Dogs In Danger In Bangkok

Lite Beer

PETS

Dogs in danger in Bangkok

Laurie Rosenthal

The Nation on Sunday June 10, 2012 1:00 am

30183814-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- When canines are dinner in another culture, not even pets are safe

On the bulletin board at my vet's, you can always see notices of lost dogs of all sizes and breeds.

The announcements tell heart-breaking stories, about dogs who disappeared from gardens or patios, or after wandering the soi at night, they never returned in the morning.

Where did they go? Where are they now?

On my soi, I've never worried about the dogs. The soi is a dead end, most of the neighbours know each other, and everyone knows which dog belongs in which home.

A few weeks ago, an ordinary Thai dog appeared on our soi. I'd never seen him before, but he was friendly and gentle and made friends immediately with my poodle Wan-Wan. In my mind I named him "Chuckie". He had a leather collar around his neck, and I looked around to find out who owned him.

Then one of the neighbours told me that no one owned the dog. Everyone was feeding him, and finally someone had put the collar on him.

"We just want people to think he has an owner," she explained. "We don't want anyone to steal him and eat him."

On our soi, who would steal a dog?

Then one evening, I hear my neighbour Khun J out on the soi. She's a small person, but she has a powerful yell.

When I look outside, I see her screaming at a workman who's been helping to renovate a house down the soi. I also see her dog Mee, a part-chow, just wandering around the soi by herself.

Normally J takes Mee for a walk in the evening. She tries to control Mee with a leash, but Mee is a muscular dog who does what she wants, and J just follows along.

This evening, after the usual walk, J sends Mee inside her patio, then turns to sweep up what Mee left behind.

She doesn't close the gate properly, however, and clever Mee simply returns to the soi, this time without a leash.

Then the workman appears.

He's not very popular. Every night after work, he gets drunk. No one knows what he's saying, though, because he's not Thai.

What surprises me is that Mee, so aggressive in her own home, is friendly and charming on the soi. She goes up to the workman to say hello.

The drunken man has other plans.

He's prepared a rope and is now trying to catch Mee.

The sight of the rope sends J into a rage. "What are you doing?" she yells. "That's my dog! Stay away from my dog."

The man, not knowing Thai, doesn't understand what she's saying. He stands there in confusion, trying to smile.

Finally a friend of his who knows both languages tries to explain. "He didn't mean anything," this friend tells J. "He just wants to eat the dog."

Call it a clash of cultures, a different sort of interpretation of the word "ownership" and "dog".

J screams again, and Mee, for the first time in her life, obeys the command to go inside her home.

The drunken man no longer works in the soi, and J makes sure that Mee doesn’t escape, but I still worry. I haven't seen Chuckie for a week now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-10

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is a clash of cultures. We need to remind ourselves that although they dress like modern people, drive motor vehicles and have access to other modern conveniences, some cultures are still living with a 1st century primative mentality..."If it has 4 legs, it's food".

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

It's heart breaking to lose a pet, really heartbreaking. The problem in Thailand though is that dogs are allowed to be a pest.

There should be a cull of soi dogs, and more taught about responsible ownership. That would be a good start.

Although not Bkk, they actually have a service up here in Phitsanulok where you can contact City Hall and get the dog catchers sent out if there is a problem with strays.

All they need now is the responsible ownership lectures; that indeed would be a good start!

It's heart breaking to lose a pet, really heartbreaking. The problem in Thailand though is that dogs are allowed to be a pest.

There should be a cull of soi dogs, and more taught about responsible ownership. That would be a good start.

I must admit I have run out of patience with irresponsible dog owners (Thai & Farang) who find nothing wrong in allowing their dog/s to bark/yap all day & night as well as letting out their dog/s to deficate in the street. Even with large dogs they do not take them out for exercise to reduce stress for the "pet". When complaining usual response is "not your business it's my dog". As I said both Thai & Farang. Unfortunately nothing you can do legally in Thailand, so have to go through the expense and inconvenience of re-locating.

I must admit I have run out of patience with irresponsible dog owners (Thai & Farang) who find nothing wrong in allowing their dog/s to bark/yap all day & night as well as letting out their dog/s to deficate in the street. Even with large dogs they do not take them out for exercise to reduce stress for the "pet". When complaining usual response is "not your business it's my dog". As I said both Thai & Farang. Unfortunately nothing you can do legally in Thailand, so have to go through the expense and inconvenience of re-locating.

I have to agree with you. This problem of irresponsibiltiy is universal. If someone decides to have a pet (or a child for that matter), s/he should be responsible enough to care for it's welfare and assure that it isn't an incovenience to their community. Unfortunately, it appears that every nation has a segment of its population that believes it can do whatever it wants with what is considered "property". Only when they solve their major economic, health and other general welfare problems are they able to focus on animal welfare. As some have said: "A culture's degree of civilization can be measured on how well they treat their animals".

Ironic this story and above posted solution are in close proximity to the 2 political issues on today's TV front page. Yes, a slow news day, but sometimes the coorelation is amusing.

Welcome to the Soi Dog Supporters News! ... ( June, 2012)

This month we've got sad & happy stories. Read about the "Trade of Shame" & how you can help. Also lovely happy endings for adopted dogs, plus all our regular features & even a new Dog Cookie business! . Enjoy...John, Gill & the Soi Dog Team

Every day over 1,000 dogs are inhumanely transported from Thailand to neighbouring countries where they are butchered by cruel and barbaric methods. However, the Soi Dog Foundation and the Thai government are actively working to end this appalling practice & progress is being made. Soi Dog with other animal welfare groups has presented draft legislation to the Thai Parliament for strong animal welfare laws to be enacted.

This tragic trade is condemned by the majority of Thailand’s population. However the practice still continues. Only through your help can this inhumane action stop.

In late 2011 arrests were made in the north-eastern province of Nakhom Phanom with more than 1,000 dogs rescued from tiny cages. Four trucks were intercepted attempting to smuggle the dogs out of the country. The dogs, stacked high in metal cages were being transported to Vietnam for slaughter and consumption. 119 had already died of suffocation in the cramped cages!

In early January of 2012 a Thai navy patrol caught a gang of dog smugglers on the shore of the Mekong River in Nakhon Phanom province. At least 750 dogs in small, rusty cages on a truck near a ferry ready to take them across the river to Laos were rescued. One Thai man was arrested on charges including illegal transportation of animals, while the other smugglers escaped.

After a crackdown on dog traders in Sakon Nakhon's Tha Rae district, Boonthai Wannaphrom confessed that he had detained 5,000 dogs to be sold to buyers in Vietnam. He was initially sentenced to eight months in jail and Bt75,000 in fines, but the court decided to halve his sentence because of his confession. Boonthai was also found to have violated the Animal Epidemic Act.

These recent incidences have captured the world’s attention and with your help this practice can be stopped! You can help Soi Dog and the Thai government eliminate the pain and suffering of hundreds of thousands of dogs. Please donate today & help us continue trying to abolish this shameful trade.

Edited by Rimmer
Please see rule 25. Use the PM function to contact the member

30183814-01_big.jpg

I wouldn't eat this scrot if you paid me 500K ! It'd just be like trying to suck on a chicken's foot! bah.gif

-mel.

I would eat that dog for 400,000 baht.

Yeah! But you'd eat anything for 400K..... FOODLOVER cheesy.gif

I remember eating dog, in HongKong, and the custom was to spit the bones onto the rotating table once you'd sucked off the meat.

The table came round to me, and there was huge mound of bones.

I though, "Shame! sad.png ... Dog would'ha' loved them!!" clap2.gif

-mel. wink.png

Edit: Come to think of it, I'd eat that dog for 20k........ anybody any lower?

Edited by MEL1

In the Ban Phe area you have holidaymakers who leave their dogs on the beach when there's already a big problem with stray dogs and everybody feeds the puppies which causes the alpha dogs to get agressive. I have had a lot of problems with dogs after dark when they wake up after lying in the streets all day but it's not just soi dogs, so many owners have ignored their dogs getting aggressive towards me and there will be payback soon. (rat poison + paracetomol). It is a big problem here and I would pay these people to come and take them to Vietnam as nobody seems bothered about the problem. They could feed the dogs contraceptives, they did a similar thing with rabies by feeding them anti-biotics as I understand it.

A tip when you're looking to rent a house, go there after dark and see if it's still quiet as I rented one place and it was a nightmare at night with all the barking dogs.

• Like 1

30183814-01_big.jpg

I wouldn't eat this scrot if you paid me 500K ! It'd just be like trying to suck on a chicken's foot! bah.gif

-mel.

I remember eating dog, in HongKong, and the custom was to spit the bones onto the rotating table once you'd sucked off the meat.

-mel. wink.png

I'd eat that dog for 19,000 baht.

(Tell the wife and kids howdy!)biggrin.png

Edited by FOODLOVER

When I moved to Thailand I popped into the Vet to register the microchips already implanted in my dogs in Hong Kong. The microchips details are linked to my passport so no matter where I moved in Hong Kong, they knew who owned them. I was told by the vet in Thailand that the government actively discourage microchipping (she even asked if I wanted them removed!). I was shocked, said no, contacted the company in Hong Kong for what it was worth and registered my new location.

The easy way to stop Thai's acting like scum with regards to pets (fair weather pets, let be honest) is to force compulsory chipping, and then, give the police scanners. They would love it as it would give them lots and lots of opportunities to get some tea money (extort money from owners of non chipped dogs). I do not think the police would ever actually do anything other than steal peoples money however, if the price of the chips were cheap enough, and the sums demanded by the cops were more each time, then eventually more and more would be chipped. Coupled with making it illegal to sell a pet without a chip implanted, so all the dim witted fashion girlies could be held accountable when their pooch shits on their fake LV hand bag and they chuck it out the door, this would have an impact. The Charities could then spend more money on education and sterylising of strays and eventually the problem would be manageable.

Never going to happen though. No doubt some politicians and coppers make far too much money from the dog meat trade to ever want to combat it. As it stands, my dogs are never left out alone, never off the leash, and always cleaned up after they do their business. There are simple ways to stop this barbaric trade and the other dog related issues but there is no real appetite to combat it. Just a few very good people pissing against the wind of Thai "mai mee, not my problem, I don't care, don't want to lose face" attitude that has been drummed into them for a century.

Thailand has ID cards. They can easily get the scanners and chips made in Thailand creating jobs and a new industry. The cops and politicians would make money from it. True could link them up so on channel 999 you could see a map where your dog is (for a fee), less soi dogs, less pressure on BF's to buy their brainless bimbettes a new puppy every 2 months; the dog farms would be crippled out of business by the cost of implanting and only regulated breeders would exist.... so many positives from one simple action.

I would assume that the HiSo Thai elite (mostly Chinese) have a guilty little secret though; apart from loving the money they reap from the trade, the fill their dinner table as well.

Lets see we have topics on irresponsible drivers, walkers, motorbike riders, homeowners, and now dog owners. If they are irresponsible with everything else why should anyone expect them to take care of their dogs.

Edited by moe666

In America, only the poorest, dumbest people go without sterilizing their pets. I love the nine paragraph "easy fix" posted above, but obviously if people aren't getting their pets fixed on their own they don't really care. I've seen more dog balls in a few months than I have my entire life in America.

I, for one, like how there are stray animals everywhere. Might as well start complaining that there are stray people everywhere - they're much more annoying than animals. And, as I said, for the problem to get this bad, no one's had the guts to make an issue of it.

• Like 1

In the U.S.A., Florida state; it is mandatory that all dogs be registered and receive rabies vaccines done on an annual basis. In addition Florida has a leash law that states all dogs that are outside of thier residence must be kept on a leash, i.e. dogs are not allowed to roam freely........

Thailand has the same laws regarding registration and annual rabies vaccinations, however for many reasons the Thai dog owners do not comply with the laws, one of which is that the laws are not enforced.

And so, dog owners will continue to be absent in thier duties as pet owners leaving their pets to their own demise , being a burden on society......... If these pet owners are not going to take care of their pets they shouldn't have them, and the dogs would be better off if rounded up for food putting them out of their misery or cleaned up and given to someone who will properly care for them.

The dog control in our small village appears to be gone. We had what we called a bucket truck. They would trade a plastic bucket for unwanted dogs. These dogs would then be taken to Laos and sold for meat. Since the big crackdown on the dog traders, we have not seen any bucket truck. The dogs are quickly breeding and now there is no control. I too hate the idea of dogs being eaten but it is better than the Thais beating them to death or putting out poison.

And don't you just love it when they come into one of those eating halls, take the little darling out of their carry bag stand it on the table whilst they get themselves seated, then just leave it to walk around the table top.

jb1

• Like 1

30183814-01_big.jpg

-mel.

-mel. wink.png

I'd eat that dog for 19,000 baht.

(Tell the wife and kids howdy!)biggrin.png

I wouldn't pay more than 250 baht to eat that dog.

• Like 1

Let 'em eat 'em all, from pups to geriatrics. All they do is bark and bite. Listening to the "chorus" across the street from me right now. Bring me that drunk worker from the article and I'll put him to work overtime in my village.

its one thing for another culture to eat dogs cats etc, but you might want to look on youtube, i personally dont want to go back to youtube as it was distressing, from what i recall i think it is the chinese, they believe that the more you torture the dog to death the more sweeter the meat.. a sense of humour is great, but when you joke (assuming your joking) about putting a price on eating a dog suggests you have a very distasteful sense of humour

• Like 1