Happy St. George'S Day

Maestro

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mystery is how St. George ever became patron saint of England.

He was probably a Moor and he certainly never set foot in England.

He's also the patron saint of Greece, Malta and Georgia to name a few.

Ghosh thanks for that KB, not a total surprise but who do you think should be the Patron Saint then? How about St Horatio?

Hmmmm.......difficult to say. My choice would beAlfred the Great. He saved England from becoming a part of Denmark. Trouble is, is that a saint has to be connected to the Christian religion and has preferably died in a horrible way for their beliefs.

Thomas More, perhaps?

"Alfred the Great. He saved England from becoming a part of Denmark"

Together with his brother Ethelred1 who also confronted the Danes.who had pillaged England for over 200 years.

Ghosh thanks for that KB, not a total surprise but who do you think should be the Patron Saint then? How about St Horatio?

Boris Johnson

• Like 1

I admire parts of it from afar, some of it has changed out of all recognition to what I remember. Times change and it was time for me to remember as it was and move to a new life in a new land.

Happy St George's Day to one and all.

Just a thought are we patriotic to celebrate this day or are we to far away?

PS No one tells me take down the White Ensign here.

Unless you are living in a commissioned ship or shore establishment of the Royal Navy you are not entitled to wear the White Ensign. A gunboat, if the UK has any left these days, is on its way.

I got my White Ensigns in Plymouth and you absoulutley right about the who or where you can fly it, I drape it over the balcony, or the wife does it sometimes. With only 21 surface ships available I some how dont expect to see one heading up the Chao Praya, even if they had one free there no money for the fuel!

Another interesting law that has never ben repeeled in that since Agincourt, all Englishmen are to take archery practice on a sunday morning. I seem to have got away with one as well!!

Well I hope you all had a good day yesterday and another today and long may that continue.

I was very proud to serve in the Royal Navy and it saddens me to see it become a shadow of its former self, but the memories never fade, but as successive governments have eroded our once great armed forces, they have also eroded all our great traditions and turned the country into a shell of it's former self.

Time for Singha, am thinking too much laugh.png

And I am very proud of the Royal Navy as well, they do a great job with such few resources, just 21 surface vessels, at the end of the 2nd world war, the Royal navy had over 150 vessels east of Suez alone, 21... very sad what successive goverments have done to the Navy, along with the RAF and the Army. I can remember seeing Carriers in the docks at Liverpool, Portland and Portsmouth, well we did rule the waves once, as you say memories will not fade, but time for beverages again.

Anyone know of the Deltic engine connection with the Navy?

Edited by exeter
  • Like 1

I paid a nostalgic visit to Portsmouth in the late 90's and could not believe how much had changed, what was the Deltic engine connection you talk about ?

The deltic was a triangular engine, 3 banks of 6, they were very powerful for their size, came out of Napiers ( eventually EE) they saw service with Fst patrol boats and in submarines. At another point of my life I came under the command of the Submarine Commander, Brian Hutchings, had some good chats about the units. Later they were installed in Deltic locomotives which ran along the East Coast Main line, 22 of them replaced 55 steam engines like the "Flying Scotsman" and "Mallard" They used 2 18/25B units per loco and transformed the timetable. An engine change could be done in an 8 hour shift, something un heard of at the time.

Of the 22 loco's 6 are still in working condition over 30 years sine withdrawal and interestingly many previously RN sailors ended up looking after the locomotives.

Hmmmm.......difficult to say. My choice would be Alfred the Great. He saved England from becoming a part of Denmark. Trouble is, is that a saint has to be connected to the Christian religion and has preferably died in a horrible way for their beliefs.

Thomas More, perhaps?

St. George is the Patron Saint and is remaining so, how or why he became it is irrelevant.

Thomas More? He was quick enough to put others to the rack and the rope so got all he deserved. Tyndale, Latimer, Ridley, or Cranmer would be more deserving but that is an academic point.

Is the annual celebration taking place in Pattaya? If so I wish you all every success, and to celebrants there and everywhere else have a good one.

it is a strange one, just as strange that St Patrick was an Englishman

Unlikely since Britannia as it was known at that time by its Roman rulers had no Angles from which the name England came. He was Brythonic or maybe pictish.

Anyway, as a Scot, I personally am happy that the English are now proud of their own flag and don't flaunt the union flag at football games. That used to piss me off.

• Like 2

Yes, happy St Georges Day.

It actually means little to me now that I reside in Thailand.

I do have fond memories of some very good celebrations back in the UK - but, I don't consider such celebrations to be part of my life anymore.

It seems you have been "Acculturated"

Oh My Buddha !

I sincerely hope not biggrin.png

A true expat, many forget what the word expatriot actually means...

Except it's expatriate, quite different but I agree

Yes, happy St Georges Day.

It actually means little to me now that I reside in Thailand.

I do have fond memories of some very good celebrations back in the UK - but, I don't consider such celebrations to be part of my life anymore.

It seems you have been "Acculturated"

A true expat, many forget what the word expatriot actually means...

Except it's expatriate, quite different but I agree

But I think Cardholder was saying he'd become an expatriot while expatriate.

I know what you mean about the English flying the Union flag.

Though perhaps that flag will soon be a thing of the past that we reminisce about fondly, like imperial measures, pound notes, conscription and rickets.

SC

Flying the union flag by English clubs was was OK in a way with me because I felt, however wrongly, that they they felt that British and English were synonyms and the entire island was English. It seems nowadays that they have grasped that they have a long, proud and separate history from before the Empire and I applaud that and also the fact that their club and national team supporters in all football codes have become aware of their national identity.

What I do find sad is that are two teams in the west of Scotland one of which flies the union flag which disguises the fact that they are Scottish and one of which flaunts the flag of another country; we left a benighted place when we came here.

Flying the union flag by English clubs was was OK in a way with me because I felt, however wrongly, that they they felt that British and English were synonyms and the entire island was English. It seems nowadays that they have grasped that they have a long, proud and separate history from before the Empire and I applaud that and also the fact that their club and national team supporters in all football codes have become aware of their national identity.

What I do find sad is that are two teams in the west of Scotland one of which flies the union flag which disguises the fact that they are Scottish and one of which flaunts the flag of another country; we left a benighted place when we came here.

I am delighted that English Cricket team ( which has had Welsh, Scots and Irish in it, not to mention the South Africans ) come out with "Jerusalem" before the start of play, it is the English National Anthem ( King GV thought it better than God save the King/Queen) So I await the football team to follow suit. I think it is right that all the nations have their own flag and their own Anthem.

Being 'English' does have it's advantages in international competitions, if England gets thrown out, you suddenly become British and support the Scots or the Welsh.

Edited by cooked

I am delighted that English Cricket team ( which has had Welsh, Scots and Irish in it, not to mention the South Africans ) come out with "Jerusalem" before the start of play, it is the English National Anthem ( King GV thought it better than God save the King/Queen) So I await the football team to follow suit. I think it is right that all the nations have their own flag and their own Anthem.

I too wish that you would find an anthem but not "Jerusalem" ; something with a more English title would surely be more appropriate. I will not be facetious and suggest "Blaydon Races" or "Ilkley Moor" but I am certain that there are many on here who might find something more appropriate. Wasn't there a vocal rendition of the Eastenders theme tune a long time ago?

it is a strange one, just as strange that St Patrick was an Englishman

Unlikely since Britannia as it was known at that time by its Roman rulers had no Angles from which the name England came. He was Brythonic or maybe pictish.

Anyway, as a Scot, I personally am happy that the English are now proud of their own flag and don't flaunt the union flag at football games. That used to piss me off.

I have a similar reaction when England play Wales or Scotland in the 6 nations and are not given the courtesy of an English anthem; Furthermore I feel England should be given the opportunity to Morris Dance in responce to the All Blacks Hakasmile.png

That I would love to see - Morris Dancing is sooooo gay

I too wish that you would find an anthem but not "Jerusalem" ; something with a more English title would surely be more appropriate. I will not be facetious and suggest "Blaydon Races" or "Ilkley Moor" but I am certain that there are many on here who might find something more appropriate. Wasn't there a vocal rendition of the Eastenders theme tune a long time ago?

I agree you about the title but is the English National Anthem none the less, it stirs the soul, it was my first school anthem in the 50's in Nottinghamshire, I had it my wedding ( that was a mistake- the weeding) and it is enjoyed at the Last Night of the Proms prior to the National Anthem ( of the UK ). It is the one, will always remind me of the best of the old place.

I have a similar reaction when England play Wales or Scotland in the 6 nations and are not given the courtesy of an English anthem; Furthermore I feel England should be given the opportunity to Morris Dance in responce to the All Blacks Hakasmile.png

That I would love to see - Morris Dancing is sooooo gay

Its lovely to see someone using 'gay' in its correct meaning, and not in lieu of the more correct and less ambiguous 'homosexual'.

SC

Being 'English' does have it's advantages in international competitions, if England gets thrown out, you suddenly become British and support the Scots or the Welsh.

Normally tje Scots and Welsh are not there anyway

so you're not a Rugby fan in that case.

It will be embarassing when we too have gone 20 years between qualifying for the Association Football world cup. Sadly, not so unlikely as it seemed in 1978...

In the last cricket world cup to which I paid any attention, we had the ignominy of losing to the Netherlands, if my recollections from the Dublin Arms can be relied upon. A couple of years later, I had the joy to follow our first ever world cup victory, over Fiji, in the 2008 rugby world cup. Our target next year must be to get to the quarter-finals, which will probably rest on a win over USA in Salford. (strictly speaking, near Salford, I think)

SC

Never been to Rugby but that's where Bonnie Prince Charlie's army decided to go home. What might history have been if they had continued to panicking London or even Twickenham?