Ducati Monster 795

• 1 month later...

I piicked up my new Ducati Monster 795 on Saturday and I'm lovin it so far. I'll post some pics later in the week. I'll briefly review the pros and cons as I see them. I'm comparing to a 2009 ER6n as it was my last bike.

Pros; Looks good and sounds fantastic without adding the 70K THB Termi exhausts. It feels a lot quicker than the ER6n and you notice the speed less. It feels more agile and I have more confidence on it. The brakes also feel sharper than the Kawasaki. The bike feels that it has a lot of character with the burbling engine and the vibrations when you rev it.

Cons; It wouldn't be comfortable for a long ride because of the seating position and the vibrations. Its not practical for a pillion because the twin exhauts make the back very hot. You have to turn the engine off for long duration traffic lights as it generates lots of heat. There is no fuel gauge

My verdict is that the M795 makes a great weekend toy which is exactly what I wanted.

I've had mine over three months now and I think that I like it better now than when I first bought it. Plenty of power and it is still small enough to split traffic and get in the front at all of the Pattaya stoplights :).

I spoke with someone that has a relationship with the company in Thailand. June was speculated. Nothing firm.

I will guess a 795 Hyper will have the double swing-arm, different wheels w/ smaller tires & perhaps a narrower handlebar / mirror setup for this market? Priced a bit under the Monster?

I would really like to see a retro Ducati 250 scrambler for town use.

... or a remake of the old 350 Single from the '70s. As for me, the Motard represents the sweetspot for Bangkok dueling & doing runs to the twisty bits. Dirtbike height gives ya great traffic visibility, comfy ergos compared to a repli-racer, ok for light off-pavement shenanigans, good for ripping up the twisty asphalt. LoS is such a small place, gas tank size would be no problem.

I chatted with Ducati Tonglor's manager at the 1199 Panigale launch party, placing my vote that the 'tard should be the next Ducati model assembled in LoS... he just smiled. Asked what was coming next from Chonburi, more smiles & an apology. Guy wasn't giving an inch, but I had already heard from an insider that the Diavel was up next for local production. :[ Not my cup of espresso.

I picked up a Hyper early last year and love it. I'd like to get a second bike, sports model like the 848 EVO Course looks really good. If they assemble one here and drop the price some 30% like the M795 I'd walk down there and make a deposit today.

Also tried to ask about what is coming out next but all smiles...

I am 186 tall, fat! is the M795 to small??? Do I have to buy the z1000???

Quick answer yes!! Z1000 is by far a superior bike to the 795 in fact a push bike is a far superior bike to the 795 lol

coffee1.gif i realize you're just trolling with off-topic, unsubstantiated adjectives... hey, mehbe you could start a different thread about how cool it is that THB 600,000 Litrebike Kawasakis are 'far superior' to BHT 400,000 800cc non-performance-oriented Ducs... and everyone who cares could join in.

The closest priced Kawi to the 795 Monster would be:

A. BHT 399k Monster 795 at 87 HP driving 167kg

B. BHT 285k Versys 650 at around 70 HP or so, driving 209kg,

-but, bin its low-spec brakes & suspension and add comps like Ducati's great Brembo brakes, good monoshock & upside-down forks...

hmm... now the price pretty much equals the Monster's!

Il Mostro kicks Kawi butt in lightness, speed, handling, sexiness, and 9 out of 10 Thai non-farm girls surveyed found it Far Superior.tongue.png

Z1000 blows all away!!! but it's all about choice!! you like the 795 which if not for the power would be suited to a child it's that small!! Z has great brakes and is the best looking bike I have ever owned!! everything I post is my opinion. farm girls know how to ride but I doubt that is a motorbike but rather the family buffalo!!

Z1000, best looking? It looks like the headlight has slipped! What other uglies have you owned?

Before you ask, I don't have a bike.

I have owned a Monster 696 for more than two years and suits me perfectly. I use it for weekend trips on twisty mountain roads, in urban traffic and occasionally also for longer trips (4-5 days) and even for some racetrack fun. I have to say, the only time when you really notice the small engine size is in long straights on track. On curvy roads, there is no er6-n or z750 that can keep up with my pace, and there is no big-ass 1000 cc that is even remotely as fun to use. For me, the perfect fit :-) not to mention the awesome sound of my Termgnoni exhausts without DB-killers!

The 795 should be just as fun!!!

I notice on the Thailand Ducati website that the Hyper 796 is only available by special order now.

I guess that means the smaller Hyper will be coming out of Thai factory soon.

Im not sure here but I was under the impression that they dont really have bikes in stock, all are brought in on order.

Hope they will have more models assembled here asap so we can pay normal prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there will be some good deals on second hand ones in the future.......The pattaya dealer is selling 25+ a month in low season......

All these are sold and they had 5 more on a truck they were unloading. A different color would be nice......only one month wait on a new order

20120706_131933.jpg20120706_131956.jpg20120706_132008.jpg

Edited by yankee99

You can customise the colours with the monster art kits which are 40K THB. I'm surprised the waiting list has shot down to 1 month. I had to wait 4 months and got mine 2 weeks ago. The second hand values will be very strong as rich Thais are crazy about them. It was the same with my Vespa 300 GTS its was dead easy to sell to a rich Thai. There is a Thai Ducati Monster forum and loads of these guys have spent a fortune customising them. I've added the bar raisers (17K) and the tail tidy (5K) GPS (22K plus 2K fitting. Next jobs will be the seat (10-15K ???), bikini fairing (20K), pillion grab rails (???), Ducati rain cover (???) and Termi exhausts (60K). The Ducati shop has some nice Dainese jackets as well. I want to pick up an Arai Chaser Ducati Corse helmet on my next trip to the UK.

I heard you can rent a Monster in Pattaya now.

I heard you can rent a Monster in Pattaya now.

You've always been able to rent one on Walking Street.

i think he is talking about the motorcycle lol. I have seen them on beach rd.
  • Like 1

I'm also curious to see how much these M795's will do once they show up on the second hand market.I'm afraid they are not going to drop a lot in price ( especialy when fitted with some expensive mods)

I'm thinking about buying a M795 in a year or 2, second hand or new but when a second hand one will be around 350k ( what i expect) i will go for a new one.

I doubt second hand M795's will be bought by rich Thais,one of the things i've learnt of this country and people, is that there's a lot of "showing off" and "look at me" attitude among Thais, when you're rich ( or poor) and Thai you buy new, period.When even "poor" people prefer to buy new and take on downpayments for 2 or 3 years on a fino, i can't see a rich ( or pretent to be rich) Thai guy getting a second hand ducati, he will loose face among his friends.

the so called "rich" thias wont buy a M795 anyway, i remebered that on the ducaticlub thailand there was a topic complaining that with the cheaper price everybody could afford one which doesnt make them special anymore, short words they were pissed. So the M795 is not a thing to show of anymore now you have to get something more expensive to play in the show off leagaue....

to be honest i wouldnt buy one as well due they get a little boring, nowadays on bikes shows there are dozen of them. Same same.......

Edited by Hili

Lovely bike, nice dog as well.

Those bars look a bit weird though, are they different bars or just the standard bars raised?

They are different bars and they are about 3 inches higher than standard. They are a Ducati official part, 17K fitted as it involves rewiring. No they aren't from a chopperlaugh.png that made me laugh. Its just that I prefer a more upright position.

You can customise the colours with the monster art kits which are 40K THB. I'm surprised the waiting list has shot down to 1 month. I had to wait 4 months and got mine 2 weeks ago. The second hand values will be very strong as rich Thais are crazy about them. It was the same with my Vespa 300 GTS its was dead easy to sell to a rich Thai. There is a Thai Ducati Monster forum and loads of these guys have spent a fortune customising them. I've added the bar raisers (17K) and the tail tidy (5K) GPS (22K plus 2K fitting. Next jobs will be the seat (10-15K ???), bikini fairing (20K), pillion grab rails (???), Ducati rain cover (???) and Termi exhausts (60K). The Ducati shop has some nice Dainese jackets as well. I want to pick up an Arai Chaser Ducati Corse helmet on my next trip to the UK.

Second hand values may be good only time will tell. The second hand value on accessories is not good. Most people like to customise to their taste.

Second hand values may be good only time will tell. The second hand value on accessories is not good. Most people like to customise to their taste.

Well it's more like the Thai middle class rather than rich Thais. I meet lots of them every day, they're not the super rich elite riding around in their Lambos, they're more like guys that can afford 400k but probably wouldn't spend 2M on a bike.

The bet of Ducati vs. other brands like Triumph and BMW is that this middle class is much larger than the super rich elite, and the sales numbers speak their own language. For every 10 people pissed off about the loss of exclusivity, you sell 100 bikes... good deal IMO. Also there's a lot of competition in the 1M+ bike market - for that price you can import pretty much any bike you want. For 400k, on the other hand, you get a Monstro or a Kawi. That's it.

I've seen excessive customizing on the Thai Versys club for sure... these guys don't mind.. ok they will complain about having to pay 60k baht for a set of SW-Motech luggage. But, they'll do it.

Used one here http://mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=724158

Picked up my M795 2 days ago in Pattaya..Rode it home 750 Km stopping at Nakhon Sawan for the night..Absolutely awesome bike..At only 168 KG its great through these winding mountain roads..Love that sound too..The bad thing is the seat..it slopes down so you end up with your balls squashed against the tank..And theres no grab rail [ 7000 baht extra ] for the pillion so when you brake hard she pushes you harder into the tank..Okay if your a eunich..But I'm not and it hurts...So tomorrow go see the stainless man for a rail and the upholsterer for a custom black and red leather seat...

I'm about 173 CM tall..Rode my first mini bike when i was 6 so gives me 43 years MC experience...This bike litteraly put a smile on my face when I was riding on the twisting turning roads through the jungle up here in the north..At first I was concerned about the 87 HP ..My CBR 1100 had 163HP..And 220 KG.. thats great in OZ where the roads are straight and girls are FAT..This Duke is the perfect bike for these coditions ...very nimble through the traffic...Absolutely awesome on these winding roads..pulls up quick too when a truck with a trailer decides to cross the road in front of you ..trust me I know...The Z1000 weighs in at 220 Kg ..May as well buy a Diavel ..203KG / 160 HP.....its all about power to weight...

I am just worried that I am 186... I know that I can build up the seat a bit more, but how much more is possible... I like the looks, but it is just a small bike- I am not overly worried about the engine, fast enough to beat my ER6F, so it is ok with speed, and the weight of the bike is only helping. I am just worried about the seat hight...

I wish there was a Ducati dealership here in town (NST)... One day,,, I have to have a look at it in real life. She is a beauty and at 200k less than a Z1000 it is tempting... My GF was not impressed with the Z1000 seat, to narrow...

Time will tell, christmas is a nice time to change...

My M795 just had its 1st service today (1000 km). The bill was 3520 Baht. It seems pricey compared to what I paid in the past with Kawasaki. It took less than one hour. Overall still happy with the bike and the Garmin GPS works a treat. My next job is to change the seat as the existing one is a bit painful for the meat 'n' 2 veg. I'll go for the Ducati seat.