Earth Hour - Farang Tight Wad Style

Phuket electrician

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about turning the ignition off when the car stops and you pops into the shops, this applies mainly to Thais I am afraid, but think of the savings and not just in Thailand.

Global Warming is just another excuse to raise even more taxes so that beaurcrats go another good day out. Nail them onto the beach at low tide is what I say!

If you really want to stop Global warming the answer is simple, stop all trade and travel. Dont suppose that business and Govt revenues like that simple truth do you?

• Like 2

Earth hour the biggest joke ive ever heard, oh sorry i forgot man made global warming and god, in that order

Not the point is it - there is ignorance everwhere - even an idiot is open to constructive dialogue.

But it is because really if u want to save the planet ( and I think us not being here at all would be so much better) Then you'd better sell your car/bike, stop flying, get your electric disconnected and go back to living in a cave, and yes Im serious. oh or hang on we could turn the lights off for an hour??? what do you think the power stations will cut output for 1 hour??? Does it mean we get an extra hour before the -planet dies later?

Re cycle -plastic, humph we shouldnt be producing it to start with, your'e in Thailand wrap it in a banana leaf.

All pointless Thais couldnt care less and 99% of the Asian developing countries ditto along with the U.S etc etc

Farang tight wad tip of the day - I live on the east coast of Phuket along the rhythmic Sakdadit Rd that leads the ‘sam rap nak tong tee aow’s to Phuket Aquarium. Next door, and up the hill in a courtesy Tuk Tuk is the infamous Sri Panwa, last time I went there was four or five years ago and the other half and I enjoyed a Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes tonic, G&T, for a mere 350 baht a pop, we had 3 or 4. If you choose to stay there tonight you are in luck, you will receive a 50% discount at, Latestays.com (she designed the site for AWD - now WotIf.com) yours for 22,400. That's quite a saving. - Stay at home!

On a more related note, Buy your greens, beef, pork, chicken and all that other stuff at supercheap on the Thepkasatri Road - it stinks, it's as hot as hell, it is a nightmare to park, a complete maze to the novice and can be very annoying to experience the Thai / Chinese shopping culture - if you have survived all that and alight they will insist to check every item you purchased just in case they have made a mistake and overcharged you. Thank your lucky stars when you make it back to you pad laden with a boot full of supercheap <deleted> that will last you a week for a thousand baht.

Don't use Air con, turn on a fan or two and open the window around 10.00 am and 3.30 pm, suss it out yourself depending on where you live, mosquitoes will get you outside of these hours. Take regular exercise at the park, on the road or in the privicy of your own gaff, forget the air con gym - swim for your life at the beach, wrestle with girls and find out what you are capable of until your dying breath. Adele sang beautifully - that regrets and mistakes are memories made – next time I’ll be my own saviour. J

Earth hour the biggest joke ive ever heard, oh sorry i forgot man made global warming and god, in that order

Not the point is it - there is ignorance everwhere - even an idiot is open to constructive dialogue.

What the f are you on about!

But it is because really if u want to save the planet ( and I think us not being here at all would be so much better) Then you'd better sell your car/bike, stop flying, get your electric disconnected and go back to living in a cave, and yes Im serious. oh or hang on we could turn the lights off for an hour??? what do you think the power stations will cut output for 1 hour??? Does it mean we get an extra hour before the -planet dies later?

Re cycle -plastic, humph we shouldnt be producing it to start with, your'e in Thailand wrap it in a banana leaf.

All pointless Thais couldnt care less and 99% of the Asian developing countries ditto along with the U.S etc etc

OP. You use a KETTLE??

What a waste of electric. Fill your mug with water, pop it into the microwave for abt 1 minute and you have water hot enough for coffee / tea. (based on 1KW microwave) smile.png

I did as you say about 20 yrs ago - picked the mug up and it took all the sking off my hand. It is a gas oven Mr observant - think outside of the box, this is the 21st century - Nuclear power is dead in Europe, coal fired is under attack from all side, the cleanest and most abundant energy source is natural gas - and it is quite evident you have quite a lot of it at your end. :-)

Wrap water in a banana leaf. I run a English language course 'Reading & listening' you might be interested. Edited by Phuket electrician

OP. You use a KETTLE??

What a waste of electric. Fill your mug with water, pop it into the microwave for abt 1 minute and you have water hot enough for coffee / tea. (based on 1KW microwave) smile.png

I did as you say about 20 yrs ago - picked the mug up and it took all the sking off my hand. It is a gas oven Mr observant - think outside of the box, this is the 21st century - Nuclear power is dead in Europe, coal fired is under attack from all side, the cleanest and most abundant energy source is natural gas - and it is quite evident you have quite a lot of it at your end. :-)

How can it be a waste of water if you only heat what you require? Oh dear - read and then reread before you make a tit of yourself, 10 out of 10 for stupidity though well done you, have another go.

OP. You use a KETTLE??

Maybe he is using a gas burner.

So here goes, recycle plastic 1.5L bottles, you know sprite, coke etc fill them with water from a 25l ltr white bottle 10 baht if you’re lucky or 12 baht if they see you coming. Keep these recycled bottles in the fridge or the freezer. The fridge has to do less work once they are cooled and you can use the frozen ones for the customary cooler in the boot of the car, put them back in the freezer when your done.

Do not do this with PET or PETE if you are concerned for your safety. Especially freezing or heating them releases carcinogens.

We all appreciate Earth Hour is a symbolic gesture - that is not the point of the post. Which is, clearly a forum in which to share constructive ideas and quirks with a little humour for good measure. If you choose to contribute good for you.

A useless (=symbolic) gesture against a non existing problem, which makes everyone feel good while ignoring the real problems.

• Like 1

I must admit I never thought about the 1.5 litre bottles of frozen water.

It would be a good idea when I do a monthly bulk shop as I travel 56 km each way.

Thanks for the tip.

He is correct. A full freezer works less hard than an empty one. I always keep my deep freezer as full as I can. You can do a little experiment to prove it. Take 3 coolers and fill One full of crushed ice, another full of block ice and the third just half full of ice. The one half full of ice will melt 3 times as fast as the one with the block ice and twice as fast as the crushed ice. The crushed ice will be long gone before the block ice has melted.

So many weird replies to the microwave for heating water. I've used that method for years. I want what you guys are smoking..... might help my day too tongue.png

I believe that you will find that a microwave uses more energy to boil the same amount of water than an electric kettle. Of course, by microwaving it in the cup, you are boiling exactly the amount you need and not 2 or 3 times as much, so that is good.

Earth hour,bah,humbug ,let the lycra wearing beardy left wing tree huggers switch off their lights(the lights are on but nobodys home there anyway) and the feel gooders can drive their priouses ,meanwhile i switch on an extra light ,turn the air con up a bit while using the internet and watching tv at the same time (with the radio on in the background for good measure).

i vote to build more nuclear power stations and forget the windmills as they and all the other "green measures are a waste of time )

like another plastic bag vicar?

Edited by thenervoussurgeon
  • Like 2

Earth hour,bah,humbug ,let the lycra wearing beardy left wing tree huggers switch off their lights(the lights are on but nobodys home there anyway) and the feel gooders can drive their priouses ,meanwhile i switch on an extra light ,turn the air con up a bit while using the internet and watching tv at the same time (with the radio on in the background for good measure).

i vote to build more nuclear power stations and forget the windmills as they and all the other "green measures are a waste of time )

Is it bio degradeable with Waitrose on it?
  • Like 1

The best windmill I know is the one at Wainfleet in Lincs, home of the Batemans Brewery, Batemans Ales are the answer to GLOBAL WARMING!!! Why did we not see it before!

Wind Farms are only good for the manufacturers and "Green Twerps" ( after all they are indeed wind farms themselves!)

• Like 1

I don't know what a priouses is but I do drive a Toyota Prius. 4.6 litres per 100 kms, that's why :) Oh, I also have another car but that's less economical at 11.2 litres per 100 km.