Starbucks Thailand Tells Teachers "Order More Coffee Or Get Lost"

george

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where ever there are no clear boundries set, people will always take advantage.

Starbucks need only post a flyer stating that; x purchases of y value, buys you z amount of time within the premises.

Then it is clear to all.

When a McDonalds first opened up in a precinct near my home in the UK, kids treated it as the local hang-out place.

McDonalds were quick to state, those eating in, need purchase a minimum of 1.85 GBP (If I remember correctly), stopping those buying a soda and occupying the seats all day.

Simple.

• Like 1

this should diffuse to canada where starbucks customers sit for hours without purchasing

however starbucks in thailand has gone beyond even the ripoff coffee places in canada

by charging extra not only for soymilk latte's but also for a bit of cold soymilk to cool

down an americano considering the billions of gallons of organic soymilk produced

and the fact you don't have to provide shelter and healthcare and such a huge ecological and

ethical footprint and foodprint for soybeans as you do for dairycows the extra cost is a ripoff

you can't buy a starbucks card in thailand in which the extra cost of the soy is eliminated

my partner and I boycotted starbucks for more than 10 years for its coercive business

practices and it's time to think about doing so again there is lots of good coffee

in bangkok sorry terminal 21 mall starbucks your policies are either out of line

or your employees are improperly trained we don't even drink soymilk at home

because it acts as an artificial estrogen we use organic almond milk and there are

very few places in canada that offer organic almond milk lattes and always with

an extra charge

pc

• Like 1

! I did not realise that sitting for a few hours and nursing a cup of coffee was a hanging offence. Give these people a break. So that spend a few hours learning at SBs. Good. If you want to complain about something find something worth complaining about.

So your one of those one cup coffee huggers eh laugh.png
  • Like 1

I also think their prices are too high and twice now I have had my cup filled up with too much froth and not enough milk. Had to ask them to correct this but it should not happen. I find Wawee coffee fine and they do have free wifi.

• Like 1

There are Starbucks in Thailand? Must have overlooked them. I stopped going there years ago when McDonalds in the US upgraded their coffee to something that was actually better than Starbucks.

And here in Chiang Mai, I can find excellent coffee made from locally grown and roasted beens at local coffee shops.

As far as I am concerned, all the students and tutors should sit at Starbucks as long as they like. I'll stick with the local shops and buy all my coffee there.

David

• Like 1

Starbucks need only post a flyer stating that; x purchases of y value, buys you z amount of time within the premises.

Then it is clear to all.

When a McDonalds first opened up in a precinct near my home in the UK, kids treated it as the local hang-out place.

McDonalds were quick to state, those eating in, need purchase a minimum of 1.85 GBP (If I remember correctly), stopping those buying a soda and occupying the seats all day.

Simple.

post-155923-0-50840300-1343199569_thumb.

post-155923-0-54057800-1343199614_thumb.

I prefer Black Canyon myself, and I live in Seattle. I have no problem with this policy, they are thier to make money and they have a right to run thier business as they see fit. Maybe this will lead to a new business oppertunity for someone else, like a wifi shop that rents space. Like that'd work:)

Its a valid comment, regardless of what the outlet sells, if you are going to spend time on the premises then you should purchase an appropriate amount of their goods or services... Common sense really

Thais tend to do it another way as I've experienced in various upmarket hotels for Sunday brunch. They attack the buffet like a plague of locusts, take all the lobster, caviar and other expensive items (Even if they don't like the taste) and then disperse as quickly as they arrived.

that is the purpose of a buffet any where in the world, i start to think Thai: if u dont like it go back home

They have this in Canada and the rule is if you are there for more than 30 minutes they will come and ask you would mind leaving so that other customers may use the facility. I agree that there are not enough places but tutors can use homes or other areas. If not then just buy more than one coffee. I used to run a real estate business and did most of my work at a coffee shop. They loved me every hour or so \i would order something else.

It is the least you can do for cheap rent of a space. That or switch locations there are usually more than one coffee shop inthe area.

! I did not realise that sitting for a few hours and nursing a cup of coffee was a hanging offence. Give these people a break. So that spend a few hours learning at SBs. Good. If you want to complain about something find something worth complaining about.

Agreed. Maybe Starbucks should make their coffees more affordable to the average Thai.

Public places are not just for hi-so Thais and foreigners. And they wonder why there is class strife in Thailandblink.png

Myself and many others have studied and tutored at Barnes and Nobles, Borders etc. in the US, have never heard any of them complain (although one of them is now defunct). I suppose they would rather have people sipping coffee and reading rather than having an empty store. I think it's called thinking long term with regard to customer service/satisfaction.

Edited by Kilgore Trout
  • Like 2

Then it is clear to all.

Simple.

people dont have any education or respect anymore?

i never even went to toilet in a bar without ordering anything

Agreed. Maybe Starbucks should make their coffees more affordable to the average Thai.

Public places are not just for hi-so Thais and foreigners. And they wonder why there is class strife in Thailandblink.png

Myself and many others have studied and tutored at Barnes and Nobles, Borders etc., have never heard any of them complain (although one of them is now defunct). I suppose they would rather have people sipping coffee and reading rather than having an empty store. I think it's called thinking long term with regard to customer service/satisfaction.

i dont like this kind of Companies, but business is business, so sponsor them yourself for the space

I am surprised more establishments haven't started to clear out these people. It's not just Starbucks, but many other restaurants and food courts also. Anywhere there is air conditioning, tables and chairs is a prime study spot.

From my experience it usually a bunch of kids studying on their own, with one drink between them. True Coffee opened up areas with big tables specifically for these groups. Maybe Thailand should get some librarys/study areas going.

I like to get my Starbucks to go anyways smile.png

They did have such a library/study lounge in the city a few years back...

... and it closed after a few months in operation.

The market is just too weak. Oh yeah -- it wasn't a free lounge. Membership required. And then again... you had to go all the way to the place... unlike Starbucks at every major shopping mall....