Living Around Suk Soi. 71. Your Thoughts?

BinKata

Cheap. But a bit of a dump.

A "bit" bargirl central and pisshead long stay tourists.

The mosque makes a racket too whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa....khumvit-soi-71/

RAZZ

I would concur with that.

Absolutely no reason to, of all of Bangkok, live next to a mosque (their loud prayers over loudspeakers). I could stay there if a package tour placed me into some accommodation or somebody invited me to stay with them. But no way I would pay to live there, neither rent nor purchase.

The location is not cheap out of nothing. If you think, the proximity (and not that close) of BTS does not save you from taking a taxi after bi-weekly or monthly shopping at "near" Lotus or CareFour at OnNut.

My family had lived at Sukhumvit+, corner of Rama IV and Sukhumvit, Phrakhanong station 50m away. They had never used the BTS, no reason to go anywhere that BTS services.

Suk 71 is one of the few places I've ever felt a bit uncomfortable walking down, at least the first section closest to Sukhumvit. As has been mentioned, this is bar girl territory and it does seem pretty rough. Got a few scowls walking there and there's a lot of smaller alleys. Not a place I would like to wander around drunk in the night.

Suk 71 is one of the few places I've ever felt a bit uncomfortable walking down, at least the first section closest to Sukhumvit. As has been mentioned, this is bar girl territory and it does seem pretty rough. Got a few scowls walking there and there's a lot of smaller alleys. Not a place I would like to wander around drunk in the night.

It does look a bit threatening, but I feel more scared trying to cross the road there.. There are some dodgy looking people about, but I just keep my phone/money in my pocket and keep walking.

It does look a bit threatening, but I feel more scared trying to cross the road there.. There are some dodgy looking people about, but I just keep my phone/money in my pocket and keep walking.

I am a bit puzzled by what is termed as Bar girl territory. Does this mean there are a lot of Bar girls who live in the area, although down the road there are a couple of Thai karoke bars. I must confess i don't seem to notice an over abundance of Bar type girls , not like one does say in Pattaya , Although there are always a few who periodically move into our appartments but they don't ever seem to stay around for long.and they don't bother me too much. As for no go areas , like i said , in the area behind the mosque is a bit dodgy but i am often in that area because our kids go to the school next to the Mosque and I am always there with locals and most of them know who i am so i don't feel too threatened. I am beginning to feel i am a bit naive with all these unsavouy threats happening in my neighbourhood and not being aware of it. Actually crossing Suk 71 is more scary as tw25rw says .

I am a bit puzzled by what is termed as Bar girl territory. Does this mean there are a lot of Bar girls who live in the area, although down the road there are a couple of Thai karoke bars. I must confess i don't seem to notice an over abundance of Bar type girls , not like one does say in Pattaya , Although there are always a few who periodically move into our appartments but they don't ever seem to stay around for long.and they don't bother me too much. As for no go areas , like i said , in the area behind the mosque is a bit dodgy but i am often in that area because our kids go to the school next to the Mosque and I am always there with locals and most of them know who i am so i don't feel too threatened. I am beginning to feel i am a bit naive with all these unsavouy threats happening in my neighbourhood and not being aware of it. Actually crossing Suk 71 is more scary as tw25rw says .

Like you I dont know what is being talked about.

The area from Suk Rd is basically a commercial district, yes there are BGs living in the area but they are usually to be found in the cheaper accomodation at the Klong Tan end of Pridi.

Yes there are Thai knocking shops around, most farangs would walk passed them and not know what they were.

As for no go areas, I dont know what is being talked about, the only thing I can think of is, there are a few Muslim villages in the area, some of these villages are locked at night as a security precaution.

Agree with the bit about crossing the road.

Quite a few bar girls live around there. I know a few and have visited their rooms, usually concrete box type rooms with no aircon..

The higher earners seem to prefer living around Ratchada.

Edited by tw25rw