Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Max Markson can seriously go f*** himself... The guys the biggest muppet and clown in town when it comes to agents... Clearly after a sound bite on this one and thank f*** this c*** is not a sanctioned player agent!

Kostya Tszyu is his only decent horse - is Kostya even in the country anymore? I thought he went back to Russia/Ukraine? F*** look at Bosnich another f***en muppet who f***ed his career up his arm... Alan Jones, yes, Australia's only formula one world champ and a legend but isn't really doing too much these days.

Australia's answer to Jordan or Beckham - errrr... <deleted>? I'll hazard a guess that either Bogout (NBA) or Webber (F1) are earning a lot more than Buddy will ever earn!

tongue.png

Maybe I missed something...I thought the article was demonstrating the good business and economic sense of moving Buddy to Sydney.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on mr BM your still up in the clouds, and lets face it did you really need Frankin? no I don't think so, sure he is "the player" he didn't play much of a part in the GF win and the Saints kicked on after Locket went north so id be worried that there are no player backlash wai.gif

As for marketing...only in the southern states, its all getting to be a yawn, no way is he a Beckham, I mean lets get real who follows AFL out side of Vic SA WA?

The guy is easily the best player in the AFL he can do everything, realistically he wont play for 10 ys he is 27 now maybe 6 if your lucky, hes at his peak now its become dam obvious he wants to live in Sydney and wants to play in a good team, shut the door, don't think money is an issue with him he already has earned a fortune, the fact his first few years salary is low speaks volumes, they guy will pick it up in other areas including under the table.coffee1.gif

Come on mr BM your still up in the clouds, and lets face it did you really need Frankin? no I don't think so, sure he is "the player" he didn't play much of a part in the GF win and the Saints kicked on after Locket went north so id be worried that there are no player backlash wai.gif

As for marketing...only in the southern states, its all getting to be a yawn, no way is he a Beckham, I mean lets get real who follows AFL out side of Vic SA WA?

The guy is easily the best player in the AFL he can do everything, realistically he wont play for 10 ys he is 27 now maybe 6 if your lucky, hes at his peak now its become dam obvious he wants to live in Sydney and wants to play in a good team, shut the door, don't think money is an issue with him he already has earned a fortune, the fact his first few years salary is low speaks volumes, they guy will pick it up in other areas including under the table.coffee1.gif

You forgot Tassie and the N.T who have produced some absolute stars, the Baldock, Hudson, Buckley, Long, the Rioli's and White. The list is extensive and the Northern Territory has more people playing the game per capita than any other state. N.SW and Qld have also produced more than their share of AFL champions like the Danihers, Carey, Longmire, Crawford, Kelly and Kirk etc etc etc. Qld well we have Riewoldt, Beams, Fisher, Tippet, Akermanis another extensive list.

To say that Footy only has a following in S.A W.A and Vic is just plain silly. I lived and worked in North Qld and it is huge up there as it is on the Gold Coast, NSW also has a big following. Yes Rugby may be the main game there but don't dismiss the AFL following. Then we have poor Tasmania where they live and breed AFL.

You won't convert footy supporters into that foreign game called soccer. The Mormons have more chance of recruiting Chopper Reed.

• Like 1

Having lived in the NT for over 30 years I can reiterate what Chooka has stated. Every town is AFL. Darwin does play the other codes but Aussie Rules does rule.I was a rugby league person when I went to Darwin but was converted. I still follow League but the Swans are number one. The Tiwi Islands have produced some great AFL stars.

Edited by ripstanley

Easily? I think Garry Ablett might have claims to this.

Although I can't see how Mike Sheahan left Buddy out

of the top 50.

• Like 1

Nit picking are we? You should know what I mean, AFL is a regional game, Franklins elevation to Beckham status is unlikely, when he went on loan or moved clubs it was world news, don't think Franklins move was reported in the New York Times, or in London or in Berlin, but we here in AU were fully briefed with Beckhams moves.

It sh**s me when I hear people put soccer down, no reason it cant prosper and grow along side AFL , the yanks have 3 major sports that overlap, and I'm tipping soccer will eventually be huge here, news papers are getting on board more each season, free to air Friday nights starting this season, the fact the socceroos play international as well as champions from the Aleague.

I'm no fan of bring in big name players at the end of there career, but hey it's been working so who am I or anyone else to criticise.

Said it before AFL needs to do something about making more winners they soon will be facing strong growth from soccer for sponsorship $ and let's face it, if you were going to spend half a million on sponsor ship where would you put your money? On the hawks who play in tassie 4 times a year and once or twice in each capital city to Melbourne Victory, who play every capital city twice plus NZ, and more often than not in Asian champions league?

Our game won't die but let's get real about where it sits in the world, Doubt many in the US or GB or France ever have heard of Lance F , Gary A or Paul R.

West Coast star Luke Shuey attracts plenty of interest from Victorian-based clubs

WEST Coast midfielder Luke Shuey has attracted the interest of several Melbourne-based clubs who have not yet given up trying lure him back to his home state as early as next year.

The talented Shuey, 23, has a year to run on his current contract and is believed to be warming to a possible return to Victoria.

The Eagles would be extremely reluctant to lose someone of Shuey’s quality, but have been approached by several clubs trying to strike a deal to send the former Oakleigh Chargers star back home.

It is understood Collingwood is one of the clubs very keen to secure Shuey, and he would add significantly to the Magpies’ midfield in the absence of Dale Thomas, who is almost certain to join Carlton this week.

Melbourne has also been suggested as a possible suitor, given the Demons hold draft pick options that might be attractive to the Eagles.

Read Here

Anyone see Tasmania getting their own AFL team in future?

I hope so Bookman they deserve it with the contribution they have made and continue to make to the game. Personally I think they should have got a team well before the GWS experiment. The Northern Territory is different even tho they also have produced a large number of quality players. Population and climate would play a huge role. N.T population of around 230K is spread over an enormous area, the greatest concentration in Darwin and only around 75K (Geelong has 175) The N.T 2013/2014 footy season has just kicked off as the weather is better for the game. (I watch the live streams)

Nit picking are we? You should know what I mean, AFL is a regional game, Franklins elevation to Beckham status is unlikely, when he went on loan or moved clubs it was world news, don't think Franklins move was reported in the New York Times, or in London or in Berlin, but we here in AU were fully briefed with Beckhams moves.

It sh**s me when I hear people put soccer down, no reason it cant prosper and grow along side AFL , the yanks have 3 major sports that overlap, and I'm tipping soccer will eventually be huge here, news papers are getting on board more each season, free to air Friday nights starting this season, the fact the socceroos play international as well as champions from the Aleague.

I'm no fan of bring in big name players at the end of there career, but hey it's been working so who am I or anyone else to criticise.

Said it before AFL needs to do something about making more winners they soon will be facing strong growth from soccer for sponsorship $ and let's face it, if you were going to spend half a million on sponsor ship where would you put your money? On the hawks who play in tassie 4 times a year and once or twice in each capital city to Melbourne Victory, who play every capital city twice plus NZ, and more often than not in Asian champions league?

Our game won't die but let's get real about where it sits in the world, Doubt many in the US or GB or France ever have heard of Lance F , Gary A or Paul R.

Soccer has a long haul in front of it to be #1 or #2 football code in Australia. It currently sits 4th out of the codes. This is despite it having its season at a different time than the 3 other codes in Australia.

I don't mind soccer at all. I prefer it over Rugby and League. Problem is in Australia, the A league is like a 2nd or or even 3rd division competition when compared to major comps overseas. This will always be Australia's problem. Attracting good quality players and keeping them here. It is fine to have marque names playing, but these names are generally in the twilight of their careers. Nearly all the younger players starting their career in the A league are looking to play overseas where they get better money and prestige. In Soccer, Australia is competing in a globalised market for playing stock and we are simply too small a soccer market to hold on to and attract big name footballers.

Having said that, I do see growth in popularity for soccer in OZ. League and Union both have issues with off field dramas and in Union's case, it is boring to watch. Lots of parents don't want their kids playing the game (for a variety of reasons) so those two codes will suffer.

West Coast star Luke Shuey attracts plenty of interest from Victorian-based clubs

WEST Coast midfielder Luke Shuey has attracted the interest of several Melbourne-based clubs who have not yet given up trying lure him back to his home state as early as next year.

The talented Shuey, 23, has a year to run on his current contract and is believed to be warming to a possible return to Victoria.

The Eagles would be extremely reluctant to lose someone of Shuey’s quality, but have been approached by several clubs trying to strike a deal to send the former Oakleigh Chargers star back home.

It is understood Collingwood is one of the clubs very keen to secure Shuey, and he would add significantly to the Magpies’ midfield in the absence of Dale Thomas, who is almost certain to join Carlton this week.

Melbourne has also been suggested as a possible suitor, given the Demons hold draft pick options that might be attractive to the Eagles.

Read Here

Thanks for that BookMan. I nearly spat my Coco Pops out after reading it this morning.

I'm a little bit surprised but also realize the lure from home for a lot of players.

I remember Shuey writing an article a few years ago basically saying he had fallen in love

the WCE footy club. Especially like they way they managed his young sisters death in 2008

and his long term injuries.

Basically said he's here as long as they want me. But things change I guess. He would be

in the top 5 players the Eages couldn't affor to lose I'd imagine.

Read Here

Thanks for that BookMan. I nearly spat my Coco Pops out after reading it this morning.

I'm a little bit surprised but also realize the lure from home for a lot of players.

I remember Shuey writing an article a few years ago basically saying he had fallen in love

the WCE footy club. Especially like they way they managed his young sisters death in 2008

and his long term injuries.

Basically said he's here as long as they want me. But things change I guess. He would be

in the top 5 players the Eages couldn't affor to lose I'd imagine.

No way they would want to lose him

That is Shuey and also Darling linked to Melbourne.

Saints lock in five-year NZ deal

Jennifer Phelan October 5, 2013 10:35 PM

AUSTRALIAN Rules will be showcased on Anzac Day in Wellington for the next five years after St Kilda sealed a deal that locks the club into the fixture until 2018.

It is yet to be confirmed who will play against the Saints in the yearly fixture.
It is believed there are logistical challenges with the opposing club being from Victoria, given the number of flights between Melbourne and Wellington.
It is expected the opposing club will be from the east coast, leaving the Swans, Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast in the main frame.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-05/saints-lock-in-nz-deal

• Like 1

Rumour has it that the SWANS have approached St Kilda (in need of backs) and afford up Nick Smith and two other players in exchange for pick 3 in the draft.

Really?

Nick Smith is pretty good down back, not sure why they would want to give him up. The other players? Andrejs Everitt perhaps? Sydney and St Kilda have a history of player trading.

Maybe Sydney could use pick #3 and give it Collingwood and get heath Shaw in return?

Edited by BookMan

AUSTRALIAN Rules will be showcased on Anzac Day in Wellington for the next five years after St Kilda sealed a deal that locks the club into the fixture until 2018.

It is yet to be confirmed who will play against the Saints in the yearly fixture.
It is believed there are logistical challenges with the opposing club being from Victoria, given the number of flights between Melbourne and Wellington.
It is expected the opposing club will be from the east coast, leaving the Swans, Greater Western Sydney, the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast in the main frame.

What are your thoughts on this Chooka? Are the saints giving up a home ground advantage for no gain? Good decision?

Rumour has it that the SWANS have approached St Kilda (in need of backs) and afford up Nick Smith and two other players in exchange for pick 3 in the draft.

Really?

Nick Smith is pretty good down back, not sure why they would want to give him up. The other players? Andrejs Everitt perhaps? Sydney and St Kilda have a history of player trading.

Maybe Sydney could use pick #3 and give it Collingwood and get heath Shaw in return?

Smith is a quality player and would fit in well at the saints but it's a quick fix and not looking to the future. The saints need to select a player that can give around 200 games. Isn't Smith closer to 30 than 20 and would probably only give 3 or 4 years.

What are your thoughts on this Chooka? Are the saints giving up a home ground advantage for no gain? Good decision?

I don't think Melbourne based clubs have a home ground advantage any more, apart from Geelong who train and play on their own ground. The Melbourne clubs share two grounds and pay for the right to play on them. They train on local suburban ovals. The only thing is Wellingtons oval is small and restricts players. There is no money in it for any club. I am sort of split on it and would love to see the game televised in Asia after the Collingwood / Essendon game.

Really?

Smith is a quality player and would fit in well at the saints but it's a quick fix and not looking to the future. The saints need to select a player that can give around 200 games. Isn't Smith closer to 30 than 20 and would probably only give 3 or 4 years.

He is only 25 chooka....played 98 games for Sydney. Had a good year this year

Really?

He is only 25 chooka....played 98 games for Sydney. Had a good year this year

Fair enough and very tempting as he is a proven back man. The Saints still need to rebuild for the long term and should look to the draft.

Former Geelong and North Melbourne AFL player Cameron Thurley is in a critical condition with head injuries after falling down stairs at a Hobart bar in the early hours of Saturday.

Thurley, who now captains Tasmanian State League side Clarence, had surgery to remove fluid from his brain on Sunday, local media reported.

The 31-year-old was celebrating after the club's best-and-fairest awards on Friday.

CCTV footage shows he fell down a flight of stairs when leaving Hobart's Observatory Bar alone.

Thurley played seven games for Geelong in 2005 and five for the Kangaroos in 2006.

Really?

Hmmm... I never really gave too much thought to that... Smith eh... Never did take to him... Sounds like it will be similar to the Schneider plus Dempster deal from a few years back... Never rated Dempster, but Schneider leaving grinded on my gears for years... I can see Everitt being used as trade bait to seal the deal.. Might fit in well down at the Saints... The kid certainly can kick a sherrin a bloody long way!

Traded to either the Dees or Saints in return for their first round picks and then on traded to the Pies in return for Shaw. I can live with that.

GWS still harping on about the Buddy deal... Their CEO has another whinge claiming the deal is "in many ways ridiculous"... Ok Dave pull your head out of your arse for a second, it was probably not only a few years ago you would have been pushing the shit out of this deal to go through as the head of the NSW/ACT AFL, but now your the CEO of GWS it's a f***ing whingefest? It's "in many ways ridiculous" because 1. you can't get over it and 2. Buddy chose Sydney, not the other way 'round...

Really?

Hmmm... I never really gave too much thought to that... Smith eh... Never did take to him... Sounds like it will be similar to the Schneider plus Dempster deal from a few years back... Never rated Dempster, but Schneider leaving grinded on my gears for years... I can see Everitt being used as trade bait to seal the deal.. Might fit in well down at the Saints... The kid certainly can kick a sherrin a bloody long way!

Traded to either the Dees or Saints in return for their first round picks and then on traded to the Pies in return for Shaw. I can live with that.

GWS still harping on about the Buddy deal... Their CEO has another whinge claiming the deal is "in many ways ridiculous"... Ok Dave pull your head out of your arse for a second, it was probably not only a few years ago you would have been pushing the shit out of this deal to go through as the head of the NSW/ACT AFL, but now your the CEO of GWS it's a f***ing whingefest? It's "in many ways ridiculous" because 1. you can't get over it and 2. Buddy chose Sydney, not the other way 'round...

Yeah, I didn't like losing Schneider either. It makes sense to trade Smith and another if they can parlay that into getting Shaw. Sydney needs another experienced head down back now Mattner has gone. Having said that, Smith had a good year and I'd be okay with keeping him.

Getting Smith and Everitt would be quite a good deal for St Kilda.

Buddy seal still not signed off. Could be the start of more ten years deals and why not? Seems to advantage the players. I still believe part of the reason for the deal is to nullify GWS's appeal in the Sydney market place

Really?

I bet Lockett and Hall didn't grind your gears when it was in reversesmile.png

I get what you're saying there chooka, however, both those trades were under different circumstances. Schneider/Dempster went to St Kilda via our mate Lyons :P

Can't remember what we gave up for Lockett and Hall - Hall I'm not sure we gave away much and given the circumstances at which he was coming in under, a little different to Schneider/Dempster.

Found this about Pluggers trade.... "Sydney was again involved in a three way trade, but unlike the 'Williams deal', the 'Lockett deal' was of their own making. Sydney gained Tony Lockett, St Kilda gained Robert Neill. Hawthorn sent Joshua Kitchen and Glen Nugent to St Kilda and received Simon Minton-Connell from Sydney in return. A host of draft picks balanced up the deal."

I get what you're saying there chooka, however, both those trades were under different circumstances. Schneider/Dempster went to St Kilda via our mate Lyons tongue.png

Can't remember what we gave up for Lockett and Hall - Hall I'm not sure we gave away much and given the circumstances at which he was coming in under, a little different to Schneider/Dempster.

Found this about Pluggers trade.... "Sydney was again involved in a three way trade, but unlike the 'Williams deal', the 'Lockett deal' was of their own making. Sydney gained Tony Lockett, St Kilda gained Robert Neill. Hawthorn sent Joshua Kitchen and Glen Nugent to St Kilda and received Simon Minton-Connell from Sydney in return. A host of draft picks balanced up the deal."

Kitchen and Nugent never played a game for the saints, it was kind of like getting used toilet paperbiggrin.png Robert (Scratcher) Niell was a handy player for the saints.

Just heard that Collingwood want Kieran Jack as 1 component for the Swans getting Shaw.

I get what you're saying there chooka, however, both those trades were under different circumstances. Schneider/Dempster went to St Kilda via our mate Lyons tongue.png

Kitchen and Nugent never played a game for the saints, it was kind of like getting used toilet paperbiggrin.png Robert (Scratcher) Niell was a handy player for the saints.

Just heard that Collingwood want Kieran Jack as 1 component for the Swans getting Shaw.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Oh dear... Collingwood playing hard ball now...

Muppets...

Hawks put Brad Sewell on the trade table.

Dees put feelers out for Bomber Myers, hands off was the response, no takers so far for pic 2 in ND.

Lions will trade Jared Polec to a Sth Aussie team.

Crows Mackay, Henderson and Mckernan could be looking for new homes as Crows try and get in contention for ND.

All a bit of a yawn today some tango and cha cha going on, seems anything past the first round in the National Draft is not at all worthy of interest, silly thoughts indeed, wasn't that long ago WC Eagles picked up a few beauty's around pick 70, not all 1st round picks are hmmm shall we say worthy.