How Much Does A Catarct Operation Cost?

exeter

I will shortly have to have a cataract operation one one eye, does anyone know what sort of cost I could be looking at?

I am in Nakhon Sawan. Have been quoted 6500bts, but another friend told me is was 14000 bts plus extras in the Pattaya area. I do wonder with 14000bts if he was told 14000bts for two eyes, lost in translation. Any experiences of cost would be appreciated.

I cannot help you about costs here....I got mine free through mediare in australia..

I think you should check what kind of lens they are using. I understand there is a large diference in cost between them. Again I do not know which is best.

OK thanks for that, I did know there is a choice of lens but did not know what different one do for you, will need to look into that. I do not have insurance so it will be pay as you go, or I go!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I took my 84 year old mom in to schedule cataract surgery. Medicare and her supplement will cover 100% of the cost of routine surgery and single focus lenses.

The eye surgeon said that she needed toric lenses to correct her astigmatism. He told me that it would be $1,000 extra per eye. Surgery is tomorrow. Tonight the surgery center called to say that there would be a charge of $544 per eye for the special lenses. Surprise, surprise.

I think that I know what is going on. The $1,000 per eye is an additional professional fees and the $544 per eye is a materials cost for the premium lenses. I do wish that someone had explained the charges to me, and English is everyone's first language.

My good friend. Had cataract surgery in Cebu for $1,000 per eye all-in. He has nothing but praise for the doc.

You do not need anything more than IOL single focus basic lens in my understanding; and that is why insurance will not pay for the others. That correction can be made by eyeglasses (and insurance often will pay for them).

My wife had first eye done and second eye is due this week - cost of each 35,000 baht total so just about the same as your friend in Cebu here in Bangkok - but can be up to about double that at some hospitals here.

I expect prices are gone up considerably since I had mine done in Bangkok by 'Top Charoen'.

I think it was 5 years ago and cost me 5,000B.

Had the same eyedone 4 years earlier in Cyprus where I was living and done under

medical insurance and cost 700 Euros.

Need my other eye done soon so will be looking around.

PP

That operation for your mom in the U.S., right? Must be, I guess, if Medicare is to pay a portion. Still, surprised it's so relatively cheap.

Oh, hold on, you didn't say what the basic cost was to be. How much, then, not including the add-ons?

Mac

Yes, in the Pacific territories. I don't know how much they will charge Medicare, but I would guess that it is in the neighborhood of $4K per eye.

You do not need anything more than IOL single focus basic lens in my understanding; and that is why insurance will not pay for the others. That correction can be made by eyeglasses (and insurance often will pay for them).

My wife had first eye done and second eye is due this week - cost of each 35,000 baht total so just about the same as your friend in Cebu here in Bangkok - but can be up to about double that at some hospitals here.

Don't tell my wife that I went for the high option needlessly. Mom's kind of excited that she might not need glasses after wearing them all of her life.

Just go to GOOGLE..........i had mine done at Bumrungrad, not game enough to chance a cheaper hospital. Last year about 10 people went to a cheap hospital and lost their eyesight due to infections. At Bumrungrad, they are so very careful with top grade surgeons. My surgeon was trained at Harvard. Whilst i lay on the operating table with a green sheet over my face just exposing an eye, i got an itch, put my hand up to scratch, so they changed the whole preparation and my hand was nowhere near the eye.

Amazing the cost for a couple of minutes operation. sad.png

Yep! but consider how long and at what expense it took the surgeon to master the trick. And then the cost of a modern operating theatre plus nurses, anasethics.........think about it !

Yep! but consider how long and at what expense it took the surgeon to master the trick. And then the cost of a modern operating theatre plus nurses, anasethics.........think about it !

I have. smile.png

I have. smile.png
And ?

I have. smile.png
And ?

No trick. Small incision, lens out, lens in. Next please. Takes me longer to rebuild his carb. laugh.png

I have. smile.png
And ?

I agree that they are entitled to a good living, but I think that they can get greedy too. The funny thing is that they drive $60K+ imported cars and raise a stink if they find out that you go to Thailand or the PI for health or dental care.

Edited by Pacificperson

About one year ago i was told, in Brisbane that if i wanted to jump the list to have cataract removed with up to 4 weeks waiting, it would cost me approx $A5000 = Bht 153.946. So i went to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok(one of the best)and had it done the next day..........$A1364 = Bht 42000.

Have sent several friends there since and all are very happy with everything.

The hospital is better than anything i have seen before, better than a 5* Hotel.

I had mine done at sripath hospital which is the private arm of the government hospital suandook in Chiang Mai.

Cost me thb 45k. I can highly recommend it. Got a monofocal lens. The toric or multifocal lenses cost more.

I can recommend Dr. Paradee. She did a wonderful job. Was over in 20mins. Rode my scooter home that afternoon from thw hospital.

Simple operation painless and immediate results.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

30 - 70 K (usually within 40-60) per eye at a for profit private hospital these days

A bit less at a non profit

much less at a govt hosp (with the exception of ones that get enough foreign traffic to have established dual pricing, which some have done, in.c Rutnin)

"I expect prices are gone up considerably since I had mine done in Bangkok by 'Top Charoen'.

I think it was 5 years ago and cost me 5,000B."

This one caught my eye.

Pormax, did you go to Top Charoen because you equated 'Top' with best?

Can you tell us more about the procedure?

Thanks

Terry

"I expect prices are gone up considerably since I had mine done in Bangkok by 'Top Charoen'.

This one caught my eye.

Thanks

Terry

As that is an optician chain store not sure what he was talking about either - but hope it was not cataract surgery.

This one caught my eye.

Thanks

Terry

As that is an optician chain store not sure what he was talking about either - but hope it was not cataract surgery.

Hope not. I really, really wouldn't trust Top Charoen w/ my cataract surgery!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Cost is a bit higher in the USA. US$40,000w00t.gif

This is for both eyes. There were additional costs for pre-op testing and post-op office visits. This was done earlier this year at the University of California Med Center Davis (located in Sacramento). Billing through Medicare I was charged about US$1,600 plus US300 for office visits.

I lived in Thailand for 10 years and moved back to the US permanently last August because of other health issues. Costs aside (and admittedly that's a big aside), I can't think of any negatives re the health care I have received here.

-redwood

I had my right eye done in Kalasin Public Hospital with a single focus lens the full cost including 1 night in a private room was ฿18,000. That was three years ago and everything was first rate.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 6 months later...

A friend of mine who is blind in one eye and needs a cataract 'removed' in the other eye has asked me to suggest a good place to go to to get this surgery carried out.

After searching the web for advice I have suggested Rutnin eye hospital, as this seems to have a good reputation and in one post is also recommended by Sheryl.

Am I right in thinking that this would be a good choice?

He lives in Pattaya and will be paying for the operation himself. He is not particularly wealthy, but would find the extra money to go somewhere 'better' if indeed that exists.

He would not want any 'fancy' treatment that I have read about on other threads, just standard laser surgery.

If you agree this is a good option, then I will email Rutnin eye hospital for him, but would I be right in thinking this would cost about 50K baht nowadays??

Thanks for your help

Edited by dsfbrit

I just received a reply from the Rutnin clinic - that was quick - I was expecting to have to wait several days.

Anyway, FYI

Thank you very much for being interested in our hospital. Regarding your question about Cataract Surgery, all of our surgeons do Cataract Surgery with the Phaco Emolsification Method. The estimated cost of the operation is aboutTHB 60,000-65,000 per eye (not including the medication). However, the patient needs to come to the hospital for a primary eye check up first (THB 1,500-2,000). If the operation is needed, it can be done on the next day.

Full deposit of total estimated surgery cost requires to be placed on surgery date.

After surgery, the patient needs to stay in Bangkok for 1-2 weeks for the post operative follow up. Hospital admission is not needed for this type of surgery.

For patients who require a short hospital stay after surgery, we provide modern and comfortable rooms, including private or VIP, and with 24 hour nursing care.

We have 4 kinds of rooms:

Shared rooms THB 3,050 per day

Standard rooms THB 4,650 per day

Deluxe rooms THB 5,050 per day

VIP rooms THB 7,000 per day

Please inform us of convenient dates and times in order to make an appointment for you. You may contact us by email at: [email protected] or by telephone at (66)2 639-3300 Extension 1 or 619 (press “1” or “619”).

Best regards,

Information Department