Bring 5Kgbp And Change At Superrich Or Send By Bank Transfer?

I do this quite often.

My UK bank send GBP and charges £13 - on arrival in Thailand Kasikorn charges B500 - so all told approx £23/B1,100

Bringing cash cost nothing.

Exchange rate - UK bank to Kasikorn 48.7 Superrich (£50 notes) 49.1 so an extra B2,000

Total benefit from bringing cash over B3,000

Of course, the risk involved has a unquantifiable "cost".

A coupled of things to bear in mind;

1) make sure you have withdrawl proof from UK bank for UK Customs - they have cash sniffer dogs in UK airports and over (I think £3k) will ask for evidence it;s yours.

2) Make sure you go to the proper Superrich opposite Central World - the ones in the BTS are fakes with much lower XR.

My UK bank send GBP and charges £13 - on arrival in Thailand Kasikorn charges B500 - so all told approx £23/B1,100

My bank now charges £25 for the transfer. Lloyds TSB Int.

Makes even more sense to bring cash over.

The new Superich office on Silom Road (near Narathiwat intersection, not Sala Daeng) seems to offer best rates.

i always use super rich, The green one not the less-decent orange ones.

this way i can change up a few grand at a time.

monday i got 48.85 while most places were offering 46-47

Today its up to 49.15 so im off to do another few grand.

Not only do the banks charge a fee , they also give less than fair rates.

The larger denomination bills get a better rate also.

At times i have made a decent profit from NOT using banks. Other times a slight but still useful profit.

The cash sniffer dogs i had to deal with were actually dutch customs.

I had 13000gbp and within about 10 minutes they gave me a declaration form to sign and that was it,

Apparently my copy of the form was to prevent any other officials demanding a % . But that never happened anyway.

gd luck

Edited by edgarfriendly

I recommend superrich. Best rates I can find in Thailand.

Have to admit, it is a strange feeling walking around with Euro 5,000 or even 10,000 but it feels even stranger walking back with Baht 200,000 to 400,00...

I do this quite often.

Bringing cash cost nothing.

Exchange rate - UK bank to Kasikorn 48.7 Superrich (£50 notes) 49.1 so an extra B2,000

Total benefit from bringing cash over B3,000

Of course, the risk involved has a unquantifiable "cost".

A coupled of things to bear in mind;

1) make sure you have withdrawl proof from UK bank for UK Customs - they have cash sniffer dogs in UK airports and over (I think £3k) will ask for evidence it;s yours.

2) Make sure you go to the proper Superrich opposite Central World - the ones in the BTS are fakes with much lower XR.

Customs and Excise can ask for proof of origin if over £1000 if they want to.

I have found that HiFX rates are not as good as normal bank transfer - anyone else got any experience?

Yes the one time I used them for a large sum I was able to lock in a rate. The issue with TT is that until the £ or $ or whatever hit the Thai bank you can never be certain what the rate is going to be. Some banks will take longer than others to make the transfer and excgange rates are of course continualy moving.

However I generally agree that their rate is unlikely to beat a true TT rate compared like for like.

So the green super rich is the best? Why?

From the websites , there is no difference in rates between the oranje and the green Super rich.(headoffice)

The green one in the soi of Rachedamri , like visible in google streetview?

Because on Rachedamri opp WTC , I don't see one.

I'll be exchanging my Thb for EUR , to bring back home.

How can you be sure you don't get fake notes?

It is a lot to check like 400K THB to about 100 x 100 EUR notes....