Renting A Condo / Apartment - Deposits, Internet Etc

TheShockMaster

I'm moving over to Pattaya on business for a minimum of a year and I'm looking to rent a condo in Jomtien, Pratumnak or Pattaya. What would be required if to rent a place and how quickly do you think it would take from seeing a place I liked to moving in as I don't really want to spend too long living in a hotel. What sort of deposit can I look to have to pay? Is it the standard one month rent and another month rent as a deposit? If the apartment doesn't have Internet, what sort of turn around time could I expect to get Internet install and up and running in the apartment?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by CalzoHoudini

you can move in depending how quick you can sign the contractsmile.png

95% that you find online are avalible now,but most of the real estate companys websites are old and no uppdates,

Drive around is my best advice,there is signs and walk in to the condos office,most have a board were tenants put

condos for rent or the management can help you in many case.Internet many condo have wifi and its ok for email but not more ex work etc then you need to get your own line and then you need to check before you rent that that building have line avalible.Not the condo but the TOT or 3BB or any one you like.I Found a condo the other day,called 3BB no line box full in that area so check this if importent with internet line.Not more than 1 week to get internet.Most landlord want 2 month deposit+1one month rent,Importen also check what the price is for electric,some condos charge much more the goverment, should be around 4-5baht,not more.

Edited by crille30
  • Like 1

you can move in depending how quick you can sign the contractsmile.png

95% that you find online are avalible now,but most of the real estate companys websites are old and no uppdates,

Drive around is my best advice,there is signs and walk in to the condos office,most have a board were tenants put

condos for rent or the management can help you in many case.Internet many condo have wifi and its ok for email but not more ex work etc then you need to get your own line and then you need to check before you rent that that building have line avalible.Not the condo but the TOT or 3BB or any one you like.I Found a condo the other day,called 3BB no line box full in that area so check this if importent with internet line.Not more than 1 week to get internet.Most landlord want 2 month deposit+1one month rent,Importen also check what the price is for electric,some condos charge much more the goverment, should be around 4-5baht,not more.

Thanks for the info mate. I would prefer to get Internet that isn't shared amongst everyone else in the building as my job requires that I have a fast and secure internet connection. The 2 months Deposit & 1 month rent seems very strange and and expensive way of doing it. Most other countries would only ask for one month rent and one month deposit. This could be a deal breaker.

I have rented for one month at a time and only had to deposit one month security. Have not heard of two month deposit for a year but have no experience with that. I personally would have to be very very certain and that I was going to stay before signing a one year lease. Yes some offer a measurable discount to the monthly rates, but... well there are reasons to not sign long term things. Noisy neighbor moves in next door, services get reduced or eliminated, broken things not of my fault don't get fixed, my needs or desires may change, I stumble upon a signifcantly more desirable place, etc.

I stay in Pattaya 4 to 6 Months a year. I find that usually I can move into long term rental on the day you enquire. As the other poster said, just drive (or in my case walk) around and drop in see the managers and ask. My present little room costs me 6,000 baht per Month + water + electric + cleaning. It will total around 8,000 p/m all in including everything. The deposit charge in my case was 5,000 baht. At the end of the Month I will check out, they will deduct the water, electric and cleaning at that time and give me back whatever deposit is left.

My apartment had no internet. I went to Central 3rd floor, there is a bookshop up there that sell truemove aircards that operate on the 3G network. It cost me 1390 with 1 GB included. You can buy one of those and install it on the day you buy it and you will have fairly good internet in your room in a matter of minutes. Nothing is too hard in Pattaya, good luck.biggrin.png

You can also get serviced apartment where everything is ready the moment you are, including Internet . But it does cost more.

Some Internet co's take 1 month to connect, some weeks.

Check out Sophon Internet , it's cable not adsl, stable and fast . They will come to install within 24 hours if available in the area

There is a smallish apartment block I used to stay in,people rent it there for twelve months at a time,leave for few month,returning after European winter ,has 12 meg wi fi ,very convenient,and friendly,popular too,newish small place next door,just about to open too,in Pattaya. Ill PM you with details ,think small deposit,one month needed,get it back ,no problem

I find that advertised places (for sale and for rent) often don't exist at all and are just there to attract interest.

All prices and conditions are 100% negotiable and should be negotiated very hard indeed. Pattaya is fantasy-land when it comes to condo prices for rental and sale. Yearly rentals should attract a large discount on the advertised monthly rate (I got 50% but I was probably lucky and/or determined), and the monthly rates are open to discussion also.

Even in the peak of high season Pattaya is never full and there are always condos available. In low season there are thousands available. The best ones, of course, get taken before the overpriced rubbish does but even so you should use this oversupply to your advantage.

If you know of a building that you like, you will probably find a better deal by contacting a rental office in the actual building if there is one.

Many owners seem to consider that deposits form an integral part of the rental price and are not really intended to be returned at all, so watch out for this. By paying the deposit to an agent and getting a receipt from them you may avoid this problem, assuming that the agent doesn't just pocket the deposit himself.

If there are things wrong/broken/missing in the unit, insist that they are fixed before you hand over a single Baht. Otherwise they will probably never get done.

No one involved in Pattaya real estate (owners, agents) is your friend, no matter how friendly they may seem and no matter what their nationality is. They are only interested in getting money out of your pocket and into theirs.

As mentioned:

Watch out for overpriced electric charges (the proper price is under 5B/unit). Cable internet can be installed almost instantly, if your building is suitable for it. ADSL may take a week or more.

• Like 2

I find that advertised places (for sale and for rent) often don't exist at all and are just there to attract interest.

All prices and conditions are 100% negotiable and should be negotiated very hard indeed. Pattaya is fantasy-land when it comes to condo prices for rental and sale. Yearly rentals should attract a large discount on the advertised monthly rate (I got 50% but I was probably lucky and/or determined), and the monthly rates are open to discussion also.

Even in the peak of high season Pattaya is never full and there are always condos available. In low season there are thousands available. The best ones, of course, get taken before the overpriced rubbish does but even so you should use this oversupply to your advantage.

If you know of a building that you like, you will probably find a better deal by contacting a rental office in the actual building if there is one.

Many owners seem to consider that deposits form an integral part of the rental price and are not really intended to be returned at all, so watch out for this. By paying the deposit to an agent and getting a receipt from them you may avoid this problem, assuming that the agent doesn't just pocket the deposit himself.

If there are things wrong/broken/missing in the unit, insist that they are fixed before you hand over a single Baht. Otherwise they will probably never get done.

No one involved in Pattaya real estate (owners, agents) is your friend, no matter how friendly they may seem and no matter what their nationality is. They are only interested in getting money out of your pocket and into theirs.

As mentioned:

Watch out for overpriced electric charges (the proper price is under 5B/unit). Cable internet can be installed almost instantly, if your building is suitable for it. ADSL may take a week or more.

I agree with most of what you said, just a few points

Internet is not instant. I know when i connected to TOT, i had to wait for 3 weeks

When i connected to CAT, i had to wait for 10 days

The only one where i did not have to wait was Sophon.

Also about the deposit being paid to an agent, this is even worse than paying to the owner direct, because the deposit is agents fee's,after that you never see the agent or deal with him at all.

when its time to move out and get the deposit, owner who is not planning to give it back, will tell you to see the agent, and agent will tell you to see the owner, eventually one just gives up because both stop to answer your calls.

Do not forget when renting though an agent, price is higher by about 1-2 months worth of rent spread over the rental period, this is the amount agent gets to keep

Depending on the budget, i would go for serviced apartment because everything is already set, have the cleaning included, when you know your time is up, just stop to pay rent 1 month before and thats your deposit,

An easier way to do that ,is just keep delaying the rent payment for as long as you can for the last month, usually you can get away with it till about 15th of the month, then just advise them to take it out of deposit and pay about 1/3 which is to cover the utilities.

While they will not be too happy, many will accept it, because rooms is cleaned daily so they know if any damage, they also know roughly the utility.

I may well be wrong, but in 3 of my experiences renting serviced, this was what i did and no one had a problem with it

Internet is not instant. I know when i connected to TOT, i had to wait for 3 weeks

I was quite specific about cable internet (ie Sophon) being instant where available, but ADSL taking a week or more.

I was quite specific about cable internet (ie Sophon) being instant where available, but ADSL taking a week or more.

oh yes, sorry i misreadsmile.png

Thanks to everyone for their input. With regards to the Internet situation. I would require a reliable and secure Internet connection, preferably not shared with the rest of the building as my job requires it and as fast as possible. Willing to pay what ever it costs to get it installed as quickly as possible.

I'm looking for a fully furnished condo preferably with a shared pool and gym if possible.

I think the consensus from the various people I have been in contact with is that I turn up in Pattaya, stay in a hotel for a couple of days and spend that time looking around different buildings. I've frequented Pattaya and Jomtien quite a few times over the years so I know my way around. Hopefully something crops up quickly.

Thanks again.

Just to further the discussion. I did a walk around the Pattaya Klang area and checked out 4 apartment blocks. Some of the cheaper ones were full. No doubt the correctly priced ones are sold out first. I saw a beautiful fully serviced apartment, electric, water, wifi all in 12,000 baht per Month but no pool. Others were 8,000 p/m with 5,000 deposit + Water + electric. All those apartments were charging electric at 7 baht per unit, that is normal for an apartment.

Another hotel was offering fully serviced rooms for 8,900 p/m with wifi + water + electric, no bad but not as good as the one for 12K all in.

If you are after a pool, then look at some of the condo blocks around 3rd. road behind Big C Pattata Klang. There is one newish block with good pool reasonable prices, good luck with you search and as Darrel says, ask for a discount.

Just to further the discussion. I did a walk around the Pattaya Klang area and checked out 4 apartment blocks. Some of the cheaper ones were full. No doubt the correctly priced ones are sold out first. I saw a beautiful fully serviced apartment, electric, water, wifi all in 12,000 baht per Month but no pool. Others were 8,000 p/m with 5,000 deposit + Water + electric. All those apartments were charging electric at 7 baht per unit, that is normal for an apartment.

Another hotel was offering fully serviced rooms for 8,900 p/m with wifi + water + electric, no bad but not as good as the one for 12K all in.

If you are after a pool, then look at some of the condo blocks around 3rd. road behind Big C Pattata Klang. There is one newish block with good pool reasonable prices, good luck with you search and as Darrel says, ask for a discount.

As others have pointed out ,usually 8 baht per unit for electric ,but that pays for stair landing charges ,security outside lighting plus water pump to get water to apartments. I use AC most nights, ,not once have I clocked up more than 1500 baht and yes I pay 8 baht

As others have pointed out ,usually 8 baht per unit for electric ,but that pays for stair landing charges ,security outside lighting plus water pump to get water to apartments. I use AC most nights, ,not once have I clocked up more than 1500 baht and yes I pay 8 baht

Thats good to know as when I check out of here I have to pay 8 baht as well, cheers.

Thanks for all the help. I have a budget of around 25-30K per month for the rent plus what ever the electric and water charges are on top of that. The main thing is spacious, with reliable fast internet, a balcony and on a taxi route. I'm looking around everywhere online but it is almost pointless as I'm not moving over until September.

I have a budget of around 25-30K per month for the rent ....

That should get you at least a 1-bed unit in just about every well-located condo building in town on a yearly contract. I dont know if you want more space than that, nor do you say how much you are prepared to pay for a nice view.

If I was looking for a nice place not far from bahtbus routes I would be looking at Jomtien. Indeed that is where I live. Wong Amat and Pratumnak are possibilities, but I dont like either very much because they are mostly quite a long way from the bahtbus routes.

If you are going to be working at a location outside your condo, then perhaps narrowing your search to that area will help.

If you need to be on a baht bus route, then that will narrow it again.

25-30K per month will get you a modern furnished 1 bedroom in some of the nicer buildings.

My wife and I spent over six months searching for just the right place for long term residency, and were successful this past January - we have a place right on Wong Amat beach, shared pool, gym, government rates for utilities, quiet neighbors, great landlord, and good management. Family Mart across the street, and several restaurants within 500 meters.

Had cable internet (BTV) installed in one day, and the few times it has gone down, the service people were here within the hour.

PM me if you want more info and/or a recommendation for the agent that we used.

I should say in my post 2 month deposti was in every case with real estate agent,most totaly useless,old shit on there websites.You have a great budget so you will get nice condo for that money,iam poor so still looking below 18k,in center Pattaya and 1 bedroom.Not find a good one yet.

Just remember I found a super condo in wong mat,1bedrrom,pool,gym realy nice,and he give you internet also,He want 30k and its worth it,I want it but not my budget.If you want more info send pm and I can give you info.

Edited by crille30

If I think you were looking at one I think you were ,there is a pool,new build ,next door 50 baht a day to use, but hell join the ex pats club,600 baht for life and free use of their meeting place pool too,all week,huge pool,who the hell wants the sticks,jontiem,nakula or whatever?

I think you can get a 1 bedroom at Northshore Condo Soi 5 in your budget.

Nice.

I think I'm going to have a look at this place. Some nice looking apartments. Although I'm sure a few of Pattaya's most notorious characters live there. Let's not go in to that though. Thanks for the recommendation Paul.

Nice.

I think I'm going to have a look at this place. Some nice looking apartments. Although I'm sure a few of Pattaya's most notorious characters live there. Let's not go in to that though. Thanks for the recommendation Paul.

There are rental advertisments on a board in the lobby and a real esate agent out front that handles some units.

Asking prices are high so be prepared to work them down.

Thanks for all the help. I have a budget of around 25-30K per month for the rent plus what ever the electric and water charges are on top of that. The main thing is spacious, with reliable fast internet, a balcony and on a taxi route. I'm looking around everywhere online but it is almost pointless as I'm not moving over until September.

There are a number of serviced condos available in your price range, including internet. You pay water + electric. No deposit. Check www.dancewatchers.com

There are a number of serviced condos available in your price range, including internet. You pay water + electric. No deposit. Check www.dancewatchers.com

Dancewatchers do have some really nice units, but they aren't cheap. They specialize in renting out daily/weekly/monthly. Not really long term, though some units do get setup that way. Plus, it's in the VT buildings. Not everybody's cup of tea?

OP: We did this 2 years ago. I spent weeks looking at stuff online, and weeks getting replies back from RE agents saying the units were no longer available. Really frustrating. We then found one that looked great. Almost put money down. Glad we didn't. Upon inspection, it was horrible. Beautiful inside, but really bad on the outside. View was the building next door, not more than 20M away. Right into another unit. Tenants were pretty ragged. Noise was terrible as it was right next to a construction site. It took us about 10 days to find a decent unit.

I'd recommend narrowing it down to what location you're interested in. Do you want Central Pattaya to be right in with all the action? Or a bit further out, like Jomtien, Naklua or Pratumnak (be careful with Pratumnak, it can be a long walk or an expensive scooter ride to get to the baht bus, not fun when it's raining).

Central Pattaya is great, but crowded and noisy. Further out "can" be quieter, but harder to get into town if you desire.

The place we rented had internet via the building. Instant access and blazing fast. This building is a bit out of town, and not good for you, but just wanted to let you know internet can be setup quickly, depending on the building. We rented for 4 months. Which made it hard as most nice places we looked at had a minimum of a 1 year contract. Some 6 months. Very few were month to month. Plus, we were here in mid December. Quality places went fast as it was the start of the high season. September is SLOW.

I used these guys and highly recommend them. No problems at all getting my deposit back. The agent spent 2 days showing us around. Yes, you pay a bit more, but being a newbie, getting help like this is great.

http://www.paradisecitygroup.com/

I also recommend Alan Bolton's company. Very professional.

http://www.pattaya-property.net/

As stated, you're going to pay more going through a RE agent. Cheapest way to find a place is to find a building you like, then talk with the onsite Thai manager. This is a long process, but can save you a bunch of money, as Darrell has pointed out.

Here's a good online map for review:

http://www.thaiwaysm...ap_pattaya.html

Though I found most ads to be out of date, this site has an excellent listing of the buildings in the area. Good place for basic research:

http://jomtien-property.com/?p=index

This agency is very good also and gets good reviews from folk here in Pattaya:

http://www.thaiproperty.com/

Pattaya Mail has a decent online classifieds:

http://www.pattayamail.com/

As does Thaivisa.com!!!

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/

Good luck!!!!

Nice.

There are rental advertisments on a board in the lobby and a real esate agent out front that handles some units.

Asking prices are high so be prepared to work them down.

I am curious. Not criticizing, just curious.

The OP states a budget of 25-30K, and wants a spacious flat. I look at Northshore on Pattaya Condo Guide, and see 60 condos for rent from 35K to 135K, and most of the lower priced ones are quite small. Anything 45K and below is 80 square meters or less.

Do you really that the OP will be able to negotiate a 25-35% reduction from the asking price to get a decent sized unit, especially given that it appears he is inexperienced in these matters in Thailand, more specifically Pattaya?

The fact that there are many condos for rent in the building may well be an indication that the asking prices are out of whack with the value, but still - even by going direct and avoiding use of an agent, that is still a very serious reduction from asking to negotiated price.

I have worked/lived in Pattaya for 7 years and have changed apartments 4 times. I usually locate my places to rent by going to the apartment offices because the "good" apartments are a bit selective in who they will rent to so may not advertise in the newspaper or go through an agent. These better apartment/ condo complexes want long term renters, not short term. If you are working like I am, you do not want to live in an apartment that has vacationers in it that will party until midnight. Once you arrive in Pattaya, you need to check out for the type of people that stay in the complex, if there are any noisey bars or construction next door... What kind of security they have. The pain in the arse I find with renting is that the owner sometimes does not give you the full deposit (2 months usually). They will make up some excuse not to give you the one month back.