Manchester United

redrus

I'll second that last quote about Keane that night. He put in a magnificent performance. No comparisons to Gazza's tears please!

Twas a magical night nearly as good as the final,i was lucky enough to have been at both smile.gif

I like this one.....

9. “My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fuc_king perch. And you can print that.”(Sir Alex Ferguson responding to Alan Hansen questioning Sir Alex Ferguson’s future as Manchester United manager in September 2002 in the Guardian.)

Patrice Evra may not be available this Sat v Sunderland. Apparently he received news before the City game that his brother ,42 , had died of a heart attack which explains his rather poor performance against City.

Smalling ,Cleverley, Young ,Owen definately out. Anderson,Carrick,Giggs,Raphael very doubtfull.Bit of a aquad tester.

Nice video tributes,on 25 years, to SAF on BBC web site today if anyone interested.

Uniteds team today hopefully...Still a strong side with maybe Valencia in place of Hernandez....amazingly we have 10 players unavailable today due to one thing or another!

DDG

Jones

Ferdinand

Vidic

Fabio

Nani

Fletcher

Park

Wellbeck

Hernandez

Rooney

Very ordinary yesterday,Rooney needs to be more forward hopefully it was the occasion of Fergies 25 years that got to the players rolleyes.gif +1 another clean sheet!

Nice to see them name the old north stand after him....

stand_2047483c.jpg

This shocked me and it must be a worry to you lot. United are number one in the whole premiership to have the mosts shots on their goal. City are 19th and Chelsea 20th

Source:- http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-10-25/target-practice-which-goalkeeper-has-worked-harder-anyone-else-season?p=9

Oh BTW didnt this statistic strike anyone as odd. It certainly did me. (Man Utd have faced the most shots at goal and are 2nd, City and Chelsea faced the least and are 1st and 4th.)

I always thought there was a fairly rational explanation but I didnt check it until I saw one web site decide that Gea was the best goalkeeper in the league because he had faced the most shots and at least until the City game let in very few goals.

The simple explanation is this. Gea is perceived as being vulnerable to long shots, so essentially all the teams have been taking pot shots at him from outside the area. The chances of scoring from outside the area are approximately 1/30 and inside the area about 1/7. Perhaps the best example is the Spurs match (it would be on the basis that I think Spurs have the highest percentage scoring record outside the area in the league last year - a bit of a guess that, I am sure Carmine or Smokie know that one.)

Anyway Spurs had the most attempts on goal against Utd (I think) this season - 21. (The average for the all league clubs this season is 14.9). But of those 21, 7 were taken inside the area and 14 from outside (66%)). Most clubs take most shots from inside the area - quite sensibly. Anyway taking pot shots at Gea doesnt make him the best goalkeeper nor does it make Man U have the most vulnerable defense.

Abrak-i would be more concerned with how jittery your spanish keeper is at the moment-at least he kept a clean sheet at home though. ;)

Don't understand you here james. I reckon Reina's arguably the best keeper in the league.

Abrak-i would be more concerned with how jittery your spanish keeper is at the moment-at least he kept a clean sheet at home though. ;)

Don't understand you here james. I reckon Reina's arguably the best keeper in the league.

laugh.gif

Obviously you didnt see the highlights from Swansea - thought for a moment there they had Doni in goal.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Very ordinary yesterday,Rooney needs to be more forward hopefully it was the occasion of Fergies 25 years that got to the players rolleyes.gif +1 another clean sheet!

Nice to see them name the old north stand after him....

stand_2047483c.jpg

Apparently, the S in Ferguson was upside down.... :blink:

redrus

That explains the result last night then mate,hope your keeping well? wink.gif

Haha, apparently, they've put it right now, the sign I mean.... ;)

I'm good mate, enjoying the British weather and, not missing Thailand one bit, not one iota, not a sausage, not one one tiny weeny truffle, not one wee Ooooooooh, who the <deleted> am I trying to kid..... :rolleyes:

Hope you're well to pal..?

That explains the result last night then mate,hope your keeping well? wink.gif

Haha, apparently, they've put it right now, the sign I mean.... ;)

I'm good mate, enjoying the British weather and, not missing Thailand one bit, not one iota, not a sausage, not one one tiny weeny truffle, not one wee Ooooooooh, who the <deleted> am I trying to kid..... :rolleyes:

Hope you're well to pal..?

Haha... yes pal the weather is the real bummer this time of year their,the one thing i miss though are al those xmas parties not the next day regrets though smile.gif keep your head down mate and stuck into what you are doing the master plan will happen! biggrin.gif gutted City getting spanked last night wanted them in the knock out stages even if it is to put more pressure on Mancini,i can feel the pressure building in him already laugh.gif I am going to start a City in decline thread for New Year!

Red Army jap.gif

gutted City getting spanked last night

No Red. If you saw the game you would have seen it was far from a spanking. A draw would have been a fair result. If you really think that was a spanking, what does that make our derby last month?

I am going to start a City in decline thread for New Year!

I think you misunderstand the idea of the "decline" thread. First, we have to have been somewhere to decline from. :D

Sorry i didn't see the game but a defeat is a spanking in my book,you have been at the top of the tree for a few months and won an FA Cup biggrin.gif just trying to stoke the fire.

You was once something,Bell,Summerbee among the greats.

On This Day: Babes' debut

The term 'Busby Babes' was first coined 60 years ago when United boss Sir Matt Busby handed debuts to Roger Byrne and Jackie Blanchflower.

After the young duo played in the goalless draw with Liverpool on 24 November 1951, a newspaper headline used the 'Busby Babes' nickname and it stuck - even if Sir Matt preferred 'Red Devils'.

Byrne, then 22, went on to establish himself in the 1951/52 title-winning team as a left winger but he was a revered full-back and captain of the club by the time of the Munich air disaster in 1958. Blanchflower, who was only 18, made his debut at wing-half (midfield) but was noted for his versatility and even kept goal in the 1957 FA Cup final after Ray Wood was injured.

Blanchflower may have had to wait until April for his next league appearance, but the seeds had still been sown by the manager to invest his faith in youth. In 1955/56, United won the league again, this time with the majority of players aged in their early 20s.

The disaster in Germany tragically took Byrne's life and ended Blanchflower's career due to the injuries he sustained in the crash. Their contributions to the United cause will never be forgotten.

You was once something,Bell,Summerbee among the greats.

But since then we declined to lowest of the low and into the old third devision. Now the Blue Moon is rising :D

Essentially the problem I have (and I do have a bias against City) is that you are not really a club in that you are simply a team that is kept afloat by Mansour absorbing your losses. Mansour has the club on his life support which renders you not a City supporter but a Mansour fan. And a Mansour fan club is well simply that.

Dont worry Bo I know you dont get to choose your owners.

Unlike a lot of supporters though I prefer Abromavich to Mansour. You see in some respects Abromavich is quite sporting and in return for his millions of support he creates a handicap for Chelsea. He does this by constantly interfering, buying players, swapping managers every year etc. It sort of gives others a chance. Mansour does none of that and has the business professionally managed. And say before deciding not to buy Jones in the summer they had accumulated 14 different scouting reports.

Good game yesterday spoilt by a very bad decision from the assistant,saying that the defending from Newcastle was unbelievable at times.

The offside at the end was a bitter blow as i think we deserved the win but hey ho a point closer to our rivals.

Essentially the problem I have (and I do have a bias against City) is that you are not really a club in that you are simply a team that is kept afloat by Mansour absorbing your losses. Mansour has the club on his life support which renders you not a City supporter but a Mansour fan. And a Mansour fan club is well simply that.

Unlike a lot of supporters though I prefer Abromavich to Mansour. You see in some respects Abromavich is quite sporting and in return for his millions of support he creates a handicap for Chelsea. He does this by constantly interfering, buying players, swapping managers every year etc. It sort of gives others a chance. Mansour does none of that and has the business professionally managed. And say before deciding not to buy Jones in the summer they had accumulated 14 different scouting reports.

Your "bias" is becoming an obsession Abrak. I've just looked at your last 20 posts and you mention City or Mansour at least once in 13 of those last 20 posts. Of the 7 you didn't mention City, 2 of them were in the City thread anyway.

You are also owned by foreigners but because ours have more money than yours, you feel this is a terrible wrong on our part. You really are sounding like an extremely jealous person whose view point is totally tainted by your obsession.

For info, I know we don't get to choose our owners but I'm quite happy with them. One of the reasons is for the very point you mention in red above.

Your "bias" is becoming an obsession Abrak. I've just looked at your last 20 posts and you mention City or Mansour at least once in 13 of those last 20 posts. Of the 7 you didn't mention City, 2 of them were in the City thread anyway.

You are also owned by foreigners but because ours have more money than yours, you feel this is a terrible wrong on our part. You really are sounding like an extremely jealous person whose view point is totally tainted by your obsession.

For info, I know we don't get to choose our owners but I'm quite happy with them. One of the reasons is for the very point you mention in red above.

Actually my objection to Mansour is a bit like my objection to Abromavich. Essentially Mansour has spent approximately US$1000 by head of population of the country'w wealth on absorbing City's losses. From a classical economics sense which deals very little with the distribution of wealth Mansour is assumed not to exist on the basis that a person who spends a US$1bn in a business with large negative returns is assumed to be too stupid to have US$1bn in the first place. Obviously the concept of Mansour is dealt with in great detail in Marxist economics where in the long run he is put against a wall and shot.

Also you see losing 200m quid to win the Premiership as a Cup you have won, I can only see it as US$200m you have lost. I mention City because they are winning the League by ruining the game by turning it into the unacceptable face of capitalism. Simply spending whatever it takes to win the League is not sport it is a very destructive and stupid game. So if I have given the impression that I am jealous that I dont have a Mansour financing huge spend for Liverpool I clearly havent put my point across. He maybe extremely wealthy but he is morally bankrupt.

I have nothing against foreigners owning football clubs but I do object to Mansour owning, controlling and wasting his country's wealth especially on a game of fantasy football. I suspect our political opinions diverge somewhat.

Edited by Abrak