Murder In Paradise

Buff-horns

Murder In Paradise

Updated: 14:06, Tuesday January 03, 2006

Like Katherine Horton, they had visited Thailand seeking fun and adventure in the sun.

Tragically, their lives were ended with the same terrible brutality.

Katherine, 21, a backpacker from Cardiff, was found dead by a jet-skier off Koh Samui beach, her head and body battered.

In the past five years, there has been a grim succession of Brits who found death in paradise.

August 2000:

Backpacker Kirsty Jones was raped and murdered in a guest house in Chiang Mai.

The 23-year-old, from Brecon, north Wales, was three months into a round-the-world trip when her strangled body was found in her £1-a-night room.

Police have never found the graduate's killer, but agreed to reinvestigate the case last year.

February 2003:

Ex-pat Arthur James Green, 63, was shot and stabbed at his home in the town of Ratchaburi.

Originally from Ripon, North Yorkshire, it is thought he was the victim of a botched robbery. His body was found dumped on a nearby riverbank.

Mr Green's wife was abducted but released unharmed. The couple, along with their son, emigrated in October 2001.

Two men were charged with his murder.

August 2003:

Primary school teacher Debra O'Hanlon, 31, from Kettering, Northamptonshire, was found dead at a guesthouse in Phuket.

She had travelled to meet her ex-boyfriend, who later gave himself up to police and confessed to the killing.

Miss O'Hanlon's body was found in the blood-soaked room of a Patong guesthouse where she was staying.

Her ex-boyfriend said the blood was his as he had slashed his wrists out of guilt.

September 2003:

Vanessa Arscott, 23, and boyfriend Adam Lloyd, 25, were murdered by policeman Somchai Visetsing in Kanchanaburi Province

Vanessa Arscott and Adam Lloyd

Mr Lloyd was shot dead after a row in a restaurant and his sweetheart was hit by a car, dragged along the road for over 200 metres and shot.

The couple had been travelling together for two months and were due to go home three days after their deaths.

Somchair, 40, is serving two life sentences but has appealed against his conviction. He had denied meeting the couple, but photographs showed him with the young lovers.

August 2004:

Backpacker Mark Lemetti, 24, was robbed and killed before his body was dumped in a rubber plantation near Sungai Kolok.

Born in Inverness, the graduate had been travelling for several weeks and was due to return home.

A man was charged with his murder.

December 2005:

James Edward Hall, 57, from Sunderland, was found dead in a bungalow near Chang Island's Sai Khoo beach.

Three men, said to be labourers aged 18-20 who were going to build a bar for him, were arrested and reportedly confessed to beating and robbing him.

Mr Hall arrived on the island in October 2005 and was a frequent visitor.

sky news

there are a few left off this list .

Murder In Paradise

Your point being..........?

Seven tragic deaths over five years, but I suggest if you trawl the newspapers in your home country over the last five years you will find far more incidents of foreigners being murdered on visits than here in Thailand.

As much as I feel for the people involved, and they have my deepest sympathy, these awful events are being blown totally out of proportion against similar events in virtually every other country in the world.

Murder In Paradise

Your point being..........?

Seven tragic deaths over five years, but I suggest if you trawl the newspapers in your home country over the last five years you will find far more incidents of foreigners being murdered on visits than here in Thailand.

As much as I feel for the people involved, and they have my deepest sympathy, these awful events are being blown totally out of proportion against similar events in virtually every other country in the world.

I'm sorry, but disagree.

Last night there was a 1 1/2 hour program on TV in my homecountry about a brutal rape-murder case which dates back to 1992....they never found the killer(s) and this program was intented to try and find the one(s) who did this. The girl was also 19 years old....

They even spread more than 50.000 full colour flyers in the area (after 13 1/2 years of the murdercase!!!) in the mere hope that they still can find the murderer(s).

There could not be enough attention to such a horrible crime like this, whether on Samui or any other country; the more people know about it the better the chance to find the killer(s).

I wonder what you would say if it was 1 of your children (if you have one) and there was just silence about that case... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo