Non-Sugar Sweeteners

tropo

Just thought I'd open a discussion about artificial/natural sweeteners.

After using Equal (Aspartame) and Diet (Xylitol + Sucralose) available here in Thailand for the past 5 months I decided to try something healthier, so I ordered some "NuStevia" by NuNaturals from Health Designs. It's a combo of stevia and erythritol.

Talk about sweet. I only need about 0.25 grams in my coffee. I tried the recommended 1/8 (0.5g) teaspoon amount and could hardly drink my coffee it was so sweet. One 98g container will provide enough sweetener for 400 cups of coffee.

I use splenda along with a thai one, little green pack forget the name. Splenda is alot smoother of a sweet and the thai one is just very very sweet. Ive used the nustevia that your talking about trop and i also had to use barely any for everything. goes a very very long way.

I think the green pack one you're referring to is "Diet". (xylitol with 1% sucralose). It comes in sachets and bulk powder form. I used to buy that from Fascino for about 160 baht per 100 grams.

Interestingly, a batch I purchased over a year ago didn't indicate which alcohol sugar was in it whereas the new batch indicated xylitol.

Where do you get "NuStevia"? I have not been able to find it in Thailand.

I know that you are talking about artificial sweetners, but I have been using fresh squeezed sugar cane juice to sweeten some things. It is pretty low on the Glycemic index, tasty and easy to source in Thailand.

Where do you get "NuStevia"? I have not been able to find it in Thailand.

I know that you are talking about artificial sweetners, but I have been using fresh squeezed sugar cane juice to sweeten some things. It is pretty low on the Glycemic index, tasty and easy to source in Thailand.

NuStevia is actually a natural sweetener. I ordered it online from the US.

It's a combination of erythritol which is found naturally in some fruits and stevia which is an extract from stevia plants. The idea of combining stevia with erythritol is to reduce the bitter aftertaste of stevia. It has a noticeably different taste to Equal, but I'll get used to it.

The reason why I got this is to eliminate the artificial sweeteners I was consuming - Aspartame in Equal and Sucralose in Diet (Thailand brand). Sucralose is also the artificial sweetener used in Splenda.

I can't see the point of consuming artificial sweeteners when natural ones are available.

Edited by tropo

I don't know about that. Splenda is making a killing in the artificial sweetener market, so you really need to decide what is true and what is company propaganda. I believe it is toxic. The company knows it too, that is why they're trying to make their products appear healthy.....

Read this: http://www.naturalne...th_product.html

Extract from link:

Desperate to maintain its false brand image of being a healthy sugar alternative, the Splenda company, maker of toxic sucralose, has unveiled a new product line called "Splenda essentials" that incorporates trace amounts of B vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber as bait to convince the health-conscious community that Splenda is good for them. But do not be fooled. These products are still filled with the same toxic chlorocarbon sucralose as normal Splenda, which is linked to some very severe health problems.

Marketed as being "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar," Splenda's main ingredient, sucralose, is basically a chlorinated sugar that the company claims is harmless because it passes right through the body unabsorbed. Utilizing the same process used to create some pesticides, however, including the now-banned pesticide DDT, sucralose is anything but an inert sweetener. Numerous scientific studies have found that sucralose is absorbed by the body when consumed, and one particular study in Japan found that up to 40 percent of it is absorbed (http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/images/japanese_study.pdf).

Why is this such a big deal? As reported by the Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA), the absorption of chlorinated compounds can cause severe damage to the nervous system, immune system, bodily organs, microflora balance in the intestines, and glandular systems. Dr. James Bowen, M.D., a physician and biochemist, likens chlorine compounds to "nature's Doberman attack dog -- a highly excitable, ferocious atomic element employed as a biocide in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, WWI poison gas and hydrochloric acid."

Anyway, why take the chance the companies are lying to us? Go natural.

For me avoiding sucralose was not an issue because I was using Equal (aspartame). I haven't seen Splenda sold here and Diet only contains 1% sucralose.

Edited by tropo

I can't see the point of consuming artificial sweeteners when natural ones are available.

I have read allegations that - natural or not - stevia also has safety issues and that when it is processed into a powder even more so. It certainly does get confusing trying to figure out which health claims are accurate and which are spin.

so...what can we say regarding sucralose vs aspartame...I was lead to believe that the former was better than the latter in terms of toxicity...

not that I use a lot of sweeteners; when I get a sugar craving I just grab a lot of chocolate and gobble it and then adjust the insulin and metformin accordingly...sounds dumb, I know...

so...what can we say regarding sucralose vs aspartame...I was lead to believe that the former was better than the latter in terms of toxicity...

It's just one big company trying to get the better of the other. Splenda is the newer kid in town and they're taken over in popularity.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a Coke vs Pepsi type of debate. They're both bad.

I have read allegations that - natural or not - stevia also has safety issues and that when it is processed into a powder even more so. It certainly does get confusing trying to figure out which health claims are accurate and which are spin.

Yes, there are claims that stevia is also bad. I'm guessing the big 2 (Equal & Splenda) are putting out negative "spin" on stevia, but in the end, who really knows.

The referenced studies on sucralose were not conducted in accordance with accepted scientific standards. To date all the scientific literature indicates it is safe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19464334

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Sucralose-safety-scientifically-sound-Expert-panel

However these assume a normal degree of intake and may not apply to people consuming massive amounts.

i think the safest course of action is to use in moderation.

I don't know re Splenda brand, but there are at least 2 Thai brands of sucralose: Fitne abd Truslen.

I don't off hand have links re aspartame nor time to look them up but my recollection is that there was enough evidence to suggest one shouldn't ingest large amounts of it, i.e. the truth likely falls somewhere between what the extreme alarmists are saying and what the companies are saying. I believe I also read that there are indiv duals who are particulally sensitive to aspartame/suffer uncomfortable effects (a minority).

All this plus the fact that it takes like crap are why I use sucralose (and that in moderation).

I don't know re Splenda brand, but there are at least 2 Thai brands of sucralose: Fitne abd Truslen.

Yet the only one I can find at Fascino is "Diet", which is only 1% sucralose. Where do you find these?

The only known health issue with Aspartame is with people unable to process the amino acid phenylalanine, but that is less than .001% of people and phenylalanine is found in many natural foods.

There are no peer reviewed studies showing Splenda to be toxic in any way. Only unscientific blog postings by the usual alarmists with no training.

Sugar kills millions of people worldwide every year. There is no shortage of evidence for that.

Yet the only one I can find at Fascino is "Diet", which is only 1% sucralose. Where do you find these?

Regular supermnarkets: Big C, Lotus, tops etc. Usually in the same aisle as the coffee.

• 3 months later...

Here's an eye-opener for anyone using Equal (Aspartame):

I'm convinced after watching this and reading some other stuff. I'll go back to my stevia and get used to the after taste.

I've got nearly a full box of Equal left. Any takers?smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I found some powdered Stevia in a "Green" market - in Fashion island. There is also a bottle of sweetener at foodland, the label has leaves that look like Stevia leaves on it. I tried it once but it seemed to cause cravings, so I discontinued it. Personally I am better off avoiding all sweet things.

Edited by tominbkk

I found some powdered Stevia in a "Green" market - in Fashion island. There is also a bottle of sweetener at foodland, the label has leaves that look like Stevia leaves on it. I tried it once but it seemed to cause cravings, so I discontinued it. Personally I am better off avoiding all sweet things.

Stevia is extremely sweet. I have it in a bottle which I ordered from the US but I can easily ruin things by putting too much in.