Permanent Residency

Does anyone have any news or idea's on when applications for permanent residency for this year - 2005 are likely to open. I called immigration in Bkk and got what can only be described as a non-committed reply of "call next week". Considering the effort we need to put into this well before applications are opened, it is a bit disheartening.

Applications for 2005 will close on the 29th of this month, the only problem is applications are not yet being accepted and nobody knows or is saying when it will open. But why worry, we still have 6 days of the month - unfortunately nobody knows how many days for P/R applications.

I would be really interested in the thinking behind this, it's not as if Thailand is opening the doors to farangs to sponge on a welfare or health systems etc. With or without P/R we are still self-funding and adding to the economy of Thailand.

All we are asking (well most of us) is a fair go and the peace of mind to know if we meet the criteria as set out in the Immigration act we can submit our applications in a stress-free and orderly manner. Whether we are accepted or not is not the question - it's about being reasonable.

I would be very interested in knowing (constructive comments welcomed) - what is the rational behind keeping the opening date a secret date and causing un-necessary stress on those who want to get on with their lives in Thailand.

Don't know what happen but to my knowledge, 2004 permanent resident application has not been announced yet (know the fact that my friend is very anxious waiting for his PR application). does anyone know what is the status on their PR residency status for 2004 yet. My friend keeps on checking to immigration suan plu but officer there said wait for the acceptance letter. Until today, no letter has arrived yet.

Zaidan, tell your friend to check the list at:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/quota47_en.doc

There are 169 names on this list, the second round of approvals. In November 2005, the first round of approvals, a list of 205 names, was posted.

If he was not rejected by June or July 2005 he should be getting PR. It's possible there may be a third round of approvals.

The 374 people approved for PR breaks out by nation as follows:

China 100

India 63

Britian 33

Japan 28

Swiss 19

German 17

Singapore 13

USA 12

France 10

Australia 9

Canada 8

Holland 7

Pakistan 7

Other (6 or less) 48

Thanks for the input from everyone. To cut a long story short, I was able to get my application vetted - and rejected iimmediately because I was a few baht short of 30,000 per month over a 2 year period.

An absolute pain in the rear and I feel very unfair as I more than qualify in all other areas.

But then we are dealing with a bureaucracy who are happy to allow all sorts of illegal visa practices to flourish with impunity and penalise those who have always done the right thing - as I have done even down to 90 day reporting.

But this is Thailand and guess I will have to live with it. Mai pen rai.

Thanks for the input from everyone. To cut a long story short, I was able to get my application vetted - and rejected iimmediately because I was a few baht short of 30,000 per month over a 2 year period.

An absolute pain in the rear and I feel very unfair as I more than qualify in all other areas.

But then we are dealing with a bureaucracy who are happy to allow all sorts of illegal visa practices to flourish with impunity and penalise those who have always done the right thing - as I have done even down to 90 day reporting.

But this is Thailand and guess I will have to live with it. Mai pen rai.

artisi: if I understand this correct, if you earned a few baht less than 30'000 baht a month, then you were doomed to fail anyway. the absolute minimum some years ago was 50'000 baht a month. if you want to be on the safer side now, its 80'000 baht upwards.

that's just how it is.

artisi: if I understand this correct, if you earned a few baht less than 30'000 baht a month, then you were doomed to fail anyway. the absolute minimum some years ago was 50'000 baht a month. if you want to be on the safer side now, its 80'000 baht upwards.

that's just how it is.

The catergory I applied under is 30,000- section 3.3.1 of the act.

Edited by Artisi

The catergory I applied under is 30,000- section 3.3.1 of the act.

artisi, I am really sorry for that letdown at room 301, even more so that they have a category of 30'000 baht.

if you sit down with the officers though they will soon tell you what the minimum salaries are they expect.

a main reason, why hardly any country gets the full quota of 100 a year.

tons of indians are applying - and as you see in last year's round only around 60 will get the blue booklet.

if I were you I would pay excessive taxes for the last year before the application. just look at it as an investement.

but without raising your paid tax above 50'000 it will be hard to obtain residency.

the tax paid in this very year is a figure that will be written and marked on the front of your mountain of documents.

I did it that way, and it worked.

I hope you will find a way, even more so as you are really playing and living here by the rules.

Yes, money is an important criteria and Immigration will let you know whether you pass the cut-off point if you ask them, prior to going through the hassle of collecting all the required documentation.

Others thinking of applying should note that Immigration's list of requirements was incomplete (for applying in 2004). For example, you needed a blood test to prove you don't have syphilis, and Foreign Ministry/Revenue Department notarization was required for some of the documents but this was not stated in the requirements handed out by Immigration.

Also note that much of the required documentation can be submitted after the initial application, which this year closes 30 December 2005.

By the way, the Chinese quota of approved 2004 PR applicants included 77 from Taiwan and 23 from PRC.

Cheers,

Spinning Dwarf

Has any member actaully GOT PR?

I was at the CM Immigration office yesterday and unless my eyesight is failing badly the tarrif board stated that a PR application was 191,500 baht!

An awful lot of money to loose if your application is NOT sucessful, and you would have to live a LIFETIME and more to get back the 1,900 Baht a year you have to spend on renewing your anual visa.

I suppose its the benefit of Business and land Ownereship that makes it worthwhile. But at that price its a very big risk! :o

Personally I will never do it, I'm too old anyway and don't have a business or any aspirations to start one. :D

If I am mistaken on the costs involved for the PR, please feel free to inform me

there are quite some members in here that got PR - I got it, dont want to mention the names of others.

you only have to pay for PR if you get it - for family reasons its half of the price you mention, thats the biz price of nearly 200'000

you dont get any land ownership rights with PR, but you get an eternal visa, some peace of mind that they cant cancel your stay here, your name is registered in the tabien baan, you could get mortages more easily here, if you buy a condominium there is no need to prove the money is sent from abroad, and and.

thats it. why spend money for this?

why not.

and yes, there are some law firms that virtually guarantee one's approval. but they cost. big time.

and its not nice to cheat.

I was a few baht short of 30,000 per month over a 2 year period.

I thought the salary required was 80,000 per month? That's the info I got last year when I inquired about PR. You also need to have a Non B visa for 3 consecutive years.

30,000 baht is even less than the required monthly salary for Europeans and Americans. Can anyone confirm that 30,000 baht is enough?

• 2 weeks later...

For the Record............ you dont need to import money to buy a condo here. Its a myth, that even some of the burocracy believes. If you can demonstrate that you have legally earned the money in Thailand, and also paid the taxes due, you can buy it from your cash here.

Warning though, you will be up against all kinds of nit wits local and foreign who will tell u other wise.

For the record, I am a happy owner of a condo in Thonglor for a year now ( from local earnings ) .... the proof is in the pudding.

Going for my PR now as well........

Question:-

Can any one direct me to some info as to what rights are bestowed on a PR "awardee".

Of course, not having to go for a visa is great, there does not seem to be much more. Some of the things I have seen are:

- You can buy a condo with out importing cash ( well, you can do that anyway, see my other post)

- You can be a Director of a company ( well you can be one anyway, dont need a PR for that ).

- Can have house register (tabien baan ) ( got that now ).

I have scanned the net, and could not find much more than that.

Edited by skippybangkok

Zaidan, tell your friend to check the list at:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/quota47_en.doc

There are 169 names on this list, the second round of approvals. In November 2005, the first round of approvals, a list of 205 names, was posted.

If he was not rejected by June or July 2005 he should be getting PR. It's possible there may be a third round of approvals.

The 374 people approved for PR breaks out by nation as follows:

China 100

India 63

Britian 33

Japan 28

Swiss 19

German 17

Singapore 13

USA 12

France  10

Australia 9

Canada 8

Holland 7

Pakistan 7

Other (6 or less) 48

I see the list has a non-quota section containing 11 names. Anyone know what that's about?