My 3Meter Visitor - Cobra Or Python!

Me too! Can someone identify this? I worry it will eat my cat but hoping it will scare one of my awful neighbors into moving! Just stuck a note on a car with a friendly FYI and photo of this snake. I really don't want anyone to find it and kill it though which is what I am assuming the landlord would do or her works (Burmese ) if they see it. THis snake was GORGEOUS!

I think a Burmese ball python?? Was very very long... well over 2 meters and probably 3meters.

post-46666-0-87877700-1340737210_thumb.j

post-46666-0-58749900-1340737350_thumb.j

Relatives regularly have these try to steal a chicken. The skin is perfect camouflage and on a rainy night there is no way to see them so be careful walking around at night. Misterman.... Do you live near a river?

Title should have been Boa ( I know it is not a cobra)

Not sure what a moggie is but .. so are they more nocturnal, I have a few cats and did lock them up last night but they were going mental by this morning..

6 meters is certainly quite long! So are they residential as in the live in one place like a toad?

Title should have been Boa ( I know it is not a cobra)

Not sure what a moggie is but .. so are they more nocturnal, I have a few cats and did lock them up last night but they were going mental by this morning..

6 meters is certainly quite long! So are they residential as in the live in one place like a toad?

As far as I know they stay around if there is a regular food supply so take care of your cat's, moggie is nickname for a cat.

You might notice that the usually noisy frogs are a bit quieter if he hangs a round for a few days

So all the things in nature that are predatros are not lovely? I am not a hater of nature .. it is beautiful. Look at it.

So when a leopard or tiger enters your lawn you will also say,oh that is lovely and go on without concern?

I remember in another thread about a dangerous snake that the OP of that thread said, oh and it went hiding under the baby's bedroom window so we didn't bother anymore.

With predators there is only one rule, kill before you get killed.

• Like 1

... Is a non venomous python the same as a leopard and tiger in regards to being dangerous and deadly? ...

Yes, if it thinks you're breakfast!

A while ago (OK, three decades!) we were hunting wild pig in the jungle in Brunei at night and shot one in the shoulder; he got away and while we were following his track one of the guys stood on a python - fortunately the python was pretty slow because he had just eaten the pig we had shot, as we found out the next morning (it just wasn't that pig's day). The python measured just under 20' (around 6m) and the pig weighed well over 100 kgs.

Lovely? Possibly, but not in my garden.

• Like 1

... Is a non venomous python the same as a leopard and tiger in regards to being dangerous and deadly? ...

Yes, if it thinks you're breakfast!

A while ago (OK, three decades!) we were hunting wild pig in the jungle in Brunei at night and shot one in the shoulder; he got away and while we were following his track one of the guys stood on a python - fortunately the python was pretty slow because he had just eaten the pig we had shot, as we found out the next morning (it just wasn't that pig's day). The python measured just under 20' (around 6m) and the pig weighed well over 100 kgs.

Lovely? Possibly, but not in my garden.

A pity you didn't have a camera handy.............would make great pics for us to see.

I believe they have reports of pythons up to 30+ feet in Brunei.....scary. blink.png

Edited by Rsquared

A small child was eaten by a python not long ago in Florida.

Their danger is not to be underestimated.

I used to go swimming in isolated mountain creeks until I saw a 4 meter long python the wife's cousin killed up here in Mae Taeng. They said they are quite common in the Ping River valley and elsewhere around water. They killed it as it was up in the rafters of the chicken coup and they have small children in the house. 4 meters is considered a middle-aged python. They also said small children were at risk.

• 2 months later...

mature pythons are not friendly creatures; while they wont activiely hunt a human, they can be very agressive... we had a full grown male many years ago, and we would go in to his exhibit (a huge habitat) with a large stick and an other person on the outside to help if needed. and he was used to being handled. they can bite, to defend themselves, and or wrap themselves around a person, and wile most of the time they wont crush u, i u stay relaxed and help smooth them slowly off of you in the direction of a branch, they can also continue squeezing you if they are angry or very hungry . the more u struggle, the more they squeeze. hjowver, they dont actually search for large humans to eat. a small baby could be just hte right size (like a very large chicken or rabbit or any other small mammal that moves, gives off heat, scent and swallowable.). howver, i wouldnt consider it a dangerous predator if it is in the yardas a visitor, and i have no small pets or infants.

and yes, even horrible vipers are beautiful. we have tons , come up our stairs, in house even, are dangerous, but still beautiful and amazing when not in 'my' territory. at present moment could use a python as we are having a serious field rat problem (not in thailand, so the rats attract vipers, not constrictors unfortunately).

bina

israel

btw, folks living in tuscon do have predators come in to their yards, that are known to eat small dogs and kittens, but it is better to set up your yard to prevent entry or discourage entry rather then hunt them. (bears, coatamundis, racoons, wolves, foxes, monkeys all come to mind)...

• 3 weeks later...