Songkran Poll

WinnieTheKhwai

Songkran opinions per region --> See additional notes in the first post.  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some notes on filling in the poll:

* I realize there is more to Songkran than throwing water and drinking alcohol, but the focus of the poll is on the most (in)famous aspect, which is the water throwing and general party.

* The first set of answers have 'celebrate in' instead of 'live in'. That's intentional, that's so people who live for example in in Pattaya and dislike Songkran there but love to travel to North East for it have an option to vote for.

* As with all polls by region, some provinces can be a bit fuzzy as to what region they're in. For example, in the Central region I would personally include Kanchanaburi and the Upper South (like Ratchaburi, or Prachuap even), but feel free to pick the region you feel you are in. It's not the end of the world if you're in Phitsanulok and fill in you're in the North, while your neighbor next door picks Central. It's a poll, not exact science. I'll get over it.

* If you feel I did not provide an option for you then I'm sorry; I only get 20 options and few polls are perfect. Please post your opinion below in this topic.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm flying in to Chiang Mai for Songkran......I wouldn't miss it, an outstanding party however!!!

I do understand how people could get annoyed with it, some farangs start too early and that's an irritation, and some people do stupid things like running into restaurants and soaking people.

That being said though.............happy days!!

If this is going to be the Songkran thread Winnie, I think we should include a rudimentary guide as to what not to do at Songkran..........for example.

1. Do not soak ladies walking with young children.

2. Do not soak elderly people.

3. Do not soak monks.

Am I right with that?......any more??................

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

I'm flying in to Chiang Mai for Songkran......I wouldn't miss it, an outstanding party however!!!

I do understand how people could get annoyed with it, some farangs start too early and that's an irritation, and some people do stupid things like running into restaurants and soaking people.

If this is going to be the Songkran thread Winnie, I think we should include a rudimentary guide as to what not to do at Songkran..........for example.

3. Do not soak monks.

Think your right. Oh and anyone travelling at high speed on their scooters.

3. Do not soak monks.

There's going to be a few people reading the thread and flying in to Thailand for Songkran........I saw some young Brits doing all three last year and it was awkward.

3. Do not soak monks.

There's going to be a few people reading the thread and flying in to Thailand for Songkran........I saw some young Brits doing all three last year and it was awkward.

Common sense really isn't it.

3. Do not soak monks.

Maybe I should post the 'Parenting Guide To Songkran' here too? Most of it applies throughout Thailand. And not just for kids either..

Ok, The Parent's Guide to Songkran. I made some minor changes to cover not just Chiang Mai, though to be honest my only non-Chiang Mai experience is Pattaya; not the best place in the world for Songkran to put it mildly.

----

Parent's Guide to Songkran

The Thai New Year festivities will soon be upon us once again, which plenty partying, watery fun and general merriment to be had for all.

Kids especially enjoy the water festival, but for responsible parents there are definitely several do's and don'ts about the festival when it comes to kids joining in.

With 18 Songkrans under my belt and as a parent of two young children, I would like to make some recommendations for a fun and safe Songkran celebration. For seasoned residents and seasoned parents much of the below may be obvious, but I hope it will help some who are new to Songkran or new to having kids.

Locations

Many locations to 'play water' are not safe or appropriate for young kids.

• Avoid locations close to fast moving or heavy traffic. It's too easy to stray on to the road and be too close to traffic. Don't play water along highways in and out of town.

• In Chiang Mai the city moat is a prime location for the festivities, and for large sections of the moat the traffic moves slow enough. Keep in mind that the moat itself is VERY deep. If kids aren't excellent swimmers, they should not be on the side where the water is. As there are many people running and playing there, and as the pavement will get slippery from the water, it becomes too easy to fall into the moat. And even if they are excellent swimmers, you still don't want them to panic; keep in mind that in most places it's difficult to get out again, they would need help getting back on shore.

• Don't pick a location near rounchy bars, especially not where there are many adult Western (or Thai) men drinking and partying. Kids can get run into, and drinking sometimes leads to trouble.

With the above in mind, if you play along the moat at all, then for example the stretch North of Thapae Gate on the side of the Amora hotel is suitable: traffic moves slowly there approaching the Thapae Gate bottle neck, and it's (just) far enough away from the Farang bar area. Other cities in Thailand have 'walking only' areas, but these can get very massive, and it may not be the best idea to have children walking around in a large, partying crowd. So I would pick a smaller soi, but make sure there is enough space on the side, and good visibility of any traffic through the soi.

Picking a location in front of a restaurant or hotel/guesthouse is good, often these places have some people celebrating in front already, and will provide clean tap water to use from a hose leading outside. And it's nice to be able to order some food and drink, use the washroom, etc.

Precautions

• Tell kids where they are allowed to go, and where they cannot go. They should never get on to the road or soi itself. If they drop a bucket or water gun there by accident, they should call you or another adult to retrieve it.

• No running! It can get VERY slippery, and it's easy to fall and get hurt. Open wounds can easily get infected, so any cut = Game Over.

• Try to keep your mouth shut. wink.png Even though you try to pick a place that provides tap water, it's very likely to also get hit with water straight from the moat.

• Use Sunblock! It would be better to be in a shaded place, but when out in the sun it is VERY easy to get severe sun burns. Use a water-proof sun block and re-apply as needed. Don't forget any spots: ears, feet, etc. Using long sleeves and long pants or skirts is also a good idea.

• After-party health check: Bathe kids thoroughly afterwards and put on clean, dry clothes. Be aware of common ailments such as irritated eyes, ear infections, upset stomach, sunburn, cuts and scratches.

Recommended Rules

• No spraying on things that shouldn't get wet. (Point these out, if any)

• NO SPRAYING AT MOTORCYCLES unless they've stopped and are clearly participiating. This goes for adults too, but no harm in teaching this early. It's too easy for motorbike riders to get into a fall or accident when they try to avoid getting wet. Even just pretending/threatening to spray water distracts a rider's attention from traffic. So just don't. Yes, other people do it. But we don't.

• NO SPRAYING AT people who clearly indicate they don't want to partake, or who have items with them that shoudln't get wet. (including food sellers, etc.) Yes, other people do it. But we don't.

Others

Kids can get cold quickly when wet. Make sure you can either get back home quickly, or that you carry dry clothes and a towel so kids can get dry, rest abit and have some food/drink in a nearby restaurant, hotel or guesthouse.

Riding in a the back of a pick-up truck is dangerous. If kids are old enough to join a truck, they should NEVER stand up while in the vehicle. They should sit down all the time. You don't want kids falling out of trucks. Only have them in the back while driving very slowly through a party area. Before going home on faster roads, get the kids to change into dry clothes and sit inside the cabin. (Pull into a hotel parking lot and change clothes)

This should go without saying, but when driving kids in and out of town, make sure the driver doesn't drink and drives responsibly. After dark it's best not to be on (or near) the road at all, as there are many drunk drivers.

Finally

If this is your first Songkran, go test the waters (heh) yourself first before bringing the whole family. No matter what you've heard, you can't possibly be prepared for complete mayem and mass party all around. This will also allow you to pick a good spot to take the kids.

Know that in addition to the crazy party, Songkran is also a religious and cultural festival, with many events organized around town, and with many people visiting temples. It's well worth catching some of these; all of these activities are kids-safe; they mostly happen in the mornings before the masses start the party.

Decide if you want to take your kid into town at all. An alternative Songkran party would be to get together with other parents and kids in a garden setting somewhere and let the kids go at it amongst themselves. Safe, clean and much less stressful for the parents. If some or all of the above has raised concern: GOOD! This is in no way a recommendation to let kids participate in Songkran in any way; make your own informed decision if, where and how to celebrate Songkran.

!!! Happy New Year -- Sawatdee Pee Mai !!!

Perfect Winnie......thanks very much. wai.gif

3. Do not soak monks.

Maybe I should post the 'Parenting Guide To Songkran' here too? Most of it applies throughout Thailand. And not just for kids either..

No need, but you could make a 'Guide To Songkran For Idiot Farang Tourists' and post it here. smile.png

I generally get a kick out of songkran, but it does seem that every year someone tries to ruin it for me.

Last year my wife and I went out for some groceries we took back roads to be more safe but on the way back we encountered a solitary Thai women with a bucket. We clearly had lots of grocery bags and we clearly waved her off and told her no. But she dumped her bucket on us any how and filled a few of our grocery bags in the process.

It was so strange she showed no emotion and just robotically soaked us and went back to her chair to sit by herself. Wierd

3. Do not soak monks.

Common sense really isn't it.

I think he mentioned the Brits.................. tongue.png

• Like 1

3. Do not soak monks.

Agree 100% about not throwing at riders.

How about taking the chucks of Ice out of the bucket before unloading in the victims face.

3. Do not soak monks.

No you are wrong

1. Drink as much Lao Kao or Sangsom as possible

2. Soak everyone, best is a bucket full of water for it

3. Drive with your motorbike, or with the pickup full of people as fast as possible from one place to the other.

4. If you are a fat ugly lady man, dance without tshirt and bra on top of a pickup so the others can vomit on each other.

5. take the water from the most ugly Klong. Here the local government supports that by placing pumps in the Klong and give the water for the people.

6. For the very evil, add some random chemicals....I think there were some cases last year.

7. With the water guns, try to target the eyes of person.

No need, but you could make a 'Guide To Songkran For Idiot Farang Tourists' and post it here. smile.png

LOL!! That's actually a very good idea. It would largely be the same as for kids but include some obvious extras:

• Don't drink too much alcohol.

• As adults are a lot stronger, the common-sense thing of not hitting motorbike riders who are riding at speed and aren't clearly participating goes double.

• Appropriate force! In a big melee with other big, burly men, by all means go for it. But seriously, find some common sense when it comes to women, children, the elderly or people with goods that shouldn't get wet. Take extra care not to hit people in their faces. I recommend that in addition to a proper water gun, bucket or PVC pipe gun you also carry a tiny little kids water pistol (with clean water) or small silver colored cup. Then when encountering kids, etc. you have a way of celebrating and wishing them a happy new year without bowling them over. THis may be the most important point in this list

• A big block of ice in your water supply is a good thing to have, but be careful when it's almost melted or breaking up. Don't chuck buckets that have lumps of ice. When ice melts and breaks up, throw out the remaining part(s).

• For women: don't turn it into a wet T-shirt contest. Wearing something thick & cotton is better. For men: no touching women inappropriately (unless appropriate. wink.png )

• Sun down == GO HOME! The water party should end not too long after sun-down. In Chiang Mai it mostly does, in other places it often does not. So when in a civilized place, go home at sun-down, take a shower and if you're still up for it you can have an after-party (not involving water) at night. (It's been years since I last managed going out again the same night, though. wink.png )

Be a good thing to translate into Thai...just saying

• Like 1

Looking at the poll results it's nice to see that the forum is mostly full of grumpy party poopers staying at home. ;) (must be the age!)

I really enjoy Songkran and I love the community spirit and fun you can have with strangers in the streets. However I do realise that it does get a little too much at times and then you obviously get the odd one who try and ruin it for everyone else with the lack of common sense. However if you're with a good group of friends, you can have a real good laugh. It's a nice holiday! :)

• Like 1