Falang Go Home . . .

Checker

I've lived and worked in four countries outside Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan and Fiji, and I've never felt welcome in any. I guess it's because they feel foreigners are there taking their jobs, in spite of my time there being government and union approved, and having work permits.

Japanese were probably the worst in blatantly not wanting foreigners there.

If you're in work that they obviously can't do, like English teaching, then it may be different.

Well there was that little thing about being occupied after WW II and a million Japanese women dating or going home with GI's. Then there was the White Australia policy that probably started the Japanese anger that led to WW II in the first place.

Not by the memoires of Mister Churchill, he pointed to the US who forced Japan go to war, and he blames them also for the dawnfall of the Weimar republic who's brought Mr. Hitler to power.

allofftopic.gif of course

the White Australia Policy ..... led the fight to defeat a Japanese-sponsored racial-equality amendment to the League of Nations Covenant and so the Aussie's were really the first ones to tell the Japanese they were not welcome in the world of white people which led to the Asian people telling the white people to go home. It is kind of on topic if you consider the reasons that Asian people tell white people to go home.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lady went to the police who were overseeing stuff, to ask if the farang can drink a beer at the Wat, they said yes, so someone went out and bought me a beer.

And the insidious, farang-induced, self-destruction of Thai culture seeps into yet another innocent moobahn....

A lady went to the police who were overseeing stuff, to ask if the farang can drink a beer at the Wat, they said yes, so someone went out and bought me a beer.

And the insidious, farang-induced, self-destruction of Thai culture seeps into yet another innocent moobahn....

Think not, I never asked for a beer, it was put in front of me, at the table where we were all eating.

Think you have miss the point of the topic.

AN UPDATE.

Couple of days later my mrs had a call from the lady who asked us to go to the Wat. She was on the phone till her credit ran out. A very happy lady, she said village folk keep coming to her house to know the story of how she had a farang and hi-so Thai lady as friends and my involvement in the festivities made them all very happy.

The lady's husband was at the Wat, whom we haven't met, and asked how she knows hi-so farang people, he said this cos his wife was arm in arm with the mrs, she told him they are the same as us,

Thai people.

PPS. Must add we are not hi-so people but cos of the farang thing the village folk think ''millionaire'' and for them a WOW at a local community fetivity and for sure knowing that ''I'' made a difference to hundreds of poor folks lives, even only a few hours, makes my day.

• Like 2

I have very, very little contact with Thai people, out of choice, so I don't really care if they want me to go home or not. smile.png

Really ?

How very strange.

I have very very little contact with falang.

I like Thai people (mostly).

That's one of the reasons that I love Thailand and have been here for 30 years.

You should try it some time.

You are missing a really wonderful part of the country that you live in (that is if you live here....).

since this thread is still rolling i'll drop my 2 cents.

i smile at everyone all the time, even if they aren't. some of the younger guys in the village give me dirty looks. not sure why.

the only one in the village that truly hates me is the mother of a girl who married a farang and took off to Australia - and didn't send any money home. the mom is bitter and talks bad about farangs all the time. she verbally abused my mother-in-law for years for allowing her daughter (my wife) to marry a farang. then i built the biggest house in the closest 3 villages, making my mother-in-law the top dog and envy of all her friends.

the lady always drives down our street on her scooter every day, even tho its out of the way from her house, and she never smiled at me in the year we've owned the house. last week i did get a smile out of her, but i think it was an accident. maybe a bug hit her face.

of course, i always smile. why wouldn't i? this is easy life and i am sabai mak mak :D (or whatever they say lol)

^^

I for one thought your story was one of them "feel good stories", and thought it was nice to hear.

Yeh. I have learned that Thais are brilliant at ''reading'' folk, reading what ''really'' is coming from within, one can smile BUT they know the real you.

Where ever l go l always get on with the locals, don't know why. I asked the mrs why everyone Thai takes to me, she got out the dictionary to find the ''aura'', she said you have an aura that Thai people feel huh.png . Hmmmmmm, l said, pity l don't have that on Thaivisa laugh.png .

• Like 1

I have very, very little contact with Thai people, out of choice, so I don't really care if they want me to go home or not. smile.png

Really ?

How very strange.

You are missing a really wonderful part of the country that you live in (that is if you live here....).

i have very little contact with Thais and very little contact with Farangs, don't find it strange and believe that this is the reason why i live since years a peaceful life in Thailand. you keep your wonderful part of the country, i keep mine!

Really ?

How very strange.

i have very little contact with Thais and very little contact with Farangs, don't find it strange and believe that this is the reason why i live since years a peaceful life in Thailand. you keep your wonderful part of the country, i keep mine!

Yeh, but that's cos your head is always under the hood of that 'ol BMW eh. laugh.png

Really ?

How very strange.

Works for me.

Goodbye lonely one......

The knowledge of other cultures from the side of thai people is virtually zero.

So what they like or dislike in foreigners is based on some kind of childish emotional response, not on rational argumentations.

Do you take serious a child who tells to you he want to Boeman out of his room?....

It is not the people who want farangs to go home ,it's the politicians.

They try to make a climate of hate to us,so finaly the people really hate us and can blame us for all their

stupidity.

It starts with the media: articles about farangs owning allready 30% of their beloved country !

Their children will have no more land to build a house............

The farang makes the price of land skyhigh ..........

The farang is creating companies to go arround the law.......

The farang bring in the drugs problem.....

The farang is allways complaining how stupid the thais are.....

So politicians are trying to make the farangs life difficult: every month the rules of immigration change.......

They are going to investigate farang-thai companies..........

When you enter the country .....they make you wait for hours ....as to show you you mean nothing to them...

Police fine you ....take your driver licence and make you wait for hours to pay and get your driverlicense back and you even didn't do anything wrong .

On budda days the non budist farang can not drink alcohol,.........

And if you finaly get angry....you risk your life .

I love to be here ! My home country is worse !

• Like 1

I have met this from Thais in forums but never in real life. What is far more common is Thais who maintain that no matter how long you live here you will never understand Thainess.

Think not, I never asked for a beer, it was put in front of me, at the table where we were all eating.

AN UPDATE.

Couple of days later my mrs had a call from the lady who asked us to go to the Wat. She was on the phone till her credit ran out. A very happy lady, she said village folk keep coming to her house to know the story of how she had a farang and hi-so Thai lady as friends and my involvement in the festivities made them all very happy.

The lady's husband was at the Wat, whom we haven't met, and asked how she knows hi-so farang people, he said this cos his wife was arm in arm with the mrs, she told him they are the same as us,

Thai people.

PPS. Must add we are not hi-so people but cos of the farang thing the village folk think ''millionaire'' and for them a WOW at a local community fetivity and for sure knowing that ''I'' made a difference to hundreds of poor folks lives, even only a few hours, makes my day.

I know the problem, I am the only Farang for miles around, so I am expected to grace, weddings, funerals, monkhoods, and every type of public religious function.

Id say thais couldnt give a toss about farangs staying or going . Its not as if we can sponge of their welfare system or buy land. Why would they care?

I think its just farangs that want farangs to go home so they can say..... Hey ive lived here for so many years, im so thai and cool i know more than you about thailand. I can eat spicey and read and write thai. I never speak english with my wife at home. Im the best farang and im the only one that should be here. Now the rest of you f off home

Well it seems that way on thaivisa anyhow.

drunk.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

I dont read the thai newspapers but the english language press prints plenty of articles that IMO are meant to drive a wedge between Thais and everyone else. It is a fact that land ownership is a hot topic and the subject will get the average Thais panties in a pinch as will stories of physical and verbal abuse. I believe the Powers that Be are the ones who fear us the most and do what they can to keep us on a short leash.

AN UPDATE.

Thai people.

I know the problem, I am the only Farang for miles around, so I am expected to grace, weddings, funerals, monkhoods, and every type of public religious function.

I refer this to being the "Pet" Falang, and that is not meaning to disrespect anyone. The times I have been invited to parties, weddings, cremations, and ended up at the VIP table (without neccessarily knowing the hosts) and felt that I am either being shown off or given preferential treatment is practically all the time.

I am by nature down to earth and never show or speak disrespect to anyone (intentionally), nor would I class myself anywhere near Hi-So. I like to mingle with everyone, so the above treatment can be embarrassing at times.

I've only been told this by girls as they leave me because I haven't satisfied their financial expectations.

I've paid them what I've told them I'll pay them, plus made frequent voluntary bonus payments and gifts, but they obviously thought I was just testing them and were hoping for some mysterious jackpot to materialize from somewhere.

I think in general as long you as you have money to spend, or otherwise contribute to your community in a positive way, you're welcome here. If you are shown to be a negative **and** spend little money, then I think they are perfectly justified in wanting to see your back.

I refer this to being the "Pet" Falang, and that is not meaning to disrespect anyone. The times I have been invited to parties, weddings, cremations, and ended up at the VIP table (without neccessarily knowing the hosts) and felt that I am either being shown off or given preferential treatment is practically all the time.

I am by nature down to earth and never show or speak disrespect to anyone (intentionally), nor would I class myself anywhere near Hi-So. I like to mingle with everyone, so the above treatment can be embarrassing at times.

Yes indeed I call it being "the local farang", at times I feel owned by the community, a prize exhibit. Everything I do is studied and discussed in detail, often embarrassing detail by my standards. What makes it worse is they know I used to be an Ajarn.