Paranoid Or Prudent?

nocturn

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In anther thread a poster remarked the following:

I only take a card out the go to the ATM and then straight back it goes to my apartment safe. I restrict the cash I go out with to a sensible amount and keep it in my side pocket. I have an empty dummy wallet in my back trouser pocket.

I noted that i perceived his actions as paranoid, and he took exception, remarking that my response was crap.

rather than engage in a circular argument, i decided to let the TV general public decide whether they deem his precautions paranoid, somewhat excessive or outright paranoid.

I defer to the opinion of the herd.

I don't carry my ATM card unless I have to, it's not the fear of theft, it's the fear of me losing it. I'm notorious for misplacing things.

Therefore I split all my cards and cash so that if I lose one I don't lose all. Obviously if my room / flat / house is turned over by thieves they are unlikely to find all the stashes. It's the aggravation factor that bothers me most.

I see guys with wallets bulging with cards and wonder what they would do if the wallet went missing.

• Like 1

Whose the paranoid one now. I had forgotten about that already.

Like the poster above said, it is a high crime area and I know full well that at night there are more than enough pickpockets around Sukhumvit. I was almost a victim once, he/she had the wallet in her hand, but gave it back when I noticed. It also happened to a colleague of mine and I have heard of other instances.

Like Jingthing, of course I carry a card that I use for general shopping during the day if I know I will require it. I was really referring to nocturnal adventures when this crime happens mostly, but still see no point in carrying it during the day if it is not going to be needed.

Your response rankled me as uptil your intervention it was a reasoned debate, without insult.

You just do things your way, and I will do things my way.

I just hope that one day you don't look back on this argument, and this silly survey, with regret.

By the way, I am in the medical profession and your misuse of the word paranoid was amusing. The intent was not. Genuine paranoia is a serious illness, being cautious in the way I prefer is good sense.

Edited by Beechboy

<snip>

By the way, I am in the medical profession and your mis-use of the word paranoid was amusing. The intent was not.

am i to understand you too are misusing the word here? perhaps for effect?

On points of language i take great care, so i would appreciate if you could provide me with a definition which will allow me to use the word correctly and not cause people of the medical profession like yourself such mirth.

• Like 1

<snip>

By the way, I am in the medical profession and your mis-use of the word paranoid was amusing. The intent was not.

On points of language i take great care, so i would appreciate if you could provide me with a definition which will allow me to use the word correctly and not cause people of the medical profession like yourself such mirth.

1. Yes. Very much so.

2. Refer to my above edit, or to a decent dictionary (preferably medical.) Better still, Google it. You will find that paranoia is an illnes with a wide range of quite serious symptoms, rather than just a single need to be careful in a vulnerable situation. You used it incorrectly and, with respect, others, who agreed with you, are also wrong. Excessive behaviour, fair enough. My choice.

3. On points of language, the first person singular, when written, is upper case. Sentences start with a capital. Note my use of commas.

Edited by Beechboy

<snip>

1. Yes. Very much so.

2. Refer to my above edit, or to a decent dictionary (preferably medical.) Better still, Google it. You will find that paranoia is an illnes with a wide range of quite serious symptoms, rather than just a single need to be careful in a vulnerable situation. You used it incorrectly and, with respect, others, who agreed with you, are also wrong. Excessive behaviour, fair enough. My choice.

3. On points of language, the first person singular, when written, is upper case. Sentences start with a capital. Note my use of commas.

it is now clear to me you simply want to bicker semantics, and that my usage was indeed correct, if not in the strictest medical sense.

i will leave you to it.

careful, its a jungle out there.

<snip>

1. Yes. Very much so.

it is now clear to me you simply want to bicker semantics, and that my usage was indeed correct, if not in the strictest medical sense.

i will leave you to it.

careful, its a jungle out there.

He finally admits it. You called my behaviour paranoid. You used the word in the loosest sense. You were incorrect. I took offence. Most would object to being insulted in that way, and for no logical reason.

Be more careful with your insults in future, as well as with your wallet.

We dont have a safe in Thailand, so both my wife and I who have duplicate cards carry them with us. In Australia we keep them locked up, more to prevent us loosing them then anything else.

We are also members of Sentinel so we can stop most things with one phone call.

The use of the word "paranoid" can be akin to being "over cautious" , a word which is often bandied about without meaning to cause offence and for people to say they are a member of the medical profession in this instance I find petty and rather amusinggiggle.gif Neurosurgeons have always been prone to sensitivity .whistling.gif

I wouldnt do itbiggrin.png

Edited by edwinclapham

I take my Thai bank account cards out with me and they stay in my purse. As for my UK bank accounts, I usually withdraw a big sum and then transfer the money to my Thai bank account but only because it charges 150 baht every time I withdraw and I don't like walking around with lots of money on me. Once I've withdrawn the UK account money I usually spend the day having that card on me but I always remember to take it out of my purse once I get home.

All of my cards are stashed about my apartment, I'll admit not in a paranoid way. But they're not in view when you enter my apartment.

He finally admits it. You called my behaviour paranoid. You used the word in the loosest sense. You were incorrect. I took offence. Most would object to being insulted in that way, and for no logical reason.

you may not be paranoid, but you surely lack humor. is that a result of long hours spent in the 'medical profession'?

• Like 1

you may not be paranoid, but you surely lack humor. is that a result of long hours spent in the 'medical profession'?

Nothing funny about your postings. I detect no "humor."

Please don't now resort to trying to be clever about my profession. A bit cheap that last remark and not at all necessary.

P.S. The question mark goes inside the quotes.

Nothing funny about your postings. I detect no "humor."

Please don't now resort to trying to be clever about my profession. A bit cheap that last remark and not at all necessary.

P.S. The question mark goes inside the quotes.

my, you nurses certainly can get edgy.

and it most certainly does not go inside the quotes. If you want to be a pedant, get it right.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

nocturn ... this thread could have been so much more.

Your opening argument states

rather than engage in a circular argument,

But that is exactly what you have done with Beechboy.

How about agreeing to disagree and steer the thread into a question/answer/comment format?

Just saying ...

• Like 1

We don't find it necessary to retain an ATM card, credit cards, or debit cards.

Our existence is less complex and manufactured without the devices of control and suppression.

"Nurses?" Where did you get that from? You're getting bizarre now.

Check out the ruling on quote marks please.

honestly, to sink to such a level of pedantry is bad enough, but to be a pedant of this magnitude and balatantly incorrect is unforgivable.

So i ask the board to indulge me as i derail my own thread.

so, beechboy, do you mean this ruling?

In the United Kingdom, Canada, and islands under the influence of British education, punctuation around quotation marks is more apt to follow logic. In American style, then, you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design." But in England you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design". The placement of marks other than periods and commas follows the logic that quotation marks should accompany (be right next to) the text being quoted or set apart as a title. Thus, you would write (on either side of the Atlantic):

• What do you think of Robert Frost's "Design"? and
  • I love "Design"; however, my favorite poem was written by Emily Dickinson.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/quotation.htm

or this one:

Rule 2

The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic. If a question is in quotation marks, the question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks.

Examples:

She asked, "Will you still be my friend?"

Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?

Here the question is outside the quote.

NOTE: Only one ending punctuation mark is used with quotation marks. Also, the stronger punctuation mark wins. Therefore, no period after war is used.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

or this one?

Place ! and ? inside or outside according to logic.

bullet_1.gif Did she really say, "I love you"? bultick.gif

("I love you" is not a question, but the whole sentence is.)

bullet_1.gif I heard him yell, "Do you love me?" bultick.gif

(The whole sentence is not a question, but the quotation is a question.)

The second example is not a question, but it ends in a question mark. For neatness, it is acceptable to use just one end mark. Under US convention, you should only use one end mark. Under the UK convention, if you’re a real logic freak, you can use two end marks (if you must).

bullet_1.gif I heard him yell, "Do you love me?". bultick.gif

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_punctuation_in_or_out.htm

or this one?

Double Punctuation with Quotations

Occasionally — very occasionally, we hope — we come across a sentence that seems to demand one kind of punctuation mark within quotation marks and another kind of punctuation mark outside the quotation marks. A kind of pecking order of punctuation marks takes over: other marks are stronger than a period and an exclamation mark is usually stronger than a question mark. If a statement ends in a quoted question, allow the question mark within the quotation marks suffice to end the sentence.

• Malcolm X had the courage to ask the younger generation of American blacks, "What did we do, who preceded you?"

On the other hand, if a question ends with a quoted statement that is not a question, the question mark will go outside the closing quotation mark.

• Who said, "Fame means when your computer modem is broken, the repair guy comes out to your house a little faster"?

If a question ends with a quotation containing an exclamation mark, the exclamation mark will supersede the question and suffice to end the sentence.

• Wasn't it Malcolm X who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"

A single question mark will suffice to end a quoted question within a question:

• "Didn't he ask, 'What did we do, who preceded you?'" queried Johnson.

Authority for this section:

New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage

HarperCollins: New York. 1994. 277.

have they lightened up the language requirements for the 'medical profession'?.

It would certainly seem so.

How about agreeing to disagree and steer the thread into a question/answer/comment format?

Just saying ...

Agree. It has probably been fun for the both of us, but for nobody else.

I still maintain the thread was fine until injected with insult. I would hope to return to the original debate.

Finally, I now confess to a bit of mischeviousness in my dummy wallet thing. Should one of these crooks actually get their hands on it with glee, I would delight in the thought of their eventual disappointment.

I have also put an invalid card into this infamous wallet at times, assuming that the culprit would immediately try to use it at a non-pin outlet and have the embarrassment of having the card and the purchase denied.

Silly? Maybe. Paranoid it is not.

Yes, Nocturn, I had checked that out earlier and found it inconclusive. Perhaps it is one of these Anglo/American divisions.

A new thread about this might be fun. Any teachers on board? English preferably.

Edited by Beechboy

Just saying ...

Agree. It has probably been fun for the both of us, but for nobody else.

I still maintain the thread was fine until injected with insult. I would hope to return the original debate.

Finally, I now confess to a bit of mischeviousness in my dummy wallet thing. Should one of these crooks actually get their hands on it with glee, I would delight in the thought of their eventual disappointment.

I have also put an invalid card into this infamous wallet at times, assuming that the culprit would immediately try to use it at a non-pin outlet and have the embarrassment of having the card and the purchase denied.

Silly? Maybe. Paranoid it is not.

i would agree that this thread has proved entertaining.

and david48, im sorry to have let you down, i so wanted to make you proud today.

• Like 1

Wow! After that little lesson on placement of punctuation marks, I can really empathise with non-English speaking people finding English so confusing to learn.

And I thought Thai is difficult.

But back to the topic, I like the idea of a dummy wallet except in my case by the time I'd had a few I would probably try to pay my bar bill with the dummy and get all flustered thinking I was broke.burp.gif

I only keep a very small amount of money in accounts that have ATM or internet access.

Real money is in accounts that need passbook, passport and me at the bank at the same time.

Me2. Seems a very basic precaution.

And I have no safe anyway, nor do I have any cash or valuables in case anyone's getting ideas.

Granted, grammar, word usage, and punctuation ofttimes suffer in ThaiVisa. That is not an issue which should become the focus of any thread.

Please refrain from taking this or any other thread into the realm of the grammar police.