Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

What Ho, Bill.

I assume you know the Steak BKK but there is a new one not been there yet sent the wife in the other day to look at their menu and she had a good look round but as usual never looked at the most vital thing the menu showing what they do cost etc but all look's Ok big snap's outside.

Right position, coming from the Football ground down the ping road turn left when you get to the Chinese temple then first right just before the Naverat hotel some 200mt further on that road called the Café something Close's I believe at 9pm.

Mike told me the other day that there was two non Thai restaurant's that had just opened in K.P.P found that one but where the other is Buddha knows. Might give it a go this week but as the steak BKK comes up trumps every time always seem to go there large Leo 60bt not bad for a restaurant.

Was at Mike's place last Saturday and he was packed to the gunnels, usual mixture upper class westerners and Thai's all consuming his fab western food 'he doesn't sell any Thai stuff or rice come to that' + great German Beer, he has a new one a wheat beer 7.9%, don't need to many of those. Don't tell any of those N/S crowd the last thing we want is having them descending on us like a swarm of locusts lowering the tone just wouldn't be cricket.

Fred.

Edited by fredob43

Wotcher HM

I will be making a ration run tomorrow and hopefully meeting Paul somewhere.

I will give you a call sometime during the day but when I have no idea.

Cheers from the hall of the mountain King.

Oberon

Edited by billd766

Wotcher HM

Oberon

Pauls at his new place near TOT your welcome to call in for a tea or coffee I'll make it this time as Mrs H/M seems to make a complete B/lls up in the coffee direction.

H/M.

Wotcher HM

Oberon

Pauls at his new place near TOT your welcome to call in for a tea or coffee I'll make it this time as Mrs H/M seems to make a complete B/lls up in the coffee direction.

H/M.

OK if time permits.

Watcha Bill,

just returned from a week in Patters and have managed to get some flour for 45 bts in TOPS supermarket, 1.5k, I knw you were looking for some at one time, I am hoping to get into Yorkshire Puddings soon.

Watcha Bill,

just returned from a week in Patters and have managed to get some flour for 45 bts in TOPS supermarket, 1.5k, I knw you were looking for some at one time, I am hoping to get into Yorkshire Puddings soon.

I have just struggled to finish my lunch.

Homemade Cornish pasty.

post-5614-0-87356500-1377239267_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-83444500-1377239309_thumb.jp

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

attachicon.gifDSCF3530.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3532.JPG

Must admit I like a good oggy. Last time we were in England all I could find were Ginster's ventures to make a good one. Unfortunately they hadn't succeeded. We didn't have time to visit the South West.

Your's look appetising and seeing them has rekindled my thoughts of trying to bake my own here. One thing I've never seen here though is swede or turnip.

Where did you find yours?

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Cornelius

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

Must admit I like a good oggy. Last time we were in England all I could find were Ginster's ventures to make a good one. Unfortunately they hadn't succeeded. We didn't have time to visit the South West.

Your's look appetising and seeing them has rekindled my thoughts of trying to bake my own here. One thing I've never seen here though is swede or turnip.

Jerry

Or parsnips surely they must be about even frozen ??? Morrisons do a good pasty well in Exeter they do. Bill also make's a good Anzac bickie.

That reminds me Bill I see that Paul who by the way doesn't supply coffee free or otherwise got three of the buggers and H/M only got two and that was more by luck than judgement.

H/M.

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Sadly at least out in rural Thailand where I live I can't always get what I want or need so I modify the recipes whilst keeping to the general ideas.

I have never stuck to the idea that there is only true recipe and anything else is sacrilige or blasphemy.

The next batch will have worcester sauce marinading the beef or perhaps some soy sauce. Maybe I will add mustard to the pastry mix and perhaps a little chilli to the filling. I may even cook a batch with puff pastry instead of short crust pastry.

It depends on how I feel the day I do it.

I used carrot instead of swede or turnip because I had carrot and it worked, at least for me.

I have two left in my freezer before the next batch.

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

Jerry

Or parsnips surely they must be about even frozen ??? Morrisons do a good pasty well in Exeter they do. Bill also make's a good Anzac bickie.

That reminds me Bill I see that Paul who by the way doesn't supply coffee free or otherwise got three of the buggers and H/M only got two and that was more by luck than judgement.

H/M.

Paul doesn't even have a kettle down there yet.

You would have had another but I ran out of time.

The new batch are tasty too.

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

Jerry

I've never seen turnip or swede here either, so I use diced pumpkin in stead when making pasties, it makes a good substitute.licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

If you live here long enough you will lean to substitute things for those that you would normally use. I have a big pan of pumpkin in the oven ready to roast, coated with olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon. I have no idea what I will cook once it is done , but it is good with just some asian dressing dribbled over it or a bruschetta with roasted tomatoes and cheese and dressing, or just mashed or pureed with butter. Could even make a pumpkin pie or pumpkin ice cream!

Watcha Bill,

Homemade Cornish pasty.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Sadly at least out in rural Thailand where I live I can't always get what I want or need so I modify the recipes whilst keeping to the general ideas.

I have never stuck to the idea that there is only true recipe and anything else is sacrilige or blasphemy.

The next batch will have worcester sauce marinading the beef or perhaps some soy sauce. Maybe I will add mustard to the pastry mix and perhaps a little chilli to the filling. I may even cook a batch with puff pastry instead of short crust pastry.

It depends on how I feel the day I do it.

I used carrot instead of swede or turnip because I had carrot and it worked, at least for me.

I have two left in my freezer before the next batch.

Thanks Bill (and all),

I just thought you may have come across the real thing.

I've looked everywhere for frozen and always check the freezer section in western(ised) stores

Tried different pumpkin and some of the long radishes at some time or other. Sometimes they've been okay but none make a fair substitute when making nepes and tatties on Burn's Night.

Radish and carrot could work in an oggy though. When I get around to testing my culinary talent, I'll give it a go.

Jerry

You know making a pasty is like making a soup, its different every time! In the UK trying to find the perfect pasty was a passtime, albeit an expensive one, now well, away you go do what you can and hope for the best with the local ingredients, its a hobby isnt it? Eating and drinking, enjoy life eh?

Incidently I have tasted something here that tasted like celery, anyone like to fill me in on what the name of it was?

See Arsenal won today and the cricket was rather wetbiggrin.pngsad.png .

You know making a pasty is like making a soup, its different every time! In the UK trying to find the perfect pasty was a passtime, albeit an expensive one, now well, away you go do what you can and hope for the best with the local ingredients, its a hobby isnt it? Eating and drinking, enjoy life eh?

Incidently I have tasted something here that tasted like celery, anyone like to fill me in on what the name of it was?

See Arsenal won today and the cricket was rather wet:D:( .

Makro sell celery large like UK one and the Thai stuff looks a bit like coriander both work the same but you have to put more of the Thai one in. Doesn't go that well with cheese as it doesn't have the same bite, work's well in a salad though. Update on name in the morning as Mrs H/M is sleeping and to wake her would be more than my life's worth.

H/M.

Edited by fredob43

See Arsenal won today and the cricket was rather wet:D:( .

Makro sell celery large like UK one and the Thai stuff looks a bit like coriander both work the same but you have to put more of the Thai one in. Doesn't go that well with cheese as it doesn't have the same bite, work's well in a salad though. Update on name in the morning as Mrs H/M is sleeping and to wake her would be more than my life's worth.

H/M.

Right Dave this is phonetic 'PAK KUN CHAI' Thai celery you can get it on most Thai stall's that sell veggie good in stews or anything that you would use the English stuff for, would even go well in Bill's pasty. The leaves tend to go a bit grey after they are cooked but the stems are ok use the leave's in a sandwich or as said salad. Wash well as can be gritty cheap like coriander, Delish.

H/M.

Just a little obvious tip for everyone, always have a look in the frozen section of Makro you never what might turn up as one off, brussels turned up once and then were gone here in NS, I expect they thought they were lucky to get rid of the rubbish Farang food, best not order any more in case we get stuck with it mentality. Found a pack of American smoked bacon once as well, I have not forgotten, Makro have! So you never know what might turn up, today I saw a hug display of mixed peas,corn and green beans for 49 bts, steak tomorrow!

Have a look one day you might get a surprise and I dont mean when you bend over the freezers either!

Just a little obvious tip for everyone, always have a look in the frozen section of Makro you never what might turn up as one off, brussels turned up once and then were gone here in NS, I expect they thought they were lucky to get rid of the rubbish Farang food, best not order any more in case we get stuck with it mentality. Found a pack of American smoked bacon once as well, I have not forgotten, Makro have! So you never know what might turn up, today I saw a hug display of mixed peas,corn and green beans for 49 bts, steak tomorrow!

Have a look one day you might get a surprise and I dont mean when you bend over the freezers either!

Did just that during the week and also found the Yanky bacon in with there sausages/burgers that I believe are crap. They have had some good Steak lately tender and quite tasty.

H/M

They used to sell Cumberland sausages which were quite tasty but they disappeared from the freezers.

Last time I was at Makro I found a printout of what they sell and the sausages were in there.

Perhaps we should ask them to order in.

They used to sell Cumberland sausages which were quite tasty but they disappeared from the freezers.

Last time I was at Makro I found a printout of what they sell and the sausages were in there.

I get them to order thing's for me they have a very nice YOUNG lady not as pretty as the one before but speaks good English. Just ask and they will get it for you the only problem is they some time's only get by the box but it's never to large there is a plus by the box is a lot cheaper. They used to do bread roll's to reheat but they stopped doing them for several months they got a couple of box's for me then and the saving's were about 25% they now have in the freezer Dep: by the pack and without the discount. Re the Yank bacon some time's it's fatty and I give it a miss but if you get a box it's take it as it comes.

H/M.

American bacon should be fatty, so when you fry it the fat gets good and crisp (salt it before frying) and then it sticks good to the inside of your arteries or adds to the girth of your midsection. Yummy!

See Arsenal won today and the cricket was rather wetbiggrin.pngsad.png .

If my pasties turn out to be like soup I think it would indicate that I should give up cooking.

Seriously though, there are some foods that should only be cooked with traditional ingredients as we remember them (like momma used to make). I'm sure every-one has their own special meal which if cooked with alternatives just doesn't pass muster. I mean what do you like to eat at Christmas or Thanksgiving?

Barbequed spicy chicken with fried rice and stir fried greens in oyster sauce tastes okay, but it just doesn't cut it.

Jerry

On our way back from Bangkok two weeks ago, we stopped for lunch at one of the fish restaurants at Bung Boraphet.

Before hitting the highway again we called in at Makro. I noticed they had Cumberland sausage in the freezer section when I was checking for other things. They were about 200 Baht for a 1kg pack.

Bought 2 packs.

Jerry

American bacon should be fatty, so when you fry it the fat gets good and crisp (salt it before frying) and then it sticks good to the inside of your arteries or adds to the girth of your midsection. Yummy!

There's fatty and fatty just brought some and it was about 20% fat delish some time's it can be 80% fat I know how to cook it crispy but the last thing I want is to have 90% of it left in the griddle as molten grease, and a 14" rasher reduced to I" "= inch sorry I don't do metric.

Re J/C post the best meal I ever had at Christmas was a cheddar cheese sandwich with Branston pickle proper food, now I have to go to an English peep's house for turkey and all the trimming's but I still dream of the cheddar sarny. Sorry I'm English so don't do thanks giving.

So what were the Cumberland dog's like ??? got them in K.P.Phet Makro never tried them as get mine from an English butcher in Pattaya, if there ok will give them a try.

Edited by fredob43

There's fatty and fatty just brought some and it was about 20% fat delish some time's it can be 80% fat I know how to cook it crispy but the last thing I want is to have 90% of it left in the griddle as molten grease, and a 14" rasher reduced to I" "= inch sorry I don't do metric.

Re J/C post the best meal I ever had at Christmas was a cheddar cheese sandwich with Branston pickle proper food, now I have to go to an English peep's house for turkey and all the trimming's but I still dream of the cheddar sarny. Sorry I'm English so don't do thanks giving.

So what were the Cumberland dog's like ??? got them in K.P.Phet Makro never tried them as get mine from an English butcher in Pattaya, if there ok will give them a try.

The ones I got from KPP were very good but they seemed to run out and not restock at Makro for some reason.

Bonitos Chinos has a roof top restaurant with good views over the city, 6 of us went tonight for a celebration, dishes start at 100bts as does beer and they do steaks as well, I had a whole fish for 250bts and jolly good it was as well so if you want a bite with a difference give it a try, a word of warning though do apply mosy cream just to be on the safe side.

Bonitos Chinos has a roof top restaurant with good views over the city, 6 of us went tonight for a celebration, dishes start at 100bts as does beer and they do steaks as well, I had a whole fish for 250bts and jolly good it was as well so if you want a bite with a difference give it a try, a word of warning though do apply mosy cream just to be on the safe side.

100bt For a beer I presume it was large even the hotel's wouldn't get away with that here well except for the Oasis Mike's Restaurant but that's for imported German stuff. His Thai beer is cheap though. He has a new range of meal's and his 12 different 'not Thai' sausage platter is going down a storm with the local's but as of yet I have never seen anyone finish it. H/M will be going tonight not been able to go any ware lately as my trip to BKK ended with H/M being slightly/well a lot under the weather. Now here's a thought It could have been getting stuck on the N/S by-pass. Note to self don't open the window of the Limo within 50km of same.

H/M.

K.P.PHET.

W/H.CITY.

The ones I got from KPP were very good but they seemed to run out and not restock at Makro for some reason.

They Makro had a big selection of sausages the other day I got yank bacon but didn't look at the dog's will be going tomorrow and give an update.

I think Dave will be out of action for the foreseeable future dined outside in N/S last night allegedly.

H/M.

Edited by fredob43

Don't worry, Dave won't get sick! i live in a village in NS Province where the local water is so toxic that it kills anything that you put in it. The crabs even crawl out of the pot and exit stage left when you try to cook them. The cobras even slither away when they see me When you have lived here as long as I have you become immune to just about everything. I even drink the tap water and hope that it is not rusting my hip implant. Look at you, you are obviously immune to the speed bumps on the NS bypass and immune to some of your other half's "teachings"..