Happy St. George'S Day

Maestro

Being 'English' does have it's advantages in international competitions, if England gets thrown out, you suddenly become British and support the Scots or the Welsh.

Normally tje Scots and Welsh are not there anyway

so you're not a Rugby fan in that case.

Never been to Rugby but that's where Bonnie Prince Charlie's army decided to go home. What might history have been if they had continued to panicking London or even Twickenham?

Derby, Ithink you'll find

from Wikipedia: "Having taken Carlisle, Charles's army progressed as far as Swarkestone Bridge in Derbyshire"

There's no point in dwelling on past glories, and time moves in one direction only. Sadly, I fear that without the English serfs to support us, the days when fellows like John Smith could throw their weight around on the world stage may well be behind us, if the devolution bill goes the way that our thrawn and parochial government wishes. I imagine the English will decare 30 November "Independence Day" and a National Holiday

SC

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree you about the title but is the English National Anthem none the less, it stirs the soul, it was my first school anthem in the 50's in Nottinghamshire, I had it my wedding ( that was a mistake- the weeding) and it is enjoyed at the Last Night of the Proms prior to the National Anthem ( of the UK ). It is the one, will always remind me of the best of the old place.

Since so many have talked about England's anthem but nobody uploaded his rendition of it, I give below a link to what I found on the web.

http://ezpiper.co.uk/jersulaem.mp3

• Like 1

I agree you about the title but is the English National Anthem none the less, it stirs the soul, it was my first school anthem in the 50's in Nottinghamshire, I had it my wedding ( that was a mistake- the weeding) and it is enjoyed at the Last Night of the Proms prior to the National Anthem ( of the UK ). It is the one, will always remind me of the best of the old place.

Since so many have talked about England's anthem but nobody uploaded his rendition of it, I give below a link to what I found on the web.

That always makes the hairs on my arms stand on end.

• Like 2

I think the only possible man that would suit many of the posters in this thread is Alf Garnett.

Who on earth is Alf Garnett, did he play for the Arsenal?

If he was going to play for anyone, it would be West Ham.

Correct, it would not have been Tottenham, remember the line about "the most bombed area of London" !

Oh what a load of <deleted>.

Happy St George's Day to all my fellow Englishmen.

I had a belter.

Ditto, four English men traveled down from the boonies to play a little golf, then onto the bright lights. Cracking run ashore, and now safely back with our sweethearts.

ph34r.png

Its powerful stuff and talks of a green and pleasant land that we would strive to make better, I am not sure that all who now live there share these ideals, I always will, but I will not be going back permanently, others seem to have taken control of "bow" of burning gold and the arrows of desire do not seem to the ones I had. So, the time of when it was at its zenith for me was probably the 60's and 70's, when I hear Jersualem these are the times I think of, it will always always bring a tear to eye.
  • Like 1

I have a similar reaction when England play Wales or Scotland in the 6 nations and are not given the courtesy of an English anthem; Furthermore I feel England should be given the opportunity to Morris Dance in responce to the All Blacks Hakasmile.png

That I would love to see - Morris Dancing is sooooo gay

You might then enjoy the 'Orange County Morris', in the excellent recent mockumentary, "A Life With Bells On" ! rolleyes.gif

Whereas it was indeed impressive, to see a Haka dubbed over a Morris-dance, in Tim Plender's documentary "The Way of the Morris", about the resurrection (in the hippy-era 1970s) of the Adderbury Village Morris Men, who had all gone off to fight for King and Country in the Great-War, but only one of whom ever came back.

Lest We Forget. wai.gif

shame on me, I have done Morris dancing and it is not for the faint of heart, I was always waiting for one guy in the group to have a heart attack.

I always thought Morris dancers were a bit, eeeer, ''not manly'', sorry can't think of a better wording. smile.png

shame on me, I have done Morris dancing and it is not for the faint of heart, I was always waiting for one guy in the group to have a heart attack.

I always thought Morris dancers were a bit, eeeer, ''not manly'', sorry can't think of a better wording. smile.png

Morris dancing (Traditional) is mainly men dancing with men.

Morris dancing (Traditional) is mainly men dancing with men.

huh.png

mm, this is an English problem, joking aside..only poofters like to dance.... I have danced free style Bourée with a man, in front of 200 people- this is a real contest of two cocks trying to impress the ladies. I didn't look in his eyes once (or even touch him) but boy did we know exactly what the other guy was doing. Morris dance is not about dancing with men, it is about showing off to the ladies, hence the showy costumes and handkerchief waving. I myself only ever did the sword dance stuff. Believe me, my divorce was caused by the fact that I was having one affair after the other during that period. I have been accused of a certain sexual orientation by guys eying up the birds from a table. I usually answered, ok, stay there with your nice manly friends, we'll see who pulls a bird at the end of the evening... and I was right.

mm, this is an English problem, joking aside..only poofters like to dance.... I have danced free style Bourée with a man, in front of 200 people- this is a real contest of two cocks trying to impress the ladies. I didn't look in his eyes once (or even touch him) but boy did we know exactly what the other guy was doing. Morris dance is not about dancing with men, it is about showing off to the ladies, hence the showy costumes and handkerchief waving. I myself only ever did the sword dance stuff. Believe me, my divorce was caused by the fact that I was having one affair after the other during that period. I have been accused of a certain sexual orientation by guys eying up the birds from a table. I usually answered, ok, stay there with your nice manly friends, we'll see who pulls a bird at the end of the evening... and I was right.

Only because you had a visible stiffy. laugh.png

• Like 1

Someone asked something along the lines of "Why is St. George the Patron Saint of England?". I decided to dig a little using Google. Read whatever you like into my findings.

George has,apparently, only been in his current job as Patron Saint since the Conquest of 1066. Before that time it was an Englishman, St. Edmund (as in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk) but the English were a conquered people at that point and the Normans wanted to remove as much "Englishness" as possible so in came good ol' George.

Remember George killing the dragon? A flag of the defeated King Harold was a white dragon on red. Maybe the portrayal of George killing the Dragon is symbolic of the Normans defeating the English????? If so, the Normans did a good job of embedding that in the English psyche, didn't they!!!! There are some who'd like St. Edmund to be reinstated as Patron Saint of England and the White Dragon to replace St. George's Cross as the English flag.

Edited by MartinL

My wife says you not cry, she understand s what is means to an Englishman.