What Ssd Disk To Buy For A Mid 2009 Macbook Pro

george

I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2009). I'd like to treat myself with a 256GB SSD disk for this machine, running on latest Lion.

Any recommendations what brand and model I should choose to avoid problems?

Thanks in advance.

^ I'd go with Intel or Samsung 830. OCZ needs to be researched as they make so many different models - some are good, some less so.

Then use Trim Enabler app to enable TRIM support. Works perfectly with my 2009 MacBook Pro / Intel X-25M SSD. It makes a huge difference in speed over time, e.g. without TRIM the SSD slows down by a factor of 2 or 3.

@tywais yeah OS X supports TRIM but only for Apple-supplied SSDs. I guess they wanted to cover their behinds in case something goes wrong. TRIM Enabler app just turns this on for any SSD, and it works just fine.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

^ I'd go with Intel or Samsung 830. OCZ needs to be researched as they make so many different models - some are good, some less so.

Then use Trim Enabler app to enable TRIM support. Works perfectly with my 2009 MacBook Pro / Intel X-25M SSD. It makes a huge difference in speed over time, e.g. without TRIM the SSD slows down by a factor of 2 or 3.

@tywais yeah OS X supports TRIM but only for Apple-supplied SSDs. I guess they wanted to cover their behinds in case something goes wrong. TRIM Enabler app just turns this on for any SSD, and it works just fine.

Ya. From my personnel experience, I had tried Intel X-25M. Worked well on MBP13 2011. Then I upgrade to Samsung 830. Worked well too. Both SSD can enable TRIM using Trim Enabler.