Beer With Or Without Ice

garrya

Coke or Pepsi with aspartane...... yukkkkkkk, ice or not.

I like the idea of those big beer dispensers that I saw at the Lumpini Market nite club.

Frozen rod of ice in a tube down the centre of the glass cylinder holding the beer, worked great.

Now a similar thing, pint sized would be great.

Some of ya must have seen them.

In the meantime, if need be, a BIG lump of ice, less melting down, suff ICE s

Edited by Zpete

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an Iced Glass ?? (i.e. a glass thats straight out of the freezer).

In the Thai climate beer gets warm too quickly, an 'iced' glass helps, so does a frozen glass with a cm of ice in the bottom.

Once that has warmed up, a new 'iced' glass is great.

Failing that - sure, ice in beer is not an issue - usually only one or two pieces of ice.

Slightly watered down cold beer (i.e. Singha, Heineken etc) is better than warm beer.

Ice in Wine: Red Wine - NO.. Cheap boxed white wine, OK, especially when mixed with lemonade to make a longer 'wine shandy' which is also an enjoyable drink in the heat.

Iced glass is OK for the first drink, small bottle. They don't change it after the first one.

Worst case scenario drop an ice cube in & drink quicker. I tend to always keep a soft neoprene beer holder on hand. When situations permit I use it.

PS : I have 2 , a bottle & a can holder.

No I don't really like beer lol.

• Like 1

Iced glass is OK for the first drink, small bottle. They don't change it after the first one.

Worst case scenario drop an ice cube in & drink quicker. I tend to always keep a soft neoprene beer holder on hand. When situations permit I use it.

Good idea – I hate using 2nd hand beer condoms. In the heat of battle the bottle (or can) has too much condensation, out of the small hole in the bottom the dregs of this fetid condensate then leaks over ones clothing leaving a somewhat unkempt and slobby appearance popular with the 10am barstool crowd…

I carry one in my golf bag….

I’m going to invent a battery operated heat exchanger and incorporate this into a beer mug / glass, it should maintain the liquid in ones vesicle at the perfect imbibable temperature.

The 'Mini-tube' (the rod of plastic containing ice similar to that in the beer towers) to plop in the centre of a glass of beer is also a great idea.

Good idea – I hate using 2nd hand beer condoms. In the heat of battle the bottle (or can) has too much condensation, out of the small hole in the bottom the dregs of this fetid condensate then leaks over ones clothing leaving a somewhat unkempt and slobby appearance popular with the 10am barstool crowd…

I carry one in my golf bag….

I’m going to invent a battery operated heat exchanger and incorporate this into a beer mug / glass, it should maintain the liquid in ones vesicle at the perfect imbibable temperature.

The 'Mini-tube' (the rod of plastic containing ice similar to that in the beer towers) to plop in the centre of a glass of beer is also a great idea.

To counteract the dripping condensation from normal beer coolers, at home I have stuck 3-4 tissues in each. They form into shape , stop that problem & stop leaving water marks.

if drinking during the day i will go with ice as it makes the drink last longer so dont get to drunk and if out in the evening and the beer is getting warm i will also go with the ice.

i love the taste of thia beer with or without ice

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand on and off for 5 years. Latest stint nearly 3 years. I read the beer labels and they all say lager beer. The only one I found was a Japanese one but "dry' and no "head'

So I decided to import the can of malt with hops and the other ingredients. The postage is not cheap but I am hanging out for a beer with a good head and taste. I have been making beer for about 45 years and only had about 2 bad batches. Plus home brewed beer lasts a lot longer. I once had a bottle 10 years old. Normally I drink it 1 to 3 years old. I am difficulty obtaining glucose

or dextrose. plus white powered corn syrup.to help make the brew. If anyone could advise me where to purchase the aforementioned products I would be obliged. I did not have any problems with importing the product. It had been opened by customs too.

The beer here tastes like 'kee', adding ice to dilute the bad taste is a good thing.

In most of the cases you are absolutely right. But there is a reason that beer tastes not good at all in Thailand. The main reason is, that beer is not stored properly. After the filling of the bottle the beer has to be stored in between 8 and 12 degrees centigrade, and Thais do not know. They do not give a hoot, beer in Thailand is being sold to get pissed, and not to enjoy. Down here in Hat Yai in most cases you can buy beer, which is around one to four months of age and has been sitting on a shelf in a supermarket or even been stored in a non-cooled warehouse for a month or so. These beers are DEAD. If you are in Bangkok you might be more lucky: Try to get a freshly brewed Singha (the big bottle, filling date on the back) and compare it with a bottle which has been exposed to high temperatures and/or is two month old. The fresh Singha beer is still sweet, tasty and comes with nice bubbles, whilst the old or warm stored bottle has a bitter and a little sour taste. Also beware of beers that have been frozen. In most cases you find them on the bottom of these cooling closets. This beer is dead too. And when you finally find a good fresh beer, you do not want ice in there.

Due to the amount of preservatives Heineken is not that sensitive as beer Singh, but for me Heineken is just an ordinary commodity rather than a good beer. I can not tell you about Chang, as I tried it once and never again. To make a long story short:

It is always worthwhile to check the filling date of the beer before buying a bottle. Do not buy older than two weeks.

And do not ask questions about the age, storage of the beer: Khun Thai mei ruu!

• Like 1

The beer here tastes like 'kee', adding ice to dilute the bad taste is a good thing.

In most of the cases you are absolutely right. But there is a reason that beer tastes not good at all in Thailand. The main reason is, that beer is not stored properly. After the filling of the bottle the beer has to be stored in between 8 and 12 degrees centigrade, and Thais do not know. They do not give a hoot, beer in Thailand is being sold to get pissed, and not to enjoy. Down here in Hat Yai in most cases you can buy beer, which is around one to four months of age and has been sitting on a shelf in a supermarket or even been stored in a non-cooled warehouse for a month or so. These beers are DEAD. If you are in Bangkok you might be more lucky: Try to get a freshly brewed Singha (the big bottle, filling date on the back) and compare it with a bottle which has been exposed to high temperatures and/or is two month old. The fresh Singha beer is still sweet, tasty and comes with nice bubbles, whilst the old or warm stored bottle has a bitter and a little sour taste. Also beware of beers that have been frozen. In most cases you find them on the bottom of these cooling closets. This beer is dead too. And when you finally find a good fresh beer, you do not want ice in there.

Due to the amount of preservatives Heineken is not that sensitive as beer Singh, but for me Heineken is just an ordinary commodity rather than a good beer. I can not tell you about Chang, as I tried it once and never again. To make a long story short:

It is always worthwhile to check the filling date of the beer before buying a bottle. Do not buy older than two weeks.

And do not ask questions about the age, storage of the beer: Khun Thai mei ruu!

Thanks for your remarks, this explains why I find the same brand with different taste. From now, I will always check the filling date. Let's see the difference. drunk.gif

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand on and off for 5 years. Latest stint nearly 3 years. I read the beer labels and they all say lager beer. The only one I found was a Japanese one but "dry' and no "head'

So I decided to import the can of malt with hops and the other ingredients. The postage is not cheap but I am hanging out for a beer with a good head and taste. I have been making beer for about 45 years and only had about 2 bad batches. Plus home brewed beer lasts a lot longer. I once had a bottle 10 years old. Normally I drink it 1 to 3 years old. I am difficulty obtaining glucose

or dextrose. plus white powered corn syrup.to help make the brew. If anyone could advise me where to purchase the aforementioned products I would be obliged. I did not have any problems with importing the product. It had been opened by customs too.

I went on a small cruise from Adelaide to Melbourne. I do not remember the name of the ship. But when we docked at Melbourne the ship got a reasonable distance from the dockside and went sideways into the dock. They also served beer in a type of plastic container which had a double body or skin Similar to a Thermos flask. I had never seen one before or since. It kept your beer cooler longer. the drawback was it was so wide around the rim of the container I do not think it contained the full measure of beer as it soon got empty.
  • Like 1

Hi,

I went on a small cruise from Adelaide to Melbourne. I do not remember the name of the ship. But when we docked at Melbourne the ship got a reasonable distance from the dockside and went sideways into the dock. They also served beer in a type of plastic container which had a double body or skin Similar to a Thermos flask. I had never seen one before or since. It kept your beer cooler longer. the drawback was it was so wide around the rim of the container I do not think it contained the full measure of beer as it soon got empty.

I once had a bicycle that kept getting punctures so I had to push it home. I often drank beer on the way back and it wasn't refrigerated.

• Like 2

I would never dream of it with a Real Ale and I could never understand the farangs who do it here even with Thai beers.

It took 18 months and a very hot afternoon before I put ice in my beer and now there's no going back.

I would never dream of it with a Real Ale and I could never understand the farangs who do it here even with Thai beers.

It took 18 months and a very hot afternoon before I put ice in my beer and now there's no going back.

Oh no...!!

You've been tainted, my friend.

By any chance, you didn't find a pod somewhere near you, did you?

Oh no...!!

You've been tainted, my friend.

By any chance, you didn't find a pod somewhere near you, did you?

Not me tainted, only the beer.

As mentioned by another poster, ice does seem to take out a lot of the gas letting you drink more... And in answer to your question no, I don't drink in Soi 4 smile.png

As an ex connoisseur of UK real ale tongue.png l wouldn't dream of ice in beer, BUT l cannot drink Thai beer without it. Once the beer is warm it's awful and l think it is brewed to be watered down a bit as all Thais put ice in their beer..

if I'm out and about I don't add ice to the beer as it tastes so terrible that I can never finish a bottle anyway...but I will dump the ice bucket somewhere and then request some more if the serving girl is pleasant and wearing cute little crotch high cut-offs (common attire for teenaged girls in these little country towns) so that I can then watch her walk to and fro...

I'd order a coke but it wouldn't be as much fun or stimulating...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Like everyone...I really enjoy a COLD beer and there is no better way to have it.

As I am in the sticks, when I purchase a box of beer it is always at ambient temperature (33 degrees +/- 5 degrees) and if I cannot wait for them to become colder by injecting them in the freezer, then a bag of ice comes as standard accessories.

After much research on this most popular pastime, I have noticed that when I have had the occasional "big night" on it (with ice) there is a side effect that enables re-hydration without having to remember to guzzle 10 litres of water before you crash, and actually wake up in the morning feeling not like you have been trying to run through brick walls all night.

In conclusion, if I had a choice...of course I will always prefer COLD beer and no ice, but hey I'm versatile. thumbsup.gif