Help! I Got A Call Today...

] dude thats simply WRONG ..... they will find out at the 90 day reporting time NOT 10 months from now , every 90 days he needs to verify his visa still applys , not every year or 10 months from now ...... his visa does not apply so they will find out in less than 90 days. But at least we agree that he should just go and talk to them right away thats the important thing.

For the OP ..... the 90 day reporting is done for situations just like this or other situations where peoples 1 year visa no longer applys , just so they can find out or verify that it's still good in 90 days rather than 10 months down the road. All 1 year visa holders need to report to verify their situation every 90 days. All everyone actually not just 1 year people.

Actually a 90 day report is identify that the person concerned is intending on staying in Thailand more than 90 days and to give their address, not to verify their visa status and not all 1 year visa holders do a 90 day report, some need to visa run every 90 days.

As regards your comments as regards inheritance laws...what you are staying may be correct if parties were married in community of property and there is no defined will, but if the deceased has specified in a will something else ie leaving property to a family member, then the inheritance rule would not apply

Yes semper I already said I was mistaken ..... obviously if your not the person who inherits something the rule doesn't not apply because you are not inheriting it ...........

At a time like this, the guy will be grieving. He's likely having a rough time of things, with a million problems while he's unable to think straight, hence why he's asked his friend to find out the details for him, rather than asking himself.

imo, if you pass onto your friend the below advice, it'll hopefully help him to organise his mind a little:

1/ Forget about visas, inheritance and property for now. Worst case scenario, by not worrying about this for a couple of weeks, is that it could potentially be 500 Baht a day for overstaying, but when you've just lost your wife, that's not really going to be your primary concern at the moment.

2/ Concentrate on the funeral and on giving his wife the send off which she deserves. This will be expensive, but don't worry about that, as it's a necessary cost.

3/ After the funeral etc are taken care of, then either a) Leave the country, get a tourist visa and come back, or B) goto immigration and sort out another type of extension of stay or similar. This will give him a temporary stay (1-3 months) in Thailand for the time being.

4/ Then, sort out the transfer of assets, including property, from the inheritance.

5/ Assuming there's some property going to the husband, he then has 1 year to offload it. It has to go to someone, his only question is, does he want to retain the property or cash it in?? If he transfers it to a family member/friend who he trusts, then he can maintain use of the land for now. Otherwise he can sell it, depending on what he wants to do. This will cost a bit of money to transfer the title, but it's a necessary cost so don't worry about it.

6/ Decide on your own future. Will you stay or will you go? Thailand might not be the same country without your wife here, maybe you'll want a change in your life? Or maybe you'll want to stay for longer. You can renew tourist visas until you decide what you want to do. As to stay in Thailand long term, you'll need to either get a job or start studying, since you're too old for a retirement visa. Although if you have children here, that could make things easier. Either way, it's going to be a huge lifestyle change, think about what you want, and where is right for you. You should have plenty of time to think, so there's no need to rush this.

7/ Also at some point in there, you might start thinking about the truck who hit your wife. That's out of your control, you unfortunately will need to rely on the police + your wife's friend to identify the truck, there's very little you can personally do. Try to not focus too much on this, as it's something which is out of your control, at least for now anyway.

• Like 1

Clarification on off-loading property:

If his wife left no will, and OP gets the court order to be executor of the estate ("poo jat karn moradoke") then there is no time limit on selling the assets. They are his in perpetuity.

After I received the court order, I took that to the local land office and had my name added on the land deeds as "administrator of the estate".

Same with car registration, bank accounts, stock holdings, etc. No deadline to divest.

] dude thats simply WRONG ..... they will find out at the 90 day reporting time NOT 10 months from now , every 90 days he needs to verify his visa still applys , not every year or 10 months from now ...... his visa does not apply so they will find out in less than 90 days. But at least we agree that he should just go and talk to them right away thats the important thing.

For the OP ..... the 90 day reporting is done for situations just like this or other situations where peoples 1 year visa no longer applys , just so they can find out or verify that it's still good in 90 days rather than 10 months down the road. All 1 year visa holders need to report to verify their situation every 90 days. All everyone actually not just 1 year people.

Actually a 90 day report is identify that the person concerned is intending on staying in Thailand more than 90 days and to give their address, not to verify their visa status and not all 1 year visa holders do a 90 day report, some need to visa run every 90 days.

As regards your comments as regards inheritance laws...what you are staying may be correct if parties were married in community of property and there is no defined will, but if the deceased has specified in a will something else ie leaving property to a family member, then the inheritance rule would not apply

Yes semper I already said I was mistaken ..... obviously if your not the person who inherits something the rule doesn't not apply because you are not inheriting it ...........

I think his name is Soutpeel.

Update - I had to do my extension at Chaengwattana today and took my friend with me because he was thinking he had 7 days to leave the country. He was told not to worry and to deal with it when he does his next extension. They suggested at that time - flying out and getting a B visa with multiple entries, securing a teacher's position or other employment and a couple of other options. The immi gal suggested he marry her to sort the problem or another Thai. Although she told him she could give him beautiful babies better than another Thai woman. blink.png

• Like 1