Thai Education Ministry Asks China To Send In 10,000 Teachers

webfact

Education Ministry asks China to send in 10,000 teachers

BANGKOK, 23 April 2012 (NNT) – The Education Ministry has asked for cooperation from the Chinese government to send in 10,000 teachers to teach the Chinese language to Thai students, while, in reciprocity, Thai teachers will also be sent to China to teach the Thai language.

During Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s China visit, the Education Ministries from both countries also had a chance to discuss co-operation to improve both countries' education.

On this occasion, Ms Yingluck signed an MOU with China to support Chinese language learning in Thai education institutions.

Currently, around 800,000 Thai students are learning Chinese, but only 1,200 teachers are native Chinese; therefore, the Thai government is asking the Chinese government to send in 10,000 more Chinese teachers. Under the plan, 2,000 Chinese teachers will be sent to Thailand this year. The total number will have gradually increased to 10,000 by 2015.

In reciprocity, the Thai government will also send more Thai teachers to China to teach the Thai language. China also expects 100,000 Chinese students to study in ASEAN nations by 2020, and 100,000 ASEAN students to study in China. The plan is to allow cultural exchanges between ASEAN and Chinese students.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-23 footer_n.gif

Problem #1: The Chinese teachers will not be able to speak Thai. Whilst not being able to speak the local language is not an impediment to professionally trained teachers of second languages, e.g. TESL teachers, will these Chinese teachers have those skills? Probably not.

Problem #2: China does not want or need Thai to be taught to children, and few adults want to learn it either.

Agree with #1 but I disagree with #2. The men will want to learn. They can get better prices on the bar fines.

Fascinating! Thais are struggling to learn the all important language of English, which any number of commentators stupidly think can be addressed by using Thai teachers. And here is the government hoping to procure 10,000 native Chinese teachers to teach a language which will prove of limited use beyond the borders of China.

Mandarin, or Cantonese, I wonder?

I think it is best to stay away from the seedier side of why men might want to learn Thai.

I've had the pleasure of working with several of the Chinese teachers sent by the Chinese gov't. My experience has been that they are top-notch teachers. They know their materials, are good at getting it across and quite dedicated.

The only unfortunate side is the indoctrination that they receive from the Chinese gov't. I strongly suggest even mentioning things like Tibet. Oh, and the ones I worked with had never heard of the Tianamen square massacre.

Problem #2: China does not want or need Thai to be taught to children, and few adults want to learn it either.

There are growing numbers of Chinese students coming to universities in Thailand and I know of one university which enrolls 15-20 Chinese students per year in their Thai language major program and also puts Chinese students into other Thai-taught programs once they have the language skills. Some of them have learned their Thai in China and others go into intensive courses in Thailand. They are generally very good students and reach a high standard very quickly.

10,000 teachers to teach the Chinese language to Thai students

Flagrant error there is no such thing as the Chinese Language..... Which language will the be teaching?

Putonghua --- the 'language of the people', Cantonese, Tibetan, Yghur.......... and so on and so forth.

Yet another fantasy solution to a real need.

It would be very easy for the Thai government to bring in 10,000 teachers of Chinese if they were capable of designing an effective curriculum and training decent methodology. Just pay market rates for good teachers rather than wasting the majority of the education budget on bureacracy and corruption.

Problem #1: The Chinese teachers will not be able to speak Thai. Whilst not being able to speak the local language is not an impediment to professionally trained teachers of second languages, e.g. TESL teachers, will these Chinese teachers have those skills? Probably not.

Agree with #1 but I disagree with #2. The men will want to learn. They can get better prices on the bar fines.

I don't necessarily agree with #1. First of all it says Chinese teachers, implying that they already have training (and most likely, degrees & experience) in education. They might have experience with teaching Chinese as a foreign language, they may not. But how is that any worse than the people who move to Thailand and end up getting English teaching jobs because it's the only employment they can obtain and they desperately want to stay in Thailand? Most of them don't speak Thai. Many are not "professionally trained." (Not that there aren't some excellent, trained English teachers in Thailand.) We rarely hear posters criticizing the English teachers in Thailand, the majority of whom had little to no training in education before they arrived.

If needed, give the Chinese teachers a little instruction in teaching 2nd language learners, and the way I see it, as experienced teachers, they actually have a leg up.

These Chinese teachers are more than welcome, but are exploited to the core. The Chinese government actually caps their salaries to, i believe, around 16,000 baht. Poor souls!

The ones I worked with were paid by the Chinese gov't. I don't recall the salary, but I believe it was in the 20,000 baht area. They also received a smaller salary from the school as well as free housing.

I believe they are trained in teaching Chinese to non-native Chinese teachers.

Thailand should get all her English teacher requirements from mainland China.

Other than teaching English on-the-cheap, they can also teach Chinese during the same class.

Kill 2 bird with 1 stones.

Edited by sparebox2

As can be seen from the recent news, China is becoming VERY important to Thailand . . . you'll see now a switch from the 'western' market to the Chinese markets, both in industrial terms and also tourism.

Indeed it is. 1000s of Chinese govt. officials holidaying down here in Phuket can't be wrong. I was told 15,000 but I think that is a bit of a stretch. Even for Laguna.

thailand can send HOOKERS or just women, they have a big shortage of

what is a thai teacher going to understand ? not chinese, because they need chinese speaking thais and they have a shortage of those

what is the value of thai language , outside thailand ?????????

ziltch, nada, nothing, zero

Thai is a dying language. In about 30 to 40 years only a rural minority will speak the language, as in a globalized world it is as important as Latin in terms of international communication. Already today people speak more Cambodian, Lao, Bahasa and Myanmar languages, than Thai- At least when they are communicating home. And what the heck is a Chinese doing with his Thai language skills? Perhaps opening a CTM shop in China town to sell rhino horn?

The Chinese are the new rising race. They are growing in money, influence and are eager to make up for decades of malignant lack of economic progress. They also like to speak their own language whenever they can since, even after the massive drive to learn english in China, the proficiency is not as widespread as some other countries in Asia e.g. Philipines. They bring with them their own set of advantages and disadvantages, but any country which wishes to build economic ties with them would do nicely to learn their language. When a chinese company deals with a Thai company, they would like to have somebody in Thailand who can speak a bit of their language and better bridge the communication gap.

The chances of success of the initiative would obviously be coloured by the fates of such endeavours of past and also the changing geo-political landscape. However, there arn't many downsides to learning the language of a growing country which can arguably be a superpower in not so distant future.

It's an interesting bit of news, but unlikely to cause much impact on English teaching- for a long time, anyway. As Culcine says, WAY more likely that the Chinese will learn English along with everyone else than that others will pick up the numbers of characters necessary to function professionally in their language.

I doubt the Chinese customer is worried about getting a 'good' deal, price isn't the motivator in the transaction for them.

If the price of a bar fine is important then we really don't want that customer in Thailand.

10,000 teachers to teach the Chinese language to Thai students

Flagrant error there is no such thing as the Chinese Language..... Which language will the be teaching?

Putonghua --- the 'language of the people', Cantonese, Tibetan, Yghur.......... and so on and so forth.

Good point my fellow bear! Putonghua or "regular language" is used as a common language by the Chinese ethnic business people in Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, etc; rather than the dialects of Cantonese, Hokkien, etc.. It's also the used extensively in Taiwan. Ergo that should be the one............ so they'll probably go for something else!!

Seriously, it is a good initiative. English and Putonghua are the 2 most important languages to learn. Bringing in native Chinese teachers is the correct way to do this for Putonghua. Do you think anyone will be bright enough to twig that bringing in native English speaking teachers might be a good way to teach English?

• Like 1

Thailand should get all her English teacher requirements from mainland China.

Other than teaching English on-the-cheap, they can also teach Chinese during the same class.

Kill 2 bird with 1 stones.

Attempt at humour ............ no one could seriously believe China would be the place to look for large numbers of proficient English language teachers could they??wink.png

I can definitely see the benefits for Thai students to learn Mandarin Chinese, I know English is still the international business language but I think its very much in Thailand's interests to be able to communicate with the Chinese in business.

However I can't see many students in China really being that interested in learning Thai?! If the majority of Thai teachers I've worked with are anything to go by, I'm sure the Chinese education system can probably survive without a bunch of middle aged women with 2 foot tall, concrete hairspray quiffs, sitting around in their classrooms doing bugger all during the school day, then demanding students attend their special classes after school where they actually 'teach'.......yeah I somehow don't think that education is going to be Thailand's next big export =P

Everyone forgets that China is not the only power house of the future. India will be a major player in the future and one day soon have a bigger population. A very large population who speak English as a second language, so I do not think the business world will be switching to Mandarin just yet. India will keep the status quo for the future.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use Arial size 14 when posting (default forum font).
  • Like 1

I think it is best to stay away from the seedier side of why men might want to learn Thai.

I've had the pleasure of working with several of the Chinese teachers sent by the Chinese gov't. My experience has been that they are top-notch teachers. They know their materials, are good at getting it across and quite dedicated.

The only unfortunate side is the indoctrination that they receive from the Chinese gov't. I strongly suggest even mentioning things like Tibet. Oh, and the ones I worked with had never heard of the Tianamen square massacre.

Maby China have an alterior motive. Arent they going to build a high speed rail line right through the middle of Thailand all the way down to Singapore. It could be the start of the screaming hords. (Conspiracy Theory.)

As can be seen from the recent news, China is becoming VERY important to Thailand . . . you'll see now a switch from the 'western' market to the Chinese markets, both in industrial terms and also tourism.

Only ten thousand,maybe they can fit them inside the tablets when they get here????????????