion of ingredients which is just as well because different folks have different tastes. So if you like it, eat it, is what I say.

The quest for the mighty turnip continues. I've heard that they're available in North-Eastern parts toward the end of the cool season. Hope that's before January.

Jerry

Spot on Jerry but you know what I miss is Swede and Parsnips, never seen them here.I was thinking the other day, ghosh doesnt it make your head hurt these days, when I listen to the cricket they have their own names for people and places, you know Jonathon Agnew became aggers, Henry Blofeld became blowers etc and I was thinking that here, well, I pop down to Patters and Fred lives in Kippers and I live in Nakhers, where do you live?biggrin.png

Spot on Jerry but you know what I miss is Swede and Parsnips, never seen them here.I was thinking the other day, ghosh doesnt it make your head hurt these days, when I listen to the cricket they have their own names for people and places, you know Jonathon Agnew became aggers, Henry Blofeld became blowers etc and I was thinking that here, well, I pop down to Patters and Fred lives in Kippers and I live in Nakhers, where do you live?biggrin.png

Well, the nearest large town is Phitsonulok. So, I suppose you could say that I live in the pits.

Jerry

H/M

Jerry

Ha Pak Gaat is here it looks like a giant white radish, should do the job along with onions, carrots, potato and some beef, then you have got to think about the herbs and spices.

Hey Nong, have you seen the watch towers that have been erected on top of the BIB boxes at the new Big C junction and the Sawan Park junction?

It looks as though Big Brother will be keeping an eye on us from a high!!!sad.png

Yep a double decker with a plastic policeman and a 7-11 advert, still it will be cooler for them have a coffee!

Obviously from your continued postings you have not experienced the TOT internet problem that I have had for the past 4 days. On Wednesday night I lost ADSL. I called the call center on Thursday morning at 0700 and reported the problem. I got a call back at 0900 saying that there was an "area" problem and it would be corrected in the afternoon.. On Friday morning it was still not working so I called them again and was told the same thing and that somebody would call me to tell me when it would be fixed. No cal on Friday, so on Saturday morning I called again and told them that it was still out. They told me that someone would call me today. At about 0930 I received a call from the same guy that called on Thursday and he immediately handed his phone to his wife who could speak basic English. The result was that it would be fixed today. The internet came back on at about 1130 but the speed is very slow, 2.55MBS download ( I used to have over 5) and 29kbps upload (used to be over 400).

Is this total BS or have you all been experiencing the problem and now have reduced speed?

Obviously from your continued postings you have not experienced the TOT internet problem that I have had for the past 4 days. On Wednesday night I lost ADSL. I called the call center on Thursday morning at 0700 and reported the problem. I got a call back at 0900 saying that there was an "area" problem and it would be corrected in the afternoon.. On Friday morning it was still not working so I called them again and was told the same thing and that somebody would call me to tell me when it would be fixed. No cal on Friday, so on Saturday morning I called again and told them that it was still out. They told me that someone would call me today. At about 0930 I received a call from the same guy that called on Thursday and he immediately handed his phone to his wife who could speak basic English. The result was that it would be fixed today. The internet came back on at about 1130 but the speed is very slow, 2.55MBS download ( I used to have over 5) and 29kbps upload (used to be over 400).

Is this total BS or have you all been experiencing the problem and now have reduced speed?

It must be a N/S problem I was asked the other week would I like 10mb for 30bt extra a month from TOT told them yes and never had a problem since get around 9.5 every day then again H/M does live in K.P.Phet the place to live allegedly, so you mob will just have to put up with the crap you get there. As you will see that's if your comp's: are working at all H/M is now back on line.

My trip back was great no stars and stripes on the by-pass just lot's of happy peep's waving thank Buddha, up date to follow asap.

H/M.

We have had 2 days now with no rain but three days ago had 3 storms in 24 hours, the river level is noticeably higher with a lot a water watchers spending their time aimlessly on the promenade, I should go and sell deck chairs! There is plenty of room to the top no so imminent danger of flooding. Some stables have been noted heading down stream "H/M- KPP" on the side and some knackered cart horses surrounding them, few pairs of jodphurs and red jackets, all fit to the size of little boys, see what happens when you buy off the Market in Patters!

What's all this Kippers did try the Waitrose one's from Tops once bloody rubbish 90% salt.

Update on trip back.

2 night's in Soi Nana BKK on my own!!! but ate well Cabbages & condoms in Soi 12 highly recommended you even get free condoms with the bill a nice touch H/M thought.

Trip on EVA Air Friday first class yet more delish food 8 courses including Lobster, fillet steak, and Godiva chocolates and that was just part of the first of two meal's.

Saturday shopping Oh how the prices have gone up since March.

The usual boring meal on Sunday Lamb 'mint sauce it's Brit thing' those dreaded parsnips (thought of you Dave) Brussels sprouts how H/M is going to get on for the rest of my stay here Buddha only knows, by the way it's going so far a steam room might be needed before the return.

Weather is also top notch 14C today and it's sunny, thank the lord I've got warm tog's.

Hope you get back on line soon Wayned ever thought of moving to a nicer place according to the powers that be K.P.Phet is the bizz.

H/M.

K.P.PHET.

W/H CITY.

MORE rain this afternoon and yet more gifts from Changers, Takers and Kippers! Usual stuff, odd flip flops, ladies knickers you know, rumoue has it that there will be a big jumble sale in Chai Nat sunday week.

Reports coming in that Makro has Cornish Pasties ( 12 for 600bts) near the "pees" I have been in both toilets and no sign, so it could be just a ruse although sausages were mentioned, Cumberland and some other variety so I might well motor over there again in a couple of days and have another look, I expect as I write Cornish folk are scrambling down to the bus station with cool boxes, hello Mr Ginster goodbye Jackie Chan!

Readers will note that these alleged goodies turned up as that Toff from Kippers left the region, probably just a coincidence.

We have had 2 days now with no rain but three days ago had 3 storms in 24 hours, the river level is noticeably higher with a lot a water watchers spending their time aimlessly on the promenade, I should go and sell deck chairs! There is plenty of room to the top no so imminent danger of flooding. Some stables have been noted heading down stream "H/M- KPP" on the side and some knackered cart horses surrounding them, few pairs of jodphurs and red jackets, all fit to the size of little boys, see what happens when you buy off the Market in Patters!

Not much rain in K.P.P so the G/L tells me another reason to live there I suppose on top of the weather there's first class peep's to chat to.

If there's any water rushing down the river it's not from us as the Ping is still low, but that was also from the G/L and as she Thai not much of a guarantee. The Stable's are nice and dry thank you the G/L can still sleep there without a problem. Regarding the cart Horses they are more than likely discards from the American mob decided to get out when he started playing his penny whistle.

H/M.

Not much rain in K.P.P so the G/L tells me another reason to live there I suppose on top of the weather there's first class peep's to chat to.

If there's any water rushing down the river it's not from us as the Ping is still low, but that was also from the G/L and as she Thai not much of a guarantee. The Stable's are nice and dry thank you the G/L can still sleep there without a problem. Regarding the cart Horses they are more than likely discards from the American mob decided to get out when he started playing his penny whistle.

H/M.

The water level in the Ping river was up a bit today compared with last Tuesday and most of the islands have disappeared.

Also I wandered out to the Global House site this morning and it seems as though the 28th may be the opening day.

I have been keeping my powder dry of late, but am about to let you have both barrels about something big at Bung Borapet so keep tuned.

Today again 3 big dumps of rain, so have been confined to quarters. Not worry too much the Hub is still functioning.

I have been keeping my powder dry of late, but am about to let you have both barrels about something big at Bung Borapet so keep tuned.

Today again 3 big dumps of rain, so have been confined to quarters. Not worry too much the Hub is still functioning.

Keeping your powder dry so that's what it's called you haven't been about for months glad to see your still with us thought you might have left that flooding non internet place for good. Look's like Wayned has decided to give the internet a miss, not been heard of as late either. Then again he might have been looking for better climbs K.P.P. maybe ??? only hope that he doesn't become H/M next door neighbour last thing H/M want's is penny whistle blowing rubbish in the morning.

Anyway nice to see you back, and looking forward to the update 'read both barrels' about Bung Borapet, it's not that they are getting a 7/11 perchance.

H/M.

K.P.PHET .

W/H CITY.

I haven't been given the internet a miss on purpose! Since last Wednesday it's been intermittent-net and continues to be so no matter how much I complain to TOT and there isn't any other option! Hope exeter's powder is dry and ready as my potato(e) cannon conversion has become a complete failure. No rain yesterday and the only "chariots" that have passed by recently are green and have had John Deere 9500 painted on the side.

This morning was absolutely amazing! The village chief from a neighboring village came over to my house before dawn with a handful of green John Deere manuals that he wanted me to translate into Thai. He bought a used JD harvester the day before and had absolutely no idea how to work it. After about three hours of trying to translate the technical terms using the internet I gave up and off we went to the green monster parked in his front yard. It was amazing, after I finally managed to get into the cab I was driving the beast down the road and cultivated 20 + rai of corn before he took over! Opps don't tell anybody because I didn't have a work permit. Where's there a will there's a way for us underclass!

Archived