Retirement Extention - Dependant Spose & New Passport.

My wife and I, both British, will be applying for retirement extentions in the near future. We will be applying at Jomtien. I have some questions that I cannot find the answers to on old threads.

1. My wife's extention will be based on her being my dependant. Can I get this at the same time or do I need to get my extention first?
  2. Apart from a marriage certificate, presumably translated, does she need any additional documents?
  3. I need to renew my passport (running out of pages). If I renew my passport before I apply for the extention, can I use my old passport with the Non-O visa in it in the same way I can do when entering the Kingdom

Thanks for any advice.

1. They will do it at the same time, but officially it will be after you have your extension.

2. normally only proof of marriage is required

3. Apply for the extension first. Immigration will extend till the date the passport is valid. Before that date you return to immigration with your new passport and they will transfer the details and give you the rest of your 1 year extension for free.

1. You can get hers at the same time. They do yours first and then hers.

2. Yes the marriage certificate must be translated. Nothing more than what you will be showing minus financial proof.

3. If you have enough time left on your non-o entry you should get the new passport first. If you wait until after the extension that would mean another trip to immigration to have your extension transferred to the new passport. Immigration will accept your old passport with your visa entry stamp and your permit to stay stamps in it.

An exception for Thailand allows you to keep your old passport while the new one is being issued but it would not be valid for travel after it is cancelled

I read as passport will be valid for period of extension (only few pages remain). Extensions require a place to stamp so if room old passport can be used but if you have time to obtain new one you could take care of change and extension at the same visit.

Is your wife over or under 50 years of age? If former only a marriage certificate required to obtain spousal visa. If older, financials may be asked for ie. 800,000 in a sole account.

I speak from experience. For 5 years I obtained a dependents visa based on my husbands extension based on retirement. (prior to that I held a dependents visa based on my husbands work permit etc) Two years ago upon turning 50 I was told that I would have to apply for an extension of my own with my own financial support documents.

I have sought and received totally conflicting advise regarding this issue. Its become obvious that it is totally up to the immigration official to who one presents qualifying documents.

Also, be aware that bank statements must be in sole names. Joint accounts are not accepted.

There is no legal basis for not allowing dependent application and I am sure insistence would have allowed as long as living together as husband and wife with proof of marriage. But it is a lot easier for the office involved if using retirement/financials as a local decision.

As always, Lopburi3 is absolutely correct, but speaking as a woman, I think unless it's an financial hardhsip it's a good idea to maintain your own "retirement visa" rather than being considered as a dependent on your husband's.

I've seen too many friends whose husbands either died or (more often) disappeared into the sunset with Thai girlfriends. In any event, these guys weren't available when time came to renew the retirement extension for poor wifey.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Much appreciated.

As a result of internet searches, I now have one more silly question. Does the first 12 month extension start from the date of the last entry into Thailand or the date of the issue of the extension? A couple of sites suggested the former, which surprised me.

Thanks