True Switched Over To The New Encryption ?

LivinLOS

I am one of these bad guys who used a Dreambox. But contrary to some posters, to use a Dreambox is not necessarely bad. I paid the regular (Platinum) fee to True, just put their card into my Dreambox. And I had all the comfort of a modern receiver plus the recording capabilities.

Now True switched to a new encryption system (I understand ND), which my Dreambox canot (yet) handle, so I had to use the Samsung box supplied by True.

This Samsung box is crap! Sorry, for my bad language, but it is certianly not state-of-the-art. Complicated to use, like switching channels, making several groups of favorites etc.

But most important: It cannot record.

True says, that you can attach an external harddisk. And they charge you an additonal THB 99 per months for allowing you to record. The receiver shows a list of compatible harddisks (recommended, they call it), but none of them are available, neither at Panthip Plaza, nor on the websites of the respective manufacturers.

So I called True again ad they sent a technician who also brought True's external harddisk, 500 GB capacity for which he charged my THB 4800. Wow, that's a lot of money for a 500 GB HD. A 2 TB harddisk costs only 3,700 THB.

Anyway, this external harddisk must be installed in a box, which then connects via eSATA AND USB to the receiver.

The good news is that is works.

The bad news is that True charges THB 99 /M for allowing recording and THB 4,800 for the hardware. I find this outrageous.

It is high time that True will get some real competition They have no shame exploiting their monopoly.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect,this is True,and true to their word will

try and screw every single bht out of you.

I have found a better service and its free, free-tv-video-online.me,

it has 100s of series(up to date as well) films,

I stream from my computer to my LED tv,great picture,no buffer,NO REPEATS !

can watch what I want when I want,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

My Dreambox's still work fine, they are the early ones, the newest is now 6 years old, OK they are not HD compatible so cannot get the HD channels, if they still all work next week maybe will buy the new Dreambox which are HD compatible.. time will tell, not worried as can switch on the sat position-er and mover the dish to Astro which works fine..

As for True, have there internet, no issues in 8 years, very good,......... can't say the same for mobile had Hutch for years, now True, crap phone and very bad coverage, pot luck if it connects at all, almost every call will lose connection when talking.... contract will end soon so can cancel

I posted this comment on another thread but maybe this one is more relevant.

I was told by a True technician that I could see many English speaking channels (BBC World News, ESPN, HBO and quite a few others) on Vinasat. All I need to do is turn my satalllite dish to face east and use my openbox.

He claimed that many expats upcountry use it (especially under the Euro 2012) and that the HD quality is much better than that from True.

Do any of you guys upcountry use that? If so how is it?

Vinasat has lots if decent content. If your cs streams the keys for it then just point your dish at the sat and you are golden.

Thanks.

I am one of these bad guys who used a Dreambox. But contrary to some posters, to use a Dreambox is not necessarely bad. I paid the regular (Platinum) fee to True, just put their card into my Dreambox. And I had all the comfort of a modern receiver plus the recording capabilities.

Now True switched to a new encryption system (I understand ND), which my Dreambox canot (yet) handle, so I had to use the Samsung box supplied by True.

This Samsung box is crap! Sorry, for my bad language, but it is certianly not state-of-the-art. Complicated to use, like switching channels, making several groups of favorites etc.

But most important: It cannot record.

True says, that you can attach an external harddisk. And they charge you an additonal THB 99 per months for allowing you to record. The receiver shows a list of compatible harddisks (recommended, they call it), but none of them are available, neither at Panthip Plaza, nor on the websites of the respective manufacturers.

So I called True again ad they sent a technician who also brought True's external harddisk, 500 GB capacity for which he charged my THB 4800. Wow, that's a lot of money for a 500 GB HD. A 2 TB harddisk costs only 3,700 THB.

Anyway, this external harddisk must be installed in a box, which then connects via eSATA AND USB to the receiver.

The good news is that is works.

The bad news is that True charges THB 99 /M for allowing recording and THB 4,800 for the hardware. I find this outrageous.

It is high time that True will get some real competition They have no shame exploiting their monopoly.

I agree the True supplied HDD prices are outrageous, you would do much better sourcing your own and you don't need to stick to the "recommended" HDDs... I am in the process of testing a bunch of different HDDs (just waiting on an overseas delivery) and will post details of the models that work when possible. I also agree that the extra 99 baht charge is OTT... I didn't even realise it was being levied until I got my bill!

As for the general quality of the Samsung receiver, don't really have any complaints. It has all the connections you could expect and personally I like the fact that the PSU and HDD are external. The Samsung TV controls on the remote are also a nice touch for those with Samsung Screens...

• Like 1

What do you expect,this is True,and true to their word will

try and screw every single bht out of you.

I have found a better service and its free, free-tv-video-online.me,

it has 100s of series(up to date as well) films,

I stream from my computer to my LED tv,great picture,no buffer,NO REPEATS !

can watch what I want when I want,

regards Worgeordie

I just went to this site for a quick check. Seems to work OK but a few of the quickly chosen TV series I like seemd to buffer a lot for me but then I'm on TOT ADSL and max download is 2-3MB on the best days

But great find and thanks for the info

Where can we place bets on that it will be cracked this month ?

Remember it is the same people who make the "pirate" boxes as the ones True use !!!!!

I been there i seen it !

Actually is a real Dreambox of much highe quality then any boxes True had had for 10 years ! (i had paid to them since 1998, so paied enough) !

True had installed new cable system in out Moo Ban ! but so far only 1 had applied for it, and that was for the cheapest internet connection, and he had 2 full days breakdown the first week !!!

So TrueVision wake up, we not pay for shit service !

Where can we place bets on that it will be cracked this month ?

Whats your bet.. They wont have moved to a new encryption thats got a known weakness. Sure by the end of the cycle it will be cracked, but as of now, or one month from now, its secure.

And complaints about the service are less valid now they have 17 HD channels on the package.. Its starting to slowly get more value.

• Like 1