Current Options For Thai Language Courses In Chiang Mai?

wynzlo

Might as well throw in my 2 cents. I first went to AUA about 2 years ago and ended up dropping out about 3/4 of the way through the first speaking class because the teacher was going too fast and I felt like an idiot. She wasn't using the book and after a while doing her own thing she just expected us to start talking.

I've now been through 5 straight classes at YMCA. 3 reading and writing, and Elementary 1 and 2. None of those classes emphasize speaking but there is a fair amount here and there. I'm happy with my ability to read and write. I found the YMCA to be casual and enjoyable for the most part. I did spent a lot of time doing homework translating Thai stories to English and answering questions in Thai. There are a variety of students and abilities and nationalities. It's not a real serious place, but comfortable for a retiree like myself to enjoy learning. I'm gonna take some conversation classes next, see how that goes.

I attached a file, hope it goes thru, with the class offerings, fees, etc. The next round of classes starts next Monday. You can audit a class to see if you like it before signing up and paying for it and the book. Not all classes are offered each term, it depends on how many students sign up, a minimum of 3 usually.

They don't have anything to prove, like they are the best, or give any guarantees. My teacher always told us to be patient with ourselves since we only have 30 hour terms, and Thai kids learn this stuff for years.

I like YMCA.

IMG.pdf

Edited by huli

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it really doesn't make much of a difference. Its just that he took the time to blur the inked numbers... figured he wanted to keep it private.

BTW, you may want to ask the Mod's to remove the pic entirely, you can still see your full passport number in the perforated area on the right.

I don't see how that's a potential issue. People's passport numbers (AND names, AND nationalities) are kept by all hotels in Thailand. That's a huge list of passport numbers and matching names right there. I wouldn't worry too much.

I did find the Payup courses very good and though was maybe intense for me ( I am a little slow maybe ) but I would go back there for sure if I had some accommodation closer and also could work the classes and time in between as a longer break for me would be good.

The YMCA is also really good and the teacher I had as a tutor was a young bloke, very good and willing to help me work out the problems I had with learning.

• Like 1

I've been to about 6 Thai Walen language classes now in Chiang Mai and I'm very happy with the school.

Right now I'm sitting in Singapore after having just picked up my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions) at the Thai Embassy here. The school were really fast at getting all the papers together for me and told me exactly what I needed to do. I didn't have to go to Singapore, I just wanted to see the country -- I'll be back in CM tomorrow.

Everyone at the school is friendly, the teachers are patient and they're always happy to answer all of the random questions people seem to have during the classes.

I don't know Mac, nor have I spoken to him, so this is a totally independent review. I don't know how it compares to other schools as far as pricing goes, but I'm sure if I extend for another year it will definitely be at Walen.

Mac, if you're reading, could you PM me more information about 'partnership' opportunities?

Well, oaky doky then, I now know for sure who I will and won't do business with.

DowntownAl I never said anything negative about you, where did this " I know who I will not do business with" came from?

Do whatever you will. I have been very fair in giving a lot of useful information to you guys. I did not see any other school doing that. I only hear I went to .............. and asked about .............. and they told me........... and on their website...............

I give you first hand info that works. Can you seriously get any better?

Sorry if you got dragged into a minor dispute, I have nothing negative to say about you or your business. My apologize for any misunderstanding.

I've been to about 6 Thai Walen language classes now in Chiang Mai and I'm very happy with the school.

Right now I'm sitting in Singapore after having just picked up my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions) at the Thai Embassy here. The school were really fast at getting all the papers together for me and told me exactly what I needed to do. I didn't have to go to Singapore, I just wanted to see the country -- I'll be back in CM tomorrow.

Everyone at the school is friendly, the teachers are patient and they're always happy to answer all of the random questions people seem to have during the classes.

I don't know Mac, nor have I spoken to him, so this is a totally independent review. I don't know how it compares to other schools as far as pricing goes, but I'm sure if I extend for another year it will definitely be at Walen.

Mac, if you're reading, could you PM me more information about 'partnership' opportunities?

Well, oaky doky then, I now know for sure who I will and won't do business with.

DowntownAl I never said anything negative about you, where did this " I know who I will not do business with" came from?

Do whatever you will. I have been very fair in giving a lot of useful information to you guys. I did not see any other school doing that. I only hear I went to .............. and asked about .............. and they told me........... and on their website...............

I give you first hand info that works. Can you seriously get any better?

I wouldn't say other schools don't give information. I do my best promote Payap's Intensive English Program but there is only so much that a non-sponsor is allowed to say without being censored by ThaiVisa moderators. I do understand their support of their sponsors and try not to cross the line with my comments about Payap.

Honestly, I like Walen School of Thai. I went to your last seminar and got the impression Walen is a very well ran business. I'm even considering studying there if I'm unable to squeeze Payap into my schedule. It's my number 2 choice.

I'm not trying to get between you guys in battle, just wanted to point out an odd coincidence. (Disclaimer to Macwalen: I am not attacking you or am I saying anything negative about you, please refrain from any further personal attacks on me)

Has anyone else noticed that the authorized signatory is also: Walen?

BTW, you may want to ask the Mod's to remove the pic entirely, you can still see your full passport number in the perforated area on the right.

Really? I'm not sure how you get an 'e' and an 'n' from the last two characters. If by whatever chance it does say Walen, that is purely a coincidence.

<visa picture>

You can see the date as 22nd of May; I was only able to pick it up today (23rd)

Anything else you would like to see? smile.png

I wonder why you wanted to show your visa? Nobody doubts you can easily get a N.I. Education visa as long as you attend a course in something. No magic is involved, all you need is a letter from the school or other institution that states your a student, what you study, and from what date to what date. I've done it myself in the past.

I do wonder if/how this is a one-year visa: Looking at the image it seems to run out on 21 August. If you enter today on 24 May then you will get a stamp until August 22, give or take a day. Then what happens? Will you get an extension for another 90 days without leaving the country, and so on until a full year has passed?

Hi Winnie,

Al had made some pretty serious and long claims in his original response. Implying that I was somehow involved in the school and he wanted to 'hurl' at my claims of it being an independant review. I posted my visa to show that what I had said in my post was true. Sadly 99% of this forum are people who want to start arguments and / or be skeptical.

However, he edited his post one minute after I posted my picture, to try and hide his wild and inaccurate claims.

As for your other comment, in the original post I did say:

"my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions)"

It is for 90 days yes, but I can apply for 90 day extensions here in Chiang Mai for one year, without ever having to leave again.

I hope that clarifies things :)

<visa picture>

You can see the date as 22nd of May; I was only able to pick it up today (23rd)

Anything else you would like to see? smile.png

I wonder why you wanted to show your visa? Nobody doubts you can easily get a N.I. Education visa as long as you attend a course in something. No magic is involved, all you need is a letter from the school or other institution that states your a student, what you study, and from what date to what date. I've done it myself in the past.

I do wonder if/how this is a one-year visa: Looking at the image it seems to run out on 21 August. If you enter today on 24 May then you will get a stamp until August 22, give or take a day. Then what happens? Will you get an extension for another 90 days without leaving the country, and so on until a full year has passed?

Hi Winnie,

Al had made some pretty serious and long claims in his original response. Implying that I was somehow involved in the school and he wanted to 'hurl' at my claims of it being an independant review. I posted my visa to show that what I had said in my post was true. Sadly 99% of this forum are people who want to start arguments and / or be skeptical.

However, he edited his post one minute after I posted my picture, to try and hide his wild and inaccurate claims.

As for your other comment, in the original post I did say:

"my 1 year visa (really 90 days, without the extensions)"

It is for 90 days yes, but I can apply for 90 day extensions here in Chiang Mai for one year, without ever having to leave again.

I hope that clarifies things smile.png

Just not bright enough to leave well enough alone are you. YES - I edited my comment for content. I did not want to offend you are anyone else so I removed it. You seem to want to carry this like a cross while seeking some sort of sympathy for your poor victimized sensibilities. IMHO - you came across like a shill and I find shills very dishonest and offensive. If you want to build a business more power to you but, don't use cheap vacuum cleaner sales techniques to accomplish that goal. I tried to withdraw my comments and get on with life but, for some needy reason on your part you need to keep bringing it back. Grow up and move on. BTW - I did not doubt whether or not you got a Visa, that was never in question, the offensive comment on your part was "Mac, if you're reading, could you PM me more information about 'partnership' opportunities?" Why didn't you just PM Mac on your own? Why the unnecessary public display of adoration? Tell you what hot shot, you leave me alone, I'll be more than happy to leave you alone. Grow up.

Edited by DowntownAl

Most native English speakers/writers tend to trail off at the end of their signatures, which shows why most could/would see the "e" and the "n"

And you are welcome about the visa number.

funny how some will take the extra time to publicly bash someone who was trying to point out an issue... Actually sounds like another poster on this thread.

See post #32. many posts from him responding to the others, but nothing on this one.

I'm not trying to get between you guys in battle, just wanted to point out an odd coincidence. (Disclaimer to Macwalen: I am not attacking you or am I saying anything negative about you, please refrain from any further personal attacks on me)

Has anyone else noticed that the authorized signatory is also: Walen?

Really? I'm not sure how you get an 'e' and an 'n' from the last two characters. If by whatever chance it does say Walen, that is purely a coincidence.

P.S. Kind of funny (and sad) that nobody questions peoples reviews of other schools.

Just something I noticed...

Other school tend to focus on teaching -- the end. They don't advertise with gaming the visa system, or push offer business opportunities. That rubs some people the wrong way.

Not saying that's wrong or bad, just answering the question of why reviews of this school stand out a bit.

And there have of course been many reviews/discussions for example of AUA, with some expressing doubts about their teaching methodology. Ultimately with other schools the discussion revolves around the teaching. That the discussion often turns to other things is because those other things are on the agenda at Walen. Again, that's not a crime against humanity; everyone needs to make a living. But don't be surprised if it then gets discussed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

P.S. Kind of funny (and sad) that nobody questions peoples reviews of other schools.

Just something I noticed...

Other school tend to focus on teaching -- the end. They don't advertise with gaming the visa system, or push offer business opportunities. That rubs some people the wrong way.

Not saying that's wrong or bad, just answering the question of why reviews of this school stand out a bit.

And there have of course been many reviews/discussions for example of AUA, with some expressing doubts about their teaching methodology. Ultimately with other schools the discussion revolves around the teaching. That the discussion often turns to other things is because those other things are on the agenda at Walen. Again, that's not a crime against humanity; everyone needs to make a living. But don't be surprised if it then gets discussed.

Some of those "other things" seem to be on the agenda on ThaiVisa. This thread was more than likely having a visa in mind when it started, and the word "visa" came up already in post #4.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Some of those "other things" seem to be on the agenda on ThaiVisa. [...] the word "visa" came up already in post #4.

Absolutely. The key word indeed being 'visa': a very worthy topic, as visa arrangements are sometimes tricky to get on top of for those wanting to stay long term.

So here's a forum where the topic of stays in Thailand is important.

Then in the Walen website and ads, people see:

post-64232-0-85074600-1338004176_thumb.p

Then that gets discussed; above I used the phrase 'gaming the visa system'. That's potentially a contentious statement but I used it because the nature of most education and learning is that it's temporary, so an education visa could reasonably construed as a permit to stay while studying a particular course. All of that is great. But then there's that word 'Unlimited'..

Anyway, the short version: is that on the agenda and on topic? You betcha! wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some of those "other things" seem to be on the agenda on ThaiVisa. [...] the word "visa" came up already in post #4.

Absolutely. The key word indeed being 'visa': a very worthy topic, as visa arrangements are sometimes tricky to get on top of for those wanting to stay long term.

So here's a forum where the topic of stays in Thailand is important.

Then in the Walen website and ads, people see:

post-64232-0-85074600-1338004176_thumb.p

Then that gets discussed; above I used the phrase 'gaming the visa system'. That's potentially a contentious statement but I used it because the nature of most education and learning is that it's temporary, so an education visa could reasonably construed as a permit to stay while studying a particular course. All of that is great. But then there's that word 'Unlimited'..

Anyway, the short version: is that on the agenda and on topic? You betcha! wink.png

I agree it is gaming the system. That was my point.

MSPain

So there you are. Walen school offers quality language teaching, first class ED visa assistance as well as a business partnership at no extra cost! At least something no other school is offering. I love doing business, I think it is good for all those who are involved and I beleive I am good at teaching business to those who want to learn. My methods might not be to the liking of some but they certainly work. Return on investments in over 10 years is amazing. 30,000 USD become 6 million, 20,000% return on investment in 10 years. From 0 students to 3,400 and form doing business just in Thailand to expanding in the Philippines and China. Form having one employee to 100 now. These are perhaps some of reasons some of the posters do not like Walen. No matter how hard we try and how well we teach and how well we care for our students there will always be some who dislike us.

First, it was our metod, many questioned it worked but were proven wrong by great many happy students who prefer our method to all others.

Second, visa assistance, how can we promote educational visas (Walen was the first private language school promoting ED visas) all others followed us.

Third, business parntership. Some of the posters do not like the idea but I think it is absolutely briliant that all students can become partners and tell others about Walen and become a part of our school. I started with 0 partners but now I have 227 and it is getting more and more popular.

So what can I say to those who do not like Walen? Get to know us and you will change your mind wai.gif

Walen School - what an opportunity!

Yet another Thai Language in CM thread gets hijacked by MacWalen's incessant self promotion, and the hating that goes hand-in-hand with it. ermm.gif

Looking at doing a month at Payap next month. Anyone studying there at the moment?

they did a brief interview to determine i was ok for level 5. K. Boy also taught me, but he won't be available to teach level 6. There were 6 students. I think there may be only 3 students for level 6. It was challenging and helpful.

A little late to this thread but TV lists the options here: http://chiangmai.tha...-in-chiang-mai/

A.U.A. Language Center

Address: 73 Ratchadamnern Road

Tel: 053-278-407, 053-277-951

Web: http://www.learnthaiinchiangmai.com/

Chiang Mai University

Address: 239 Huay Kaew Road

Tel: 053-943-761

Web: http://www.learnthaicmu.com/

Payap University

Address: Chiang Mai-Lampang Highway, Foreign Language Center, Faculty of Arts, Benjaban Building, Room BB 205

Tel. 053-851-478 ext. 475

Web: http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php

Pro Language

Address: 6/4-5 Nimmanhemin Road

Tel: 053-400-980 -1

Web: http://www.prolangua...ang-mai-branch/

Study Thai Chiang Mai

Address: 86/2 Kaewnawarat Road

Tel: 053-266-295 -6, 081-885-4144

Web: http://www.studythaichiangmai.com/

Web: http://seetefl.com/ (for TEFL program)

Walen School

Address: 12 Huay Kaew Rd

Tel: 053-405-393 -4

Web: http://www.thaiwalen.com/location.php

YMCA Language Center

Address: 11 Mengrairasmi, Sermsuk Road

Tel: 053-221-819, 053-221-820

Web: http://www.ymcachiangmai.org/

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 2

Yet another Thai Language in CM thread gets hijacked by MacWalen's incessant self promotion, and the hating that goes hand-in-hand with it. ermm.gif

Looking at doing a month at Payap next month. Anyone studying there at the moment?

I considered Walen's but the principal's aggressive overselling and responses tuned me off.

Has anyone tried the on-line High Speed Thai course?

I'm looking for people to study with for 5 or 6 weeks from the middle of June onwards. I'd be looking at up to 10 hours a week, preferably mornings.

Unfortunately, none of the courses listed above cover these dates so I'd be looking for people at a similar level to me. So a group of 4 at my sort of level and private classes would be ideal. My level:

Recognise the shapes of letters and the sound they make, but I don't know the classes or how tones are formed. Also some of the vowels I can get a bit lost on.

I have a fairly wide vocabulary, and can get by in most situations, but my grammar is poor - basically I'm self taught after 4 years living here with just one short course at Pro Language (I wouldn't want to go back). I cannot converse in any real depth.

So, if there's anybody out there at a similar level to me wanting to study starting in 3/4 weeks time, I'd be happy to hear from you!

Hope this isn't considered an advert by mods....

it would be nice, if possible, to have an informal 'club' to meet fellow students for Thai conversation once a week or once a month. I guess there would be all levels but we would all gain something out of it

• Like 1

ps I believe Pro Language has offices in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai, so you may be able to split your time amongst those places.

That is a great idea. I never thought about about being able to keep my ED visa and also travel around the country! Thanks

Also like to say I was shocked to see that Walen School is advertising UNLIMITED stay with its ED visas. I know most schools only off up to 3 or 5 years max. I suspect that you would have to keep learning a different language each 3 years, which seems kind of a waste of time and money. Also things like this might stir up some trouble for people (like me) who want a legitimate ED visa to actually 'study Thai language' as I need to speak Thai if I wish to make the most of my time in this country.

I've done a year at Pro Language and a year at Walen and 2 1 month courses at Payap. I've also sat in at AUA a few times and YMCA once. If you're really serious about learning Thai (you want to study a few hours every day - in class and on your own), I'd recommend Payap or AUA.

If you're somewhat serious (you want to study a few hours a few days a week (mostly in class) go to Pro Language or YMCA. (if u need the Visa, Pro) Your learning at Pro and YMCA will depend on the teacher a lot, so make sure you see the teacher in action.

If you really just want the Visa only, then I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they're established - i guess whichever one will give you the best price. TRY them all out - but remember, if you can't make heads or tails out of ANYTHING in the class and there's not much help from the teachers, then maybe try another place and/or try buying 5 or 6 hours first.

Great post! Also I wouldn't rule out another option, for people who aren't bothered about a visa: Visit a book store, get some books, learn to read and write and get your speaking skills from talking to loads and loads of Thai people. Does help if you have one or two good, smart and patient Thai friends who you can ask certain things, specifically things that you wouldn't get in books. (Or schools for that matter)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai