Weird Message Received Supposedly From Warden(Us Gov'T Alerts For Expats)

orchidlady

Did anyone else receive this message below? Just waking up, I saw the headline and today's date only and skipped to read the first paragraph only. Almost panicking as I have to take BTS to get to work later today, I then saw date of April two years ago.

Should this be reported to US Consulate as it was sent out "as a warden message"?

Very sick April fool's joke if that was what was intended.

Headline was "Explosions at Silom/Sala Daeng listed as April 1, 2012"

I have included a the first paragraph of the message below (the rest went into the information about events two years ago...)

April 22, 2010

This warden message alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand that explosions have occurred in the Silom/Sala Daeng area at the Sala Daeng BTS Skytrain station causing a number of injuries, including at least one fatality. The BTS system is closed and security forces are working to secure the scene. The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S. citizens should avoid travel to and lodging in this area and the areas in and around all demonstrations, if possible. If U.S. citizens must travel to these areas, they should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to their personal security. U.S. Embassy personnel who live around this area have been advised to remain at home for the time being. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance at all times. Immediately report to law enforcement or security personnel any unattended packages or bags or suspicious objects in public areas.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (aka UDD or ?red-shirts?) continues to demonstrate in central Bangkok.

last paragraphs:

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or through the State Department's travel registration website. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at the Department of State?s Bureau of Consular Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at[email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

Note to Thais who think they are being funny - we've seen enough of your misspelled T-shirts to know when we are being punked! "Warden"! Really?

It isn't a spelling error. The US send out "Warden messages". Do a search on it.

Yea, I got it to....must be a glitch in their system....a glitch they should fix.

I would hope the Embassy personnel are on distribution for these warden releases also....so hopefully they know already.

Edited by Pib

Note to Thais who think they are being funny - we've seen enough of your misspelled T-shirts to know when we are being punked! "Warden"! Really?

clap2.gif Good one. I noticed it also. clap2.gif Dead give a way. giggle.gif

Except that messages that are sent from the embassy ARE sent from the "Warden".

I got it too, and just forwarded it to the Embassy, with a request that they investigate it, and report back.

Anyone who thinks this is a joke, April Fool's or not, is a <deleted>' moron. Spoofing the Department of State of the USA is potentially a very destructive and malicious act.

The time stamp I received on mine was 4:42AM. Whether an error on their part or some tasteless prank from elsewhere you'd think they would have issued some sort of statement already.

The Chiang Mai consulate sent out a test message this morning with a time stamp of 4:31. No warnings, simply a statement that it was a test and no action is requirred. Perhaps a genuine mistake when testing the system?

I recieved this also and tried to send it back to them and it bounced back at both addresses listed in the email. I wondered if they had tried to send something about the recentbombings from yesterday and sent this out instead. Thanks for posting so I know I was not the only one. Have a great night.

Off topic but hence there are a lot of Us people reading this a question:

Why keep people their shoes on their feet when relaxing on top of their bed in Us movies / tv series ?

It's a government code. If you look closely one shoe will have a different color shoe lace. You must figure out the rest at your own peril. Good luck and be safe.