Aflatoxin In Corn And Peanuts In Thailand?

I'm a layman regarding all this, so excuse if my terminology is off a bit here...

I suspect the prevalence of aflatoxin varies hugely, but has the situation improved? From what I've read, the accepted % in Thailand is many many times higher than in the west...

Also, maybe an ignorant question, but does cooking peanuts/corn reduce and/or eliminate the threat caused by it?

I believe the most effective treatment is exposure to sunlight. Microwaving doesnt do much good apparently. I cant tell you how bad the situation is here but common sense says that the conditions are ripe. Cheap feed stocks of unknown origin and long term storage in less than ideal conditions.

• Like 1

I believe the most effective treatment is exposure to sunlight. Microwaving doesnt do much good apparently. I cant tell you how bad the situation is here but common sense says that the conditions are ripe. Cheap feed stocks of unknown origin and long term storage in less than ideal conditions.

Thanks... I think I'm more or less done with corn and peanuts now. I realize there can be other crops affected, but these 2 are the most prevalent... Further research turned up that it's actually the waste produced by the fungus, not the fungus itself...

It's estimated that up to 30% of liver cancer is caused by aflatoxins... (http://ehp03.niehs.n...289/ehp.0901388)

Edited by happysanook