Resurrection Of The Signage Tax ...

sedge

My office had a visit from a young official from City Hall today gathering information and trying to get copies of company papers, lease agreements and even a copy of my passport - as a prelude to the reintroduction of signage taxes and building charges.

Any other business owner had a visit?

I remember a similar thing about 3 years ago which seemed to die the death.

Sign tax has always been there, but is widely ignored by both, business owners and the tax office. Once in a while someone at the tax office wakes up and then they conduct an investigation. Be prepared to pay for the years you didn't pay plus interest and fine.

Sign tax has never gone away.

What is Sign Tax?

A tax on any sign erected outside a building, office, shop, bar etc, etc, it even applies to those temporary vinyl signs you see littered along the roadsides here. If your sign is all in Thai the taxes are minimal, if the sign is in another language but has a little Thai writing then the tax is a bit higher, but if the sign is completely in a foreign language with no Thai script whatsoever...prepare to get hammered!!

The tax is applied per Square Meter and with consideration for the language/languages it is in!

Some people blindly erect a sign without knowing this - but very soon they will get a visit from the officials demanding payment.

One of those taxes you have to pay yourself. Just go down to the relevant authority (in East Pattaya it is the Or Bor Tor office of your district), declare total sqm and pay. They might check or they might not, however when totally not paying, you will sooner or later get caught and will pay back taxes and fines...

If not paying, they also have the right to simply remove the signs. Often done with those roadside temporary advertising signs...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sign tax has never gone away.

What is Sign Tax?

A tax on any sign erected outside a building, office, shop, bar etc, etc, it even applies to those temporary vinyl signs you see littered along the roadsides here. If your sign is all in Thai the taxes are minimal, if the sign is in another language but has a little Thai writing then the tax is a bit higher, but if the sign is completely in a foreign language with no Thai script whatsoever...prepare to get hammered!!

The tax is applied per Square Meter and with consideration for the language/languages it is in!

Some people blindly erect a sign without knowing this - but very soon they will get a visit from the officials demanding payment.

Oh, right, I heard about it.

Thanks for your explanations :)