Can'T Have A Beer Between 2 And 5Pm At Restaurant.

mellow1

How can we reduce the amount of alcoholics in Thailand?

Release captive tigers and bears in all bars and department stores..

And bulls in china shops.

And use sledgehammers to crack their nuts.

Why not fight fire with fire?

We should make it mandatory to derink from 5 pm till 1 am (later in central Bangkok)

SC

Never ever had a prob ordering a beer eating out at any time. smile.png

I once heard about one who was even able to order a beer at a temple whistling.gif

I got took to a temple one night by some thai friends were there was an underground gambling scene going on (didnt participate though), a few fights over money and a vendor selling liquer. Couldnt believe it

Finally ! The temple that bar girls go to.

I once heard about one who was even able to order a beer at a temple whistling.gif

I got took to a temple one night by some thai friends were there was an underground gambling scene going on (didnt participate though), a few fights over money and a vendor selling liquer. Couldnt believe it

Weren't there any coyote dancers as usual the temples have them on during the weekends.

Wher's my coat when I need it.

Do what I do and order 18 pints of lager at 1.55pm......lovely jubbly

haha

never experienced going to a resturant that sold alcohol where the "no alcohol between these hours has been enforced though"

You've been lucky. Try some food courts at Tesco or Big C.

It's hit and miss though. e.g. Big C (extra) Pattaya no, Big C Nakhon Sawan, no problem.

why would anyone feel the need to drink at tesco or big c?

haha

never experienced going to a resturant that sold alcohol where the "no alcohol between these hours has been enforced though"

You've been lucky. Try some food courts at Tesco or Big C.

It's hit and miss though. e.g. Big C (extra) Pattaya no, Big C Nakhon Sawan, no problem.

why would anyone feel the need to drink at tesco or big c?

What else would you do while the missus is shopping for the weekly couple of cases of beer?

This daft rule has caused me no end of problems. I usually go to the supermarket at these times, and therefore always end up having to buy 10 litres of cider at a time. Problem is that rather than having the odd tin, I get carried away and get smashed all day. So, I would put it to the daft government past and present that this rule actually makes me drink more, not less

A while ago, on a Buddhist holiday, a group of us was in Sukhumvit and even if we tried, we couldn't get any beers at the farang places.

<deleted>*k I said, do as the Romans do....

And we jumped into the car, drove outside the tourist belt and landed in a big Thai place, very crowded, life music and every table had its Whiskey/soda and loads of beers.

Yeah, I thought, the law was definitely made to protect farangs of Buddhist faith.

haha

The Fuji Japanese chain will not sell you beer between 2.00 and 5.00 pm, irritates me because the children like to go there on Sunday afternoons so I have to suggest other places - and so Fuji loses business of course - most other places, Thai restaurants etc., have no problem with it.

Patrick

haha

The Fuji Japanese chain will not sell you beer between 2.00 and 5.00 pm, irritates me because the children like to go there on Sunday afternoons so I have to suggest other places - and so Fuji loses business of course - most other places, Thai restaurants etc., have no problem with it.

Patrick

I have a problem with this stupid law. It seems whenever I'm shopping say at Central Festival & want to buy a bottle of wine or what ever Two Bells has sounded and I have to go elsewhere Tesco the same,,,,,,,,,however no problem at Foodmart in Jomtien.Unusual that only the major chains seem to take any notice of the law.

At Fuji in North Pattaya recently , lunch at 14:30. "No beer allowed sir". Look out the window into the courtyard & there's a bar selling beer to anybody & everybody. Is this law intended to protect school kids ? Are patrons of a fairly expensive restaurant less capable of controlling their liquor intake than shirtless people at a bar beer ?

Unusual that only the major chains seem to take any notice of the law.

My local Villa Market claims that the law is only for Thais. Farangs can buy alcohol freely even after 2pm. Double standards can have their advantages too .... :)

Patrick

Have to?

I agree it's a stupid law, but can't imagine basing my choice of restaurant, maybe French food if you just have to have wine but are you that obsessed by sake?

A while ago, on a Buddhist holiday, a group of us was in Sukhumvit and even if we tried, we couldn't get any beers at the farang places.

<deleted>*k I said, do as the Romans do....

And we jumped into the car, drove outside the tourist belt and landed in a big Thai place, very crowded, life music and every table had its Whiskey/soda and loads of beers.

Yeah, I thought, the law was definitely made to protect farangs of Buddhist faith.

Funny, on the last Buddhist holiday I sat on Soi 4 and drank beer all day with no problem :)

Later on in the evening I heard a few bars where not serving in the day, but I never ran into it. It seems like all these laws and rules are selectively followed.

A while ago, on a Buddhist holiday, a group of us was in Sukhumvit and even if we tried, we couldn't get any beers at the farang places. <deleted>*k I said, do as the Romans do.... And we jumped into the car, drove outside the tourist belt and landed in a big Thai place, very crowded, life music and every table had its Whiskey/soda and loads of beers. Yeah, I thought, the law was definitely made to protect farangs of Buddhist faith.

The law isn't against drinking, it is against selling. You find (up here anyway) that if you bring your own bottle the restaurant can sell you mixers and ice.

Going back to the 2 - 5PM closing times, I could never understand the misinterpretation of this. This ban on selling was directed against retail outlets only. Licenced premises can still serve during this time. It was apparently aimed at stopped school kids (who should have been in class during this period anyway) from having access to alcohol. This in a country where everyone has to carry ID at all times. Would it not have been simpler to ask the customer for their ID instead of the hassle this has caused?

Why hotels and restaurants (if properly licenced) stop selling during these periods still baffles me.

I (rather the wife) have run a bar in Thailand for 13 years and never once have been questioned when open during these times.

There used to be a law in the UK that pubs had to close in the afternoons. Thailand will catch up eventually.

"During the 19th century, licensing laws began to restrict the opening hours of premises. After the outbreak of World War I, the Defence of the Realm Act was passed by Parliament, which restricted opening hours for licensed premises to 12:00 to 14:40 and 18:30 to 21:30. In more recent times, the licensing laws became less restricted and allowed pubs to serve drinks up until 23:00, although nightclubs were allowed to stay open much later. Significantly revised rules were introduced in November 2005."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_licensing_laws_of_the_United_Kingdom

Patrick

Have to?

I agree it's a stupid law, but can't imagine basing my choice of restaurant, maybe French food if you just have to have wine but are you that obsessed by sake?

Some people are obsessed by alcohol, others by girls, and again others by living healthy. Let them all have their free choice. Just accept Thailand is a land where a real large part of the expats / visitors can't live without drinking alcohol a lot.

• Like 1

The law isn't against drinking, it is against selling. You find (up here anyway) that if you bring your own bottle the restaurant can sell you mixers and ice.

Going back to the 2 - 5PM closing times, I could never understand the misinterpretation of this. This ban on selling was directed against retail outlets only. Licenced premises can still serve during this time. It was apparently aimed at stopped school kids (who should have been in class during this period anyway) from having access to alcohol. This in a country where everyone has to carry ID at all times. Would it not have been simpler to ask the customer for their ID instead of the hassle this has caused?

Why hotels and restaurants (if properly licenced) stop selling during these periods still baffles me.

I (rather the wife) have run a bar in Thailand for 13 years and never once have been questioned when open during these times.

You don't need to ask for an ID as they are in their school uniform.

Edited by PattayaParent
  • Like 1

Go in the 7-11 after 1 am and they try to tell you they cant sell beer

go down the street and theres a party happening out side the family mart

with 10-15 thai people sitting around drinking and chatting as if it were

someones living room ,all drinking fresh cold bottles from familymart

but rumour has it that he couldn't barfine a nun.

The medium-to-larger places in the more corrupt police districts need to pay large bribes in order to get away with breaking the law. Some choose to say no to the police, prefer to obey it.

The cops don't bother with the little places as much, or at least ask a more reasonable bribe.

And in some districts the BiB just don't bother with any of it at all.

The little minds have no hobgoblins here. . .

You don't need to ask for an ID as they are in their school uniform.

But..........I always see ladies in their late twenties wearing a school uniform,even on Sundays and during the nighttime.Maybe different school giggle.gif Edited by pipo1000