New Luggage Scanners, Bomb Detectors Installed At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Let's hope these CT 80 devices are more 'real deal' than the GT 200

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

http://www.asiasenti...2270&Itemid=590

The Thai Army reportedly has bought 535 GT 200 devices at a cost ranging from Bt900,000 (US$27,250 to Bt1.2 million for add-ons, according to Lt Gen Daopong Rattansuwan, the deputy army chief of staff, before a house committee in October last year. Some 200 of them were purchased to detect explosives in Southern Thailand where a fundamentalist Islamic insurgency has taken many lives. Other agencies using the device, according to the Working Group on Justice and Peace, are the Directorate of Armament under the Air Force, the Naval Ordnance Department, the Navy, the Royal Thai Police, the Central Institution of Forensic Science under the Ministry of Justice, the Office of the Narcotics Control Board, and the Provincial Electricity Authority.

Half a billion, a total and utter waste of tax payers' money.

mad.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT200

Edited by 12DrinkMore

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nobody care about whether that dam_n thing works or not, as long as the official are getting cutback from the deals, that's what matters most.

Same as the installation of them in the US. One of the politicians involved in the implementation of them, just happened to become one of the board members of the company who won the contract to implement them (after he left the government). Same same.

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively. This is a full step backwards as I see that Thailand has a tendency to replicate the errors and misdeeds of the West rather than the advances they have made in Health and Wellness!

+1....I think the scanners are hamrful.

"according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers."

Then on what basis is the decision made as to which pax have to pass through the body scanner?

"The airport has also introduced a new body scanner, which, according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers. It helps facilitate a thorough body inspection without any violation to the passenger."

I think perhaps the second sentence gives a pointer to the answer to your question - people who have, for one reason or another, given security cause to want to perform a more thorough check.

This could be something as simple as setting off the alarm when you pass through the regular metal detector. Possibly, if after they pass the wand over you, they still don't know what set the alarm off, they'll use the body scanner.

Just my guess on it, no doubt all will be revealed in the future (no pun intended).

"according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers."

Then on what basis is the decision made as to which pax have to pass through the body scanner?

"The airport has also introduced a new body scanner, which, according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers. It helps facilitate a thorough body inspection without any violation to the passenger."

I think perhaps the second sentence gives a pointer to the answer to your question - people who have, for one reason or another, given security cause to want to perform a more thorough check.

This could be something as simple as setting off the alarm when you pass through the regular metal detector. Possibly, if after they pass the wand over you, they still don't know what set the alarm off, they'll use the body scanner.

Just my guess on it, no doubt all will be revealed in the future (no pun intended).

He said in lieu of having prohibited items, such as hair gel or perfume, confiscated on the spot.................

And here was me thinking that pax are permitted liquids, pastes and gels in quantities not exceeding 100 ml.

​Rules change again!

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

just cleared through the immigration and now giving a dump at the gatehold toilet while posting this. oops

don't see any new full body scanner. but dam_n, they seized my swissknife!

Yeah, they even took my tiny Leatherman, with its pathetic little 2-inch knife blade. Hardly the weapon to strike terror into the hearts of pilots and hosties!!! I was even allowed to carry it into the Louvre, in Paris. dam_n, that was an expensive oversight!! sad.png

If I am so inclined I'd smash a few bottles of the champagne they serve inflight and voila, I have very sharp shards of glass that would eclipse the small dangers of nail clippers and swiss army knives. An example that some of these "measures" address form over substance.

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively. This is a full step backwards as I see that Thailand has a tendency to replicate the errors and misdeeds of the West rather than the advances they have made in Health and Wellness!

in some countries you are allowed to refuse it (so they give you a manual search instead).

without 'guessing' and answer, does anyone actually know whether we are allowed to refuse it in Thailand?

is it MANDATORY (covered by a law)? can they refuse us to travel if we say "no" ?

FRIENDS !

Don,t be afraid to much.

Still we need this dam,n things to be more safe from terrorists.

The questions are did AOT, have capacity to scan all at least they who " looks suspected ".

How they can se this it,s the problem.

I don,t like this at all, but what to do, in this terrible time, when you travel.

Still feel more safe, when scanned, with this" dam,n things".

Don,t care if they can se my "willie" or not.

Oh great, more security theater. Why exactly are they wasting money and people's time with this thing when it's already been proven worthless in america..

http://tsaoutofourpa...-body-scanners/

I hope they'll still allow body searches since I don't want to get cancer from these things which although might be a small chance isn't something I want thanks.

If you're worried about getting cancer from these things, you'd better stop flying.

in some countries you are allowed to refuse it (so they give you a manual search instead).

without 'guessing' and answer, does anyone actually know whether we are allowed to refuse it in Thailand?

is it MANDATORY (covered by a law)? can they refuse us to travel if we say "no" ?

The airport has also introduced a new body scanner, which, according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers.

So you think they are harmful, Why, what evidence? I await with baited breath and am happy to be shown evidence, but not just people's 'thoughts'

just cleared through the immigration and now giving a dump at the gatehold toilet while posting this. oops

don't see any new full body scanner. but dam_n, they seized my swissknife!

Righto!

Make sure to keep us updated on your 'movements'! thumbsup.gif

Oh great, more security theater. Why exactly are they wasting money and people's time with this thing when it's already been proven worthless in america..

I hope they'll still allow body searches since I don't want to get cancer from these things which although might be a small chance isn't something I want thanks.

If you're worried about getting cancer from these things, you'd better stop flying.

HH! Avoid eating certain foods, bacon, sausages etc, avoid smoke, barbecues, pesticides,don't breath in diesel fumes, don't go into radon affected areas, and so on and so on. You'll probably die of anxiety/ stress before cancer ever gets you

Edited by msg362
  • Like 1

Please Johnny s and HH, give me some information. I'm curious to know if these things are really dangerous. 80x times more powerful than X ray machines, Logan employees dropping like flies with cancer. If they truly are dangerous I'd like some evidence please then I can make rational decisions. If you can't prove it, could you please stop scaring people and say you don't know?

They need to justify the millions spent on the equipment.... Give it some time and they will be moved into storage together with all other wasteful product spending.... I wish I was on the sales team of the supplying Company.....dam_n...missed out again!

i left via swampy last night, i think it was old x ray system in use.

scanned my hand luggage and they then asked me to open it. the object that had arroused suspicion and looked like liquid on the scan turned out to be a plain hot dog shaped bread roll of rick's bakery fame from friendship that i had not got round to eating.

lets hope the new scanners are more discriminating!

You think the scanners are harmful. Oh well now I know that I'll stay well clear of them then. Saves bothering with all that scientific evidence rubbish doesn't it.

• Like 1

HH! Avoid eating certain foods, bacon, sausages etc, avoid smoke, barbecues, pesticides,don't breath in diesel fumes, don't go into radon affected areas, and so on and so on. You'll probably die of anxiety/ stress before cancer ever gets you

Because those things are equal to getting blasted by an xray machine right? You both need to use your brains more. At least research a little into the topic before posting with your nonsense.

Because those things are equal to getting blasted by an xray machine right? You both need to use your brains more. At least research a little into the topic before posting with your nonsense.

When you're flying, you're getting blasted by that little x-ray machine called "The Sun", without all the protection you get from the atmosphere when you're on the ground.

Sent from my shoe phone

• Like 2

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively.

you get 80 times of a chest x-ray without any lead protection.

Sources?

Or is this typical Thai-style reporting: "I said it, therefore it must be true."

If so, I guess there were no floods last year, here will be no coup, and tablets are in every child's hands.

Well seriously, not everybody (probably nobody if you think of it) wants that dam_n X-ray! What is somebody already has cancer or any other condition that could be worsened? Or what if people simply don't want to go through the procedure?

Something has to be done about it. If a petition needs to be signed, I'll be the first one to put my name on it.

Will you read the petition before you sign it? Or will you just blindly sign anything before you know what it even means? On what are you basing your irrational fear of the scanners?

you're precious