4Th Of July

kcore

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, wonderful job, good service, good food, good music, good everything................... thank you for making me to feel proud for being an american. I hope our 4th of July has found a home, myself and my family say thank you again for a wonderful evening.

Yes, big success. Very, VERY well done.

As this is Thaivisa, a mandatory complaint: The fireworks could be seen and heard half way across town, but it was pretty hard actually from the restaurant itself.. It's a super roof to keep the sun and rain out, and very stylish in a Northern architecture, but it does block the view.. wink.png

But in all seriousness, it was epic. I think I witnessed the start of a tradition.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

David, wonderful job, good service, good food, good music, good everything................... thank you for making me to feel proud for being an american. I hope our 4th of July has found a home, myself and my family say thank you again for a wonderful evening.

Yes, big success. Very, VERY well done.

As this is Thaivisa, a mandatory complaint: The fireworks could be seen and heard half way across town, but it was pretty hard actually from the restaurant itself.. It's a super roof to keep the sun and rain out, and very stylish in a Northern architecture, but it does block the view.. wink.png

But in all seriousness, it was epic. I think I witnessed the start of a tradition.

We went early and almost didn't get a seat and the band hadn't even started. As usual the food was excellent.

When the band started the music was good. And I was honestly surprised at the service considering the size of the

crowd.

We left long before the fire works to free up a table. Besides I knew where to go so I could look down over the top of

the building. In the 6 years I have been here I have never seen a fireworks display the equal of this one. Yes I know

that there is a lot more at New Years eve but not as choreographed as this one. The only ones I have ever seen

to compare them to were in Vancouver Canada at a international competition where countries were spending $250,000

American to put there show on.

That was a night to remember we were sitting in Stanley Park in there theater under the stars watching a play of Guys and Dolls

with the fireworks on our right hand side.

And The River Market paid for the band and the fireworks with out a admission and at regular prices.

Great job Dave.thumbsup.gif

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

re ..

And The River Market paid for the band and the fireworks with out a admission and at regular price

i told you they had spent some baht on this ... and NO whingers in sight !

a result : ) ... after the last few years !

dave2

• Like 1

Am I right to postulate that many Americans abroad are losing their pride? It seems that one could proudly pronounce one as an American in 1986 (the year I settled down in Asia), and prior, in this part of the world with few raising an eyebrow. The past years since forth seem not to be the case as time moves on. What's been happening?

The Bush years for one. When I lived in Europe 2002-2007, I couldn't go into a bar and say I was American without someone trying to pick a fight with me. After a while I just started saying (if I was asked) that I was Canadian.

I doubt if Bush had anything to do with someone wanting to pick a fight with you in a bar. Maybe you are just not a likable person when under the influence of alcohol. :-(

I'm astounded how Europeans have so much disdain on Americans from the experience I have had.

The last time I was in CM, I went to a different bar than the one I visited before, but I passed through it and got stopped, but I promised to return later. All the people remembered me (I'm the "handsome man?").

I returned for 10 minutes. I bought this European guy a drink and one for myself. B160, and I called it even for 200. The European guy said he has pension amounting to B300k per month. Well, that much? He sure didn't return the hospitality after I bought his drink. They seemed looking down on me when I said I was an American. <deleted>!

The next time you are in Europe, try telling everyone you are a Canadian. If they still don't like you then it's probably because you are just not a likable guy and has nothing to do with being an American, lol.

Fantastic 4th Dave. Food was great, as always, plenty of alcohol, sick.gif. Service was good. Lots of people. The Fireworks show was a great ending to a very enjoyable day. Thank you Dave, the Misses, Michael and the staff of the River Market for a great show.

• Like 1

Fantastic 4th Dave. Food was great, as always, plenty of alcohol, sick.gif. Service was good. Lots of people. The Fireworks show was a great ending to a very enjoyable day. Thank you Dave, the Misses, Michael and the staff of the River Market for a great show.

+1, it was very very good, you should be pleased.

What a wonderful afternoon/evening. The food was fantastic and very reasonably priced. Hubby and I shared a combo plater of ribs and sausage -- came with corn on the cob, potato salad and coleslaw, plus some biscuits. More than enough for two people, at 600 baht -- 300 baht/person, less than what I remember they charged for the Duke's All-you-could-eat buffet a couple years ago in the park for the 4th. I sure hope Dave made enough money to justify doing this again next year.

I've never been so close to fireworks and next year I'm bringing ear plugs!

Oh, and I know in past years I've been a critic of the toilet and handwashing facilities in the park. This year, they were top-notch at the River Market. It's a beautiful building and everything is done first class, including the toilets. I noticed a staff member around the toilet facilities pretty much full time, keeping them stocked with paper products and as clean as possible.

• Like 1

I sure hope Dave made enough money to justify doing this again next year.

I think he made enough money to justify doing it for Thanksgiving, for Loi Krathong, for New Years Eve and at every other opportunity! wink.png

Jeez WTK the cost of the fireworks had to be high and even though the place was full a lot

of the tables were only used one time when they could have been used two or three times with out the free show.

HelloDolly, please don't turn my post into a negative; clearly it needs to be making money to keep doing this. He's not a charity, nor should he be. We've seen an excellent example of how private enterprising spirit works so much better than just about anything else. It's all good.

( Or does anyone really think it isn't a great location also for Loi Krathong, and other festive occasions..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

HelloDolly, please don't turn my post into a negative; clearly it needs to be making money to keep doing this. He's not a charity, nor should he be. We've seen an excellent example of how private enterprising spirit works so much better than just about anything else. It's all good.

( Or does anyone really think it isn't a great location also for Loi Krathong, and other festive occasions..)

You miss read my post I simply point out that the cost for the show must have been high

and the return money wise per table low as compared to normal operations.

I in no way inferred it was negative. If you insist on a inference it would be that Dave lost money.

Clearly he is not continuing to do this. Trust me there is no show tonight nor will there be one for a while.

Dave makes enough money that he can occasionally do some thing with out making money off of it.

Do not bother to ask me what it is if Dave wanted people to know he would tell them himself.

As for other holidays. I can not see it. There will be shows all around town.

This was a one of a kind thing that nobody would step up for so Dave did it.

I believe he did it out of the spirit the day has back in the States.

I am sorry if you feel this is negative. It is not meant to be.

Sense day one I have been telling Dave I want to reserve a table for Loi Krathong.

I do not expect Dave to put on a show I just feel it will be a great place to watch some of the other displays.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Also want to echo the cheers for a good night of festivities and a great display ! Aussie John n Co were great, the food was nice, and the staff were running their a*ses off. Props to Dave, but also want to acknowledge the German guy I met who may be his partner or the manager, and then again, all the staff who were running sweating. Nice to see some leadership with this whole event. Kudos well deserved by all.

You miss read my post I simply point out that the cost for the show must have been high

I in no way inferred it was negative. If you insist on a inference it would be that Dave lost money.

Clearly he is not continuing to do this. Trust me there is no show tonight nor will there be one for a while.

Dave makes enough money that he can occasionally do some thing with out making money off of it.

Do not bother to ask me what it is if Dave wanted people to know he would tell them himself.

Sense day one I have been telling Dave I want to reserve a table for Loi Krathong.

I do not expect Dave to put on a show I just feel it will be a great place to watch some of the other displays.

I gather the owner's name is Dave? wink.png

I gather the owner's name is Dave? wink.png

Sounds like he is Dave's P.R. man.

I made a suggestion to Dave that he put on a Music on the River night maybe once a month. No fireworks. Just a good evening of live music and good food, good atmosphere and service. Thanks again Dave and Co. for a great 4th.

Also want to echo the cheers for a good night of festivities and a great display ! Aussie John n Co were great, the food was nice, and the staff were running their a*ses off. Props to Dave, but also want to acknowledge the German guy I met who may be his partner or the manager, and then again, all the staff who were running sweating. Nice to see some leadership with this whole event. Kudos well deserved by all.

Dave's the owner, Michael is manager - Danish from memory.

I made a suggestion to Dave that he put on a Music on the River night maybe once a month. No fireworks. Just a good evening of live music and good food, good atmosphere and service. Thanks again Dave and Co. for a great 4th.

Mike is not the owner or a partner he is an entry level employee that does not know when to stop talking.. Lets give credit where it is due. Thanks Dave you did a great job.

This is the quote I was refering to.

I'm astounded how Europeans have so much disdain on Americans from the experience I have had.

Please don't lump them all together. Every country and every culture has idiots, but most Europeans are not pretentious bigots.

Ulysses G, you are right! I didn't word it properly for I was high on alcohol and under stress for shorting gold the night before the EU made the interest rate cut. It kept going up and I kept shorting till the very end. As it turned out, thing has gone my way. The big boys have a way of scaring the wit out of you!

Here, I offer my apology to all who get offended! But, I did post my true experience with the many Europeans that I have had met.