Chevrolet Aveo Vs Proton Gen2

alyx

Hey

I cannot find any sources about these two

They are in the same price bracket , the Proton seems to meet medium range safety regulations whereas the Chevrolet is better equipped

Anyone has driven any of these models

I am not interested in other models ( turned down whether for price or aesthetic)

Thanks

I owned a Proton Saga back home. Anyway here are some info, hope that help... Proton Gen2 ...

Looks modern and reasonably stylish from the front and side. Interior looks dated and is available in an unattractive shade of beige

Automatic gearbox is unresponsive, sluggish and feels archaic

Fuel consumption is high even when driving on the motorway

All fit and trim feels cheap, flimsy and poorly assembled.Chevy Aveo, many problems... check here.. http://goo.gl/y0Xpz

Edited by samken

Not sure if it's true, but I heard stories about Protons investing top dollar into foreign design, but the cars still have antiquated dynamics.

Since the near collapse of GM and Ford it seems their cars have improved out of site. If it were out of these two. I'd go Chevy.

I owned a Proton Saga back home. Anyway here are some info, hope that help... Proton Gen2 ...

Looks modern and reasonably stylish from the front and side. Interior looks dated and is available in an unattractive shade of beige

Automatic gearbox is unresponsive, sluggish and feels archaic

Fuel consumption is high even when driving on the motorway

All fit and trim feels cheap, flimsy and poorly assembled.Chevy Aveo, many problems... check here.. http://goo.gl/y0Xpz

Thanks

As a matter of fact it seems there are quite a few problems but they keep referring to the 2007 model

and some have bought a second hand which I won't do

It also seems that Proton is aesthetically a good buy but outdated

I can't help thinking that the Chevrolet comes with a three year warranty....

Not sure if it's true, but I heard stories about Protons investing top dollar into foreign design, but the cars still have antiquated dynamics.

Since the near collapse of GM and Ford it seems their cars have improved out of site. If it were out of these two. I'd go Chevy.

It seems to be the right choice but still hesitant

Hi, I haven't drive the Proton Gen2 but I own a Honda City and my wife has a Chevrolet Aveo - it's the LUX 1.4 model, she bought it in 2009 when Chevy were offering interest-free financing through Tisco. Chevrolet is due to replace the Aveo with the Sonic later this year - it's a completely new model and the salesmen won't even mention the Aveo in the same sentence - it has never been popular, it's a re-badged Daewoo with barely passable build-quality and quite poor fuel consumption of 14km/l. While I can't be complimentary about the styling, the Aveo has been ultra-reliable, it's spacious and my wife has been happy with the Chevrolet after-sales service. Chevy addressed these problems with a 1.6 model and later, a CNG version - neither of which I have driven. You can tell the age of the technology in the Aveo when you park near or next-to a Nissan Almera - both cars are similarly sized but the Almera (which I have now test-driven) is rated at 20km/l and has CVT transmission. Whilst I can't give you a Gen2 vs Aveo low-down, the Almera compares favorably against the ageing Aveo.

Hey

Thanks for the insiight

As a matter of fact I drove an Aveo a couple of days ago (test drive)

The car was ok but as you said , the technology is somehow lacking

Actually I was attracted to the Cruze, which is 250k more expensive but comfort and design as a plus ( of course it is the 1.7 litres)

I will test it on Saturday

in my opinion, when buying a car one should always keep in mind resale value and demand for it, as well as spare parts.

Chevy an established company with a rep and while it does not hold the value as well as say toyota in thailand, it surely is in higher demand then a proton.

I think you may find proton is going to be a headache to sell and value of it would be almost nothing(just to sell it)

Also parts wise i think chevy is a better choice.

However look wise i think proton looks better.

Drive wise, i think both are about the same

Hey

Thanks for the insiight

Actually I was attracted to the Cruze, which is 250k more expensive but comfort and design as a plus ( of course it is the 1.7 litres)

That's interesting, which model did you drive? Even the base model 1.4 Aveo is 500k with no airbags, no ABS - the Nissan Almera 1.2 E and ES models are in that price range - there is just no comparison tech-wise. When I test-drove the Almera the ride-quality, handling, power and responsiveness were all comparable or exceeded the Aveo; Nissan's technology is more modern, which is why Chevrolet are replacing the Aveo with the Sonic later this year.

As I wrote, my wife bought the 1.4 LUX, around 700k and extremely nicely equipped; it's got great climate control, high-quality leather seats and it's just really the fit and feel of the plastic panelling on the dash and doors which could be better. The base-model Cruze 1.6 starts at around 760k and trust me, once you test drive it you won't want to get back into an Aveo. The Cruze has really impressive build-quality, the amount of soundproofing seals and the weight just of the doors make the Aveo look like a tin-box. The two cars are incomparable; the Cruze gives an all-round more comfortable, quieter and relaxing experience and the same fuel economy.

enjoy the test-drive!

Hey

Thanks for the insiight

That's interesting, which model did you drive? Even the base model 1.4 Aveo is 500k with no airbags, no ABS - the Nissan Almera 1.2 E and ES models are in that price range - there is just no comparison tech-wise. When I test-drove the Almera the ride-quality, handling, power and responsiveness were all comparable or exceeded the Aveo; Nissan's technology is more modern, which is why Chevrolet are replacing the Aveo with the Sonic later this year.

As I wrote, my wife bought the 1.4 LUX, around 700k and extremely nicely equipped; it's got great climate control, high-quality leather seats and it's just really the fit and feel of the plastic panelling on the dash and doors which could be better. The base-model Cruze 1.6 starts at around 760k and trust me, once you test drive it you won't want to get back into an Aveo. The Cruze has really impressive build-quality, the amount of soundproofing seals and the weight just of the doors make the Aveo look like a tin-box. The two cars are incomparable; the Cruze gives an all-round more comfortable, quieter and relaxing experience and the same fuel economy.

enjoy the test-drive!

I thought the OP said no other choices but those two listed...well,I think also that Almera is the best choice for today... IMOwink.png

Feel sure I read somewhere that the all new Chevy Aveo will be on sale later this year here.... ? May 2012 ?

Did not go but on Motor-show pictures shows the new 5 door model called the Sonic

WRITTEN BY

HANS CHEONG

, PUBLISHED ON

APRIL 2, 2012

Chevrolet Sales Thailand (Chevrolet) today officially unveiled the all-new Chevrolet Sonic at the recent Bangkok Motor Show. Chevrolet says the Sonic is GM's all-new, global sub-compact car is designed to fulfill the needs of young graduates, upcoming executives and those looking for a car that fulfills their urban lifestyle.

Edit: From pictures looks like the All new Avero is the saloon and 5 dr hatch is called Sonic

Edited by ignis

Yes, Chevrolet Thailand hasn't released pricing or specifications yet, but the replacement for the Aveo - the Sonic - has already been released in the US where all models come with 1.8L, ten standard airbags and optional 6-speed auto; 1.4 turbocharged engines are available which is why the Sonic has been getting passable reviews. I'm skeptical how many of these features will make it into the Thai market - no way will Chevy sell ten air-bags as standard, turbo models are unlikely and for all I know they might release 1.5L models to comply with the tax rebate rules this year. You can compare the US - Thai versions of the Cruze to get an idea of how the Sonic release will likely pan out.

The Aveo can't be much good if it's similar in price to a Proton!

Think the Aveo was a re-badge Daewoo ............... The all new one is a Global version

same as Global version Cruze or the old Daewoo re-badge Optra

I drove the 1.6 (or .7 not sure) Cruze and it is nothing to compare with the aveo

The problem is that I am not used to automatic gear and therefore no pleasure as I found it a bit slow

However I like the design and the interior is quite appealing to me and I am closing the deal on that car. Note that I am going for the rack model with no airbags....and a couple of option less which I do not need such as the rain detector , the cruising speed putting the price at 735000 + 5000 for the colour ( which I find odd as I thought that white was more expensive) and a further 15000 for the leather ( which I read here that could be discussed down) which still puts the price 200,000 and 400,000 cheaper than the two other Cruze models

Oh...I am going for the manual gear

Glad to see you're not going to waste your money on either the Aveo or Gen2 as per the title of this thread! Just a word of caution though ....

The equivalent Chevrolet vehicles cost about the same as their Toyota and Honda counterparts while depreciating significantly faster. Manual transmission isn't a selling point on used sedans either.

As you are now looking at the Cruze 1.6 M/T base, I'd suggest you test-drive the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 CNG M/T - 756,000baht - a proven reliable engine, good brand resale value and huge saving potential on fuel (if CNG filling stations are near where you live/travel).

Thanks again

I don't really like the design

I should point out that this car will only be used for medium range trips , like bakk hula him or pattaya as I do not intend to use it for inner city ballads

I do understand the selling point, as well as the consumption are an issue but they arrive behind the design, this is why I dropped the Aveo on the first place and was more interested in the Proton

seeing this is thailand and that about 30 people die on the roads per day. Dont save cash on fuel consumption. Go for the better crash rating. That's basically all that matters here. It's not like you can speed when the fast lane is filled with 70kph snails and the normal lane is filled with people going in reverse.

I dont like my car all that much outside of its looks but if i get into an accident i have a very good chance of surviving while the guy in the toyota/honda/gen2/aveo will be dead or paralyzed.

Edited by Hostile17

seeing this is thailand and that about 30 people die on the roads per day. Dont save cash on fuel consumption. Go for the better crash rating. That's basically all that matters here. It's not like you can speed when the fast lane is filled with 70kph snails and the normal lane is filled with people going in reverse.

I dont like my car all that much outside of its looks but if i get into an accident i have a very good chance of surviving while the guy in the toyota/honda/gen2/aveo will be dead or paralyzed.

Oh yeah? And what are you driving then?

• Like 1

Thanks again

I don't really like the design

I should point out that this car will only be used for medium range trips , like bakk hula him or pattaya as I do not intend to use it for inner city ballads

I do understand the selling point, as well as the consumption are an issue but they arrive behind the design, this is why I dropped the Aveo on the first place and was more interested in the Proton

Yeah, forget the CNG Altis then; you are probably already aware that CNG availability is limited outside of Bangkok

IF i could not afford a decent car, i would just buy the oldest but strongest piece of steel i could find on one2car

safety first. Those new cheap cars have terrible safeties and should only be driven at 40kph max if you want to survive a minor crash.

Those chevy trucks from the 60's are probably strong enough to run through a Fortuner with no damage at 80kph

IF i could not afford a decent car, i would just buy the oldest but strongest piece of steel i could find on one2car

safety first. Those new cheap cars have terrible safeties and should only be driven at 40kph max if you want to survive a minor crash.

Those chevy trucks from the 60's are probably strong enough to run through a Fortuner with no damage at 80kph

Are you a politician? Refusing to answer a very simple question, but one you'd probably like to avoid.

• Like 1

Don't think so, rides of that era had no seat belts or crumple zones. Truck servived but you didn't. ermm.gif

From what I can see, 427,000 baht gets a manual Nissan Almera, with stander-ed Airbags even for base model, +ABS. +EBD. MP3 and I-pod, how do Chevy and other make still keep supplying new base models with NO safety or security + charge more ?

I've had a Proton Gen2 1.6litre for about 3 1/2 years (put about 50K on it).

And the only complaint I have is the noises! It seems to randomly develop sneaks and creaks, and every time I bring it in to service I've got to complain about a new noise, and then they have to tighten something up.

Given the choice again between the Aveo and the Gen 2 i'd still get the Gen 2 because:

• I still think the Gen 2 is a nice looking car each time i look at it
  • In order to get a cool looking Aveo you need to spend like 750,000 on the decked out sport package one, the basic ones look so blah...
  • Gen 2 has a hatch back, and back seats go completely flat, so you can fit ALOT of stuff in there if you need to.
  • I love the interior on my Gen 2 (black leather with red stitching)

Aveo does have a CNG option though, which is interesting.

Personally if i had about 600K to spend again, I wouldn't buy either a Gen 2 or Aveo. I'd stick 150K back in my pocket and get a Nissan March.

From what I can see, 427,000 baht gets a manual Nissan Almera, with stander-ed Airbags even for base model, +ABS. +EBD. MP3 and I-pod, how do Chevy and other make still keep supplying new base models with NO safety or security + charge more ?

I don't know the sales figures but they must sell very few. It's amazing how poorly the base Aveo compares with the new Almera for the reasons you outline. The new Aveo, the Sonic, should address some of these discrepancies when it's released later this year.

Personally if i had about 600K to spend again, I wouldn't buy either a Gen 2 or Aveo. I'd stick 150K back in my pocket and get a Nissan March.

I've experience of the Aveo but not the Gen 2 - I agree with you; the Gen 2 has better styling, but either way a March or I would say Almera is the way to go.