Flying With Aeroflot

Recently my company booked me on an Aeroflot flight from Bangkok to Baku, via Moscow. I could not believe it when the flight attendant told me that the flight was alcohol free! "Why is that"? I asked, "because Russians go crazy when they drink too much, and they always drink too much on flights between Thailand and Russia, so we do not serve alcohol on these flights" I am not Russian and I was pissed off that I could not have a wine with my meal.....My company will not be booking me on Aeroflot again!

• Like 2

I'd have been thanking them and asking my company to book all my Russian flights on Aeroflot...

Aeroflot used to fly the Airbus from Moscow to Sydney Australia.

I thought they were an OK airline.

Never had any complaints about them

I was an Export man for more than 30 years for a UK company. Rule no. 1, never let your company choose your flights, times and routings for you. If you're lucky enough to have a division that do the bookings (a luxury nowadays) then nominate the flights and hotels yourself, that way you have control over your itinerary and airlines, and not some dopy girl in the office. Good luck with your travels.

Pattaya should love Aeroflot.... keep them Ruskies high and dry so they will hit the ground running to the nearest 7-11.... But seriously, they should install showers on all aeroflot Thailand bound flights and require those Russian tourists to use those showers before arriving at Swampy....

I was on an Aeroflot flight once to Thailand. The drunken scene was nightmarish. This is a smart move on their part.

Are they still giving free T/shirts to passengers who arrive at their destination ' I flew Aeroflot and survived'?

midasthailand, aeroflot knows their passengers much better than you.

your glass of wine is 5 liters of duty-free booze for Russians, some (if not most) of which gets consumed during the 10 h flight.

I can say that my own experience with aeroflot on a non-drinking plane was miles better than flying with emirates from MSK to BKK simply due to lack of drunks.

I also don't think the no booze rule is enforced in business class by the way, and unless you turn vodka into gold with a single touch, you will not want to fly on a plane with Russian drunktards.

Edited by princessa

I was an Export man for more than 30 years for a UK company. Rule no. 1, never let your company choose your flights, times and routings for you. If you're lucky enough to have a division that do the bookings (a luxury nowadays) then nominate the flights and hotels yourself, that way you have control over your itinerary and airlines, and not some dopy girl in the office. Good luck with your travels.

How very true. always book your own flights. I got 'stuck' in Kenya once and the RAF sent me back to the UK on an Aeroflot flight (don't ask) never again. One airline that joined my banned list for life.

I believe OP should not only write a complaint but also boycott the airline. Just imagine what he had to suffer..............

He could not have a glass of $5 bottle wine with his meal for 8 or so hours, that is just despicable.

Wow! You do have big problems! ohmy.png

Not really, if the Ruskies are a pain in the ass thats one thing but to put the rest of us in the same bracket is a bit off, as some of us really do like a glass of something when we eat and don't get plastered. bah.gif

You poor thing... you can't expect a first-class airline to fly to a shithole like Baku. If your complany sends you to places like that you should think of changing jobs.

agreegtrgr.gif

Edited by mayito7777

How very true. always book your own flights. I got 'stuck' in Kenya once and the RAF sent me back to the UK on an Aeroflot flight (don't ask) never again. One airline that joined my banned list for life.

Was that when the iron curtain was still up? A lot have things have changed since then.

Do the pilots still perform "tactical" landings?

High approach and a race to the ground..

In Europe, both Ryanair and Wizzair do that. It saves fuel.

I almost took an Aeroflot flight back to the UK last year, but I got talking to a guy in the Gecko Bar in Rambuttri and he spent a lot of time talking me out of it. It wasn't the absolute cheapest (Turkish Airlines had that honour) but I thought it might be interesting to go via Moscow and the flight was shorter. He told me things about Aeroflot that I won't repeat here, but which put me off flying with them forever.

Believe me, they have the right rules in place. I travel between Moscow and Bangkok and the U.S. on a regular basis using either Aeroflot or Transaero and you don't want them drinking. The last Transaero flight I took all the Russians were drinking in the bars in the terminal before takeoff and within 5 minutes after sitting down there was a fist fight right next to my seat. At that point the steward came through and confiscated all the duty free whiskey until they landed in Bangkok. Did stop them though as many had whiskey in other bottles and went to the toilet to drink. The flight never really quieted down.

Dead right,Lumply. I, too was an export man for a UK company for many years and used to research my own itineraries aand destination hotels (if visiting a country for the first time). Using the Airlines guide one could even chech on the type of aircraft and intermediate landings -- in those days far fewer non-stop flights.

You poor thing... you can't expect a first-class airline to fly to a shithole like Baku. If your complany sends you to places like that you should think of changing jobs.

If your future posts are anything like your first one I can see you being a short lived TV poster.

Have you ever been to Baku? I found it to be a thoroughly lovely place, perfectly clean, good night life, nice people and a very good future.

Enjoy your short membership of TV!

• Like 1

Last time I drank with Russians in Bangkok they explained that when they drink there is Alcohol and something non Alcohol to drink.

Alcohol was vodka (of course)

The non Alcohol drink (to drink between 2 shots of vodka) was Singha Beer.

(and some of them were Muslims: Wodka=Water, Beer=food....but no pork, please)

Maybe you should have told her that it is OK to not serve alcohol and if she could bring you some wine instead??