Restaurant Jobs For Americans

tonysilly

There are certain restrictions on what jobs foreigners can do, suggest you look into that.

Also work would require a Work Permit, although many do work without it, a restaurant is a place where you will be noticed by everyone, and someone might just say something.

Edited by beano2274

it is illegal and jobs like restaurant work are exclusively for Thais. Not a hope in hell you will get a job. Even farang owners of bars and restaurants are banned from working. You'll regularly read about owners being busted.

Places like Samui and Phuket have farangs flogging time share which seem to be legal. Just how legal I don't know. Money speaks volumes in certain places. But never in restaurants.

Enjoy your vacation.

I am a farang owner of a restaurant and I have a work permit and work in my establishment with the blessing of the authorities. I never have to pay tea money at all, just do the right thing and you will not have a problem.

I am a farang owner of a restaurant and I have a work permit and work in my establishment with the blessing of the authorities. I never have to pay tea money at all, just do the right thing and you will not have a problem.

Wow, where abouts. I am in Loei and will come and try. I've worked in Thailand for 10 years and your the first farang restaurant owner who I've heard can work. There's hope yet. Even the guys who own Aussie Pub in Bangla Phuket can't work and they employ about 40 staff. Another mate in Samui had a bar restaurant with 10 staff, no debt etc couldn't work.

Wow, where abouts. I am in Loei and will come and try. I've worked in Thailand for 10 years and your the first farang restaurant owner who I've heard can work. There's hope yet. Even the guys who own Aussie Pub in Bangla Phuket can't work and they employ about 40 staff. Another mate in Samui had a bar restaurant with 10 staff, no debt etc couldn't work.

As long as your WP says 'consultant' or 'trainer' then you could - teaching the Thai staff to cook farang food. Many foreign chefs in the higher end restaurants in Pattaya, they even advertise the fact.

Years ago knew a guy with a management consultant WP, he went from bar to bar running other peoples bars when they went away. WP was not area or employer specific. He would come hang the WP on the wall, never seemed to have a problem. That was on Samui. Jim

I also know another farang bar owner with a work permit as a bar owner.

If you are an American and you open a business investing a minimum of 2 million baht and employ 4 people you can get a work permit.

Rather simplistic, there is a very long list of occupations which you cannot get a work permit for.

The OP was looking for employment not starting a business, and as such has very limited (if any) options. I know a few farang 'bar managers' but you would have to have experience in this field for someone to hire you. You will also get paid peanuts.

it is illegal and jobs like restaurant work are exclusively for Thais. Not a hope in hell you will get a job. Even farang owners of bars and restaurants are banned from working. You'll regularly read about owners being busted.

Places like Samui and Phuket have farangs flogging time share which seem to be legal. Just how legal I don't know. Money speaks volumes in certain places. But never in restaurants.

Enjoy your vacation.

I do wish that folks wouldn't go on about things they haven't a clue towards.

Skilled Western culinarians can surely acquire "legal" employment throughout the hospitality industries in Thailand.

Enjoy your vacation.

Are you sure? Any number of hotels, especially in BKK have farang managers and chefs.

• Like 1

I believe the reason for the seemingly contradictory answers in this thread is because the OP hasn't stated exactly what kind of job it is he would be looking for.

He says he is really talented in his field. If that means as a chef or as a manager, and he really has the skills and the experience he claims, then I believe it would be both possible and legal for him to find a job. His best chances would IMHO probably be in places like Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Phuket/Pattaya rather than Isan though. If he is talking about work as a waiter or a bartender on the other hand, then that is where the restricted jobs list comes into play.

Also, the OP wants to come for "a while". If a while is a few months, then I don't think anyone would hire him as a manager or chef either, no matter how talented he is. Surely, the owner of the restaurant would want someone willing to stay for the foreseeable future to ensure some sort of continuity for his business.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Sophon

Enjoy your vacation.

Are you sure? Any number of hotels, especially in BKK have farang managers and chefs.

Indeed.

In the larger cities and expected resort and touristed areas.

Most of the "international" styled hotels retain Farang culinary professionals.

I'm the jack all all trade :) I help and run the front of the house. From proper service in casual restaurant to fine dining. I'm a Mixologist and I set up bars the proper way and is known as the king of Mojitos :) most restaurant/bars worry about the bottom line. I try to set standards and love to teach staff about making a difference..

There are certain restrictions on what jobs foreigners can do, suggest you look into that.

Also work would require a Work Permit, although many do work without it, a restaurant is a place where you will be noticed by everyone, and someone might just say something.

No problem if you apprenticed under a famous chef a[ 5 star ]

I'm the jack all all trade :) I help and run the front of the house. From proper service in casual restaurant to fine dining. I'm a Mixologist and I set up bars the proper way and is known as the king of Mojitos :) most restaurant/bars worry about the bottom line. I try to set standards and love to teach staff about making a difference..

In that case.... not a hope of getting legal employment here in Thailand. Good luck though :)

sent from my Wellcom A90+

There are Westerners working legally in restaurants in Chiang Mai. There are a number of owners, some cooks and some managers who have work permits.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek about the OP training staff and makings a difference. TIT after all.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

As an afterthought, it is sad to see posters here in TV perpetuating the 'farang' tag. Being a bit pedantic, I can name any number of 'farang', assuming they are qualified, who can get work in any job description in the Kingdom.

Likewise, any number of non-'farang' would also be restricted from working in certain professions.

So often here we also read posts claiming that 'farang' cannot own land.

I wonder if those who use the 'farang can't ...' are the ones who object so strenuously to being called .. 'farang'.

I do wish that folks wouldn't go on about things they haven't a clue towards.

Skilled Western culinarians can surely acquire "legal" employment throughout the hospitality industries in Thailand.

You are so right. Numerous western chefs work here legally.

Top notch hotel managers and so on.

Not only culinary experts but also managers in "those" bars work with WP.

Ask Larry from Secrets Bar/Hotel in Pattaya whether he works without WP and get a big laughter.

Ask Rick from Babydolls and get another big laughter.

Edited by KhunBENQ