UK pensions

Interesting that there was no mention in the Autumn statement about the mooted plan to deprive UK pensioners who reside overseas of the standard tax allowance, which I believe is now 10,500 pounds per annum - which, in my case, would mean the loss of around a fifth of pensions income.

Is this, I wonder, because the government has yet to assess the findings of the Consultation on this controversial proposal? And will we have to wait until the next Budget to learn our fate. With government finances in such a shambles and Osborne starting to sell off the family silver, the portents do not look encouraging.

Anybody heard any whispers on the grapevine?

550,000 people saving on the health care, Hospitals, Drs, medication, care homes + Full pensions + all the other Benefits if in UK you get on top of the state pension..

Rather think we save the UK Government a lot by Not living in the UK...

wonder what would happen if we all got together and 550,000 people returned to the UK to claim all the Housing, health Care and other Benefits ??

• Like 1

ONly Chile and Mexico in the western world have been shown to be more stibgy than the UK where pensions are concerned according to Moneymail today, I dont think its required reading for the DWP staff sadly but they not wrong are they?

So it looks like the new flat rate state pension will have a starting point of £155.60.

As said before, not all will get that much and some will get more.

Clear as mud. Simple and fair. rolleyes.gif

You think that's fair?? Example, someone born in say 1946, starts work in 1962, retires on a state pension in 2011.

That person is not going to get 155.50 GBP per week, in April 2016, even if he has paid all his NI contributions.

Unless of course I have missed something.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

So it looks like the new flat rate state pension will have a starting point of £155.60.

You think that's fair?? Example, someone born in say 1946, starts work in 1962, retires on a state pension in 2011.

That person is not going to get 155.50 GBP per week, in April 2016, even if he has paid all his NI contributions.

Agree. For a lot of people it is not fair.

A lot will be losing out.

All a bit of a shambles.

Edited by Red Parrot Fish
  • Like 1

It is still a scandal that pensioners in Asia are treated different to those living in EU. #saynotoeu

Not true, as far as pensions are concerned, UK pensioners in Philippines get exactly the same benefits/increases as pensioners in the UK as do UK pensioners living in the US.

It's about having a reciprocal social benefits arrangement between the UK & the country in question, nothing to do with Europe save the fact that this kind of agreement is part of the core EU agreement covering membership.

Edited by JB300

You have missed something. The person that retired in 2011 will have the basic pension increased to £119.30 a week plus any additional pension or private pension from their NI contributions.

Anyone who retired in 2011 and worked all their life is unlikely to be receiving less than £155.50 from their NI contributions unless they were on a very low income. Many tend to ignore the benefits from their contracted out NI contributions.

It is the ones coming on to the new system that are more likely to dip out than those already retired.

• Like 1

You have missed something. The person that retired in 2011 will have the basic pension increased to £119.30 a week plus any additional pension or private pension from their NI contributions.

Anyone who retired in 2011 and worked all their life is unlikely to be receiving less than £155.50 from their NI contributions unless they were on a very low income. Many tend to ignore the benefits from their contracted out NI contributions.

It is the ones coming on to the new system that are more likely to dip out than those already retired.

This is all too complicated, i'll just wait till the time comes.

• Like 2

This is all too complicated, i'll just wait till the time comes.

Bit of an understatement. With the variation in income, qualifying years and contracted out years, the possible combinations of any particular state pension arrangement must be close to that of the national lottery.

Just to clarify:

Providing you still have a fixed abode in the UK and pay Council Tax (its important), then you do not need to declare any absence. Do you think Simon Cowell or Sean Connery declare their long term absences from the UK. If you do declare then yes you can expect your benefits to be cut, but as long as you pay your Council Tax, then they will simply assume your still in the UK. Its not like they go knocking on door checking.

Just to clarify:

Providing you still have a fixed abode in the UK and pay Council Tax (its important), then you do not need to declare any absence. Do you think Simon Cowell or Sean Connery declare their long term absences from the UK. If you do declare then yes you can expect your benefits to be cut, but as long as you pay your Council Tax, then they will simply assume your still in the UK. Its not like they go knocking on door checking.

the fixed abode can be anything,paid for or not,I like a paid one in Benidorm,lose the summer cooling allowance though,but DWP hate writing there

PS paying council tax is not important

Edited by loppylugs1