Small Chili (Pick Hom)

cobbler

My wife grows enough rat turd peppers for herself and her family. It takes a LOT of these little peppers to make a kilo. I seriously doubt that one plant would make a kilo during the life of the plant. Most families in this area have pepper plants scattered around their houses. To raise them commercially would just be too labor intensive.

Hi GaryA.I think the little toe nail size chillis you are talking about would take a lot to make up a kilo.,Big difference is The people who are doing them comercialy ,have a very high rainfall..They are south .I understand,maybe it's difficult for you to imagine these areas have massive rainfall . through out the year.unless you've been there.It never ceases to amaze me how many different trees they can jam in together,rai after rai..It's a totally different climate,so just add poo and wait.Like doing anything as a business 1 needs to do it properly.I just thought I'd throw an idea out there because with sprinklers or rainfall ,this can be done.Have 1 village in the south farming 2,500 rai of these comercialy for export to Malaysia.Also you don't need massive land to do it.Pickers are paid on a percentage of the local price not export price,however even local price is 90 baht per kilo up.

Cheers Cobbler

Edited by cobbler