Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

"What is wrong with keeping balloons out of the hands of the wrong people?"

Balloons, land mines, torture equipment, cluster bombs, chemical weapons are weapons designed to inflict pain and death on human beings. Most victims are civilians, women and children. How can balloon manufacturers, weapons designers, plant managers, politicians, who have families of their own whom they love, be so insensitive when it comes to the suffering of other human beings?

Wot? ohmy.png .... Balloons are weapons designed to inflict pain? Wot? ohmy.png

>swift removal< face.......... you are a missile off the mark on this one fella!

-mel.

Just going with the flow of justification of having ones head bashed in over such a lethal and dangerous weapon as a kiddies balloon.

Comic relief, "Mr bean does BTS? What's next no chewing gum?

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I saw of the video and read elsewhere, it's the guys own fault. He tried to do something that isn't allowed, got abusive, and got what was to be expected when you get abusive with security/police.

I must agree with the Tatsujin's remarks made above. Aggression meets aggression and in this case ‘head on’. The Farong could have avoided this incident entirely by simply saying "sorry I forgot the rules" and then turn around and take a taxi home. He should have known that balloons are not allowed on public transport. The reason is obvious, imagine if they pop and make an explosion sound - the result could be disaster. Many have died in stampedes in other parts of the world for far less in crowded areas. In essence we have the clown that yells “FIRE” in a crowded theatre syndrome. It is a good rule and should be seriously enforced. This Farong knew he was breaking the rules - otherwise he must not be very intelligent.

We foreigners often forget, we are guests here, being polite should be at the top of everyone's priority. It is easy to get lost in one's own dogmatic behavior simply because we ourselves do not want to lose face. If that Farong had been in any other major Western city in the world and the authority told him in a stern voice "no balloons" do you really think he would have continued on like he did?

To be clear, I am not condoning the BTS guard’s hostile act but what was he to do, call the police? I do not know the answer but now assuredly, the BTS officials will be discussing long and hard what new policy needs to be put in place for any future trouble such as this one.

Let's get it right, thousands upon thousands of riders a day use the BTS without incident; this Farong was wrong, he is the type that makes us foreigners all look bad in the eyes of the Thai.

I wonder which part of the western world many TV posters come from when they suggest Thailand is a violent place to live. In the 10 years I have lived in SE Asia I have never witnessed anything more violent that a Saturday night fight in an average city centre in UK, USA, Australia.........

If you don't p-ss people off by shagging their girlfriend, acting aggressively, making the locals lose face or indeed breaking security rules such as taking baloons on the BTS, then it is VERY unlikely you will find yourself in this type of situation.

With the current security situation in Thailand being as it is, I applaud the security staff for actually doing the job they are being paid to do, under difficult circumstances dealing with stubburn, drunk, jumped up members of the public who think they have a god given right to put security at risk.

What was the poor British couple that were beaten to death by the chef and security guard the other day guilty of? Not liking the room service?

• Like 1

In a first world country the passenger would be fairly tried for whatever he would be alleged having done. This could be property damage (trash bin), staff assault (verbal or physical).

In the same first world country the passenger would also sue with success the guard, security firm and train operator for the injury due to the inappropriate use of force in a potentially dangerous and life threatening manner.

Here in Thailand all parties at the end will agree with an arrangement to avoid face loss, but being a foreigner involved, this foreigner will probably be the looser as the problem would never have occured without him being in Thailand

Never forget: You have no rights here if you are not Thai. And Thais are deeply racist, but happilly get in our days abroad what they deserve.

And of course you are not deeply racist? Laugh. Out. Loud. This idiot was lucky to get away with a smack on the head. Many countries ban balloons on the subway, for obvious reasons, The gas attack on the subway in Tokyo being an obvious one. He was self evidently pissed, coming back from a party, showing off in front of his mate, Watching him pushing and shoving the female security guard, what on earth did he expect? In America or the UK he would probably have been shot! Remember the Brazilian lad who got three to the head whilst laying on the floor of a tube train under restraint, whilst going about his lawful business? This idiot can count himself lucky he is not in the mortuary. in Bangkok! A teacher? Jesus H Christ, what does he teach? Time for him to go back where he came from i think, before he drags the rest of us down in the gutter with him. I have to say i am surprised and somewhat disappointed to see Andrew Drummond running with this,especially the one sided stance he is taking. I really did think he was better than that.

I wonder which part of the western world many TV posters come from when they suggest Thailand is a violent place to live. In the 10 years I have lived in SE Asia I have never witnessed anything more violent that a Saturday night fight in an average city centre in UK, USA, Australia.........

If you don't p-ss people off by shagging their girlfriend, acting aggressively, making the locals lose face or indeed breaking security rules such as taking baloons on the BTS, then it is VERY unlikely you will find yourself in this type of situation.

With the current security situation in Thailand being as it is, I applaud the security staff for actually doing the job they are being paid to do, under difficult circumstances dealing with stubburn, drunk, jumped up members of the public who think they have a god given right to put security at risk.

Security staff? A ya ba junkie 19 year old, with a stick, fresh from Ubon........ you're having a larff! Stay in Laos.... you will be safe, I'm sure. ;)

-mel.

Security staff? A ya ba junkie 19 year old, with a stick, fresh from Ubon........ you're having a larff! Stay in Laos.... you will be safe, I'm sure. wink.png

-mel.

Last orders Mel, last orders!

What was the poor British couple that were beaten to death by the chef and security guard the other day guilty of? Not liking the room service?

I am not aware of the news story you are refering to, so thus, cannot comment.Perhaps you would care to post a link. Note I did say you are very unlikely to find yourself in this type of situation.

I am not aware of the news story you are refering to, so thus, cannot comment.Perhaps you would care to post a link. Note I did say you are very unlikely to find yourself in this type of situation.

Here is the story, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540704-british-man-wife-murdered-in-thai-resort/page__hl__british%20couple%20beaten%20to%20death

or maybe it was this one http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/162215-two-tourists-in-pai-shot-by-a-police-officer/page__hl__british%20couple%20beaten%20to%20death

Oh wait maybe this one, so many I get confused sorry, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/41189-british-woman-stabbed-to-death-in-phuket/page__hl__british%20couple%20beaten%20to%20death

• Like 1

Security staff? A ya ba junkie 19 year old, with a stick, fresh from Ubon........ you're having a larff! Stay in Laos.... you will be safe, I'm sure. wink.png

-mel.

Last orders Mel, last orders!

I only take orders from Hong Kong..... preferably dog and chips as I fly in.

Go back Mel. Post #467 please. You done well fellah! Plus I'd like to know what you think of the 0.53 part of the vid (remember the vid? This thread is about)

From what I saw of the video and read elsewhere, it's the guys own fault. He tried to do something that isn't allowed, got abusive, and got what was to be expected when you get abusive with security/police.

Not allowed..??? Balloons on the skytrain not allowed??? Shall I tell you how many Thai mothers with their child are boarding the skytrain with baloons in their hands??? Again to blame the high temper from this low educated security guards as usual. Companies cannot afford to recruit better educated security staf than the low level country-men with high temper (usually coming from the South) to harass foreigners in the country, be it on the sky train, at a parking lot, at the airport or at the entrance boot of a national park...

Same like boarding an aircraft with soft "French cheese", considered by these low educted staff (and here I speak about the European security staff: Thailand has no soft-cheeses...) as "gel" and therefore considered to be potentially explosives... But these guys are smart: they eat these [confiscated] cheeses themselves at their dining table at night!

Getting sick of all these creep in ridiculous uniforms with badges and handcuffs at their belt, not even capable of reading the text of a parking ticket... It's really a low-paid and low-level job but extremely harassing to other people, tourists or commuters... Time that the Companies who recruit them give them a serious training in good behaviour and restraint...

Good to read that the skytrain management has seen already the problem and admits... Even without arguing... Very encouraging and I applaud that!

it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

Absolutely agree...

... guys ...the video shows the aftermath of the assault, not the assault itself ... the assault by the BTS security guard was described by a witness as multiple strikes to the head with a metal baton.

... I go through the Phrom Pong BTS Station every day and took a look and where this all happened ... the footage of the entire assault will be on the BTS's security cameras ... 3 of them, all directed at the place where this happened.

... getting the BTS' video will show the whole story ... I hope the BTS doesn't go bonehead on us and deny access to the security video.

... wonderful how technology is rising to the fore as a private sector policing tool ... where police were unwilling or unable to do anything in the past, the private citizen is now empowered to put fear in criminals.

... no sweeping this sort of stuff under the rug anymore.

• Like 1

On BTS own website they say that there is no rule against balloons. It is up to the judgement of each station, depending on the person and their balloons entering.

So in other words, you can get smacked in the face if you go through 3 stations without a problem and then meet a unqualified guard on the fourth that uses their baton instead of words.

And for those unable to read the background info, the person filming the confrontation is a non-related bystander, a Thai woman, that was chocked over how the man got smacked by the guard.

AND the smack, causing the man to bleed on the side of his face, precedes the filming.

It is most likely what triggered the filming and the mans bull-headed 'I'm gonna storm through anyway'-response. Atleast he didn't outright attack the guard.

• Like 1

Here is the story, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540704-british-man-wife-murdered-in-thai-resort/page__hl__british%20couple%20beaten%20to%20death

or maybe it was this one http://www.thaivisa....en%20to%20death

Oh wait maybe this one, so many I get confused sorry, http://www.thaivisa....en%20to%20death

I do apologise for missing this sad story on TV. I must have been doing something interesting the day it broke.

Back on topic, I still stand by the fact that you are VERY UNLIKELY to find yourself in this type of situation in Thailand unless you upset people.

• Like 1

We foreigners often forget, we are guests here,

I'd been waiting for this most asinine of comments to arise...

What a shame those nasty men hi-jacking those planes on 9-11 didn't share your sensibilities...

I'd hate to see how you treat guests in your house too....maybe a golf club over the back of the swede on entering...

Time to get some actual work done and will follow Metisdead's advice before I get sucked into responding to some of these personal attacks . But I do suggest folks actually watch the video before they believe the headline or the first sentence of the article because the video does NOT show a foreigner being assaulted as the article claims. In fact it is a fairly lengthy video of an out of control foreigner attacking calm and reserved security officers and needing to be restrained by another farang.

GOOD GOD MAN! How many times do you need to be told that the clip is AFTER he was struck in the face/head?

<snipped - all caps insulting personal attack>

A bit overly excited over imaginary statements since I never indicated the guy was injured after the video and was commenting on the article stating something (headline) that is not backed up by video or witnesses in the article and then the article stating in the first sentence of the article inaccurately stating the video shows the man being assaulted.

Given your trouble understand my simple comments in the above post and your easily excited personality I would suggest you not try to enter a BTS with balloons wink.png

Edited by Nisa

Nisa >> The video shows a foreigner just after he is assaulted, visibly bleeding on the side of his face. Perhaps if you spent less time and energy trying to say that the video isn't showing an assault, when video of the result and the witness statement from the photographer clearly is saying there was one, the poster above would have let your 'defense' slide.

BTS file complaints against foreign passenger

March 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator the Skytrain, has lodged a complaint against a foreign passenger who allegedly quarrelled and fought with BTS security guards over his attempt to bring along four floating balloons into a train.

The passenger, John Behan, has also filed a complaint against the security guards. In his complaint, the guards attacked him in front of his young daughter."Our complaint is about the damages to property and attempts to attack our staff members," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said Thursday.

The Nation http://www.nationmul...r-30178521.html

Edited by Nisa

The farang isn't very aggressive in the video. As a comparatively bigger guy than the guard, I am sure the guard would have been on the floor easily if the farang was not slightly restraining himself. In any event, he has been hit in the head several times, so I don't think he is in the right state of mind to control himself fully.

I saw a Thai Tv news show yesterday (at 8am!) of some Thai (girl) students smacking the s%$# out of each other. Now that would have been more likely if the guy was in the mood, or condition, to kick off.

Finally, for the cheap seats, for the slow class... the video is AFTER the hitting! He may or may not have been acting like that before he was hit- there is no evidence yet, and therefore we can't say he is a thug or "deserved it". Are we now all on the same page? Jeez...

Nisa >> The video shows a foreigner just after he is assaulted, visibly bleeding on the side of his face. Perhaps if you spent less time and energy trying to say that the video isn't showing an assault, when video of the result and the witness statement from the photographer clearly is saying there was one, the poster above would have let your 'defense' slide.

When did I say the video doesn't show the foreigner after his injury? I am simply pointing out that the OP states false information

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok police is planning to question all parties involved in
a video clip posted on Youtube showing a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards

and a headline

Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard

that is not backed up by anything in the video or anything in the article. HOWEVER, I do notice the original Drummond article has since been replaced with a Tan Network news article that is much more professional but still states the video includes something it doesn't and still makes no reference to an "assualt" except in the headings and false reference to the video containing the assault on the foreigner.

The new article actually seems to indicate he may not have been "assaulted" at all and may have received his injuries while security tried to restrain his violent outburst while destroying BTS property.

As for witness statement from from the photographer. You will have to provide a link because both articles said they were still trying to figure out who the photographer even is.

Edited by Nisa

On BTS own website they say that there is no rule against balloons. It is up to the judgement of each station, depending on the person and their balloons entering.

Link please. This goes against every sign I see at the BTS as well as the statements in the OP from the BTS President.

But even if what you say is accurate this station obviously had a rule in place that was too much for this guy to handle without a violent outburst ... according to the initial BTS investigation and the video.

Edited by Nisa

Link please. This goes against every sign I see at the BTS as well as the statements in the OP from the BTS President.

But even if what you say is accurate this station obviously had a rule in place that was too much for this guy to handle without a violent outburst ... according to the initial BTS investigation and the video.

http://www.bts.co.th/corporate/th/07-webboard-detail.aspx?id=194187

I have seen against balloons at the MRT, not remember seeing it for the BTS.

The farang isn't very aggressive in the video. As a comparatively bigger guy than the guard, I am sure the guard would have been on the floor easily if the farang was not slightly restraining himself. In any event, he has been hit in the head several times, so I don't think he is in the right state of mind to control himself fully.

I saw a Thai Tv news show yesterday (at 8am!) of some Thai (girl) students smacking the s%$# out of each other. Now that would have been more likely if the guy was in the mood, or condition, to kick off.

Finally, for the cheap seats, for the slow class... the video is AFTER the hitting! He may or may not have been acting like that before he was hit- there is no evidence yet, and therefore we can't say he is a thug or "deserved it". Are we now all on the same page? Jeez...

Actually the video clearly shows him acting in a violent and criminal fashion and there is nothing that could have happened prior that would excuse his behavior. Even if he felt he was assaulted by another security officer or even one of the ones he is being shown attacking in this video. Clearly the video shows him NOT acting in any kind of self-defensive manner and he is being the aggressor. You don't have a legal right to attack anyone simply because they hit you. However you do have a right to defend yourself which this guy clearly was not doing and had all the opportunity in the world to walk out of the BTS and call police if he was assaulted and NOT continue to break BTS rules and not follow the directions of security officers at the station and force his way up the stairs to the trains.

• Like 1

Thousands - millions go through BTS turnstyles without getting smacked by the guards.

Why did this man become so unlucky?

Come on!!!

Why didn't those crazy baton wielding guards attack any of the other passengers while this "prince charming" was clowning about.

The video shows an intolerable man who thinks he is above societal rules. That's what I see.

I also find it funny that some of the people think its normal to feel angry and enraged after being clubbed in the head by a security guard. I, personally, would believe that the guard is trying to get my attention. Getting angry would be the last thing on my mind because it typically doesn't turn out well. I guess some people are just brought up differently.

Edited by Head Snake

If he was hit without doing anything wrong, he is not an asshol_e.

If he was hit having been confused about the rules, due too language/communication/no clear warnin signs etc. problems, he is not an asshol_e.

If he understood the rules but didn't obey them immediately when challenged, on the grounds that they are ridiculous, or unreliably implemented, then he is a little assholish, but I would still take his side.

If he was aggressive, boorish, or drunk from the start, he is an asshol_e, yes; however, the guard is still at fault for smacking him over the head, he is unprofessionally trained, and maybe if Thailand wants to be seen as a safe tourist destination, this isn't the best demonstration.

The guy- innocent until proven guilty, or he confesses to his state of mind.

The guard- almost certainly at fault and potentially up on attempted murder in other countries (don't start with that Florida thing, just because a developed country can be wrong doesn't mean it's okay for a developing country to be wrong as well).

Nisa JUST CHILL!!!

You've made your opinions known on this topic. Falang broke rules and he got consequences. I get it. All your posts are variations on the same theme. Saying the same thing over and over again isn't adding much to the debate.

Making little comments to the effect that someone is an idiot because they don't share your viewpoint is also not helpful.

While I see some of your points are valid, and I can agree with you to some extent, I also think other people have also made valid points contrary to your own. Alot of the people you are butting head with I have seen their posts for years and believe that they are the more rational and intelligent TV members.

The fact remains that, unless you were there and witnessed the entire event, you don't know what happened any more than the rest of us, and your opinion is not any more "anointed" than anyone else's. Some of us, myself included, would like to defer making any judgments until more information is received. Probably in a week BTS will release the CCTV video...that is unless that CCTV shows something that they don't want shown in which case they might just keep it to themselves.

• Like 1