Sick To Be Called "Farang"

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just get over it.

Farang simply means a foreigner, non asian.

There are specific names for the asian country people, eg Khon Khomen for a Cambodian.

There is nothing derogatory about farang, certainly no association with Trash of any colour.

IME the term Ajarn has to be earned.

The spotty youth teaching English is Khun Kru, at best. biggrin.png

It all depends on how its used. As others have pointed out, it is often used in place of him/her which is offensive, and when Thais are singled out in a similar way they become very offended.

If its used for the sole purpose of describing someone, then it may be more benign, but once the person is identified, to keep referring to them as such is offensive.

And it does not mean "foreigner" in any way shape or form, as Europeans who have Thai nationality (the few that there are, but they do exist) are certainly still referred to as "falang."

And it does not mean "foreigner" in any way shape or form, as Europeans who have Thai nationality (the few that there are, but they do exist) are certainly still referred to as "falang."

It means white foreigner and white people do not have Thai blood.

My experience of rural Thais is that they will use 'Farang' (definitely in a non-insulting way) to talk generically about Farangs and also if talking about you to another Thai. You may be standing next to them but you are referred to in a third-party context.

I agree, Thais I've known and can call friends for 10 years and more, in the village, refer to me as 'Farang' (pronounced Falang) when talking about or quoting me even when I'm in ear shot BUT when corresponding with me directly it's normally 'Mista Brxxx' or sometimes just 'Brxxx'.

Absolutely no problem for me!

It means white foreigner and white people do not have Thai blood.

Your logic here escapes me; the opposite of a foreigner would be national right? I take foreigner to mean someone who does not hold Thai citizenship.

Therefore if a person has Thai citizenship then they are not a foreigner, at least not in Thailand right? So how can a white person with Thai citizenship be a foreigner?

In England are those with non-English blood referred to as foreigners?

The Thai people I know or family of the current woman in my life refer to me by name.

I see Farang as a gerneric term. For example someone might talk to my g/f and say something along the lines of, 'I see you have a Farang boyfriend.' How is that derogatory? To me it means having a foreigner as a boyfriend. If we are out together some women might also refer to me as Farang but they do not know my name, so they use the word they find most suitable. After all they cannot say things like who is your boyfriend / husband or whatever because they may not know what our relationship is.

Farang can be meant badly in terms of speech depending on the context. In the same way I might see some white guy out with an asian woman and ask who is that asian bird you are with. That is not derogatory either.

I think you have serious problems here, OP. You appear more like Victor Meldrew than Meldrew himself. You need to learn to chill out. Go smoke some dope or whatever smile.png

so if you where in your own country would they say who is the asian.. no they would not

Well, if they are asian and you do not know what country they are from what do we say?

If I saw someone I know with a blonde bird on his arm I'd ask him, ' Who is that blonde bit of stuff I saw you with?'

There is no point is simply asking who the woman was because he might have been with more than one. He might have been with a friend from work or a cousin or any other amount of women in the last week for example. So we use an adjective or several in the sentence. That way he woulkd know to whom I am referring.

The Thai people I know or family of the current woman in my life refer to me by name.

I see Farang as a gerneric term. For example someone might talk to my g/f and say something along the lines of, 'I see you have a Farang boyfriend.' How is that derogatory? To me it means having a foreigner as a boyfriend. If we are out together some women might also refer to me as Farang but they do not know my name, so they use the word they find most suitable. After all they cannot say things like who is your boyfriend / husband or whatever because they may not know what our relationship is.

Farang can be meant badly in terms of speech depending on the context. In the same way I might see some white guy out with an asian woman and ask who is that asian bird you are with. That is not derogatory either.

I think you have serious problems here, OP. You appear more like Victor Meldrew than Meldrew himself. You need to learn to chill out. Go smoke some dope or whatever smile.png

I agree. If it's said as an insult then yes it is otherwise it seems OK to me. I sometimes hear young children use it particularly if it's an area where whites aren't often seen. I did hear it in Pakse, Lao from 2 0r 3 young kids who seemed quite excited. I was a bit surprised as there are so many westerners there.

When I used to go around villages many young children would turn to their mothers and shout, 'Farang!' and they would point and stare. Many of these children had rarely seen a white person before. In my mind that does not make them malicious or racists. I suppose if someone is sensitive they could take offence. On the other hand I thought it amusing and would wave to them.

In the 50's and 60's many English people rarely saw a coloured person outside the main cities so it was a novelty. Those people would stand and stare at this new, strange sight. We had all seen pictures of Africans, Aborigines, Pakistanis, Indians and others in books at school but to see one in real life was a rarity outside of that environment.

Also many called them for what we saw them as before these P.C. days came about because that was a generic term for their race.

If we really wanted to insult them we too knew how to do it in the same way a Thai can use terms that are meant to insult. I do not think we will change Thai attitudes with P.C. And I actually think it is refreshing that Thai people are as they are and not dictated to like we inthe U.K. are by those Liberal idiots.

• Like 1

if one is referred to as 'falang' in casual conversation amongst thais it's no reason to get excited...

A polite Thai always refers to a human being by using a suitable polite prefix. Kon, Khun, Nong, Pee, Lung etc.

When being rude a Thai will leave off the appropriate prefix.

Therefore 'farang' is an insult, as it never has the polite prefix.

does that bother you? i'd feel more bothered by a stinking fart (Farang or Thai) in a crowded lift then being a called "farang" a hundred times.

I dont mind being called a farang since i am a white European. I mean, the average Thai who has probably never set foot outside of Thailand could'nt possibly tell the difference between a Swede and a Dane for instance. Much the same as people in Europe who has never left their countrys refer to all Asians as Chinese.

I would have big problems with Swedes & Danes stepping out of UK!

Considering what some folks on this forum think,... we ARE white trash. Live with it or leave. I don't CARE what idiots think. Why should you? We will never be Thais so why should we worry about it.

I would prefer...'I will never want to be a thai'.

Sticks and stones will hurt my bones...

I dont mind being called a farang since i am a white European. I mean, the average Thai who has probably never set foot outside of Thailand could'nt possibly tell the difference between a Swede and a Dane for instance. Much the same as people in Europe who has never left their countrys refer to all Asians as Chinese.

I would have big problems with Swedes & Danes stepping out of UK!

What? I dont get your point, at all...

<p>You are sick of been called farang... Yea, I understand.

Please let us know what this guy should be sick of...http://uk.news.yahoo.com/men-guilty-stealing-student-riots-104950906.html

Edited by ravip

I've observed how Italians, greeks and anyone from south american who visits thailand are referred to as a KAK, which is a racist way to call someone of the muslim faith. Even myself have been called a KAK because I dont have blond hair, pale white skin and bright blue eyes but even as a caucasian they JUDGE my religion Based on my appearance which is very narrow minded and prejudiced, and most people from India are called Kaks as well as Sokapok which means DIRTY in thai, little do most know BUDDHISM comes from India! but MOST thai's are polite and usually only negative experiences stick out, I've even heard african american friends of mine in Thailand being called monkeys and dark ghosts and gorillas on a daily basis, if they KNEW what was being said about them there would certainly be blood shed so I just try to avoid conflicts for the most part but if someone really catches me on a bad day well.......

I've observed how Italians, greeks and anyone from south american who visits thailand are referred to as a KAK, which is a racist way to call someone of the muslim faith.

Incorrect

The word has nothing to do with Muslims

Edited by Moonrakers

I've observed how Italians, greeks and anyone from south american who visits thailand are referred to as a KAK, which is a racist way to call someone of the muslim faith. Even myself have been called a KAK because I dont have blond hair, pale white skin and bright blue eyes but even as a caucasian they JUDGE my religion Based on my appearance which is very narrow minded and prejudiced, and most people from India are called Kaks as well as Sokapok which means DIRTY in thai, little do most know BUDDHISM comes from India! but MOST thai's are polite and usually only negative experiences stick out, I've even heard african american friends of mine in Thailand being called monkeys and dark ghosts and gorillas on a daily basis, if they KNEW what was being said about them there would certainly be blood shed so I just try to avoid conflicts for the most part but if someone really catches me on a bad day well.......

I don't think that Kak or Kaek refers to Muslims, but rather foreigners from SE Asia. Also means guest/visitor

แขก

http://www.thai-language.com/id/133597

farang mean for me f... white trash!

and you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

Kiee Nok would be a closer translation to White Trash (Thinking about it, the contextual meaning is almost exactly the same)

but yeah, I don't mind if people who don't know me call me farang. It's fair enough, they don't know me and my ethnicity is a pretty distinguishing visual feature which will specifically get my attention (As opposed to just saying "Khun Khun!!" which might have half the neighbourhood thinking someone is talking to them). Even if they say said "Kon Yai" or "Kon Uuan" it wouldn't be as specific to me since there's more big guys in Thailand, than what there are farang, and calling me big/fat would be (to me at least) more offensive than farang (Although after living here for a big, I've got a reasonably thick skin to it lol).

With anyone who knows me, they usually call me Ajarn, or by my name

Kee nok means someone who is a tight ass or sits alone not white trash.

Being called farang is a compliment.

Farang means guava. Same Buk si dah means Mr guava in Issan. Its a joke at you not compliment. some think it sounds like foreign but it means guava. Edited by krisb

In England are those with non-English blood referred to as foreigners?

We are not in England. wink.png

The problem, UG, is that Kilgore's jumping on an erroneous notion that you innocently provided. In fact, farang doesn't really mean foreigner. "Kon thang chat" is a foreigner. Farang is a caucasian.

• Like 1