Scientists Appeal To Govt To Allow NASA Project: Thailand

webfact

Scientists appeal to govt to allow NASA project

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Four the country's leading scientists and climate experts will send an open letter today to ask the government to collaborate with NASA to study climate conditions and air pollution over Thailand and nearby countries.

They insist that NASA's mission does not involve military or security issues.

"If the government will not approve this project we will lose the chance to learn new things which directly concern us," Associate Professor Serm Janjai, of Silpakorn University's Department of Physics, said yesterday.

He spoke at a press conference with three other scientists and climate experts to ask the government to go ahead with the NASA project. Known as the South East Asian Composition Cloud Climate Coupling Regional Study (SEAC4RS), the project was begun in 2010, to study the earth and climate systems related to the source of aerosols in the air which affect weather patterns and can cause climate change.

The letter was issued yesterday after a discussion on the topic of NASA's weather research mission at U-tapao airbase by scientists who have worked with NASA. Scientists from King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Lat Krabang ,Chulalongkorn University and Silpakorn University also participated.

Serm worked with a NASA operation to study weather conditions in Thailand seven years ago.

"I think this project is very essential for Thai people because it is concerned directly with the atmospheric environment of the country. This affects all people, especially those living in the tropical zone," he said.

"We are in the zone where aerosol is intensively caused by agricultural waste burning, especially in Thailand and neighbouring countries. This aerosol affects clouds and consequently it will affect rain and rain is vital for this region. The mechanism of interaction between aerosol, clouds and rain is currently unclear," he said.

"This is a great opportunity for the Thai scientific community to collaborate with scientists with NASA to study our atmosphere and the mechanisms that happen in our atmosphere - so that in the future we understand this and we can adopt measures to prevent or collaborate in this region to protect our environment and atmosphere."

Asked about concerns about national security because NASA wants to use U-tapao military airbase for its weather-research aircraft in August and September, he thought this kind of scientific campaign was very clear in terms of the equipment and mission.

The equipment was basic and advanced - mainly devices used to measure solar radiation and detect chemical composition of the atmosphere and to detect satellite data.

"All scientists working in this field are clear that the equipment is used for scientific purposes and that it's not possible to be used for military purposes. For the flights and security, most of the flights are over the sea and if they are over the land, security authorities can check and tell NASA officials that there are places they are not allowed to fly over. So, for all the security measures, I think Thai authorities have a clear understanding of this issue," he said.

If the government did not decide to continue collaborating with NASA that would mean the mission would have to be set back till next year and Thailand would lost an opportunity to study the conditions of the monsoon and weather this year, he added.

"We are in the dark in terms of science and the environment. We need a light and we need to find a lamp. Now somebody is giving us a light and [it looks like] we will deny this offer," he said.

"How can we tell the world that if we deny this environmental and climate project, which is also important to our country as they [NASA] had legally and transparently sought permission from the government to do this," he said.

Busarasiri Thana, of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Science, said aerosol particles were a very important part of the jigsaw to understand the complex conditions affecting climate and people living in this region and across the world.

This aerosol data would help scientists and weather-related agencies to run a model and accurately predict the weather in future, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-26

"I think this project is very essential for Thai people because it is concerned directly with the atmospheric environment of the country. This affects all people, especially those living in the tropical zone," he said.

From the end of February to the middle of May in the north you can't see 50 metres in front of you, due to the smoke from burning. Why do we need this project\ to tell us that the air quality sucks? Who cares about the effects of aerosol on clouds and rain when you can't breathe and the hospital emergency rooms are filled with people experiencing severe respiratory distress? Put the resources targeted for this project into getting rid of the burning and the study will be unnecessary.

Unfortunately, based on another Nation article I read this morning it don't sound like this dysfunctional govt will be able to make a decision in time...the other Nation article indicates the Cabinet will probably say they must kick the decision (the can) to the Parliament. By the time someone in this govt possibly makes a decision, NASA will have competed the projected by just skipping Thailand....a project which could have provided Thailand and other IndoChina nations valuable weather data. Oh well, TiT...a progressive nation (compared to a snail crawl).

Sounds like 4 scientists desperate for a 'job for the boys', hoping that with any NASA operation here, they would be given high profile liaison roles. I am intrigues as to how the scientists can be offering an assurance to the government that there is absolutely no possibility of US military involvement. I doubt that there is, but these guys should steer well clear of giving such solid guarantees.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Unfortunately, based on another Nation article I read this morning it don't sound like this dysfunctional govt will be able to make a decision in time...the other Nation article indicates the Cabinet will probably say they must kick the decision (the can) to the Parliament. By the time someone in this govt possibly makes a decision, NASA will have competed the projected by just skipping Thailand....a project which could have provided Thailand and other IndoChina nations valuable weather data. Oh well, TiT...a progressive nation (compared to a snail crawl).

Whatever the errors of the government on this issue (and I agree your summary of the project's usefulness) it is peverse not to mention the disgraceful performance of the Democrats, seeking to make political capital on a scientific proposal which would have been to Thailand's benefit.Incredibly the MOA to cooperate was signed by the Abhisit government.

• Like 1

Whatever the errors of the government on this issue (and I agree your summary of the project's usefulness) it is peverse not to mention the disgraceful performance of the Democrats, seeking to make political capital on a scientific proposal which would have been to Thailand's benefit.Incredibly the MOA to cooperate was signed by the Abhisit government.

Fortunately, we have JB et al at the ready to make sure we never forget to slag on them.

Frankly, they are all idiots, but you guys who only think "the other side" has the idiots - keep on keeping on.

Yeap, dsyfunctional govt definitely includes the ruling party and the opposition party....and the Democrats have definitely been hypocrites on this issue.

• Like 1

Giving our father's land and territorial sovereignty away for scientific research?

I rather Thailand live without scientist.

Don't worry.Thailand is in no early danger of becoming a country known for its scientists, let alone becoming a hub for scientific research.

• Like 1

Fortunately, we have JB et al at the ready to make sure we never forget to slag on them.

Frankly, they are all idiots, but you guys who only think "the other side" has the idiots - keep on keeping on.

Not quite clear what your point is here.Are there mediocre people on all sides of the poitical spectrum? Of course there are.

In this instance the government has prevaricated and the opposition has played party politics.If I understand you correctly, you object to the latter being mentioned.

If there is a rationale for the Democrats position it would be interesting to know (other than a woolly anti-Americanism and automatic kowtowing to paranoic Chinese sensibilities).

Put the resources targeted for this project into getting rid of the burning and the study will be unnecessary.

Are you talking about Thailand or the United States Jaltsc? You are not clear here ...

I am talking about Thai resources. Once the burning terminates, the study will become unnecessary, negating any need for outside participation. That is, unless this project is a smokescreen for something else.

Giving our father's land and territorial sovereignty away for scientific research?

Don't worry.Thailand is in no early danger of becoming a country known for its scientists, let alone becoming a hub for scientific research.

I think that's right.

... shame on America! ... shame, shame, shame!

... in a remarkable diplomatic failure, the US willfully and knowingly placed in the lap of Thai politicians a decision! ... can you believe that? ... a decision! ... the US knows good and well that Thai body politic is incapable of making decisions! ... (unless we are talking big juicy opportunities for official corruption, or course) ... they know that, yet did it anyway!

... now, look at the morass the US has created in Thailand ... nothing good can come of such a destabilizing attack as offering to share high-level meteorological research with the Thai nation ... nothing!

... US Ambassador Kenney must ... be ... held ... accountable ... and recalled!

... .

... honestly, the dysfunctional state of Thai governance is now pretty well-known ... I'd really rather the US quietly back out of this deal, rather than distract the Thais from business they might not understand with such compexities as high-level meteorological research (for which I am sure there exists no Thai word) ... Thais officials have to focus first on understanding the causal relationships and nexus of rainfall > inept governance and corruption > massive flooding ... small steps first.

... better to offer the research project to a nation that is not so pathologically dysfunctional ... I cannot wait for the Tuesday deadline to lapse, and we can get out of this mess ... lesson learned - Thai government = interminably dysfunctional.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

You guys are funny. Do you really think NASA would be asking now for a project that was going to start in August?

You guys are funny. I know it is a difficult task, but think a moment. How far in advance do you think NASA plans?

I sure hopes the USA sees what is happening here. Total chaos by the govt. As stated earlier in many posts if the US wanted to spy on Thailand or China and it's neighbors they would just do it. This is all about politics and I think it is high time the USA teaches these idiots a lesson. Ok no Okay on this project then forget about all the other fking aid we give u you and military equipement - go to china with their half -ass sh-t they copied form the USSR and USA. End of story. The USA does not need Thailand, they can go to many other countries in the area and not have deal with this mickey mouse regime.

• Like 1

You can't be serious. So you think that it is preferable to repeat last year with half of Thailand armpit deep in water? Perhaps with those evil scientists learning more about the climate, atmosphere, and weather, better predictions and better preparations (adjusting the water levels in reservoirs for example) can actually help the Thail people.

They had better write quick as I thought the deadline for the answer was today ?

Me too...probably midnight U.S. East Coast time which means Thailand would have to approx mid day tomorrow Thailand time.

I have no doubt Thai govt officials have contacted the U.S. Embassy asking them to ask the U.S. State Dept to talk NASA into giving Thailand a little more time in order for the Thai govt to make a decision. My gosh, Thailand didn't have time to setup a long running committee to evaluate the plan...with the committee eventually being forgotten about before the committee could issue its recommendations for additional study.

But if this NASA thing falls through Thailand can just continue with its cell phone research projects (millions of researchers doing buying research everyday at cell phone stores) and maybe even someday implement true 3G in the country--I can always hope.

Edited by Pib

Put the resources targeted for this project into getting rid of the burning and the study will be unnecessary.
Are you talking about Thailand or the United States Jaltsc? You are not clear here ...
I am talking about Thai resources. Once the burning terminates, the study will become unnecessary, negating any need for outside participation. That is, unless this project is a smokescreen for something else.

Was that the unintended entry for the pun of the week award? ;)

You guys are funny. Do you really think NASA would be asking now for a project that was going to start in August? You guys are funny. I know it is a difficult task, but think a moment. How far in advance do you think NASA plans?

Well in the case of Mars, about 150-300 years at the moment. So what are we to conclude ;)

• Like 1

You guys are funny. Do you really think NASA would be asking now for a project that was going to start in August? You guys are funny. I know it is a difficult task, but think a moment. How far in advance do you think NASA plans?

Well in the case of Mars, about 150-300 years at the moment. So what are we to conclude wink.png

The bartenders already know the guys well enough to know not to ask them if they want a drink for lunch. Coke only. Aw come on boys. You don't believe people are still debating this issue.

Methinks the government has focussed on getting Thaksin a pardon rather than seeing other projects through.

Took their collective eyes off the ball

If it's not money and it's not Thaksin then it's not worth bothering about!!!

• Like 1

I sure hopes the USA sees what is happening here. Total chaos by the govt. As stated earlier in many posts if the US wanted to spy on Thailand or China and it's neighbors they would just do it. This is all about politics and I think it is high time the USA teaches these idiots a lesson. Ok no Okay on this project then forget about all the other fking aid we give u you and military equipement - go to china with their half -ass sh-t they copied form the USSR and USA. End of story. The USA does not need Thailand, they can go to many other countries in the area and not have deal with this mickey mouse regime.

The Pollution parade of Rayongs Factory district? The incineration of Toxic waste within an overpopulated landfill of contradiction? Burning fields of Sloth for the fresh breath of cancer?

GROUND CONTROL TO THAILAND! THE EARTH WANTS SOME RESOURCES BACK that the great people of Thailand have borrowed over the years! The USA wants to HELP you forecast future disasters so you can save your people and the few remaining species of life Thailand has left. This shows everyone a direct indication of Buddhism in Action here in Thailand. Where is the New Earth?

It is not just the PT doing the ball on this one. Abhist is doing his part to stop it also.

At last they both agree for separate reasons and it is some thing that would be of immense benefit to Thailand. But they both use different reasons to stop it.

What can you expect from a Government that refused help from them in last years floods. And then turned around and refused help from the Netherlands on water control.

• Like 1