Buy A New Computer?

blossombkk

Hi,

My computer is less than 2 yrs old HP G62. I now have to replace the battery for 4,290tb.

Does it worth the investment for an "old" computer? considering there will be other repairs in the next year or 2.

If it doesn't worth it, then am I up to buying a new computer every 2 years?

Thanks for any opinion.

My first thought was, that's a lot of money for a 20 baht motherboard battery - then I realized we're talking laptop and it's the laptop battery that needs replacement ;)

2 years is maybe a little short, but yes, it's not that unusual you'd need to replace it.

Replacement batteries are awfully expensive in Thailand, if you have the patience buy from Hong Kong through Ebay. I just ordered a new 9 cell battery for my netbook this way for $40 USD incl. shipping. But be prepared for a long wait, and possibly having't to try more than once (if it doesn't turn up within a month, contact the seller for a refund and try again - it's backed by Paypal).

Whether it's worth it, is up to you. Consider you won't get much for a second hand laptop with a broken battery, and it ought to be usable for more than 2 years. But then again, people are different. My 5 (or more?) year old Acer 5050 still happily chugs along for me (with Win-7) covering my rare need for a laptop, but others feel they have to replace theirs every year.

My first thought was, that's a lot of money for a 20 baht motherboard battery - then I realized we're talking laptop and it's the laptop battery that needs replacement wink.png

2 years is maybe a little short, but yes, it's not that unusual you'd need to replace it.

Replacement batteries are awfully expensive in Thailand, if you have the patience buy from Hong Kong through Ebay. I just ordered a new 9 cell battery for my netbook this way for $40 USD incl. shipping. But be prepared for a long wait, and possibly having't to try more than once (if it doesn't turn up within a month, contact the seller for a refund and try again - it's backed by Paypal).

Whether it's worth it, is up to you. Consider you won't get much for a second hand laptop with a broken battery, and it ought to be usable for more than 2 years. But then again, people are different. My 5 (or more?) year old Acer 5050 still happily chugs along for me (with Win-7) covering my rare need for a laptop, but others feel they have to replace theirs every year.

Got my new laptop battery from this Hong Kong dealer. Works great. Cheap prices. Fast shipping.

http://www.77sell.net/product_info.php?cPath=2_10&products_id=670

• Like 1

Heck, my two Toshiba laptops are approaching 5 years in age...I did need to replace the keyboard on one a the 4+ year point since the "s" key took more pressure than I liked...but it was really still just a nice-to-do keyboard change....bought the keyboard off Ebay for $10 and changed it myself. But I have replaced the battery packs in both at least once...they got to the point of not holding a charge for only around 30 minutes...and one battery pack only 6 months old just died quickly...kinda like how a car battery sometimes seems to die overnight...the battery pack failed in such a way I couldn't even turn-on the laptop when plugged into the wall outlet unless I removed the battery pack.

Replacement laptop battery packs in Thailand do seem to be expensive, as are quality individual rechargeable batteries in general. I've ordered my replacement battery packs off Ebay. I would only recommend you order one that seesm to convince you the batteries used are quality batteries. I ordered one battery pack and it didn't even last 6 months...I went cheap on that one. But I've been able to buy quality battery packs for my Toshiba's for around $30/B1000.

I've never changed the individual batteries within the battery packs even though I've opened the battery packs, could unsolder/remove the old batteries and solder back in new batteries. But I've never been able to find he required individual lithium-ion batteries cheap enough in-Thailand or on Ebay...it was always much cheaper just to buy a whole new battery pack which also comes with a new charging board/circuit inside the battery pack. But I have read a few posts where people took their laptop battery pack to a shop, like some of the shops in Pantip, and had the batteries replaced at a good price....don't know the quality of batteries installed...but they seemed to have got a good deal.

One thing I would recommend that a person try to run down their battery to almost zero approx once a month and then recharge...this exercise helps to extend the life of even lithium ion battery packs used for laptops. I know, I know, they say lithium ion batteries are not suppose to have any memory effect but I'm not so sure. My Toshiba use lithium-ion battery packs and both manuals recommend a monthly discharge...and I've seen other laptop manuals which says there is no need to periodically discharge. All I've know is I have got good life out of my battery packs in letting them run down almost to zero every few months....I never seem to get around to doing it monthly...but approx every two months I do seem to get it done. But with above being said, just follow what battery charging procedure recommend by your laptop manual...like in the military--just follow the technical order/manual.

Summary: don't buy a new laptop just because the battery pack died; buy a new battery pack.

If its an HP, id sell it. Some may have different experiences, but every single one of my friends who have owned an HP has had to get it repaired sometime during its life.

• Like 1

Maybe also going to the dark places in Panthip and someone can fit in new cells for low money.

Keeping your laptop alive for another 2 years.

Amorn in Fortune used to offer a re-celling service, not been there for a while but worth a look.

My laptops get a bit of a hammering being lugged around Asia and generally abused. Usually time for a new one after 3 years or so, by then the battery is on its last legs and screen hinges become loose.

Old units go to family who don't need battery life and are happy to have a computer.

>then am I up to buying a new computer every 2 years?

I think only you can answer that?

If it was me I'd get a new battery. Cheaper than a new PC.

Yes I thought that too, but the poster is clearly not a first language user of English and I reckon would not know the vernacular 'up to' (meaning 'capable of' or 'prepared to suffer the problems of'. So I think the meaning was 'am I looking at having to replace every 2 years?'

Yes I thought that too, but the poster is clearly not a first language user of English and I reckon would not know the vernacular 'up to' (meaning 'capable of' or 'prepared to suffer the problems of'. So I think the meaning was 'am I looking at having to replace every 2 years?'

Well, I hope it's all right not to be "a first language user of English", or isn't it? there are some other languages around the world in use!

Well, I hope it's all right not to be "a first language user of English", or isn't it? there are some other languages around the world in use!

Quite allright with me Blossom. Some of my best friends ... er hang on .. my daughters are not first language users of English and one won't speak a word of it!

Quite allright with me Blossom. Some of my best friends ... er hang on .. my daughters are not first language users of English and one won't speak a word of it!

I reckon that!!!