Horse Power Of Current Thai Models

macknife

I've heard people mentioning the current horsepower of certain models so how do they compare?

Forget fuel consumption because I would think most farngs here don't care that much.

Would I be right in saying that Horse power is the bottom line in how fast bikes will actually go?

So what is it?

Scoopy

Fino

New Mio

New Click

Airbalde

Elegance

Old PCX

New PCX

Old 150CBR

New 150CBR

CBR 250

Kawasaki 250

Er6n

Kw 650

Versys

etc

The leader of the horsepower pack in Thailand is the MV Agusta F4 RR which produces about 198.5 horsepower (or 148 kW).

But would have been the Kawasaki ZX10R if it was still obtainable, 209 with Ram air.

RAM Air is not real useful horsepower, as the maximum horsepower is near the maximum speed of the motorcycle. The Kawasaki is limited to a speed below 300km/h, the MV Agusta has not been limited and has as “tested” maximum speed 322km/h...

So at around 290km/h the Kawasaki engine is capable to produce 207hp (154.4kW). So I guess you get pretty quick to the last 10km/h... before you hit the 300km/h speed limiter... (by-the-way 209.9ps is not the same as horsepower)

Of course we talking about pure theoretical stuff we cannot even test on the tracks in Thailand as most are just to short.

Edited by Richard-BKK

The leader of the horsepower pack in Thailand is the MV Agusta F4 RR which produces about 198.5 horsepower (or 148 kW).

But would have been the Kawasaki ZX10R if it was still obtainable, 209 with Ram air.

RAM Air is not real useful horsepower, as the maximum horsepower is near the maximum speed of the motorcycle. The Kawasaki is limited to a speed below 300km/h, the MV Agusta has not been limited and has as “tested” maximum speed 322km/h...

So at around 290km/h the Kawasaki engine is capable to produce 207hp (154.4kW). So I guess you get pretty quick to the last 10km/h... before you hit the 300km/h speed limiter... (by-the-way 209.9ps is not the same as horsepower)

Of course we talking about pure theoretical stuff we cannot even test on the tracks in Thailand as most are just to short.

I could not imagine going 322km/h on a bike, when I get up to 140km/h I back off it's just to fast, I prefer slower speeds it's safer and more enjoyable!!

I could not imagine going 322km/h on a bike, when I get up to 140km/h I back off it's just to fast, I prefer slower speeds it's safer and more enjoyable!!

I hundred percent agree with you...

at

that speed you are basically like a bullet fired from a gun

if shit happens at 322km/h you are not going to swerve out of the way and avoid it and dont think that brakes will help much either :(

ive hit 250km and even there if someone pulled out of nowwhere,a dog ran out , or a big pothole in the road ,i woulda been finished 100%

i my bike could do it i wouldnt dream about doing those speeds of 322km etc ,even close to 200kmph my heart rate doubles ,its just not comfortable or relaxing :)

Most guys wouldn't ride at 322 kph but they'll sit in a bar telling you there bike can.

(waits with baited breath for the "speak for yourself" one-up-man-ship response)

In real world terms - here's my view:

Scoopy

Fino

New Mio

New Click

Airbalde

- all the same with only tiny differences in power - just enough for city use, could do with a bit more in the Bangkok traffic light drag race, but tyres, engines sitting on swing arms, traffic and poor roads are the real limiting factors.

Elegance

Old PCX

New PCX

Old 150CBR

New 150CBR

- marginally more power, but above limiting factors mean that it's not enough to make a real word difference. Changing gear on the bigger ones not worth the effort for the small performance advantage and nowhere to put your 7-11 bags.

CBR 250

Kawasaki 250

- perfect power for the city, liveable out of the city but more would be nice. Better tyres, brakes, handling allow you to use the extra power and worth the effort of changing gear and losing the under seat stroage and bag hooks.

Er6n

Kw 650

Versys

- too heavy for Bangkok traffic and no chance to use the extra power over the 250's in the city, but perfect for out of the city and you will never really need any more power than these bikes in Thailand unless you are a total head case.

Discuss .....

Edited by Familyonthemove

Scoopy

Fino

New Mio

New Click

Airbalde

- all the same with only tiny differences in power - just enough for city use, could do with a bit more in the Bangkok traffic light drag race, but tyres, engines sitting on swing arms, traffic and poor roads are the real limiting factors.

Elegance

Old PCX

New PCX

Old 150CBR

New 150CBR

- marginally more power, but above limiting factors mean that it's not enough to make a real word difference. Changing gear on the bigger ones not worth the effort for the small performance advantage and nowhere to put your 7-11 bags.

CBR 250

Kawasaki 250

- perfect power for the city, liveable out of the city but more would be nice. Better tyres, brakes, handling allow you to use the extra power and worth the effort of changing gear and losing the under seat stroage and bag hooks.

Er6n

Kw 650

Versys

- too heavy for Bangkok traffic and no chance to use the extra power over the 250's in the city, but perfect for out of the city and you will never really need any more power than these bikes in Thailand unless you are a total head case.

Discuss .....

that sums it up very well ,there is not a lot of opportunity to let rip on a big 650 in bkk traffic jams

you actually make better time on an elegance sometimes in the most heavily congested areas

if you have enough cash ,i would choose the elegance for the city use(you dont need more ,no matter what people say :) ) and a er6n or insert dream bike here for a weekend bike to go away on to the beach or the mountains etc

of course there will always be possibilities :) ,i seen a bmw adventure 1150 or 1200cc for 300k this morning ,fully decked out with touring boxes

thats a bike id like to try but it may be a bit heavy for my usage ........

The OP might find this site useful. http://www.bikez.com

I can't help thinking the OP's post is a bit like "I've heard in Thailand that some pieces of string are longer than others. How long is a piece of string?"

Not a bad site but it doesn't even have a CBR150, or any scooters that I know in Thailand except for the PCX and it doesn't show the HP values for most of the bikes i looked at.

What I was really trying to ask for is something that is of benefit to others. For example, someone may want to buy a new Click or old Mio and can't decide, so which between the two has more power, ie faster? Maybe someone can't decide between a CBR250 or a Ninja 250, so which has more HP or power so to speak? Should a PCX125 owner buy a new PCX? What's the HP difference?

I'm no expert on bikes but I'm guessing that a bike in the same class with more HP is faster than the other. eg If a CBR250 has 20HP and a Ninja 250 has 25HP then its faster and justifies its higher price.

So a list of HP values for local bikes could benefit others.

I can't help thinking the OP's post is a bit like "I've heard in Thailand that some pieces of string are longer than others. How long is a piece of string?"

Not a bad site but it doesn't even have a CBR150, or any scooters that I know in Thailand except for the PCX and it doesn't show the HP values for most of the bikes i looked at.

What I was really trying to ask for is something that is of benefit to others. For example, someone may want to buy a new Click or old Mio and can't decide, so which between the two has more power, ie faster? Maybe someone can't decide between a CBR250 or a Ninja 250, so which has more HP or power so to speak? Should a PCX125 owner buy a new PCX? What's the HP difference?

I'm no expert on bikes but I'm guessing that a bike in the same class with more HP is faster than the other. eg If a CBR250 has 20HP and a Ninja 250 has 25HP then its faster and justifies its higher price.

its not so simple as highest HP is the fastest and /or best bike for your money ,you have to consider all the variables in the equasion

Scoopy

Fino

New Mio

New Click

Airbalde

Elegance

Old PCX

New PCX

Old 150CBR

New 150CBR

CBR 250

Kawasaki 250

Er6n

Kw 650

Versys

Discuss .....

You're not the first to call me a total head case and probably not the last crazy.gif

Love my new KLX350 in the city- with that 21" front wheel it hops curbs and floats over potholes with ease.

But it's really not terribly comfortable over 100kph. When the traffic eases then the Versys/ER6n/Ninja650 are good fun in the city.

You might not believe it, but I find it's not too hard to get the Gixxer through traffic either. Since she doesn't wear mirrors she's really not much wider than your average scooter. :)

Love my new KLX350 in the city- with that 21" front wheel it hops curbs and floats over potholes with ease.

KLX350?? Did you that one in Thailand? How much?

Ah, I found this thread which explains all.....

Edited by Lite Beer
Link Removed

Here is my contribution for the Honda PCX125i

Key Specs:

* Engine:125cc, 4-stroke, SOHC, 2-valve, liquid cooled single

* Power: 11.1hp, 8.5 lbs/ft torque

* Compression: 11.0:1

* Bore x stroke: 52.4 mm x 57.9mm

* Fuel system: PGM-Fi with autochoke

* Starting: Electric

* Ignition: Digital with electronic advance

* Transmission: Honda V-matic

* Front suspension: 31 mm hydraulic fork with 3.5” travel

* Rear suspension: 2.9” travel

* Front brakes: Single 220 mm disc, 3 piston caliper and CBS

* Rear brake: Drum with CBS (combined braking system)

* Seat height: 29.9”

* Wheelbase: 51.4"

* Weight: 280 lbs (wet)

* Tires: 90/90-14 (front), 100/90-14 (rear)

* Fuel capacity: 1.6 Gallon

What I was really trying to ask for is something that is of benefit to others.

A good idea but why do you wish others to do the work. A couple of hours of creative surfing and an Excel spreadsheet should net all the info. Which can then be published as you say for the benefit of others.

HP is not the only indicator of a bike or scooters performance although it is good for pub chat and brochures. All things have to be considered. Ninja might justify a higher price because the components are better or the overall package is better?

Edited by VocalNeal

A good idea but why do you wish others to do the work. A couple of hours of creative surfing and an Excel spreadsheet should net all the info. Which can then be published as you say for the benefit of others.

HP is not the only indicator of a bike or scooters performance although it is good for pub chat and brochures. All things have to be considered. Ninja might justify a higher price because the components are better or the overall package is better?

I'm not asking anyone to do any work, I figured some of the 'experts' on here would already know the HP value of their own bike(s).

Interesting that you say HP doesn't always indicate the overall performance.

I'm not asking anyone to do any work, I figured some of the 'experts' on here would already know the HP value of their own bike(s).

My bike is very very fast!!!!!

you need to look at the bigger picture .acceleration , torque,weight ,gearing ,fuel capacity ,carrying capability .gas consumption ,reliabiity,suspension ,steering ,brakes,handling etc

many of these things are as important , if not more important in what makes one of two similar bikes beter than the other

Me too can't decide between new click & mio. I think the mio looks better but feel that the click may have the better overall package. Had a mio for run around for the past 4-5 years and it's ok but seem to have to fill up far too often. I see the new click has a 5L tank, think this may be the winner. Anyone out there got the new click? any comments?

Me too can't decide between new click & mio. I think the mio looks better but feel that the click may have the better overall package. Had a mio for run around for the past 4-5 years and it's ok but seem to have to fill up far too often. I see the new click has a 5L tank, think this may be the winner. Anyone out there got the new click? any comments?

Wait for the new Nouvo and / or the Mio 125i which should be out befor the Nouvo. :)

Most guys wouldn't ride at 322 kph but they'll sit in a bar telling you there bike can.

(waits with baited breath for the "speak for yourself" one-up-man-ship response)

I'll bite but with a twist... on way to Chiang Mai on open stretch of road with not a soul around i opened up the Fazer and hit 240km/h for a nanosecond then backed right down.. bike still had allot left but I didn't ... just cant see the point or tilting the risk- reward curve so much in favour of risk with those types of speeds. 140km/h on nice highway/ low traffic/ good weather is OK but super high speed touring.. nope Im a chicken

I'll bite but with a twist... on way to Chiang Mai on open stretch of road with not a soul around i opened up the Fazer and hit 240km/h for a nanosecond then backed right down.. bike still had allot left but I didn't ... just cant see the point or tilting the risk- reward curve so much in favour of risk with those types of speeds. 140km/h on nice highway/ low traffic/ good weather is OK but super high speed touring.. nope Im a chicken

The problem with the Z1000 is that there is no wind protection so going over 100kph is scary, if the front screen is bigger I dare say I would go up to 150kph providing the screen protected me from the wind, but anything over that for me is frightening!! yes I am a chicken!!

The problem with the Z1000 is that there is no wind protection so going over 100kph is scary, if the front screen is bigger I dare say I would go up to 150kph providing the screen protected me from the wind, but anything over that for me is frightening!! yes I am a chicken!!

Very interesting such statements. So you take a bike with lot more than 100hp and use it for cruising at 100-140kmh. May i ask why? Do you feel safer with this much power kept in reserve? Do you feel safer because of better brakes, bigger tires, etc.? I guess you not only use such bike because of the nice and powerful look?

Ohh god.. Wonton soup for brains has been reading "yes you can be Freud too" again.

Wonton,,, off topic... take it and run with it in new topic, invite all your friends to comment.. should be a short post

WontonSfB.. if I admit your right will you go away ???

People like bikes of all sizes just like people like cars of all sizes, owning a big bike or big car does not mean you have to be a dick head and drive like a lunatic, I prefer most of the time driving between 80/100kph a nice speed and very safe, now and then I will go to 140kph which is very windy and can be scary, owning a big powerful bike does not mean you have to drive to limits you are uncomfortable with!!!

It has nothing to do with bigger brakes, bigger tires etc or power in reserve, it is a bike I have chosen to own because of the look,the sound and it is just great to drive!!

Edited by kawapower

People like bikes of all sizes just like people like cars of all sizes, owning a big bike or big car does not mean you have to be a dick head and drive like a lunatic, I prefer most of the time driving between 80/100kph a nice speed and very safe, now and then I will go to 140kph which is very windy and can be scary, owning a big powerful bike does not mean you have to drive to limits you are uncomfortable with!!!

It has nothing to do with bigger brakes, bigger tires etc or power in reserve, it is a bike I have chosen to own because of the look,the sound and it is just great to drive!!

Thanks for answer. Maybe it sounds a bit like a stupid question, but i am used to small bikes. I never thought there would be a need for a "real" big bike. Its just that after some years driving on thai streets i ask myself what bike is the "safest". There are many things to consider. Hard facts like power, handling, brakes, tires, and so on. And things that are more difficult to describe, like "How does the appearance of the bike influence other highway users to pay more respect".

For eample there is one thing noone can deny: If you own such a big bike, noone will laugh at you if you put on the most expensive safety gear, even if you never drive faster than 120kmh. Try this with a CBR150 and many people will laugh at you. So this is also sure one of the advantages of riding a "big" big bike.

In most statistics the powerful bikes have more serious accidents IIRR. But if i drive carefully and looking ahead, is a big bike safer on the highway? How "big" does it have to be to be "safest"? Crazy questions i know. I don't expect an answer, just wanted to explain my initial thougths smile.png

@monty: Who is Wonton?