Jek Or Kak Or Negro Or Yew Or Farang Or Lets Stop Racism..

FrankensteinSpy

If your chinese and someone happens to call you "Jek" its a rude way of calling you chinese.

If your Islamic and someone happens to call you "Kak" its a rude way of calling you an Islamist.

If your African and someone calls you a Negro its a rude way of calling you an African.

If your from Israel and someone calls you a 'Yew" its a rude way to call you an Israeli.

If your from anywhere else and your called a Farang in Thailand its a rude way to call you a westerner.

The polite way to address others is by calling them PEOPLE="kon", or for an elder "P" and a young lad = Nong,

If someone first does not ask what country you come from and rudely jump to conclusions based on your nationality, it is a bit unpolite, but you should understand that many of the students in Thailand learn that from a poor education system and a single parent household.

Also I suggest you try learning more of the Thai language if you want to understand words that are TRULY offensive to the

races of others. I learned many more great things about Thai people than negative aspects of there culture by learning more of there language so please give it a try. Oh and before you criticise the Thai's in there own language be sure to speak it in a more polite way

than the pitiful women down on soi cowboy- because they dont make the best Thai language instructors or even the best F.........

These are only MY opinions and I'm open to hearing anyone else's as well because I always keep an open mind and if you want to criticize myself or the Thai people it should be done preferably in an unoffensive way..thanks!

-Frank

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have alway just found them descriptions and a way of pointing someone out, kind of like "hey look at that black guy over there" if the black guy is in a market full of Asians you will know straight away who they are talking about. Same goes for fat girl, Asian guy, ginger boy or farang.

It is how things are said that make them offensive in my opinion. For example if I say that fat girl in the red dress is really pretty, is it really offensive ot just descriptive? I have no problem with someone who doesnt know me in a shop full of Thai's saying "Go help out the farang", but if someone called me a f*7king farang it would be different. And whats wrong with calling a jew a jew?

Edited by TexasRanger
  • Like 1

I don't quite get it...

To call a jew a jew is offensive?

To call a black a black is offensive? (Negro is Latin for "black")

To call a Thai a Thai, is that offensive?

This kind of thinking blessed is with " Facility manager" for a janitor or a "Room beautician" for a cleaning lady etc. Why are you so scared to call things and people by their name?

OK, racism exists, even in amazing Thailand. But by changing names, that won't do any good. The attitude must change, not the names.

Long way to go...

I'm sorry to say that all of my Thai girlfriends in California have been very racist and openly disdainful of my black friends. They referred to them as "dumdum". These were girls from all over Thailand so I figured that it was prevalent in the culture. An unattractive trait.

I don't quite get it...

To call a jew a jew is offensive?

To call a black a black is offensive? (Negro is Latin for "black")

To call a Thai a Thai, is that offensive?

This kind of thinking blessed is with " Facility manager" for a janitor or a "Room beautician" for a cleaning lady etc. Why are you so scared to call things and people by their name?

OK, racism exists, even in amazing Thailand. But by changing names, that won't do any good. The attitude must change, not the names.

Long way to go...

Negro can be offensive of course depending on the country you are in at the time. Don't use it in the USA if you want to stay healthy.

Never once heard the word Negro here. It's "Chocolate" or "black" every time and I've not heard it in a derogatory way; purely as a descriptor. As someone say's above, say you want to your GF to look at the shoes a lady is wearing, and you want to point her to the right person. Which is easier? To describe exactly where in the crowd they are standing or to use a word which will exactly take them to seeing what you want them to see. no malice, no judgement, just a descriptor. Racism is rampant here in all communities (Jek Or Kak Or Negro Or Yew Or Farang and Thai) but this is not about words. It's about the thoughts and beliefs behind the words. Pop over to the joke section on here and see what you find; bitter vicious racism that aren't even a jokes, just vitriolic rants.

This is all just crazy, why do some folk get so wound up about this?

Since humas gained speech, they have been using slang terms for other groups, races, nationalities, some neutral - like an abbreviation of the real description, some cute, some derogatory. It is human nature, it happens.

In my 30+ years travelling around, I have been called (pardon the spellings, not all are spell checkable!) farang, ang moh, gueillo, gaijin, mat sellah, masselei, pom, pommie ..(with expletive), whitey, brit, and probably more I don't recall, or were out of earshot!!

And, frankly, I don't give a dam_n.

• Like 2

Everyone has a different opnion on this, I just asked my Thai gf what her thoughts were on this.

It's a Yahoo conversation ... no edits ... just how it went.

Me: HEY ... why do you (Thai people) call us Farang?

Me: is it a rude or bad name?

Me: Honest answer pls!

Miss M: I don't know too ...I know this word since I was born....

Miss M: If let me guess....I think

Miss M: seriouse not joke na ka

Me: Chai ... not joke serious question jing jing

Miss M: Farang is not bad name.

Miss M: Thai has fruit...this fruit is guava (English name)

Miss M: Guava name in Thai is Farang.

Miss M: inside guava will white color and some guava pink color....then

Miss M: when foreigner come to Thailand ...they look like guava ...so we call them is "Farang"

Miss M: This is why we call foreigner "Farang"

Miss M: understand mai ka?

Me: understand

Miss M: I just guess na ka

Miss M: no

Miss M: it good name

Me: sure?

Miss M: 100%

Me: why is it good name?

Miss M: we have more name for foreigner but it long word..."Chaaw Taang Chaat"

Miss M: it same meaning but difficult for older to say this....

Me: I understand

Me: If you wanted to a white person in Thailand a 'bad name' ... what name you use?

Miss M: don't know

Me: cheap charlie ?

Miss M: maybe have but I don't know

Miss M: Khee Neaww

Me: 555

Me: OK, thanks for your answer

Me: If you think of a name please tell me ... OK?

Miss M: think of a name?...for my name????

Me: no ... bad name for Farang

Pause of maybe 5 minutes ... maybe she ask many people in the office?

Miss M: maybe they will call farang man is " I rang" Strong and short sound "I"

Miss M: I' rang

Miss M: this is bad and not polite

Me: Thanks again

Miss M: example " black man...Nigeria man" we will call them " I dum"...Dum it mean Black color.

Miss M: this is bad name and rude.

Me: OIC

A lot of this stuff we get in heads is just plain wrong ... sometimes politicial correctness gone made.

Thais think nothing of this word and use sometimes in an endearing fashion.

As we have been told many time by or Thai partners ... Farang worry too much and think too much!

Conversation update 20 mins later ...

Miss M: no more gossip me?

Me: sorry ... I writing on Thai Visa about what you tell me

Me: Falang worry soooooooooooo much about make sure everything correct

Me: no Racism

Me: they think 'Farang' / Falang' is bad word

Me: I make our conversation easy for them to read and try and understand

Me: I will send you this link later little bit.

Miss M: You can tell them we have another name for foreigner is "Chaaw Taang Chaat" but most time we will call "Farang" because easy more than.

Me: I write this already ... thanks

Miss M: we never racism with Farang because almost Thai girl want to have white skin like farang..

... so please ... it's not Racism ... it's just a name!

David48 cowboy.gif

• Like 1

Many of these words can be racist if you perceive them as such, though how anyone would think the word Jew is racist beats me. Farang, of course, is simply their word for 'white man' or even 'foreigner'.

It's not the word which counts, it's the attitude.

Everyone has a different opnion on this, I just asked my Thai gf what her thoughts were on this.

It's a Yahoo conversation ... no edits ... just how it went.

Me: HEY ... why do you (Thai people) call us Farang?

Me: Honest answer pls!

Miss M: I don't know too ...I know this word since I was born....

Miss M: If let me guess....I think

Miss M: seriouse not joke na ka

Me: Chai ... not joke serious question jing jing

Miss M: Farang is not bad name.

Miss M: Thai has fruit...this fruit is guava (English name)

Miss M: Guava name in Thai is Farang.

Miss M: inside guava will white color and some guava pink color....then

Miss M: when foreigner come to Thailand ...they look like guava ...so we call them is "Farang"

Miss M: This is why we call foreigner "Farang"

Miss M: understand mai ka?

Me: understand

Miss M: I just guess na ka

Miss M: no

Miss M: it good name

Me: sure?

Miss M: 100%

Me: why is it good name?

Miss M: we have more name for foreigner but it long word..."Chaaw Taang Chaat"

Miss M: it same meaning but difficult for older to say this....

Me: I understand

Me: If you wanted to a white person in Thailand a 'bad name' ... what name you use?

Miss M: don't know

Me: cheap charlie ?

Miss M: maybe have but I don't know

Miss M: Khee Neaww

Me: 555

Me: OK, thanks for your answer

Me: If you think of a name please tell me ... OK?

Miss M: think of a name?...for my name????

Me: no ... bad name for Farang

Pause of maybe 5 minutes ... maybe she ask many people in the office?

Miss M: maybe they will call farang man is " I rang" Strong and short sound "I"

Miss M: I' rang

Miss M: this is bad and not polite

Me: Thanks again

Miss M: example " black man...Nigeria man" we will call them " I dum"...Dum it mean Black color.

Miss M: this is bad name and rude.

Me: OIC

A lot of this stuff we get in heads is just plain wrong ... sometimes politicial correctness gone made.

Thais think nothing of this word and use sometimes in an endearing fashion.

As we have been told many time by or Thai partners ... Farang worry too much and think too much!

Conversation update 20 mins later ...

Miss M: no more gossip me?

Me: sorry ... I writing on Thai Visa about what you tell me

Me: Falang worry soooooooooooo much about make sure everything correct

Me: no Racism

Me: they think 'Farang' / Falang' is bad word

Me: I make our conversation easy for them to read and try and understand

Me: I will send you this link later little bit.

Miss M: You can tell them we have another name for foreigner is "Chaaw Taang Chaat" but most time we will call "Farang" because easy more than.

Me: I write this already ... thanks

Miss M: we never racism with Farang because almost Thai girl want to have white skin like farang..

... so please ... it's not Racism ... it's just a name!

David48 cowboy.gif

You know the I- or sometimes it sounds like ee- has nothing to do with being black ? From what I've been told it's means you think someone is beneath you, a peasant is maybe one way to translate it into English. Thais call other Thais it. I've heard someone with money or thinks they have money call the doorman who didn't open the door quick enough for them it. Most likely Cambodian.

I/ee- Hear is also used as it's stronger than Hear. Thai on Thai.

Something that sounds like Ian means something bad, maybe it comes from that.

Edited by arthurwait

As much as I dislike the use of the word Farang I believe its use in Thailand is primarily that as an 'Identifier' rather than a racist term.

IMO - its use is simply innocently lazy.

It's much easier to point out that white guy over there, which amongst Thai's is pointing out that Farang. It's certainly much easier than pointing out that tall gentleman in the white t-shirt who might be from England.

That said: The tone and context in which these words are used can be offensive. In these terms I think their use could be termed racist, but only by those looking to play the racist card.

In a crowd I might point out ‘That black guy over there’… In todays politically correct world of Chalk-boards instead of black-boards this is now considered racially unharmonious. Now I’m unsure if it’s acceptable to call a black guy black, or coloured or African, or Afro-Caribbean… I’ve stopped caring, the emphasis should be on intention.

If someone doesn't like me they can call me a Farang, or Farang idiot, or blonde haired idiot, I don't care - The intention is still to portray negativity and offense. It works, I can get offended and / or I can chose to ignore that ignorant person.

In short, I won't get offended at the words, but I may get offended at the intention to show negativity towards me if it is present. I may occasionally correct someone, I may simply ignore it. That depends on my mood at the time.

I pulled up a friend when he told me there is Farang food when being invited over to his house for a BBQ. He asked me how is that offensive, it was simply a request his mother had made... i.e. would I prefer some farang food? - Where is the negativity and racism there?

IMO: When its present, racism is obvious. In all other situations we are perhaps making something out of laziness and / or innocent ignorance.

Question: Would it be acceptable to the OP if Thai’s placed the word Khun in front… as in Khun Farang ?

In every country I have been to the natives consider themselves superior beings to any visitors.

I have no problem with that.

It can only be a problem if there is some truth in it.

I wonder why 'racist' is such a derogatory term in western countries.

Read from page 17 first in a booklet banned from sale in Britain.

...google...internet archive free download the longest hatred ...

look for the link that mentions Jane Birdwell.

In every country I have been to the natives consider themselves superior beings to any visitors.

I have no problem with that.

It can only be a problem if there is some truth in it.

I wonder why 'racist' is such a derogatory term in western countries.

Read from page 17 first in a booklet banned from sale in Britain.

...google...internet archive free download the longest hatred ...

look for the link that mentions Jane Birdwell.

You mean the Jane Birdwell who wrote an anti-semitic rant that when distributed by Kevin Quinn, a member of Combat 18, caused him to be convicted of distributing racist material in the British Courts?

while i think it is pathetic enough that you converse with your woman in such a bastardized form of the english language, it is yet more tragic that you did not take the chance while typing to correct yourself.

thanks for sharing a scintillating conversation.

Humm ... how to respond?

My gf doesn’t need defending.

Her English is fine ... language is a form of communication, and you seemed to understand what she wrote, so that doesn’t need defending.

Having a Thai opinion on what the Thais think about us in terms of the use of language doesn’t need defending. Indeed, isn't that the point of the article?

Maybe you would like to share the last conversation that you had with a Thai person?

Oh ... one that wasn't conducted in a bar?

Better still ... reply in Thai and regale us with your superior whit and intellect, because I am sure that you must be fluent and faultless in at least two languages to have the balls to criticise like this in a public forum.

When you are in Thailand you must be a very lonely man apart from the company you pay to keep.

This is my only comment to you here, so I eagerly await your reply.

while i think it is pathetic enough that you converse with your woman in such a bastardized form of the english language, it is yet more tragic that you did not take the chance while typing to correct yourself.

thanks for sharing a scintillating conversation.

Humm ... how to respond?

My gf doesn’t need defending.

Her English is fine ... language is a form of communication, and you seemed to understand what she wrote, so that doesn’t need defending.

Having a Thai opinion on what the Thais think about us in terms of the use of language doesn’t need defending. Indeed, isn't that the point of the article?

Maybe you would like to share the last conversation that you had with a Thai person?

Oh ... one that wasn't conducted in a bar?

Better still ... reply in Thai and regale us with your superior whit and intellect, because I am sure that you must be fluent and faultless in at least two languages to have the balls to criticise like this in a public forum.

When you are in Thailand you must be a very lonely man apart from the company you pay to keep.

This is my only comment to you here, so I eagerly await your reply.

cheesy.gifpassifier.gifcrazy.gif