UK pensions

Retired members of the Armed Forces (depending on rank)  can also witness the Proof of Life Certificates. I am retired R.N. officer and sign many having confirmed with the pension people that I am acceptable, I even had a rubber stamp made with my service details and current address on it (B200) and have been doing these certificates for a number of years now as well as Passport Applications. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, billd766 said:

If you have paid more that the current 36? years contribution you don't get a repayment of the extra years nor do you get a larger pension. I paid in for 44 years as did many other posters here.

Plus it seems that if you are overseas working  (classed as a non uk resident ) you might have to pay more.

I paid 41 years consecutive tax and NI but am still 6 years short to achieve my full State Pension.

48 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Plus it seems that if you are overseas working  (classed as a non uk resident ) you might have to pay more.

I paid 41 years consecutive tax and NI but am still 6 years short to achieve my full State Pension.

Nothing to do with being overseas, but to do with the date that pension rules changed: April 2016.

For people due to receive their pension after April 2016:  all contributions before that date give you the old basic pension of around £127 pw, as long as there's 30 years or more of contributions.  More than 30 years contributions before that date do not increase it.

So if not past retirement age you need to make contributions after April 2016 to build up to the new maximum of around £145 or whatever it is now, even if this adds a up to far more than 35 or 40 years in total.

Nothing to do with being overseas, but to do with the date that pension rules changed: April 2016.

For people due to receive their pension after April 2016:  all contributions before that date give you the old basic pension of around £127 pw, as long as there's 30 years or more of contributions.  More than 30 years contributions before that date do not increase it.

So if not past retirement age you need to make contributions after April 2016 to build up to the new maximum of around £145 or whatever it is now, even if this adds a up to far more than 35 or 40 years in total.

Okay, thanks for that.

Yes I’ve got a few years to go to SP age .

Here’s a forecast I did in April and as I’d paid 41 years NI I thought it was because I had a few years non resident .

IMG_5415.PNG

I’m visiting the uk in November so will give them a call re : paying another 6 years.

CPI Is the Consumer Prices Index, look it up and see what they include. some of things look likes a Thai at the controls! RPI, Retail Prices index gives another slightly higher figure again have a look at what included, both are a stitch up and don't reflect the cost of inflation we see and have to live with. Just the same here the "official Thai inflation rate" is not something I can see or hear, al I get is what was 120bts is now 150bts eh? "prices up" and that is that, everything is settled and I say "ok", yeah right, the farang can afford to pay, well go somewhere else or don't go as often.

As far as I'm aware the recognised list of people who can sign a life certificate is the same as the list of British people that can sign a driving licence and passport application, plus the equivalent Thai people with the same/similar qualifications. I've signed several forms in the UK over the years and, since retiring in Thailand, have signed two passport applications for friends over here. I did query the official/rubber stamp requirement with the Passport Office because, being retired, I don't have one and was told: "no problem, just state your profession and add retired in brackets". 

That’s good to know, I’ve signed many passport applications (was an IT Director for a UK bank, I’m now a VP at an American Bank)

Happy to help if I’m local to you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
14 hours ago, nong38 said:

Hello Mike, what area would that be exactly, we can contact you personal if required.

Currently splitting my time between Singapore (for work) & Bangkok, but plan on moving somewhere else in Thailand (I'm still in scouting mode) when I finally retire (was supposed to be 7th September but I don't want to let me team down as we've just taken on a big project so maybe 31st March 2019(.

That does not appear to be correct, at least in my case.

I will reach retirement age in 4 years (if I get that far). I have been paying my stamp all my adult life (far more than 30 years) and about 5 years ago I was told that I had paid enough and did not need to pay any more as I was not working. So I stopped. I have made no contributions at all since well before April 2016.

My forecast has always been for the full maximum new pension amount (now £164.35).

I believe the maximum number of years increased from 30-35 a few years back, but they’ll happily let you pay in for more than the 35

Very easy to check #years NI & projected pension entitlement online, if nobody beats me to it will post the link when I get home from work

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I believe the maximum number of years increased from 30-35 a few years back, but they’ll happily let you pay in for more than the 35

Very easy to check #years NI & projected pension entitlement online, if nobody beats me to it will post the link when I get home from work

Am sure this link has been posted many times on this thread, but for anybody who's not aware it's very easy to check your NI Contributions here: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

I do find incredible that required number of years is now 35. They keep messing about with the numbers and I don't understand why they do this, I reckon I made 44 years of contributions, its now down to 35 and yet they keep asking people now to wait past the 65 years that was my exit. It seems clear to all that this is one of the big elephants in the room after the NHS and how to fund it, so why reduce the number of years required to get the full hit? They should have left it as it was NI up to 60 or maybe move it to 65 the problem is not going away, after all from my tax I am still paying 12% towards the pensions.

Edited by nong38
missing word which changes the meaning
  • Like 1
On 8/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, strikingsunset said:

just reading these posts- yes so much optimism that the UK state pension will continue as now- mine is due to start in May 2021 and i have severe doubts that it will actually happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Even in the worst of times, Greece didn't completely stop its pension. The Pension account is in surplus at present and is projected to be so until 2030.  

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I can well imagine that there are plenty of jealous sods who will do just that.

You bet there is, it has happened to two of my friends, one taken off the plane when he landed

in London, but it wasn't state pensions, it was some sort of benefits they were on.

16 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Much as i would love it to happen ,i think pigs will fly first . shame .

I think you're right, the fact that newspapers always roll out their stock photos of retirees strolling along a sandy beach doesn't help our cause.
I do wish the honourable member for Brighton Pavillion well in her quest, but unless she gets more high profile support I fear it will fall at the first hurdle.
Let's wait and see if they call for comments from the Great British Public.

I think you're right, the fact that newspapers always roll out their stock photos of retirees strolling along a sandy beach doesn't help our cause.

I do wish the honourable member for Brighton Pavillion well in her quest, but unless she gets more high profile support I fear it will fall at the first hurdle.

Let's wait and see if they call for comments from the Great British Public.

Funny you always see that photo or one of two fit healthy pensioners hiking in the hills.i also believe we will never get a pension rise,google it and every year there is "a glimmer of hope" i think the only way anyone will get a rise is if you keep a home address,never read any account of a pensioner being caught doing it,on the internet, have you? A few claiming housing benefit etc and social.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She has not been seen with Sir Gale MP when he has brought the issue of clause 20 of the Pension Bill to the house before and I doubt she will remember next time it has to be ratified again.

Yes the old library photos must make some UK pensioners wonder how they can afford that on a State pension. there is more to it of course but you only see what you want to see, hear and read and it suits the UK govt to keep it that way and save the "annual increases" to use for other HMG areas, although I think they also think that if we were to be paid our increases the money would come from their pension pot in the State and they "might" get less and that would never do!!

Keep the pressure up and we await our "hero" tp arrive and take on the HMG in full view so everyone can see what has been going on for many years. we need a "Windrush" moment.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Much as i would love it to happen ,i think pigs will fly first . shame .

I also think that pigs will fly before Caroline Lucas is ever appointed to a ministerial position in the DWP. But, in the improbable event of this happening (most likely in a Corbyn-led coalition government, I would have thought), I suspect that she will have a complete change of heart on this whole issue after having had her ears bent by DWP's Sir Humphrey of the time - just like other politicians who have expressed similar views to hers on this issue while in opposition have done after they had been appointed to a DWP ministerial post.

Personally, I think that we can whistle in the wind about any prospect of our State Pensions being unfrozen. On the contrary, I suspect that it is more likely that things will go the other way - with "triple-lock" indexing for those who are entitled to the annual increases being eroded and eventually abolished altogether. At least that would finally achieve some level playing-field across the board, even if this is not in a manner which most of us State Pensioners living in LOS would necessarily like.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I also think that pigs will fly before Caroline Lucas is ever appointed to a ministerial position in the DWP. But, in the improbable event of this happening (most likely in a Corbyn-led coalition government, I would have thought), I suspect that she will have a complete change of heart on this whole issue after having had her ears bent by DWP's Sir Humphrey of the time - just like other politicians who have expressed similar views to hers on this issue while in opposition have done after they had been appointed to a DWP ministerial post.

Personally, I think that we can whistle in the wind about any prospect of our State Pensions being unfrozen. On the contrary, I suspect that it is more likely that things will go the other way - with "triple-lock" indexing for those who are entitled to the annual increases being eroded and eventually abolished altogether. At least that would finally achieve some level playing-field across the board, even if this is not in a manner which most of us State Pensioners living in LOS would necessarily like.

Spot On....You only have to think back to the coalition and Pensions Minister Steve Webb. He brought up this injustice (his words) on no less than 4 occasions when in opposition (Lib Dem) but did nothing about it when in Government & Pensions Minister.. stating it has been that way for generations and he had no plans to change it!!

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1
On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 AM, KittenKong said:

That does not appear to be correct, at least in my case.

I will reach retirement age in 4 years (if I get that far). I have been paying my stamp all my adult life (far more than 30 years) and about 5 years ago I was told that I had paid enough and did not need to pay any more as I was not working. So I stopped. I have made no contributions at all since well before April 2016.

My forecast has always been for the full maximum new pension amount (now £164.35).

If that's the case then I'm wrong and really don't understand it,  though I thought that I did.

I was basing this on the publicity about people who tried to top up their pensions by back-paying for additional years up to 35 before 2016 who found that this made no difference to their pension amount and had to try to get it refunded.

This was in the papers a few months back, e.g.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-5470181/Savers-wasting-money-trying-boost-incomes.html

"The state pension top-up fiasco: Savers are paying to boost their incomes only to find payouts don't rise and they can't get a refund

•Savers pay up to £2,000 extra to boost weekly pension payouts

•They say they are being led to believe they have gaps in their NI records

•But many find the payment makes no difference to their state pension at all

[...]The voluntary Class 3 NI contributions scheme lets you fill in gaps in your NI record from the past six years (in rare cases, ten) by paying a lump sum. 

The cost should be a maximum of £741 a year, which buys £237 a year income for life. [...]

But a quirk in the system means savers are able to pay into the scheme even if it doesn't boost their state pension.

The confusion has arisen due to the arrival of the single-tier state pension, worth £159.55 a week, in 2016

To qualify for this amount, savers need 35 years of full NI contributions. By comparison, they only required 30 to get the full basic £122.30-a-week pension under the old scheme. 

To ensure no pensioner loses out, the Government works out if you would have been better off on the old scheme. If it finds you would have been, and you already had the full 30 years of NI contributions by April 2016, any attempt to boost your pension will be futile."

I accept that your case means I'm wrong though. Perhaps if you got to 35 years contributions before April 2016 this counts, but back-paying to fill up gaps that would have got you to 35 years before April 2016 doesn't count?

Edited by partington
21 minutes ago, partington said:

I accept that your case means I'm wrong though. Perhaps if you got to 35 years contributions before April 2016 this counts, but back-paying to fill up gaps that would have got you to 35 years before April 2016 doesn't count?

I'm in a similar situation (30 years under old system), so I asked and they said only paying for years under the new system will increase my pension.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, partington said:

I've not looked at it carefully as it doesnt apply to me, but I think it is indeed to do with trying to buy top-up years in the new regime when you are in fact missing years in the old regime.

There is one other thing that may apply: if you were contracted out of SERPS at any time you may find that your new state pension takes that into account and will be lower than expected. You cant top that up either.