Manchester United

redrus

It was disappointing that the players he picked never performed but you also have to give credit to Palace they never stopped and i thought deserved the win in the end,James i don't think is deflecting anything at all he is just stating the facts as i also so them last night,spot on James.

Anyway it was only the Milk Cup wink.gif

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson apologised to fans for his team's display in their 2-1 Carling Cup quarter-final loss to Crystal Palace.

What a crock!

When you're as far a the quarter finals, don't be smug and pick your best team, if only for the thousands of fans that pay good money to support you - the players 100,000 + pay checks will keep their legs going twice in a week.

It's surely a matter for us thousands of Man United fans who pay good money, to complain and vent, should we feel the way you think we should.

What is it with this complaining on behalf of other fans? Never understood that. Do i care if Liverpool (or the club you support) short change their fans, or are seen to by those outside the club? Nope. Why should i? Surely Liverpool fans can speak for themselves and don't need me telling them how they should be feeling, and when they should be aggrieved. Right?

Not gonna reply to the silly comments, save to say, we do not treat the Carling Cup with contempt, we have a massive fixture list and squad rotation is par for the course, well, it is for the clubs that win trophies anyway...!

The Carling Cup maybe 'The Milk Cup' and worthless to some but, it suddenly becomes more than that, a lot more than that, when its the only thing left and, United have been there before.... :ph34r:

The Carling Cup is the perfect stage/ground for our youngsters to get out there and show, or not show as was the case last night, what they can do.. They will be enormously disappointed with last night and, that will only make them stronger and, more hungry..!!

Funny how no one slags off Arsene Wenger when he plays his youngsters in The CC, eh...... Hypocritical is a word that springs to mind....

:jap:

redrus

Not gonna reply to the silly comments, save to say, we do not treat the Carling Cup with contempt, we have a massive fixture list and squad rotation is par for the course, well, it is for the clubs that win trophies anyway...!

The Carling Cup maybe 'The Milk Cup' and worthless to some but, it suddenly becomes more than that, a lot more than that, when its the only thing left and, United have been there before.... :ph34r:

The Carling Cup is the perfect stage/ground for our youngsters to get out there and show, or not show as was the case last night, what they can do.. They will be enormously disappointed with last night and, that will only make them stronger and, more hungry..!!

Funny how no one slags off Arsene Wenger when he plays his youngsters in The CC, eh...... Hypocritical is a word that springs to mind....

redrus

RR spot on the money as usual.

All United fans i know, understand why we field the so called weakened teams we do, at certain times, such as last night, and fully support the decision. It's all about prioritising. Happier to field the team we did last night and lose, than field our strongest side and win, but at the cost of injuries to Rooney and Vidic.

P.S. Anybody know if Berba was subbed cos injured or cos crap?

redrus

You mean 'selectively critical' I think. It would be hypocritical if an Arsenal fan criticised the SAF policy. I see no Arsenal fans doing that.

I agree with Wenger's strategy this year and I salute SAF being even more straightforward in pre-advising his strategy. Surely the fans of both clubs know what to expect and are happy to see the potential talent teams. Both clubs got very good attendances for what is otherwise a mediocre competition - it's only worth to the bigger teams is as a test bed. If the authorities decided to pull a Wolves/Blackpool threat on Arsenal and Man U iI hope they would have the balls to boycott the pesky thing. There's far too much football played by the top clubs as it is!

Was a little surprised that SAF thought he needed to apologise. No doubt he thought the team he picked was well strong enough to overcome CP (whereas Wenger could have had no such confidence and he in fact played a much more obvious 'don't-care-if-I-lose- the-game card). Managers cannot legislate if their boys don't come good on the night.

playing your kids in the league cup is fine when you win. it only becomes a problem when you lose, particularly to lower division opposition.

Also a problem when you play your best player and they end up getting injured for the season.

playing your kids in the league cup is fine when you win. it only becomes a problem when you lose, particularly to lower division opposition.

Also a problem when you play your best player and they end up getting injured for the season.

So are we now saying that they are a 2 player team ;):D

redrus

RR spot on the money as usual.

All United fans i know, understand why we field the so called weakened teams we do, at certain times, such as last night, and fully support the decision. It's all about prioritising. Happier to field the team we did last night and lose, than field our strongest side and win, but at the cost of injuries to Rooney and Vidic.

P.S. Anybody know if Berba was subbed cos injured or cos crap?

Welcome back Rix!! We'll recall the search party now.

I was "trying" to explain on the Spurs thread about how we had to prioritise and that this was the only realistic way of achieving our "main" goals and as the silly replies came flying in i became more convinced. The injury to the very impressive young Lucas at Liverpool hightlighting major injuries, and general tiredness to sguads, fixture congestion etc etc.

I'll very happy with the way Redknapp has prioritised. Carling with borderline contempt, europa as a useful tool to improve the youngsters and match practice for those coming back from injury. We'll give it a real go in the FA cup and keep going full on for the CL top four. We know our limits. Maybe Dalglish, for example knows Liverpools and is going for very winnable bit of silverware in the carling. He may well be a wise man. The injury to Lucas is a huge blow for them and their CL prospects but he's already close to a trophy regardless. Compair that to Wenger that blows out of everything in predictable fashion every season.

Me, i'll be made up with 3rd in the league for auto CL qualification (ofcourse 4th will do too!!) and a good run in the FA cup.

Edited by carmine

..... Compair that to Wenger that blows out of everything in predictable fashion every season .....

Been on holiday on a remote island for the last week have we Carmine? Now you boys are back in the big league you'll eventually have to put up with the same tired outdated old jibes that Man U and Arsenal have had to endure for the last couple of decades (or is it 4?), while you lot were all mouth and trousers :rolleyes:

Welcome back Rix!! We'll recall the search party now.

Thanks for welcome back carmine - nice to be missed! I've been lying on a beach for the last month. I did wonder, on one of those lazy afternoons, with the wind gently cooling my prone body, with the sound of crashing waves in my ears - as well as the drone and the shrieks from the passing banana boats - what a visiting alien would make of my situation. Desperately fleeing the rising water in my home in the middle of the night, clutching a few bags of belongs, travelling a couple of hundred kilometres, and placing myself right alongside a massive body of rising and falling water, into which i would occasionally plunge.

Anyway, good to be back, even if still a homeless vagabond. Trust everyone here is in fine fettle - excepting of course those whose fettle has never been right.

..... Compair that to Wenger that blows out of everything in predictable fashion every season .....

Been on holiday on a remote island for the last week have we Carmine? Now you boys are back in the big league you'll eventually have to put up with the same tired outdated old jibes that Man U and Arsenal have had to endure for the last couple of decades (or is it 4?), while you lot were all mouth and trousers :rolleyes:

:huh: Where have you been and when was the last time Arse won any silverware? You'd need a good memory wouldn't you, remote island or inner city.

We won silverware in 2008 ;)

Next........

Feel sorry already for my staff today.

Vidic injury looks bad.

Only upside is won't have to listen to mr bj etc drone on about whatever it is they drone on about.

I will also get more sleep cause I sure as f__k am not gonna be waking up to watch us play in the b division! ;)

Well, we were the better team last night, but lacked spark and failed to take our chances - whereas they took the few that came their way. Congrats to them for that.

Regrets at being knocked out? Nah, not really. We may have been the better team, but was that a Man United performance to be proud of, or a performance with which to take forward in the competition? Absolutely not. There is no doubt in my mind, that we simply would not have got close to winning the competition this year, so in a way, why bother with the distraction? Why not concentrate our efforts on what we do stand a chance of winning?

A bigger regret for me about last night was that City did not progress. Could have helped us in the league battle had they, and of course now, sod's law says we'll meet each other in the Europa.

Well, we were the better team last night, but lacked spark and failed to take our chances - whereas they took the few that came their way. Congrats to them for that.

Regrets at being knocked out? Nah, not really. We may have been the better team, but was that a Man United performance to be proud of, or a performance with which to take forward in the competition? Absolutely not. There is no doubt in my mind, that we simply would not have got close to winning the competition this year, so in a way, why bother with the distraction? Why not concentrate our efforts on what we do stand a chance of winning?

A bigger regret for me about last night was that City did not progress. Could have helped us in the league battle had they, and of course now, sod's law says we'll meet each other in the Europa.

Good points there but i reckon that City's continued participation in any competition will help you. Ferguson is much more experienced at juggling europe and the league. I'm not so sure it will be enough but it will certainly help.

Did I just feel the earth move?

The British challenge in the Champions League is looking a bit woeful this year. I don't see Arsenal lasting too much longer, although the two teams that the Mancunians have let through gives us a good chance of one more round at least. Sorry to see any English teams exit and particularly sorry to see the available slots in the Premier League narrow to two. The Premier League's proud boast to be the no 1 league in Europe looks a bit thin this year.

Astonishing to see a Reds fan say he's not bothered to be out of the Champions League, obviously he did not feel the earth move. On current form the FA Cup is all that's left to ManU (there's still a long way to go, but City look increasingly capable of emulating the Highbury invincibles).

Cue Mr Red to tell us that it's still not time to dust down that 'Demise of Manchester United thread' :whistling:. Feels like the box needs to at least be brought down from the attic to me! How does SAF reflect on this personally is critical to whether the earthquake follows or not.

Astonishing to see a Reds fan say he's not bothered to be out of the Champions League, obviously he did not feel the earth move.

It bothers me that we didn't deserve to be in it, which we didn't, but why should it bother me to be out? We got what we deserved. If i felt we were the best team in the competition, but fate had conspired against us, that would be bothersome. Alas not.