Old Expats In Thailand - Possible Hell On Earth?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fit that profile mostly.

I am 68, married to a Thai with a dual nationality son, house and everything except my motorbikes registered in my wifes name.

I am on a retirement visa extension and not a marriage one. got enough pension monet to keep me going unless the GBP drops to 35 or so.

So far after 19 years of knowing my wife, 12 years of marriage, 8 years of our son I read this post.

Thank you for your concern but speaking for myself I don't have any worries or problems that I can see in the future.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and one of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

I am aware that when I was born many years ago I came into the world with nothing and was surrounded by my parents and my brothers love.

My parents are long dead though my brother is still alive and the love is now the love of my family.

I am also aware that when I die if I only have 10 baht and nowhere to live or a gazillion baht, 20 houses, 50 cars and anything else I want in the world, sure as sh1t when I die I can't take it with me but I can take the love of my family.

What is worth the most?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you wai.gif .

@Tommo - Foreigners may have a house registered in their own name, however they may not own the land underneath the house. Many foreigners will put the house in their name and secure the land via a Long Term Lease on the land which gives them the right to live there. Once the foriegner passes away, the land reverts back to the Thai wife.

Guess you din't hear of any crackdown on foreigners like you, do you? coffee1.gif

1) A foreigner buying a house in his wifes name is against the law, do it and you deserve all you get.

2) A sensible foreigner keeps 800k in a hidden bank account for use in a marital emergency.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

An extremely sensible outlook on living in Thailand.

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

We have a joint bank account in Thailand and she can see how much is there at any time she wants.

Also a sensible man who loves and trusts his wife has no need of a hidden bank account.

I have no secrets from my wife and indeed why should I?

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

I and many friends who have married Thais don't have this problem.

I am the same exactly !

Nursing homes in Thailand for farang, what a gold mine opportunity.

I'm in.

Actually, I have thought about this before.

Wife thinks it's a great idea too.

Let's do it.

I live here and have some $ too.

If you are interested in working with me, pm me.

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

In life one should always hope for the best, but only a fool fails to plan for the worst.

Trust No One ............

(Actually, you can usually trust your parents, but never your wife or children)

I guess that is where we differ.

After all if you don't trust your wife or children then why marry and have children?

If you have the money then be single and a butterfly and perhaps be the richest man in the graveyard.

Not that it makes any difference when you are dead anyway.

Billd, We are definitely on the same page !

• Like 1

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

I don't believe it is against the law for you to give an unencumbered gift to your Thai wife to buy/build a house and land.

(But I do know of at least one female Thai judge that has ruled this was against the law)

But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

This is called a nominee purchase and is strictly against Thai law.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't remember claiming this as MY house at all and no it is/was not against the law to give my wife the money to buy the land and build the house.

Everything has been done in here name not mine and up here Judges seem to have more common sense than only one female judge elsewhere.

I am not on the blue Tabian ban though I do legally have a yellow tabian ban in my own name.

You seem to have a negative attitude to life when in reality life is good so make the best of it that you can while you are here.

I am sorry to say that you broke the law and you know it.

life is a risk and and nothing is permanent. The only thing that is permanent is change itself. That is what life is all about.No matter where you are. One can only live one moment at a time. Future doesn't exist. When tomorrow comes it becomes the now. The key is to make right decisions here and now. Then the "future"will unfold the way you have chosen to create. Otherwise you will live a life of a thousand fears of which most of them never happened. Take life as it comes and let each step be a conscious step. When you are happy with the present moment no matter what that moment brings. e.g. be happy with the feeling of being unhappy..then where will the unhappiness be? Most people label situations of their life with gain and lost. Happy or unhappy. All belong to the same whole we call existence. When you are comfortable with insecurity then you live a secure life. Only cowards wants to live a life of permanent security. They are dead already. The timing when their bodies will be buried later. My advice will be take the risk, love the adventure, live your life when suffering and insecurity happens it is needful for you to learn and grow and move on to the next adventure.

I don't believe it is against the law for you to give an unencumbered gift to your Thai wife to buy/build a house and land.

(But I do know of at least one female Thai judge that has ruled this was against the law)

But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

This is called a nominee purchase and is strictly against Thai law.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't remember claiming this as MY house at all and no it is/was not against the law to give my wife the money to buy the land and build the house.

Everything has been done in here name not mine and up here Judges seem to have more common sense than only one female judge elsewhere.

I am not on the blue Tabian ban though I do legally have a yellow tabian ban in my own name.

You seem to have a negative attitude to life when in reality life is good so make the best of it that you can while you are here.

Bild, you should not worry yourself over the views of some bitter and twisted people that spend their time at the keyboard sprouting nonsense. It's good to hear of situations like yours and like you say there are many more like you.

Yes, all of this is true.

there are many many of us !

• Like 1

Well, my vision was to live somewhere upcountry when I would be old and without any income, and not have to worry about some 90 day reporting or renewing of the visa every year. Oh dear, I will have to find another country for this dream then, Burma here I come smile.png

Farang the 90 day reporting is the scourge of living there unfortunately.

Have a look at Malaysia, they are more welcoming! If your google "retirement in Malaysia" loads of info available.

You must have a lot more money to retire in Malaysia than Thailand, I think it is about 3,000,000 BHT or something close to that, the Malays rule the country and every one else is second class, even with the Chineses and Indian people they have had protests about it for years, some people forget that Malaysia was colonizes by the British, just think about it, Malaysia is much more expensive than Thailand. Thailand beats Malaysia hands down to live in.

90 day reporting is very easy, I did my 90 day report last Wednesday, all over and done in 5 minutes, same as the time before, that is from the time I walked in the door until I walked out, it takes me longer to do my shoping at Big C or Tops or Tesco Lotus, Bangkok you can post 90 report in, can not be more easy. Most Farangs that live in Thailand could not get retirement in Malaysia.

Was back in OZ a few years ago, friend of mine, 2 years younger then me. He was thinking of taking early retirement and moving here, but had read all the horror stories and kept putting it off so as to make more money just to be safe. Died last year, 2 houses and would have had a good pension if he had live to see it.

Worry about today, tomorrow will take care of itself. Don't get any brownie points for being the riches man in the graveyard. Jim

I completely agree, but you can have a good life here without buying land and houses.

Renting is very cheap, and many very nice Thai ladies already have their own properties ......

OK so you spend a little to put in a nice shower and toilet, and some proper furniture.

But when you get to the state of giving your lady money for land, and not keeping enough in your bank for your visa extension ....... beyond daft.

Everyone is free do do as they like with their money. Last year on a similar thread one guy said he would rather go home in a box rich, than fly cattle class broke. I've been broke many a time, but life goes on. Take a chance or play safe, we make a choice everyday, whether to spend money or get on that death trap motorbike, all you can hope for is as much fun as possible before they put you in the ground.

An interesting life is not found in a bank balance. Jim

One thing that makes me feel really good to do with some money every year is called Bourijak.

This is helping people in need.

For example flood victims.

Remember, villa die, tang by mai die.

Or as we can translate, the hearse doesn't have a luggage rack !

.......Bro, I agree with you completely.

In my 9 years here, I have gone through over 5 million Baht and have squat to show for it.

(Never mind the other 6 million I 'gave up' back home at the prompting of 'my love'.)

Even being called 'the best teacher I ever met', several schools over, leaves you with nothing....

Politics, grred or jealousy can have you 'out' in the blink of an eye, with no shortage of 'face-saving explanations'.

Illegals can obtain permanent status easier thsn we can, apparently

Residency to the tune of 6 individuals a year???

Dish out......pay up..........die....or get lost......those are the options, apparently....

I wish, too, that things would change, as, I have made a definite contribution to Thailand..and have 2 daughters and a hostile wife.....

• Like 1

get a job, keep yourself busy...don't spend to much time on thinking about that. Sure you could say I am no good person to talk about that since I am just 28years old. Of course the same worries came through my mind but what can I do ? I work at school, earn a little bit. I Sometimes I think about getting married but after numerous relationships I've been during last 4years here in Thailand. I just kinda gave up. I can speak and read Thai and I just take care of myself.

Once older fellow farang said "In Thailand without family you aint shit" - that's 100% . I think we all know about that but we've all chosen to live here. Lets just learn to manage our lives here :)

• Like 1

The facts of life speak for themselves. There is no need for emotive language about trust and love and secret accounts. I (UK) was divorced after 20 years. Jim (USA) after 15, Bjorn ( Sweden) after 6, Noi ( Thai) after 12....etc etc

Times change and current thinking rightly or wrongly is that the law doesn't attribute blame in most breakups. It doesnt make any sense for someone to assume that the forces of change that ripple through society are going to pass them by. Young people have more opportunity to recover from change but they are not more likely to undergo it. How does anyone know how disease or disaster will affect their relationship. One unfortunate statistic is that people recovering from cancer or potential killer often see life as too important to carry on in the same way as before; they move on wanting to live a bit more as each day is more important; they divorce.

What would you do if your house was destroyed, someone needed a ton of money, your family found you a burden, someone died.

You can plan. For example in rural Thailand you can easily rent a house for 3,000baht per month, you can easily live on the current pension, thats not to say you will be able to in 10 years after no indexation or inflation etc have had a go at it. Many people live under the radar.I know one old guy who uses an old store card as an ID card. No one knows the difference. Where you come flom? I come flom Macro!

The real problem is not whether your family will support you but whether in the event of a change you can communicate with the locals and whether or not some kindly sole will step in and check you are OK. I have thought this through and made sure English is an available language in the local hospital. I know many old people supported by old ( over 40!) ladies grateful for a roof and food. I have chosen Thailand its a great place.

To answer the OP's question:

It seems to very difficult to live a happy life here when you're older. This is just my own opinion and shouldn't bother anybody else.

British-born architect Laurie Baker built a beautiful house within a lovely garden in South India and retired there. A few years before his death he said in an interview that he had thought he would be happy becoming old within such a beautiful and relaxed tropical setting. But then he discovered that as years went by it was no fun at all to become old. It was a tragedy. Your body wasting away, slowly failing. The setting didn't matter anymore. In his last years he never left his room and barely looked for a moment out of the window once a day.

Maybe we just dream that we will be happy if we live in a different country or if the climate is not cold. But then the reality may be different. At any rate the visa renewal and the accompanying 90-days reports are a sort of Damocle's sword ever hanging over one's head that takes a lot of the potential happiness away.

Edited by xavierr

Well, my vision was to live somewhere upcountry when I would be old and without any income, and not have to worry about some 90 day reporting or renewing of the visa every year. Oh dear, I will have to find another country for this dream then, Burma here I come smile.png

Farang the 90 day reporting is the scourge of living there unfortunately.

Have a look at Malaysia, they are more welcoming! If your google "retirement in Malaysia" loads of info available.

You must have a lot more money to retire in Malaysia than Thailand, I think it is about 3,000,000 BHT or something close to that, the Malays rule the country and every one else is second class, even with the Chineses and Indian people they have had protests about it for years, some people forget that Malaysia was colonizes by the British, just think about it, Malaysia is much more expensive than Thailand. Thailand beats Malaysia hands down to live in.

90 day reporting is very easy, I did my 90 day report last Wednesday, all over and done in 5 minutes, same as the time before, that is from the time I walked in the door until I walked out, it takes me longer to do my shoping at Big C or Tops or Tesco Lotus, Bangkok you can post 90 report in, can not be more easy. Most Farangs that live in Thailand could not get retirement in Malaysia.

The MM2H programme is available to most foreign citizens of all ages, who are allowed to bring their dependants and one maid to live in Malaysia. Successful applicants are given a five-year renewable visa and other privileges. Overseas income is free of tax and applicants can bring all their household effects and one car duty free into Malaysia, or may acquire a car in Malaysia free of duty.

Applicants aged above 50 years must meet one of the following conditions, while those who are below 50 must meet both:

1) A Fixed Deposit (in a local Malaysian bank) of RM150,000 if married or RM100,000 if single. The funds have to be left in the bank during the period of validity of the visa.

2) A fixed monthly income over RM10,000 a month or RM7000 if single. This could be a pension, dividends or other regular income. Documentary evidence is required as proof of income.

A sponsor in Malaysia may also be required, but this condition is sometimes relaxed. Employment in Malaysia is prohibited under this Programme unless specific approval is obtained.

So MR150,000 ( for married couples ) equates to A$46 grand which isnt too bad at all and of course after 5 yrs one is entitled to apply for PR. It's certainly something I would be interested for my father and will investigate more at the end of this year.

The biggest disappointment about this country is that the visiting farang has no rights whatsoever. You could get attacked by a thai street beggar and jailed for defending yourself. If the thais could devise a way of getting our money without even allowing us into the country they would be up it like a rat up a drainpipe ! Burma here I come. :)

falang07, you just hit the kind of the horror stories often read in books and forums. Sad, but so very true, if you live in a dream and do not protect yourself. Even sadder, when you try to live in your otium for small funds, because you can only stay in LoS if you can provide for yourself and show a certain amount of either Thai savings or regular income or retirement pension from somewhere.

On the other hand, it is ones own fault, to end up in a situation like the one described.

There are countless treads in Thai Visa and other forums, plus numerous books, about this subject - including a lot of flashing red light warnings and advices for how to avoid such a situation. Even with limited funds you can still do a safe planning with land, house and savings.

I live here on retirement conditions – just a small income, a house (a foreigner can own house, but not land which have to leased or an usufruct agreement) and enough savings deposited to prolong my visa and a little extra in case of emergency - and I am not worried. I would be a lot more worried about my future in old age, if I had stayed “home”.

Come on Tommo... thats such a broad generalisation. I would be devastated if I were not able to trust my kids.tongue.png

I once believed I could trust my (former) wife and (former) kids ...... now I know better.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Judging ones present, by ones past, is using yesterdays history, to guide tomorrows mystery, settling in ones past (learning from it) engaging in the now, making sure ones past, diplomas, of the good, bad and ugly, make one chose wiser paths, to trek on, it is never to late to change ones ways, If they cause people to lose love, respect or desire to share a life together, not saying that was ones case, but something to run through the canyons of ones mind.

I used to cast the blame on others, then I looked in the mirror, quit drugs, drinking, smoking, bitching and these past 30+ years have been priceless, of course I've killed my dragons and a clean and sober life attracts a different type of people..Hey what do I know, I'm just the garbageman, adding my 25 satong...It is not a bad idea to have a forgotten stash, that you remember in case of a rainy day.

Have a plan and stick to the plan. Expense of divorce is cheaper here than most places. Find a new woman for your old age or just rent or lease. You do not need a wife to survive in Thailand. I have a wonderful wife and child, but have a plan in case something were to happen.

Have a plan and stick to the plan. Expense of divorce is cheaper here than most places. Find a new woman for your old age or just rent or lease. You do not need a wife to survive in Thailand. I have a wonderful wife and child, but have a plan in case something were to happen.

Is it by any chance 'a cunning plan'?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

OK, but not everyone is that lucky like billd766, many marriages end up in divorce after all (no matter how much they have loved each other before, and I am sure as hell they often did). My point was that it would be really nice to have the same rights as my wife, the same as is granted to Thais abroad.

Before you ask to have the same rights as Thais abroad, remember that it's probably much easier for you to travel to different countries with your current passport than it is for Thais, and that it's probably easier for you to move to Thailand than it is for a Thai to move to your country. [i'm saying this as someone who has Australian and Canadian passports]. As they say: be careful what you wish for...

One of the biggest problems is if your wife dies before you. I f you have your own children and have been nice to them then you are OK. If not and you live in the boonnies you are at the mercy of her surviving family and or kids. If you have been good to them then.......they will probably look after you.

Have an alternate plan in Thailand / Falang land or wherever. The Phillipines with $10,000 or $20,000 to invest gets you fairly permanent status).

I know plenty of pensioners back home struggling on their income with the free health care and no one really caring about them.

Why worry about things you can not control not matter where you live. We can not tell the future neither can we predict our future health.

Edited by maprao
  • Like 2

I made a post here last year I think, where I told the forum readers of a situation I saw in CM Imigration. A very old guy, Im sure 85+ had to be carried into the very crowded room, He looked very frail and confused. Well he got the same treatment as every one else, no one thought it a good plan to see him first, Later Whem my visa was all ready I asked the Imigration officer what would happen when I am too ill, too old to come here. She looked quite shocked and Said, you must come,you must come to get your visa!

There and then I decided that whem I am in that poor old buggers situation, I intend to NOT TO COME! When I dont drive around so much, when I stop to travel, I will just keep out of the way, certainly will not go to the immigration again. The most they can fine you is 20,000 baht, even if you didnt show for 10 years! But to return to the thread, If I could I would pull out of Thailand,Its going to get harder and harder here for us WHITE OLD FOLKS.

See my post #34 much earlier in this thread. It is possible for a third party to handle 90 day reports and retirement visa extensions for someone too ill to come into Immigration. If the person isn't in the hospital and a doctor won't sign a letter that car travel is prohibited, the person could be brought to Immigration and stay in the car (with aircon running) while the third party talks to the Immigration officers. They will come out to the parking lot to look at someone who can't get out of the car.

Also, CM Immigration has a good appointment system for visa extensions, so there's no need to deal with the crowds or wait a long time. Just make the appointment on-line and come in 10 minutes before the appointment. Soon they'll call your name and escort you to the Immigration officer's desk.

Planning to go on Overstay long-term isn't a good plan. You can be stopped by the BIB (or reported to them). If you go into hospital and claim you can't pay your bill, they'll report you to Immigration and they'll come collect you as soon as you can be discharged.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Well, after the first few comments, I was getting upset, so decided to respond without reading them all.

OLD is a state of mind, not a number. I am 65 and I planned my retirement here to have a sufficient income. Additionally, medical care here is very good and inexpensive, plus, my US Health Insurance reimburses me for those expenses.

Regarding AGE - my Grandfathers were going strong into their early 90's, in a time with poorer medical capabilities. My Mother is 87 and is the cook, housekeeper, chauffer for my younger sister and nephiew.

IMHO - The person who posted this line needs to re-evaluate his attitudes about older people...

• Like 1

I fit that profile mostly.

I am 68, married to a Thai with a dual nationality son, house and everything except my motorbikes registered in my wifes name.

I am on a retirement visa extension and not a marriage one. got enough pension monet to keep me going unless the GBP drops to 35 or so.

So far after 19 years of knowing my wife, 12 years of marriage, 8 years of our son I read this post.

Thank you for your concern but speaking for myself I don't have any worries or problems that I can see in the future.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and one of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

I am aware that when I was born many years ago I came into the world with nothing and was surrounded by my parents and my brothers love.

My parents are long dead though my brother is still alive and the love is now the love of my family.

I am also aware that when I die if I only have 10 baht and nowhere to live or a gazillion baht, 20 houses, 50 cars and anything else I want in the world, sure as sh1t when I die I can't take it with me but I can take the love of my family.

What is worth the most?

You don't fit that profile - if your wife divorced you, you could stay in Thailand as you have a Thai citizen(your son) who is dependant on you.

Also, you would surely be entitled to half of everything?

I'm a Brit, but currently living in Canada with my Thai wife. If I thought I had to endure Fall, Winter and Spring here, after my retirement in 2 years - bad weather from October to June, and pretty much the same in the UK, I'd be tempted to end it now.

But, I have the prospect of 300 days of sunshine in Petchabun; 12 acres of non floodable land to play with; golf and good restaurants 50km up the road in Petchabun city; enough income to be very comfortable in Thailand, with investments in Canada and pensions from Canada and UK.

Do I worry about it all going tits up in 20 years? Have I ever worried about not knowing the future? No - I live in the moment and give thanks for meeting a wonderful Thai woman who looks after me like a king. My promise to her? To keep her financially secure until she dies.

The fact that she has forced me to play golf I'm prepared to forgive, even as my balls continually slice off to the left and I curse my ineptitude. Life's pretty good - and not spoilt by the prospect of growing old in Thailand.

Enjoy the moment and do some meditating and the future will take care of itself.

I'm a Brit, but currently living in Canada with my Thai wife. If I thought I had to endure Fall, Winter and Spring here, after my retirement in 2 years - bad weather from October to June, and pretty much the same in the UK, I'd be tempted to end it now.

But, I have the prospect of 300 days of sunshine in Petchabun; 12 acres of non floodable land to play with; golf and good restaurants 50km up the road in Petchabun city; enough income to be very comfortable in Thailand, with investments in Canada and pensions from Canada and UK.

Do I worry about it all going tits up in 20 years? Have I ever worried about not knowing the future? No - I live in the moment and give thanks for meeting a wonderful Thai woman who looks after me like a king. My promise to her? To keep her financially secure until she dies.

The fact that she has forced me to play golf I'm prepared to forgive, even as my balls continually slice off to the left and I curse my ineptitude. Life's pretty good - and not spoilt by the prospect of growing old in Thailand.

Enjoy the moment and do some meditating and the future will take care of itself.

Good. Let's hope you keep your balls centred and "unsliced".

• Like 1