Thailand's Sex Workers Don't Want To Be 'Rescued'

webfact

Its not like they really have any viable alternatives. As long as you have wealth inequality, you will have the sex trade, which is why it thrives in all corners of the world (just like wealth inequality). As long as they can cut down on trafficking, slavery, and child prostitutes, then at least it is a step in the right direction. No woman wants to work in the sex trade, but given the alternative, many do not have much of a choice. I just hope all of you who purchase their services remember this, and try and treat them like humans. They have had a very difficult life and if they do not harbor at least some sort of resentment for their clients, it means they are already truly dead inside.

Don't a lot of poor young women find employment as maids rather than go on the game? Of course the money's no comparison.

Edited by Xangsamhua

Remember reading an article in the Bangkok Post in the 80s about how the mass market sex industry would virtually disappear once their were ample opportunities for unskilled Thai women in the factories and other businesses the Japanese and other foreign investors were going to establish, as happened in Taiwan. Well the foreign investors came and went but the sex industry continues to flourish.

Its not like they really have any viable alternatives. As long as you have wealth inequality, you will have the sex trade, which is why it thrives in all corners of the world (just like wealth inequality). As long as they can cut down on trafficking, slavery, and child prostitutes, then at least it is a step in the right direction. No woman wants to work in the sex trade, but given the alternative, many do not have much of a choice. I just hope all of you who purchase their services remember this, and try and treat them like humans. They have had a very difficult life and if they do not harbor at least some sort of resentment for their clients, it means they are already truly dead inside.

Don't a lot of poor young women find employment as maids rather than go on the game? Of course the money's no comparison.

Thai women are no longer interested in working for Chinese families as maids. That work is left to the Burmese, Khmers and Lao. My maid is virtually the only Thai maid left in our soi.

Remember reading an article in the Bangkok Post in the 80s about how the mass market sex industry would virtually disappear once their were ample opportunities for unskilled Thai women in the factories and other businesses the Japanese and other foreign investors were going to establish, as happened in Taiwan. Well the foreign investors came and went but the sex industry continues to flourish.

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/apcity/unpan005384.pdf

Seems that largely, increases in minimum wages havent' ever really kept up with inflation since they were implemented. So someone made a profit, but it wasn't people on minumum that is for sure.

It's funny that women say they have the same wants as men do but when it comes to Prostitution it is then all mens fault and women wouldn't do if men didn't pay for it.

Why can't they just tell the truth...women do it because they love to do the funky monkey and some more than others. I've have plenty of them give rules before anything gets

started. Women I have known do it because they love sex and say they might as well get paid for it too.

"Rather than greedy pimps, their support network is centred on a trusted tuk-tuk driver or the local motorcycle-taxi guy who takes them around and protects them."

LOL

The truth.... is pimps only come into play when they make things like this against the law. The reason being most pimps are criminals in general and women need them more for

the emotional support than anything else because criminal minded people don't give a sh#$ about anything which makes them appear to be fearless and stronge. Not to mention

they help look over the girls shoulder so she doesn't get picked up by a cop. This whole idea that sex is wrong and we should make it against the law is exactly what makes the law stronger.

No laws against sex...no pimps...reduced rape victums....more freedom for everyone to do what animals do.......DID HE JUST SAY ANIMALS?....How many of you really think we are not animals...oh let me guess the same ones that think sex should be with only one person....?

Thai women are no longer interested in working for Chinese families as maids. That work is left to the Burmese, Khmers and Lao. My maid is virtually the only Thai maid left in our soi.

Working for the Chinese as a maid would be worse then having a pimp.

You call that a crisis? My father-in-law invited me down to the local knocking shop a week after the wedding, in front of the missus (not amused!!) I tactfully declined.

That would be serious cause to re-evaluate your future plans.

Like most people, i am fed up with hearing about these poor little innocent girls being trafficked for sex. What absolute rubbish.

Virtually every girl in the prostitution business in Thailand is doing it for the easy money.Who wants to work for 100 baht a day in the rice paddys and chilli fields when you can give an old German pensioner oral sex for 20 minutes for 500 baht.

If youre lucky maybe marriage is on the cards. Take farangs money and assets and dump him. Happens every day here.

There is a Briton on this forum today wanting to remit 10 million baht here for a house....unbelievable.

In my 12 years in LOS, I have seen countless 'rip-off relationships' and 'manufactured marriages'....for dosh, house and (Thai) family profit.

BUT I am lucky to be in the 13th year of a challenging (cultural differences) marriage with two lovely young kids and a strong-willed Akha Ulo Thai wife.

Yes, it can be hard work, but what marriage isn't?

I know for sure that my wife May, was being strongly pressured to go on the game by her village family when I first met her in 2000 and, with the abundant comments here about the available $$, who can blame the almost inevitable career choice many of these girls/guys make..

Try before you buy is a cynical but well-placed maxim.

How many sex workers in Thailand pay taxes on their income, which in many cases is much higher than their highly educated "straight job" counterparts...Answer: ZILCH, nada, none, zero.

i think none would have sufficed...

Edited by scotsdude

I remember a more recent article that said that Thailand is the only country in the world where as incomes go up, sex work increases, rather than decreases.

Apart from money,which they could not hope to earn in any other work,they are mostly good natured and fun loving women,

especially at one Bar in Pattya I visited,which had a large notice board on show, with about fifty Photos of customers pinned, the Old,Young,Fat and Greasy, Ugly and sweaty, of various nationalities,under the heading of:....."Pig of the week"

It's a way of life,most don't give it up until they lose their looks,become too old,or are forced to,in some way. Not having met Prince Charming to whisk them away to the intended, Dream, life of luxury.

Edited by MAJIC

Sex work in Taiwan is still plenty common, it flourishes and definitely didn't virtually disappear. As it is in Korea and Japan, as common as here just a bit more expensive and many places don't allow foreigners to take part (this is the only thing that is different about Thailand, allowing foreigners). Where I'm from in the US most Asian massage parlour work is actually done by Koreans who are past their expiration date back home. It's not going to go away in Thailand either, it will just get pricier, especially for those wanting a 'girlfriend experience'

• Like 1

How many sex workers in Thailand pay taxes on their income, which in many cases is much higher than their highly educated "straight job" counterparts...Answer: ZILCH, nada, none, zero.

If you feel that strongly about the tax issue just deduct it at source and post it to the Government otherwise mind your own business.

• Like 1

I expect tourists can claim a 7% VAT refund on departure, too!

If you feel that strongly about the tax issue just deduct it at source and post it to the Government otherwise mind your own business.

• Like 1

http://unpan1.un.org...unpan005384.pdf

Seems that largely, increases in minimum wages havent' ever really kept up with inflation since they were implemented. So someone made a profit, but it wasn't people on minumum that is for sure.

Bar fines seem to have followed the trend quite well.................

http://unpan1.un.org...unpan005384.pdf

Bar fines seem to have followed the trend quite well.................

No doubt they have I am sure.

No doubt some will always enter this industry. However, if you asked how much salary per month they would "quit" for, I wonder how high it would be.

50k, 80k, 100k?????

Thus, they aren't doing for "pleasure" of the job, but the money, but then how many people work for the pleasure of the job????

Not me I just work for the money licklips.gif We are talking about the 'social security' system of SEA here and also a country that cannot even enforce people wearing helmets on the roads. Nothing is going to change too fast.

I hope this post isn't against some rules.

I live, as mentioned before, in a mostly-Thai area - a close-center suburb of BKK - where there are a lot of young girls working in different establishment (aimed primarily at asian clientele).

One neighbor-girl, that hasn't yet started to work in any of the places, freelances at times. Not in the sense you might think, not going to any streets or hanging out at Spazzo, but by meeting tourists sometimes when out with friends and if she like anyone she accepts them calling her and perhaps accompany them during a part of their vacation.

She just spent a few evenings with a Korean gentleman, here for business and golf. She pocketed 15k per day.

She saves most of the money and are building up a store with a friend now.

Now tell me, what are the chances she will think that she needs rescuing?

Legalize it.

• Like 2